• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Village

Ken is forever in Ryu's shadow. And yet, he is never jealous or bitter about it, loving Ryu like a brother. WHEN WILL WE GET HOT KEN?!

Eh, dudes rich, actually beat ryu, and everyone plays as him and ryu . And his shoryukens are on fire, and has a hot wife, and has found something to fight for.

Ken's doing alright

kewlbot

There is nothing in the series to indicate Ryu's sexuality one way or the other. Ryu's whole live is about training and getting stronger.

he kinda flirts with ken
yh9FFZy.png

mantidor

As a gay man who is completely into this type of men...

I don't care, it's hot, but he is not presented as a "hot" character so I don't get what you people are saying. Ssxualization isn't just removing a shirt and adding a beard.

As a gay man who is completely into this type of men...

I don't care, it's hot, but he is not presented as a "hot" character so I don't get what you people are saying. Ssxualization isn't just removing a shirt and adding a beard.
Why do you feel he's not being presented in a sexual fashion?

Considering Ryu's personality, I'd say this is totally inline with how to best go about it. He's not the type of guy to bounce his pecs or make suggestive remarks, but the pose and outfit certainly say "look at me, I'm a beefcake!', as evident by the general reaction. If every shirtless fighting game character got this response, then I'd see your point, but this definitely stands out from the norm for a lot of people here.

ClearData

I really find it fascinating the kinds of conversations the SFV roster and costume reveals are fostering. R. Mika was decried as being overly sexualized by some while it seems Ryu's alternate costume is being celebrated for its aesthetics. Aesthetics which many find very pleasing. I also recall a debate around Dragon's Crown's idealized or sexualized artwork even though that was consistently applied to characters of both sexes. It's all very interesting.

I really find it fascinating the kinds of conversations the SFV roster and costume reveals are fostering. R. Mika was decried as being overly sexualized by some while it seems Ryu's alternate costume is being celebrated for its aesthetics. Aesthetics which many find very pleasing. I also recall a debate around Dragon's Crown's idealized or sexualized artwork even though that was consistently applied to characters of both sexes. It's all very interesting.
The dudes in Dragon's Crown were not sexualized in the same fashion as we're seeing here. Those definitely fell into the realm of power fantasy. (With a slight nod to bishonen with some of the faces.)

As for R. Mika, those reactions were to be expected, even though I think some were too harsh, but that's one of the large points at stake here. The reason why a newly sexed up dude is largely getting praise while a sexy female character is being met with some derision, is because designs in general are still extremely unbalanced when it comes to equality in sex appeal. While female characters on a whole definitely need far less sexualization to offer a more varied spectrum, the opposite can be said for male characters, which have quite a long way to go towards being more sexualized to even attempt to approach middle ground, and that's why stuff like "Hot Ryu" is so important and is being lauded as a positive step.

I'm not saying R. Mika should be changed, or that sexy female designs should be banned, I don't think that at all. But for every bodacious babe that shows up, it's just confirming a long set pattern that many are frustrated with, while an intentionally studly dude is seen as a breath of fresh air because they are so few and far between. (And that's also way making the distinction between male sex appeal and power fantasy is important, because as evident by this thread, it's still hard for some people to recognize because the former is still rare.)

Kater

Banned
Fates has armour customisation; and therefore armour removal. You can take off much more than the shirt, but obviously there's not much to see on a stylised 3DS model. The important thing is it sets a precedent for future Smash Bros. games.

I didn't know you could do that now in Fire Emblem Fates. Aw yiss.

There have, and many have their preferences, as always. But it's been a good while since something big, and newly bearded popped up.

Examples of past hawt bearded video game characters:

Metro_Media_MGS3D_001.jpg

tumblr_npcb275Tbs1uw8kzyo5_r1_400.gif

LPb3Bgg.gif

Geralt <3

orioto

Good Art™
As someone with a beard fetish, i think Hot Ryu has overtaken Shirtless Ike as hottest videogame guy

txA9XO9.jpg

KRkVeDH.jpg

This really shows my problem here. I can't believe i'm the only one thinking those ribs on Ryu are super freaky. I guess he's meant to be a lonely vagabond fighter who starve and all.. That's not hot at all that's walking dead material.

Frodo

The impact of this thread, tbh

It's ripples will resonate endlessly and forever change the industry, creating a medium that caters for all players so long as they like beards. The beard-phobic bigots will go down kicking and screaming, soon to be forgotten just as the days when big boobs where all a developer could think of as to deliver fan service to its loyal base, but in the end the Bearded Daddy glory shall prevail and it will cleanse us from the vulgar stain this industry has been so far.

zeopower6

It's ripples will resonate endlessly and forever change the industry, creating a medium that caters for all players so long as they like beards. The beard-phobic bigots will go down kicking and screaming, soon to be forgotten just as the days when big boobs where all a developer could think of as to deliver fan service to its loyal base, but in the end the Bearded Daddy glory shall prevail and it will cleanse us from the vulgar stain this industry has been so far.

Now all da mens gonna get beards.

hmm... I didn't believe it, but there's already shit appearing on pixiv.

Oh my pixiv... Winter Comiket is gonna be good. :eek:

IvorB

Beard Ryu isn't a bear. Not even an otter. (Also, not that hot, but different strokes.)

Also re: pose analysis.

Not really. Starfire is in overtly sexualised poses in a tiny bikini.
Ryu is just standing in a fighting stance.

It's close to the same pose. Look at the torso. Chest pushed forward, arms pulled back, back arched upwards, slightly angled away from the viewer and stomach stretched. Even the centre line is the same. It's a very common pose in sexualised images of women and you can see it being mimicked in the pic of Ryu.

SPCTRE

BEARD PHYSICS

Even if there are some Japanese artbooks from 1998 that describe Mika's design in great detail, my point is that most of the people complaining about Mika are not aware of those books. They simply assumed her design was sexual in nature without any burden of proof, whereas with Ryu, people are being asked to PROVE IT WITH RECEIPTS.

It gets to the point where a male design can never be seen as fanservice, because you have to go through hoops to find some esoteric source stating so (if such a source exists at all)...meanwhile, female designs are just perceived as fanservice by default.

Who cares about the people doing the "perceiving" the devs are not in control of that. Other fans are not in control of that. It is as futile as swinging a can angrily at the sky and asking for rain.

If you could control what you are complaining about.... you probably could control the world. I am not kidding either, to control individuals perceptions about what is presented to them instead of an automatic bias based off of personal preference and opinion.

I was trying to find a gif of the douchey Dante reboot design with his shirt off, but google suggested an animation of Wesker having sex with him so I gave up.

Douchey Dante yes.

Meier

I haven't read the thread, but I think that they released a design squarely aimed at gay men is definitely pretty significant.

Pompadour

This has to have been mentioned in this thread earlier but *traditionally* attributes that would make you a good fighter are also sexually desirable in men. So a shirtless, jacked Ryu does not seem out of the ordinary in a fighting game yet appeals to many heterosexual women/many gay men/etc. As power is traditionally attractive in men but not women, an equivalent would be some waifish, scantily clad fighter that may have a somewhat submissive personality (not that the women in this game fit that bill). Although that's not *traditionally* desirable attributes in men, I imagine it would be to some women and a section of the gay community.

However, Street Fighter does manage to incorporate the fetishistic elements of it's characters into their fighting styles. It's not hard to see how Chun-Li's huge thighs and Mika's giant ass make them better fighters in a bizarre, Street Fighter way.

Windforce

3 (technically 4) games and still no shirtless scene for Nate. It's blasphemous I say. Here's hoping Uncharted 4 changes this! The most we've gotten is a low cut shirt that shows some chest hair.

Yeah it baffles me we didn't see Drake shirtless yet. Hoping for it to be fixed in 4 especialy after they annouced even his body hair would have physics. They wouldn't waste all the effort on these only to cover his body with too much clothing eh? ;)

It's close to the same pose. Look at the torso. Chest pushed forward, arms pulled back, back arched upwards, slightly angled away from the viewer and stomach stretched. Even the centre line is the same. It's a very common pose in sexualised images of women and you can see it being mimicked in the pic of Ryu.
If it were actually close to the poses Starfire is positioned in, it would look something more akin to the images depicted here:
http://www.themarysue.com/introducing-the-hawkeye-initiative/nggallery/thumbnails
There is a Hawkeyed version of the hairflip. There's basically an entire tumblr project of people superpositioning male comic characters into the ridiculous poses that female comic characters are depicted in.

As it stands it's not particularly far removed from something like this.

So this is what it's supposed to feel like to see my gender objectified? Because I don't understand what all the fuss has been about, if that's the case.

So this is what it's supposed to feel like to see my gender objectified? Because I don't understand what all the fuss has been about, if that's the case.

Now you feel what a lot of women are feeling.

Yeah being objectified is not always disrespectful or insulting (being so beautiful that you could be seen as a piece of art may be awesome) but it's sadly often the case (being identified as a living sex doll is hard).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If it were actually close to the poses Starfire is positioned in, it would look something more akin to the images depicted here:
http://www.themarysue.com/introducing-the-hawkeye-initiative/nggallery/thumbnails
There is a Hawkeyed version of the hairflip. There's basically an entire tumblr project of people superpositioning male comic characters into the ridiculous poses that female comic characters are depicted in.

I don't think it's exactly like the female comic book pose but I do think it's deliberately suggestive. Especially considering its promotional material.

Monocle

This really shows my problem here. I can't believe i'm the only one thinking those ribs on Ryu are super freaky. I guess he's meant to be a lonely vagabond fighter who starve and all.. That's not hot at all that's walking dead material.
Yeah, his anatomy is weirdly exaggerated in SF5's art style. I like the idea of Dad Ryu. I just wish I could see him in a game that doesn't distort the human body in such a distracting way.

I don't think it's exactly like the female comic book pose but I do think it's deliberately suggestive. Especially considering its promotional material.
I'd say any suggestiveness essentially comes from the amount of digital flesh on display rather than the particular stances he's in in any of those promotional shots.

That and the beard, I guess. Which has been empirically proven to increases sexy quotient by at least 5 points.

The poses still look to me as typical "power fantasy."

Similarly, shirtless Ike posted earlier isn't in a particularly sexualised pose. He does exude sex appeal though. Oh God Yes.

ZdkDzk

What? Why exactly does it do that? Most men find beards extremely empowering.

Yes. Generally because people find it attractive. Anything that makes someone feel more attractive is probably empowering. It's part of the male power fantasy, because guys assume it to be a part of other's fantasy. That's unavoidable, and why the term "male power fantasy" is kind of busted: as long as it makes the guy look better, it's a "power fantasy".

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'd say any suggestiveness essentially comes from the amount of digital flesh on display rather than the particular stances he's in in any of those promotional shots.

That and the beard, I guess. Which has been empirically proven to increases sexy quotient by at least 5 points.

The poses still look to me as typical "power fantasy."

Similarly, shirtless Ike posted earlier isn't in a particularly sexualised pose. He does exude sex appeal though. Oh God Yes.

Eh. He's more lithely posed than that, though. And he's not actually fighting anyone.

I dunno, considering they could have released promo shots of him doing dragon punches or whatever, I think it's still significant.

Yes. Generally because people find it attractive. Anything that makes someone feel more attractive is probably empowering. It's part of the male power fantasy, because guys assume it to be a part of other's fantasy. That's unavoidable, and why the term "male power fantasy" is kind of busted.

It changes... people used to find "young no hair and no beard" Brad Pitt very attractive (I do) and now that beards are more accepted it can be part of a style.

In 10 years we went from no beard and no hair on the chest to big beard (3 days of stubble in between).

IvorB

I'm not talking about the hair flip but the first image of the lady that's at the top of the page. Does he not seem to be arching his back and pushing his chest out in the pic they released?

Chû Totoro;177311120 said:
Now you feel what a lot of women are feeling.

Yeah being objectified is not always disrespectful or insulting (being so beautiful that you could be seen as a piece of art may be awesome) but it's sadly often the case (being identified as a living sex doll is hard).

The only thing that bothers me about this are the outlets who denounce female sexualization/objectification while simultaneously praising male sexualization/objectification. Either accept or reject both versions, don't flip-flop based on gender.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The only thing that bothers me about this are the outlets who denounce female sexualization/objectification while simultaneously praising male sexualization/objectification. Either accept or reject both versions, don't flip-flop based on gender.

How many times is this argument going to be brought up before people accept that it's a false equivalence?

depths20XX

This is truly a watershed moment in gaming. The day Ryu said, "I've shown you Evil Ryu, now let me show you Daddy Ryu", hitting the gaming world with an unblockable denjin hadouken of male sex appeal.

do you interact socially with anyone outside of the internet and in those groups are there actual females who trust you even a little bit

Top Bottom