• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Results are only viewable after voting.

mantidor

Why do you feel he's not being presented in a sexual fashion?

Considering Ryu's personality, I'd say this is totally inline with how to best go about it. He's not the type of guy to bounce his pecs or make suggestive remarks, but the pose and outfit certainly say "look at me, I'm a beefcake!', as evident by the general reaction. If every shirtless fighting game character got this response, then I'd see your point, but this definitely stands out from the norm for a lot of people here.

It's simply viralizing after some gay gamers noticed him (specially since he fits the current trend in gay communities of the masculine bearded men as the most attractive), but it's nothing more than that, don't fool yourself Hours :p

Gbraga

No. Cause I'm not sexually attracted to animated video game characters.

Sounds like a weird fetish.

You don't have to masturbate to videogames, of course, but not even finding anyone attractive just because it's an animated character sounds stranger to me. If you can feel immersed in a game, or relate to video game characters, why can't you find them attractive? It's not like he's a tentacle monster, he's a dude.

That is because you don't know the meaning of weird. If it was as weird as you make it seem to be, art in generally would not invoke EMOTIONS. And yet humanity spends millions going to art museums.

C1fcq.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

It's not a fetish? Visual depictions of attractive people are still attractive. Hell, verbal descriptions of sex are arousing.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
As an artist i understand the difference between aesthetically attractive and sexually attractive. Quit getting all defensive after sexual gifs have already been posted.

That is weird to me. If it is not weird to you, more power to you.

I think the new ryu looks great. Hot? Sure whatever. He looks cold too lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
As an artist i understand the difference between aesthetically attractive and sexually attractive. Quit getting all defensive after sexual gifs have already been posted.

Well as an artiste you should understand better than anyone that visual depictions have the power to instil real emotions.

It's like saying, 'why get sad at a novel, there's no real deaths involved'.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Well as an artiste you should understand better than anyone that visual depictions have the power to instil real emotions.

It's like saying, 'why get sad at a novel, there's no real deaths involved'.
Sure sure. Phone sex,sexting and 50 shades of shit invoke emotions too.

But these are animated characters with people posting spread eagle sexual gifs about them like they would enjoy some type of relation with said character. Thats the part i find weird.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

But these are animated characters with people posting spread eagle sexual gifs about them like they would enjoy some type of relation with said character. Thats the part i find weird.

I don't understand what's weird about this. Do you think it's also weird that people want to have a relationship with Mr Darcy? This is almost the entire point of art.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't understand what's weird about this. Do you think it's also weird that people want to have a relationship with Mr Darcy? This is almost the entire point of art.
I'm not familiar with mr darcy. Is that a character based on a human being? If so, Then no i wouldn't think its weird.

You could tell me ryu is based on a human being. Sure. But hes an animated character based on a human being. Thats the difference. Would that not be similar to hentai? Also something I'm not into.

I'm not talking about the hair flip but the first image of the lady that's at the top of the page. Does he not seem to be arching his back and pushing his chest out in the pic they released?
Not particularly more-so than most male character depictions. It just looks like a martial arts pose/posture with an artstyle with heavy musculature. The pose does not really look like a sexualisation of Ryu, overt or tacit.

I mean, at the very base of this premise of the comparison (and really the thread as a whole), is that [many, most, all] women and gay men are particularly attracted to heavy musculature and a heaving chest. Some may be, I suppose. And that the type of ridiculous sexualised poses that female characters are often depicted in would even appeal to women en masse. It may appeal to some, I suppose. But I don't think the point of Hawkeye-ing female depictions is to say "This is attractive to me. I want objectification of males like this." rather it's to highlight the ridiculousness of the female objectification in media.

I'm not familiar with mr darcy. Is that a character based on a human being? If so, Then no i wouldn't think its weird.

You could tell me ryu is based on a human being. Sure. But hes an animated character based on a human being. Thats the difference. Would that not be similar to hentai? Also something I'm not into.

What the heck are you trying to say?

Being stimulated/attracted to/moved by "characters based on human beings" is either WEIRD or NOT WEIRD.

You can't cherry pick examples you personally like as NOT WEIRD and examples you don't personally like as WEIRD.

Fake people are fake people.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
What the heck are you trying to say?

Being stimulated/attracted to/moved by "characters based on human beings" is either WEIRD or NOT WEIRD.

You can't cherry pick examples you personally like as NOT WEIRD and examples you don't personally like as WEIRD.

Fake people are fake people.
Why so angry. Theres no picking and choosing.

A character based on a real human being, well... looks human to me using the minds imagination of a real person. Ryu, does not look human to me. He just has features a human but he does not look like a real life human being. Hes hand drawn and animated.

Maybe im the weird one. And I'm okay with that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

How can you not know who Mr Darcy is? SMDH

IvorB

Lighten up, dude.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Why so angry. Theres no picking and choosing.

A character based on a real human being, well... looks human to me using the minds imagination of a real person. Ryu, does not look human to me. He just has features a human but he does not look like a real life human being. Hes hand drawn and animated.

Maybe im the weird one. And I'm okay with that.

if MBMBAM has taught me anything, it's that we're all "weird" in our own ways and if we are to expect tolerance for ourselves then we must extend it to others.

some ppl like white girls with big butts, some like dressing up as sonic the hedgehog and finger blasting each other. we gotta be OK with it all.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
How can you not know who Mr Darcy is? SMDH
Um sorry i guess?

Lighten up, dude.
I'm pretty light bro lol. No hard feelings toward anybody coming from this direction.

if MBMBAM has taught me anything, it's that we're all "weird" in our own ways and if we are to expect tolerance for ourselves then we must extend it to others.

some ppl like white girls with big butts, some like dressing up as sonic the hedgehog and finger blasting each other. we gotta be OK with it all.
Theres a big difference between those two but i get your point.

It doesnt bug me, if thats what you want to do like i said more power to you. I just find it weird.

I'm gonna go back to that part of gaf where the mounting of a nikki minaj wax figure is accepted as weird too.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Is it your claim that an abstract portrayal (i.e., not photorealistic) of a sexually appealing person is not sexually arousing to the average person? Pinup illustrations aren't sexy because they are drawings?

You are absolutely in the minority here and no amount of "i don't jack off to anime because I'm not a loser" will win you this fight.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Is it your claim that an abstract portrayal (i.e., not photorealistic) of a sexually appealing person is not sexually arousing to the average person? Pinup illustrations aren't sexy because they are drawings?

You are absolutely in the minority here and no amount of "i don't jack off to anime because I'm not a loser" will win you this fight.
Who said anything about losers? I was talking about what i find to be strange behavior. I never name called anyone or degraded anyone in that manner. Some of you guys are pretty defensive though.

I'm out.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Who said anything about losers? I was talking about what i find to be strange behavior. I never name called anyone or degraded anyone in that manner. Some of you guys are pretty defensive though.

I'm out.

I'm not defensive. I don't want to have a relationship with Hot Ryu. I'm not writing Hot Ryu poems. I just think it's weird that you can understand how people can have emotional reactions to representations in general but you think it's weird that people have emotional reactions to just this kind of representation.

How many times is this argument going to be brought up before people accept that it's a false equivalence?

It's not so much an argument for anything, it's just personally disappointing to see it happening.

do you interact socially with anyone outside of the internet and in those groups are there actual females who trust you even a little bit

I happen to enjoy a social circle containing people from a large variety of ethnic, sexual and social backgrounds, thanks for asking.

kirblar

Has there really not been a hot guy in a video game before?

I could've sworn I saw a better piece of sweet man-flesh in some other game. I feel like there are at least 2 Bioware games with characters expressly designed to appeal to those who like man-bodies.
Chris Redfield's pretty explicitly designed as eye candy nowadays.

The only thing that bothers me about this are the outlets who denounce female sexualization/objectification while simultaneously praising male sexualization/objectification. Either accept or reject both versions, don't flip-flop based on gender.

There is a big difference. Hypothetically if we were talking about real people, in some contexts (dependant on the individual) it can feel good to be objectified. But then you look at the position of women in this question, and misogyny and/or entitlement can make objectification a lot more complicated, pernicious, and socially destructive. There isn't necessarily anything intrinsically wrong with objectification, we'd probably just like the ability to consent to it, and how it is drawn down gendered lines does emphasize some of the circumstantial problems with it and they aren't equal across the sexes.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Sounds like you have a parent fetish based on the screen name you chose for yourself.
What does that even mean? My handle could mean a numerous amount of things but you want to take a jab because we have different personal opinions.

I've already clarified that if you're into the topic at hand it doesnt bug me. Only that im not into it.

But i guess im not allowed to have an opinion.

Chill out guys.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If I did then it wasn't intentional, and I'll apologise for missing the intended context.

It's not an intended context. The point is that nobody is calling for puritanism in their games. Nobody wants games to have zero sex appeal whatsoever. The issue is that at the moment sex is used in games where it really has no right to, and it's used with complete abandon. What people want is an end to 'here's some character in a game and if you do this and that you can see up her skirt', or the high prevalence of female characters who only exist for titillation.

It's not an intended context. The point is that nobody is calling for puritanism in their games. Nobody wants games to have zero sex appeal whatsoever. The issue is that at the moment sex is used in games where it really has no right to, and it's used with complete abandon. What people want is an end to 'here's some character in a game and if you do this and that you can see up her skirt', or the high prevalence of female characters who only exist for titillation.

Basically for me, tone down the wonton female titilation in games a good deal, and maybe dial up the male titilation in games a half turn to I have a little something to ogle now and then.

DR2K

Banned
What does that even mean? My handle could mean a numerous amount of things but you want to take a jab because we have different personal opinions.

I've already clarified that if you're into the topic at hand it doesnt bug me. Only that im not into it.

But i guess im not allowed to have an opinion.

Chill out guys.

No need to get defensive. Nothing wrong with having a fetish.

orioto

Good Art™
Did this really turn into a debate about how people can feel aroused by an artificial representation of real life ? Cause it's pretty logical you know.. If something turns you on in real life, a representation of it, in drawing, videogame or whatever, will work to. There is really nothing weird about it.

Staf

Did this really turn into a debate about how people can feel aroused by an artificial representation of real life ? Cause it's pretty logical you know.. If something turns you on in real life, a representation of it, in drawing, videogame or whatever, will work to. There is really nothing weird about it.

So that's why i feel all funny inside when i see stick-figures? Awesome!

Top Bottom