• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm playing Nintendo Switch tomorrow at PAX, what unanswered questions do you have?

balohna

I'll only believe digital triggers when someone's torn the thing apart or Nintendo has unequivocally said they're digital.

EulaCapra

- Size and comfort of L, R, ZL, ZR, SL, and SR shoulder buttons.
- If it feels radically different in comfort playing horizontally on a Joycon L as it does on a Joycon R.
- HD Rumble impressions and if it feels too weak or not.
- Pointer controls on Joycon R? I haven't read too many impressions on that.

There is not.

In the interview, Mr Aonuma confirmed that the HD rumble feature will not be present in the game due to the company wanting a similar experience for Wii U and Switch owners.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...breath_of_the_wild_will_not_feature_hd_rumble

The example he gave is that he couldn't implement something like counting the number of ice cubes in a glass in Breath of the Wild because it couldn't be done on Wii U.

We have no idea what this means for enhanced feedback for stuff that's otherwise already in the Wii U game.

GAMETA

Banned
Are you going to play Breath of the Wild?

Could you please try to shield surf on the water? Would be better if you could go down a slope to get some speed and then into the water I haven't seen anyone try, I'm curious to see what happens :)

TheMoon

Excuse my ignorance but what is digital and analog anyways?

you know what digital means, though, right? ones and zeros. yes or no. on or off.

a digital button is thus a button which can be either pressed or not pressed.

the opposite of that is a button that can be pressed a little, a little more, even a little bit more than that, and a lot, etc. Do you have a GCN, Xbox 360, DualShock 3/4 controller? Those triggers are analog. All the other buttons on there are digital.

- Pointer controls on Joycon R? I haven't read too many impressions on that.

Nothing being demoed uses it.

you know what digital means, though, right? ones and zeros. yes or no. on or off.

a digital button is thus a button which can be either pressed or not pressed.

the opposite of that is a button that can be pressed a little, a little more, even a little bit more than that, and a lot, etc. Do you have a GCN, Xbox 360, DualShock 3/4 controller? Those triggers are analog. All the other buttons on there are digital.

I can't resist being a wiseass about the fact that Dualshock 2/3 actually have analog face buttons as well. Sorry about that.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think it's male, but recessed. The plastic probably lines up with the holes on the bottom of the tablet, then pushing the tablet down makes sure it lines up and exposes the male plug on the base.

E: super garbage mockup
8TXG8HJ.png

This is the most sane way I can see it working, and working safely.

That would make sense.

Buggy Loop

Wait...so there is a male connection on the Switch unit itself and it slots into a female connection on the dock? That seems backwards to me.

I was wondering that with the photo.

I think the plastic part we see inside the dock, that looks like a female connection, is actually like a lever system where when it's aligned, you push it a bit further and it'll make the male connector pop out of there to make the connection? Less chance to break it that way.

majik13

There is no HD rumble for Zelda.

Where was this confirmed? I been saying in multiple threads telling people they shouldnt get their hopes up because Nintendo hasnt officially confirmed it, but more and more impressions popped up. And seems like more or less people beleived it was there. Thats why i was asking for impressions because I still wasnt sure if it was there or not. But do we have official confirmation either way yet?
And I dont count the treehouse tweet.

OmegaFax

Bluetooth headphones ... or bluetooth connectivity for that matter. I think EarPods and the likes from Beats, Samsung, Bose ... they've been offering some great bluetooth headphones for the last couple of years. Vita supports Bluetooth audio. PS4 doesn't.

Padinn

I want to know more about the actual Tegra chip used (frequencies, cores, ect), but I'll be amazed if they answer that.

If you get a chance to play Splatoon 2, can you see if we can switch weapons between matches or if it's like the first one and you have to quit out of your lobby to do so.

ReyVGM

Ask if the accounts are tied to the console, or if you can log-in with your account on any system.

Also, if you are going to record and play BotW, PLEASE climb the inside of the Temple of Time. There's a platform inside that no one has climbed yet and there's something there.

MDave

Feel for air blowing out of the vent if there is any, and it would be nice if the Switch detects the vent is being blocked or covered then warns you about it or else it powers down as a safety precaution.

TheMoon

I want to know more about the actual Tegra chip used (frequencies, cores, ect), but I'll be amazed if they answer that.

The temp they hired to stand at the booth will answer all your questions about stuff only engineers at NCL and NTD will know and PR would never let them tell anyone.

Ask if the accounts are tied to the console, or if you can log-in with your account on any system.

They won't (and can't) answer that.

You might not be able to find out but does it have achievements?

That's an easy no, even without official comment.

Caelus

Someone's probably answered this already - are the ABXY buttons clicky like the 3DS or more mushy like the DS lite and Wii buttons?

rochers

Neo Member
I'm not sure if anyone else has asked this, but could you ask if you can plug in some earphones and check how loud the volume on it is? I love my 3DSXL but that low max volume still annoys me!

D3VI0US

Hey OP I don't really have any questions per se but it would be interesting to note your impressions of the system up to this point, hardware, pricing, lineup, etc. and see how it changes after you have gone hands on with the Switch.

Hastati

Dunn if there will be info but I'd be interested in hearing about the games boxes versus the ones we've seen from Japan. Are they going to have the awesome interior or be boring?

Alpha_eX

Asking any technical or software questions at these public events is useless because the staff with the console are event staff, hired to only manage the public using the console and help teach controls.

I was at the premier and none of the staff knew anything, one told me Zelda ran at 60fps on the tablet and 1080 60fps on console.

HD rumble is legit, marble demo is incredible but I didn't notice it in any other games.

I'm at PAX South right now and tried the Switch. They had two lines. One was for an open area where you had like six games, the other line was for BotW. I got there super early and into whatever line I could which turned out to be the BotW line.

My impressions on the Switch:

It's surprisingly comfortable. I thought the b button would interfere with the right analog stick but I didn't have many problems. But it was close, someone with bigger hands might have a problem with unintentionally pressing the right analog down as you select B.

The controls click into the tablet and controller dock but don't have a reassuring thunk as you do it, it's more like the click of a cassette player being closed if that makes any sense.

The "dpad" is going to be a problem for some people. The buttons are spaced too far apart, it's not a proper substitute so don't expect to play a lot of retro games on this without the pro pad.

The BotW looked okay. I played it docked but towards the end I was allowed to take it out and use it portably. Once I had it docked I was convinced this is a Zelda that most people will play portably. It's pretty impressive on the small screen but on the tv the game looks terrible. There's tons of pixelation around the characters and textures close to you look blurry. But I think 3ds games look like trash so some of you that are used to those might not even mind it.

My impression on BotW:

Great game, it's fans won't be disappointed. The controls felt alright but it noticed that they do change according to the weapon you're holding which could be a good or bad thing. When I used a heavy axe the controls went I to a more tank-like scheme and I did get turned around and had to pause to reorient the camera and controls. It was a nice 20 minute or so demo. It seems the world map is divided into sections that you move around with using teleporters. I don't know if you can freely walk into other sections or if the teleporters just played a specific role for that part of the game/demo, it could be that each section of the map is its own enclosed area from the look of it. Doing a rough estimate of the distance on the map I traveled and the map as a whole, I think the map is about the size of the first two islands in GTA3.

I'm still not convinced to get the Switch on day 1. But with this demo I think I will be getting one eventually.

For OP: Would you be able to try and check the whole 'charging on the go' idea that's been tossed around since the Type-C slot was discovered? I mean, I doubt they'd let you actually try charging off your external battery if you had one, but that would be neat if they did, or at least could offer some info on it.

Griss

Press the home button and play with the OS.

OS features are all we're really in the dark about. Tell us what the transition speed (from game to home menu) and menu speed are like.

Alpha_eX

OS features are all we're really in the dark about. Tell us what the transition speed (from game to home menu) and menu speed are like.

Thousands of people, press and public have used these same demo units and it's still in the dark.

The demo unit home button is locked.

Doesn't work. First thing I did was try all the buttons and they have these locked to the demo. Share button didn't work either.

It's not unique. I did the same with Wonder Boy on ps4 and couldn't get to the menu.

Sorry, I need to go, my battery is low

Alpha_eX

Guy who played Zelda, did you also find it incredibly awkward to run and jump in Zelda? It's pretty much impossible one handed as the bottom button is run and top jump, think X for run and Triangle to jump.

The game on full screen is ugly, really noticeable.

Top Bottom