• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's amazing how much a beard can make or break a look.

In Ryu's case, a beard makes all the difference; he went from some shoto nerd to a hot daddy type.

Make it available ASAP, Capcom, ffs. You were so close to doing something amazing.

Gbraga

It's cool, but that title is a bit much. Capcom has pandered to gay guys before after all. I'm happy to see it expand to other series of theirs though.

Maaan, can you imagine how Dante and Chris will look in the next DMC and RE?
6k3FUV6.png

It's amazing how much a beard can make or break a look.

In Ryu's case, a beard makes all the difference; he went from some shoto nerd to a hot daddy type.

They also changed his hair. The difference is subtle, but definitely intentional. Hot Ryu was the goal, and they nailed it.

Monocle

Is this supposed to be inclusive to a female audience... or a gay male audience? If the latter, then it's still just pandering to the male audience. In fact, it would give more excuses to these developers that have big boob jiggle physics all over the place because of male bulge/butt jiggle physics. Anyway, I'd love to hear what Anita would say.
Anita's been getting it wrong since Bayonetta 2, at the latest. I like what she represents but I wish she'd bring a little more discernment to bear when analyzing games that are ostensibly against women. Female superhero who stands equal to or (almost always) well above male characters and consistently subverts sexist tropes is still sexist because she's wanton for her own gratification? Um?

Anyway, this isn't the thread for this.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is this supposed to be inclusive to a female audience... or a gay male audience? If the latter, then it's still just pandering to the male audience. In fact, it would give more excuses to these developers that have big boob jiggle physics all over the place because of male bulge/butt jiggle physics. Anyway, I'd love to hear what Anita would say.

I think Anita would recognise this for what it is--a big step towards diversity and inclusiveness in videogames. Maybe you could unlock it by putting in the secret code, 8==D~.

Kinyou

Of course. But the global waves that Daddy Ryu has generated clearly shows that there is a tipping point of hirstuteness that pushes him from one to the other in the minds of many people.

Ah, I didn't realise it blew up this much

Power fantasy =/= sex fantasy
I don't think it always has to be one or the other. Bayonetta seems to combine both.

JediLink

People who are confused about this, attractiveness if often a case where the whole is worth more than any individual parts. It's not as simple as "he has a beard now, therefore he's attractive". Hot Ryu as a whole is attractive, where SF4 Ryu as a whole wasn't so much.

Dunkley

Not really, but this is straight up the most attractive video game character I have seen since Bigby from The Wolf Among Us.

I wish this had been just his default redesign, and too I wonder if we get something similiar with Ken to have get that true definite daddy experience since Ken has a kid.

Reading this post this makes me look like a huge daddy fetishist. Ah well, let's post it anyway.

Draft

SFV characters are drawn with what appears to be 4-5% body fat and I think it looks terrific. Really makes the musculature pop.

IvorB

You can still buy it, it's just a bonus if you get it from the specific retailer.

Nah, I don't pre-order games and definitely won't be bribed into it by some DLC. Not even Hot Ryu can change that.

I like your boycott idea. You're smart. Lets rally on this, everyone!

Not really calling for boycott but this costume was actually swaying me on the game (yes, I'm that shallow) but it's not available :-(. Though if you think a boycott would work then sure why not?

BPoole

Can someone explain to me why this is seen as perfectly fine to have a sexualized Ryu and every praises Capcom but last week when R. Mika was revealed and her outfit is sexualized everyone was shaking their heads and saying shame on Capcom and that it's just fan service to horny teenage boys?

Either both are fine, or neither are fine.

Yes DADDY. It's truly amazing what a beard could do for him. I hope we see more daring dlc costumes.

Truly a watershed moment.

Team Ninja: ball's in your court for bearded hobo Rig.

544902D93A70810004
I already like him the way he is but I would love to see that just to see how it looks.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can someone explain to me why this is seen as perfectly fine to have a sexualized Ryu and every praises Capcom but last week when R. Mika was revealed and her outfit is sexualized everyone was shaking their heads and saying shame on Capcom and that it's just fan service to horny teenage boys?

It's context. Hot Ryu is a first, a groundbreaking move. R Mika is just more of the same. Not to mention, one of them is a DLC costume and the other is the default.

It's a move towards equality and diversity whereas R Mika is just perpetuating staid, tired tropes. It would have been more noteworthy if R Mika was wearing sweatpants and a hoodie in her default costume.

PillarEN

It's a bit of a numbers game. This is seen much less. I don't have a problem with either but watch yourself and don't get too emotionally invested in this kind of thing. These type of threads usually lead to bans as they continue.

Kinsei

Banned

One is Capcom throwing a bone to an audience that doesn't get much targeted towards them in games. The other is yet another overly sexualized girl in a game where all three girls they've revealed are overly sexualized.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Capcom have dabbled with this kind of thing before (mostly Chris in RE) but never this forwardly

Excuse me?

resident-evil-revelations-chris-sailor.jpg
tumblr_m6bb18Arx51rtbywoo1_500.jpg
chris___green_samurai_render_by_rpgxplay-d6mpqxm.png
shirtless_wesker_screenshot_by_dragonrosekohaku.jpg

And ignoring the different type of appeal for things like Leon's hair, focus on male butts and biceps in some cutscenes, and the like.

Capcom is one of the more forward companies in this, and Resident Evil has gotten more fan servicey in recent years, but at least they're better at equal-representation than most companies with it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Excuse me?

resident-evil-revelations-chris-sailor.jpg
tumblr_m6bb18Arx51rtbywoo1_500.jpg
chris___green_samurai_render_by_rpgxplay-d6mpqxm.png
shirtless_wesker_screenshot_by_dragonrosekohaku.jpg

And ignoring the different type of appeal for things like Leon's hair, focus on male butts and biceps in some cutscenes, and the like.

Capcom is one of the more forward companies in this, and Resident Evil has gotten more fan servicey in recent years, but at least they're better at equal-representation than most companies with it.

Chris I agree with, in fact I actually mentioned him in the quote... Wesker not so much. But yes, Capcom in general has been pretty good and forward thinking with these in recent years.

Gbraga

Nah, I don't pre-order games and definitely won't be bribed into it by some DLC. Not even Hot Ryu can change that.

Not really calling for boycott but this costume was actually swaying me on the game (yes, I'm that shallow) but it's not available :-(. Though if you think a boycott would work then sure why not?

I'll definitely be available to purchase later. Perhaps even with in-game money (unlikely)

I think Mika not being very popular helped with that, way too many people thinking she was a brand new character instead of a returning one. I think her costume design is shit, but you can't really expect Capcom to redesign every character as they did with Ken. Mika will look like Mika, I guess. If you dislike her costume, better hope for a better alt, instead of making it sound like it was Capcom's obligation to change her.

Hot Ryu.

The most significant event in videogame history.

Is this really what we've come to.

It's almost sad honestly. Really weird.
I mean I can see this being discussed in the other threads, but the most important event in video game history? Possibly the most over exaggerated title I've seen here.

Hypron

While I don't really feel strongly about R.Mika, there are two main reasons for that: first of all, the issue with (hyper-)sexualised female characters is not that they exist, it's that they are so prevalent in videogames - they are literally everywhere. Whereas this isn't the case for male characters. Ryu is an exception rather than the rule.

Secondly, there's a difference in how the characters are sexualised. This skin for Ryu was certainly designed to be attractive, but the way they did it was fairly subtle — all things considered the design is not that different from that SFIV design and no-one would call that other one "sexualised" (you can see many examples of people saying "but it's the same with a beard" in this thread). This isn't the male equivalent of huge bouncy boobs/ass. That extends to the character's demeanour too. Ryu is still Ryu, he won't start smacking his ass and thrusting his hips during his special moves.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the the most important thing garnered from the latest builds & pre order alternate costumes is that the SF V art direction looks fantastic in-engine.

SFIV was a great game, but it didn't hold a candle to how good 3S looked. it looks like we'll finally get really great looking 3D models of SF characters.

Gbraga

While I don't really feel strongly about R.Mika, there are two main reasons for that: first of all, the issue with (hyper-)sexualised female characters is not that they exist, it's that they are so prevalent in videogames - they are literally everywhere. Whereas this isn't the case for male characters. Ryu is an exception rather than the rule.

Secondly, there's a difference in how the characters are sexualised. This skin for Ryu was certainly designed to be attractive, but the way they did it was fairly subtle — all things considered the design is not that different from that SFIV design and no-one would call that other one "sexualised" (you can see many examples of people saying "but it's the same with a beard" in this thread). This isn't the male equivalent of huge bouncy boobs/ass. That extends to the character's demeanour too. Ryu is still Ryu, he won't start smacking his ass and thrusting his hips during his special moves.

But that is Mika. Ryu is still Ryu and Mika is still Mika. I don't get that part of your post. Mika isn't usually Ryu until Capcom decided to give her a costume that showed her "assets". She always dressed in such a way, she always attack with her ass and that kind of stuff.

EDIT: Not that it makes her immune to criticism, that's not the point I'm making.

naaah, this does nothing for me, Ryu is just hot.

Monocle

Top Bottom