• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Results are only viewable after voting.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Same with the r.Mika thread, I honestly have no idea what's being discussed here.

This is more significant than the R. Mika thread. That's just more male titillation. This is different and noteworthy. A brave new world for videogames.

Hypron

Same with the r.Mika thread, I honestly have no idea what's being discussed here.

This thread is about bearded Ryu being hot, which he totally is.

This is more significant than the R. Mika thread. That's just more male titillation. This is different and noteworthy. A brave new world for videogames.

Yeah, sexualised females in major franchises are a dime a dozen, this is different.

TheOGB

Banned
What we're experiencing is not actually thirst; Capcom has actually released a new strain of the T-virus. With the activators R. Mika and Hot Ryu now in the wild, we're beginning to reach complete global saturation.

Dremark

Banned
Such a double standard. I bet if Capcom had made a topless beard skin for one of the female characters everyone would be complaining.

Renekton

I found Hot Ryu

street-fighter-fire.jpg
That's E-Honda, geez can't you tell??

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I love that they've made Ryu look even hotter at the same time that flop Ken got beat with the ugly stick for SFV.

Although Chris Redfield >>> Ryu though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So what. That doesn't make it a meaningful "event in videogame history". It's not even the first (or best) case of male sexualization (if you really think it is that, which I don't think it is) in videogames. They've done it plenty of times before, and more obvious.
I agree! The thread title is hyperbole and I'm not sure this even warrants a thread. I'm just responding to the people that can't see the difference between why someone would find this alt more alluring than the one in SFIV.

Besides the awful artstyle, I mean.

Whatever gives new and novel excuses to shame Kotaku for such hilariously shallow sanctimonious double standards in the less than a week since R. Mila was unveiled.

Killzig

So Hot Ryu is a thing now. Daddy has taken the world by storm.

Does anyone else think that this could be a watershed moment for equal inclusion of eye candy? Capcom have dabbled with this kind of thing before (mostly Chris in RE) but never this forwardly and with their most significant character.
Street-Fighter-5-Battle-Costume-Ryu.jpg

Maybe now the floodgates have opened we are entering a brave new world of videogame fanservice? Discuss.
Why do most game beards make it look like the characters have shit caked on their faces?

They're catering to the yaoi/bara crowd with manly Ryu and pretty boi Ken in SFV ;)

But seriously, it's a good look for him. Does this game take place chronologically later in the story? Is he supposed to be older?

botty

Banned
Is this supposed to be inclusive to a female audience... or a gay male audience? If the latter, then it's still just pandering to the male audience. In fact, it would give more excuses to these developers that have big boob jiggle physics all over the place because of male bulge/butt jiggle physics. Anyway, I'd love to hear what Anita would say.

Crayon

Is this supposed to be inclusive to a female audience... or a gay male audience? If the latter, then it's still just pandering to the male audience. In fact, it would give more excuses to these developers that have big boob jiggle physics all over the place because of male bulge/butt jiggle physics. Anyway, I'd love to hear what Anita would say.

That's pandering to a male audience that is distinct from THE male audience.

T.O.P

Banned

Bulge physics

mmmh

Mihos

Gold Member

Just because you find a model attractive doesn't make it noteworthy.... unless this is a first crush kind of thing. You never forget the first crush. To me he just looks like a dude who let himself go. If you touch him, he looks like he would be sticky and smell like onions.

Gbraga

Could be both, in a way. If you try to pander to male gays, you'll inevitably get the attention of the fujoshi part of the female audience.

Monocle

Isn't this more male titillation? How many posters in this thread are female?
In this post straight men = gay men.

Gay men being catered to in a mainstream franchise just a little is part of the problem of women being exploited in games for straight men's entertainment? Or something?

Gbraga

In this post straight men = gay men.

Gay men being catered to in a mainstream franchise just a little is part of the problem of women being exploited in games for straight men's entertainment? Or something?

I guess this will be the to-go argument when "it's just a power fantasy" can't really be said with a straight face. Devs just can't win.

tbd

Why does Ryu have a beard?

Alternative. Why does Hugh Jackman wear Ryu's clothes?

What did I miss?

Kater

Banned
HBcDRky.jpg

Kinsei

Banned
It's cool, but that title is a bit much. Capcom has pandered to gay guys before after all. I'm happy to see it expand to other series of theirs though.

Top Bottom