• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ekir

LMAO at the third option, sheer greatness.

Poor zangief has had a beard his entire life but nobody cares.

LMAO at the third option, sheer greatness.

Poor zangief has had a beard his entire life but nobody cares.
Zangief actually does have a lot of fans, but the reason this caught on so much is because Ryu is not being portrayed as an over the top joke/pastiche.

Presentation is a huge factor of this, which is why it's different than numerous other shirtless videogame characters.

Terrell

It's one of the doll-like qualities which are still incredibly pervasive even in games with more realistic styles; with complete absence of body hair being the other major one, as well as the bizarre reluctance to depict men's nipples in Japanese games (which Street Fighter has thankfully abandoned). I can understand not wanting to court censors by giving women visible areolae or cameltoe, but the less controversial details become conspicuous by their absence; whether the developers are trying to play on sex appeal or just create some basic verisimilitude.

Lack of body hair I can almost understand nowadays. In the sprite days, I agree, little excuse, but 3D animators can barely get hair on the head to look right most of the time, never mind the courser and curlier hair that the rest of the body generates. To say nothing of arm and leg hair, which even when it is present seems to be just a texture mapped onto the limb more often than not. Case in point, Zangief's chest hair, even when over the top as it is so that looking natural is an afterthought, looks like a chest-murkin.

Even the beard they gave Ryu doesn't exactly look quite right, even when factoring the art style in.

Sanctuary

The Hot Ryu costume is gonna play a role in the game's story. And since you guys liked Hot Ryu so much, Capcom is planning more bearded alts for the guys.

Considering isn't the same as planning.

Even the beard they gave Ryu doesn't exactly look quite right, even when factoring the art style in.

Probably because it looks like lamb's wool.

edit: LOL. That comment had nothing to do with what is in the background either (which I never actually paid much attention to). The plot thickens!

Golnei

Lack of body hair I can almost understand nowadays. In the sprite days, I agree, little excuse, but 3D animators can barely get hair on the head to look right most of the time, never mind the courser and curlier hair that the rest of the body generates. To say nothing of arm and leg hair, which even when it is present seems to be just a texture mapped onto the limb more often than not. Case in point, Zangief's chest hair, even when over the top as it is so that looking natural is an afterthought, looks like a chest-murkin.

Hair as a flat texture might not be acceptable by current standards; but it didn't look that out of place during the 6th and 7th generations; at least enough to enable their excess of lightly stubbled protagonists. Forgoing even light body hair during that period didn't really seem to be something overwhelmingly derived from technical limitations.

Sblargh

Banned
Hot Ryu victory screen confirmed.

"Your fists may be hot, but not as hot as my beard" - to Ken

...and I'm out. Help me out, GAF!

orioto

Good Art™
If they really want to conquer the gays/women they need a pretty boy. There was never any young, not beefy guy in SF! The kind you see in KOF.

Also be prepared for Bearded Dalshim or Bearded Honda now.

Golnei

If they really want to conquer the gays/women they need a pretty boy. There was never any young, not beefy guy in SF! The kind you see in KOF.

Sean, Kairi, Yun, Yang and even Vega are all on the leaner side in terms of physique once stylisation is taken into account.

Flipyap

Remy. It needs more Remy.
lGZzPjN.gif
DVti73Y.gif

Nice. I agree though, two general rules of thumb: if you want to appeal to more than a certain percentage of women, then don't exaggerate muscles, have a large nose, scars, and no mustaches or beards.
*Some gays and some women. I have no interest in lithe "pretty boys". Bring on the beef.

And SF does have a few twink type guys. (The twins, Remy, older versions of Vega.)

Deft Beck

I have no interest in pretty boys. Muscles and hair are what I want.

Chao

Nice. I agree though, two general rules of thumb: if you want to appeal to more than a certain percentage of women, then don't exaggerate muscles, have a large nose, scars, and no mustaches or beards.
So basically a male FF character that looks like a girl.

DedValve

Banned
*Some gays and some women. I have no interest in lithe "pretty boys". Bring on the beef.

And SF does have a few twink type guys. (The twins, Remy, older versions of Vega.)

SF twinks are like the worst tho. Wheres our male Sakura?

No fair that straight guys can be creeps and us gays get nothing to creep.

Hot Ryu is a start. Ken could have been but that face/hair ship has sailed.

orioto

Good Art™

I get that the beef man community is strong on gaf :p But i'm saying that cause everyone is beefy already in SF. It's true there isn't a "normal" guy cute guy. I'm not saying they should all be like that but one would be a change :p

but i think it's more an art style problem.

I get that the beef man community is strong on gaf :p But i'm saying that cause everyone is beefy already in SF. It's true there isn't a "normal" guy cute guy. I'm not saying they should all be like that but one would be a change :p

but i think it's more an art style problem.
It would of been Vega before he got the Chippendales makeover. (Except for the normal part.)

I think there's room for all sorts of characters. Remy would be the best route IMO because he's a prime example of that trope and we haven't seen him in a while. (Even though I personally don't care for him. He does have his fans though.)

Top Bottom