• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iFixit Xbox One teardown

onQ123

Did they break open some headphones & take the speaker? lol that's a pretty big motherboard speaker I wounder what's the story behind this. maybe the Xbox is going to speak back or it's going to us it to talk to the Kinect.

raoqR1wcMaBb6PPC.huge

Hoo-doo

Banned
Did they break open some headphones & take the speaker? lol that's a pretty big motherboard speaker I wounder what's the story behind this. maybe the Xbox is going to speak back or it's going to us it to talk to the Kinect.

raoqR1wcMaBb6PPC.thumbnail

Is there also a red LED hidden behind the Kinect camera Lens? Was 2001 actually a documentary?

FargoDog

Banned
The dGPU is clearly hidden on the reverse side so as not to reveal Microsoft's secrets. It shares that space with rainbows, dragons and unicorns. It is a place capable of great beauty and great darkness, of turning videogames not into pixels on a screen, but of making your television screen into a window. A window that you can peer through and see other worlds, better worlds for you to control and manipulate. The dGPU is not just a chip, a slice of silicon stuck to a plastic board. This an invention to make you become God, to experience God, to create worlds you can shape like a God. The talk of resolution, framerate, texture work, lighting... all nullified by dGPU, which forms not technical jargon, but realities before us.

dGPU. It's so perfect you might believe it doesn't exist.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The dGPU is clearly hidden on the reverse side so as not to reveal Microsoft's secrets. It shares that space with rainbows, dragons and unicorns. It is a place capable of great beauty and great darkness, of turning videogames not into pixels on a screen, but of making your television screen into a window. A window that you can peer through and see other worlds, better worlds for you to control and manipulate. The dGPU is not just a chip, a slice of silicon stuck to a plastic board. This an invention to make you become God, to experience God, to create worlds you can shape like a God. The talk of resolution, framerate, texture work, lighting... all nullified by dGPU, which forms not technical jargon, but realities before us.

dGPU. It's so perfect you might believe it doesn't exist.
Peter Molyneux designs the xbox one?

All the broken promises and failed dreams make sense.

shandy706

Completely forgot about the 8GB of flash.

Has anyone figured out what exactly it is used for?

Green - SK Hynix H26M42003GMR 8 GB eMMC NAND Flash

Holy crap at the size of that speaker...what in the world is that for?

Also, it seems to be mounted just above the disc drive..huh

thats not correct. ram is just in clamshell mode on ps4.

both are clearly double sided.

So point out a single chip that the Bone has on the underside? Also this:

Is the underside of the PS4, notice it's more than just clamshell RAM:

Genesys Logic GL3520 USB 3.0 Hub Controller

Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 4 Gb (512 MB) GDDR5 RAM (total of 8 x 512 MB = 4 GB)

International Rectifier 35858 N326P IC2X

Macronix 25L1006E CMOS Serial Flash Memory

39A207 1328 E1 3FU

what?

lol not correct.

Yes it is, having everything on a single side means the PCB needs to be bigger to accommodate it all, which takes up more internal space, leaving less room for a PSU.

Finster

Is it a speaker? Or a microphone? Those are basically the same thing depending on how you hook them up...

tipoo

Banned

raoqR1wcMaBb6PPC.huge

Looks like the same sort of beeper that is attached to the side of PC cases. I don't think that's for particularly complex sounds like speech, I'm guessing its pretty much limited to tonal beeps.

satam55

Banned
obviously because Sony wants the PS4 to support FM radio tuning...

Sigh. Anybody who buys a 1st-generation PS4 better get ready to sell it off, when Sony releases a PS4 hardware revision. I guarantee you it'll have an updated wireless chip that has 802.11ac, Dual-band WiFi, WiFi Direct, Miracast, & NFC. Especially with the way Sony is pushing Remote Play, Second Screen, & Gaikai.

I'm gonna assume Sony went cheap on the PS4's Wireless chip because of having to spend extra money on GDDR5 RAM. It makes me wonder if I should even buy an extended warranty for my PS4, because I'm definitely gonna flip it as soon as Sony puts out hardware revision with an updated wireless chip.

lupe1.png
I'm interested to see what the wireless chip is in the new PS Vita revision.

That wireless chip! AC and bluetooth come on Microsoft update the drivers!

It might be an energy/power issue.

It is interesting that Bone went with more power phases even when PS4's GPU is beefier and more demanding. Also, it looks better designed having in mind that things like HDMI-in capability adds more complexity to the design. PS4's board looks rushed in comparison. It will be easy for Sony to make a slim version with smaller board looking at that much unused space.

WiFi module its more capable than PS4's with ac and 5ghz band support. But I wonder how it is possible it only have one antenna for 2x2 operation. Anyone with a xbone can tell wich links speeds is this thing capable of with the right AC router?

Also lol at not having a CMOS battery to save time settings. No time for you if you are offline again?

Mr Moose

lol, those engineers! (btw, it's on the APU chip as well 1337SSS)

1337 Super Secret Sauce

What's that 8GB of flash do? Cache 5 minutes video?

Wasn't there 2 updates on their website, one saying flash and the other... I forget, but maybe it's that. Which might mean there are two types of Xbox Ones? One with the flash and one without? Hmm... (Unless the Flash just meant USB Flash Drive lol).

Also lol at not having a CMOS battery to save time settings. No time for you if you are offline again?

random thought: I wonder if the reason for that was to prevent people from abusing the previous 24hr check-in policy (install a game, sell the disc, and then continuously change the clock back so that the 24hrs never expire)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It is interesting that Bone went with more power phases even when PS4's GPU is beefier and more demanding. Also, it looks better designed having in mind that things like HDMI-in capability adds more complexity to the design. PS4's board looks rushed in comparison. It will be easy for Sony to make a slim version with smaller board looking at that much unused space.

WiFi module its more capable than PS4's with ac and 5ghz band support. But I wonder how it is possible it only have one antenna for 2x2 operation. Anyone with a xbone can tell wich links speeds is this thing capable of with the right AC router?

Just because they have a chip capable of x, y and z, doesn't mean they'll use all of those features. They did have plenty of space for a larger/additional antenna though

Sigh. Anybody who buys a 1st-generation PS4 better get ready to sell it off, when Sony releases a PS4 hardware revision. I guarantee you it'll have an updated wireless chip that has 802.11ac, Dual-band WiFi, WiFi Direct, Miracast, & NFC. Especially with the way Sony is pushing Remote Play, Second Screen, & Gaikai.

I'm gonna assume Sony went cheap on the PS4's Wireless chip because of having to spend extra money on GDDR5 RAM. It makes me wonder if I should even buy an extended warranty for my PS4, because I'm definitely gonna flip it as soon as Sony puts out hardware revision with an updated wireless chip.

lupe1.png

No point putting in ac or 5Ghz n for remote play when vita doesn't support it. Also I'd rather have the increased range of 2.4GHz for remoteplay - the bandwidth requirement isn't that large. Not the end of he world not to have 5GHz. If you are close enough to your router to get the benefit of it, you're close enough to plug in an Ethernet cable.

Turns the HHD into an SSHD.

That were my 2cents in an older thread too. Do we have confirmation on that?

The PS4 doesn't have it, right? Because I already ordered a Seagate 1TB SSHD for my PS4. Pretty clever of Microsoft, I have to say, if it's really that... especially if game-devs have control over what to put on the SS-part.

gruenel

I'm using wired ethernet so I don't need any of this, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a wifi bridge instead of a new PS4 if you really need 802.11ac? :p

onQ123

lupe1.png

PS3 kept the same old Wireless G from 2006.

tenchir

That were my 2cents in an older thread too. Do we have confirmation on that?

The PS4 doesn't have it, right? Because I already ordered a Seagate 1TB SSHD for my PS4. Pretty clever of Microsoft, I have to say, if it's really that... especially if game-devs have control over what to put on the SS-part.

It could just be where they stored the OSes and apps. The OSes+Apps would load much faster from a flash than the HDD right? Low latency and relatively high read speed would make loading/switching between program almost seamless.

Flash > DDR3 is better than HDD > DDR3.

joesiv

Holy crap at the size of that speaker...what in the world is that for?

Also, it seems to be mounted just above the disc drive..huh
lol, if there is a mic in there somewhere, maybe they have that speaker to noise cancel the sound of the disk drive (and fan?), that'd be sweet!

Nah, that can't be it. The PS4 uses 256MB to cache it's 15 minutes of video

What? No, that doesn't make any sense. That pool of RAM is for the secondary ARM chip. How do you expect it can work otherwise?

No point putting in ac or 5Ghz n for remote play when vita doesn't support it. Also I'd rather have the increased range of 2.4GHz for remoteplay - the bandwidth requirement isn't that large. Not the end of he world not to have 5GHz. If you are close enough to your router to get the benefit of it, you're close enough to plug in an Ethernet cable.

5Ghz was the selling point of WiFI N, IMHO. It's true it have shorter range than 2,4Ghz, but it also is a much less crowded spectrum, so it easier to do 2, o even 3, channels bonding (40/60mhz). Also, if you have any intention of doing high bitrate HD video streaming, you need an AC setup.

Anyway, they both have Gigabit ethernet. Nobody should use WiFi on consoles.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Surely the 8GB of flash will be used for the suspend/resume mode? Presumably that's why it's much faster than the cold boot.

Obviously it can be used for other purposes while the system is being used. Hopefully this can work to speed up the shitty load times that the launch titles feature. Although it being part of the south bridge may mean that's not feasible.

satam55

Banned
Just because they have a chip capable of x, y and z, doesn't mean they'll use all of those features. They did have plenty of space for a larger/additional antenna though

Even if the Vita doesn't support it, 802.11ac, Dual-band WiFi, & miracast would be heavily recommended for Second Screen with Smartphones/Tablets & Gaikai.

It could just be where they stored the OSes and apps. The OSes+Apps would load much faster from a flash than the HDD right? Low latency and relatively high read speed would make loading/switching between program almost seamless.

Flash > DDR3 is better than HDD > DDR3.

Not saying you're definitely wrong, but how big can their OS be (especially if a max of 3GB DDR is reserved for that plus apps) and why would MS invest money for other apps to load faster... I doubt there will be a lot of loading-intensive apps out on XB1. If it's just for OS-booting 2GB of flash would probably have been enough even considering the OS growing over time.
And if not only for OS, but also for apps, then why only for them and not for games? SSD-tech would be great if you die in a level and the devs were lazy enough to just reload the whole level [those are my most hated loading times in games(!), as if you weren't punished enough by dying and losing progress].

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

lupe1.png

You realize how many consumers still don't have wireless n routers. The AC adoption rate is soooooo low.

Also I always wire my console as my router is on my tv stand breh.

satam55

Banned
You realize how many consumers still don't have wireless n routers. The AC adoption rate is soooooo low.

Also I always wire my console as my router is on my tv stand breh.

patrice.png
I have a 802.11g wireless router that I've had for a few years, that's still brand new in the box. I wonder how much I can get for it on eBay?

dcx4610

I can't believe the power brick is as big as it is AND has a fan of it. That may be a first. I can't wait for inevitable moment when the fan dies and the power supply catches fire.

bes.gen

I can't believe the power brick is as big as it is AND has a fan of it. That may be a first. I can't wait for inevitable moment when the fan dies and the power supply catches fire.

pretty sure 360brick also had a fan.. at least the early ones.

lupe1.png

you say that now, but when Sony adds FM Radio to Music Unlimited i will have the last laugh!

Top Bottom