• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interstellar - Trailer #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
As history shows, most "classics" take months/years/decades to become such a thing. This sort of instant hyperbolic response just worries me it'll be a one-time sort of experience, like Nolan's other tentpoles.

I see. The way I see it, it's good that people are gushing, but I'm trying to keep expectations in check at the same time. I don't expect an instant classic with any movie, just hope that it'll be an incredible experience and take it from there.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not too worried on exposition dump, unless Christopher radically changed his brother's script. Jonah is definitely more of a show rather than tell kind of writer.

Inception is about an inherently dumb concept in the way that Intersteller isn't though. Pretty much all his movies are kinda dumb on a very base level. Imaginative but nothing meaningful. Space Travel, The Environment, Exploration, Relative Time Travel.. all those thigns.. Its still science fiction but its a lot more conducive to creating something with true weight.

I don't see how those are dumb concepts...

Inception is about an inherently dumb concept in the way that Intersteller isn't though. Pretty much all his movies are kinda dumb on a very base level. Imaginative but nothing meaningful. Space Travel, The Environment, Exploration, Relative Time Travel.. all those thigns.. Its still science fiction but its a lot more conducive to creating something with true weight.

What is dumb about a dream state based movie, how is memento dumb or the prestige or insomnia or inception v

Five

Banned
I don't see how those are dumb concepts...

That's not what she was saying. She was saying that, unlike Inception, Interstellar has some concepts that aren't inherently dumb.

I disagree. I don't think exploring the dreamscape is inherently dumb. Some of my favorite media (Psychonauts, Alice: Madness Returns) comes from exploring the dreamscape. But that's beside the point.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What is dumb about a dream state based movie

Turns out quite a bit.
Don't get hung up on the word dumb, I'm just saying Interstellar has a chance to differentiate itself from Nolans filmography because the subject matter is just a few degrees less silly. The Prestige is an incredibly silly movie as well. Although I adore it.

Turns out quite a bit.
Don't get hung up on the word dumb, I'm just saying Interstellar has a chance to differentiate itself from Nolans filmography because the subject matter is just a few degrees less silly. The Prestige is an incredibly silly movie as well. Although I adore it.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the concept of dreams within dreams and performing actions which affect each state and the slowdown of time as well as the main concept of planting and stealing ideas within each state. It might have been a concept In Scifi but this is not a book this Is a 2 hr movie

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there is anything wrong with the concept of dreams within dreams and performing actions which affect each state and the slowdown of time as well as the main concept of planting and stealing ideas within each state. It might have been a concept In Scifi but this is not a book this Is a 2 hr movie

I don't think there is anything wrong with it either. I'm saying its kinda silly and probably not something that would belong in the pantheon of all time greatest human expression.

However, a movie about finding a new planet because ours is dying is.. getting closer. We actually fly in space. We have actually viewed different worlds from the surface with our own eyes. With how real the effects of climate change are becoming its something that hits a lot closer to home than dualing magicians or dream invaders.

Maddocks

Got my IMAX Nov 4th ticket and my Grauman’s Chinese Theatre Midnight ticket on the 6th.

I'm so ready for this movie.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it either. I'm saying its kinda silly and probably not something that would belong in the pantheon of all time greatest human expression.

However, a movie about finding a new planet because ours is dying is.. getting closer. We actually fly in space. We have actually viewed different worlds from the surface with our own eyes. With how real the effects of climate change are becoming its something that hits a lot closer to home than dualing magicians or dream invaders.

But...I still don't get it. The point of Inception wasn't about dreams within dreams. It's like calling 2001 dumb because it involved an alien rock that caused creatures to evolve. Yeah, if you're going to simplify it to one aspect of it, then yeah it'll sound dumb

TheXbox

Nolan would actually be one of my favorite directors if he could write dialogue worth a damn. Every script he writes or is involved with oozes melodrama, and the lines in this trailer don't give me hope.

so im guessing the movie ends with him either never seeing his kids again, or by the time he does theyre old as hell and he's still fairly young.

tumblr_n401iyWZ731sg31w3o2_250.gif

Is this a Hans Zimmer joint?

Stoze

Nolan would actually be one of my favorite directors if he could write dialogue worth a damn. Every script he writes or is involved with oozes melodrama, and the lines in this trailer don't give me hope.

I don't remember many melodramatic lines in Memento and Prestige, Batman and on I agree with though. The fact his brother has a writing credit on this one gives me hope. But yeah, Nolan has had a big problem with dialogue for a while now, and he's also never proven himself to be able to draw up much emotion.

Nolan is also incredibly weak when it comes to combat scenes despite being known for big blockbusters. So many forgettable fight scenes in the Batman movies. I've seen Inception multiple times now, and the snow mobile action scene may be one of if not the worst he's filmed.

Luckily the dude does jaw dropping set pieces right, so I'm still really excited for this. And despite his flaws I do like all his movies, and even love some of them.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
There's a line in one of the trailers that just boggles my mind:

For every hour we spend on that planet, seven years will have gone by on earth.

Blader

As history shows, most "classics" take months/years/decades to become such a thing. This sort of instant hyperbolic response just worries me it'll be a one-time sort of experience, like Nolan's other tentpoles.

So what you're saying is, Inception will be a classic in 10 years.

Damn. The only theater here showing it in 70mm IMAX is the IMAX Dome at the science museum. Not a huge fan of the dome theaters.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Here's hoping that the space parts of this movie is actually over 50% of the duration of the movie. Don't care much about family drama, I just want to see SPACE!

Here's hoping that the space parts of this movie is actually over 50% of it. Don't care much about family drama, I just want to see SPACE!

I believe that's definitely the case. Apparently the Earth stuff is only the first 20-30 minutes. The movie itself is about 3 hours long so there will be plenty of space.

inm8num2

Me too.

It's going to be tough but I'm hanging in there.

Hnnng.

*bites finger nails*

Maybe we should start a support group?

I've made it this far, so I think I'll be good. I always watch trailers for highly anticipated movies, so this feels like a weird anomaly...Nolan, what have you done to me?

We'll make it, Busty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom