• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iFixit Xbox One teardown

Teletraan1

Banned
i dunno man, people will upgrade those. and their optical only receivers too...

People dont upgrade things that appear to work. It takes support for standards to be universally dropped to force people to upgrade devices that for all intents and purposes work. There are probably a ton of people who did not upgrade to HDMI receivers because their old receiver keeps chugging along and there are usually alternative (TOSLINK) connections to keep upgrading at bay. Not to mention the moving target of HDMI receivers, a day 1 HDMI receiver is shit compared to what is available today. (No 3D, a lot only supported 720p pass through, etc) Just like there are probably a lot of people who have Wireless G that keep those because devices that connect to them will fall back to that standard. Not everyone lives on the bleeding edge of technology. In fact few do.

synce

What's up with the speaker? Seems like a weird place and a weird size for one. If they're going to add Siri like functionality why not just use TV speakers?

Flo_Evans

Surely the 8GB of flash will be used for the suspend/resume mode? Presumably that's why it's much faster than the cold boot.

Obviously it can be used for other purposes while the system is being used. Hopefully this can work to speed up the shitty load times that the launch titles feature. Although it being part of the south bridge may mean that's not feasible.

That was my thought.

Seems like there is a lot of room for future cost cutting...so much waste that results in higher manufacturing and quality control cost.

ArmageddB

That were my 2cents in an older thread too. Do we have confirmation on that?

The PS4 doesn't have it, right? Because I already ordered a Seagate 1TB SSHD for my PS4. Pretty clever of Microsoft, I have to say, if it's really that... especially if game-devs have control over what to put on the SS-part.

Surely the 8GB of flash will be used for the suspend/resume mode? Presumably that's why it's much faster than the cold boot.

Obviously it can be used for other purposes while the system is being used. Hopefully this can work to speed up the shitty load times that the launch titles feature. Although it being part of the south bridge may mean that's not feasible.

Maybe it's the "ReadyBoost" chip.

Ah, I see; well it looks cool.

j44AB18491.jpg

joesiv

Isn't that just a heatsink fan?

Pretty sure it's both, you may be assuming that the direction of air flow is down, but I think it actually is sucking air from the inside of the chassis, and exhausting it up, out the vent directly above the fan.

I hope there is some dust protection at the intakes though...

StaSeb

Isn't that just a heatsink fan?

The XBO Fan blows the air out to the top - through the grid-like half of the console.
And I can report it to be very quiet, even under load. The difference to the PS4-fan under load is jarring - but It is no surprise given the smaller energy-draw, bigger case, bigger fan and external PSU.

MCN

Banned
What's up with the speaker? Seems like a weird place and a weird size for one. If they're going to add Siri like functionality why not just use TV speakers?

You know how the Xbox 360 slim beeps when you turn it on or open the disc tray? I'm guessing the Xbox One does something similar, and that's what the speaker is used for.

tenchir

Not saying you're definitely wrong, but how big can their OS be (especially if a max of 3GB DDR is reserved for that plus apps) and why would MS invest money for other apps to load faster... I doubt there will be a lot of loading-intensive apps out on XB1. If it's just for OS-booting 2GB of flash would probably have been enough even considering the OS growing over time.
And if not only for OS, but also for apps, then why only for them and not for games? SSD-tech would be great if you die in a level and the devs were lazy enough to just reload the whole level [those are my most hated loading times in games(!), as if you weren't punished enough by dying and losing progress].

OSes, plural as in 3 OSes.....I would assume that if MS wants their UI to be smooth and SNAP to work pretty well, they would want to store all their apps such as Netflix, Hulu, etc... on NAND for fast loading.

Omni

I can't believe the power brick is as big as it is AND has a fan of it. That may be a first. I can't wait for inevitable moment when the fan dies and the power supply catches fire.
Yeah. Can't believe MS went with it again after all the reports of 360 power bricks catching fire.

Top Bottom