• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Caronte

But that is Mika. Ryu is still Ryu and Mika is still Mika. I don't get that part of your post. Mika isn't usually Ryu until Capcom decided to give her a costume that showed her "assets". She always dressed in such a way, she always attack with her ass and that kind of stuff.

naaah, this does nothing for me, Ryu is just hot.

He means Ryu's personality is not designed around the sexualization.

cakely

HjnUS5A.jpg

Tik-Tok posted a pic of Ken's beard too.

I love this thread but it's WAY too early to be laughing this hard.

Hypron

But that is Mika. Ryu is still Ryu and Mika is still Mika. I don't get that part of your post. Mika isn't usually Ryu until Capcom decided to give her a costume that showed her "assets". She always dressed in such a way, she always attack with her ass and that kind of stuff.

I was just trying to highlight the differences in terms of sexualisation between Mika and Ryu, since that other poster seemed to believe they were equivalent. This alternate skin of Ryu is only sexualised in appearance, whereas Mika is sexualised in all aspects of her character.

Gbraga

He means Ryu's personality is not designed around the sexualization.

I was just trying to highlight the differences in terms of sexualisation between Mika and Ryu, since that other poster seemed to believe they were equivalent. This alternate skin of Ryu is only sexualised in appearance, whereas Mika is sexualised in all aspects of her character.

Oh, I see. But still, that's just because the sexualization came after, Mika won't stop slapping her butt if she has an alt that covers her up. Ryu will always be Ryu and Mika will always be Mika, no matter how they look.

You can't treat any of them as if they're brand new characters, they're not.

BPoole

It's a bit of a numbers game. This is seen much less. I don't have a problem with either but watch yourself and don't get too emotionally invested in this kind of thing. These type of threads usually lead to bans as they continue.
It is less common, but most video game protagonists are good looking guys, such as Nathan Drake, Dante, Chris Redfield, and Commander Shepard. Others are more of super masculine grizzly types such as Marcus Fenix, Kratos, and Max Payne.

I personally do not have a problem with either character design. It's just confusing how one is considered a great achievement in gaming and the other is considered cringeworthy.

While I don't really feel strongly about R.Mika, there are two main reasons for that: first of all, the issue with (hyper-)sexualised female characters is not that they exist, it's that they are so prevalent in videogames - they are literally everywhere. Whereas this isn't the case for male characters. Ryu is an exception rather than the rule.

Secondly, there's a difference in how the characters are sexualised. This skin for Ryu was certainly designed to be attractive, but the way they did it was fairly subtle — all things considered the design is not that different from that SFIV design and no-one would call that other one "sexualised" (you can see many examples of people saying "but it's the same with a beard" in this thread). This isn't the male equivalent of huge bouncy boobs/ass. That extends to the character's demeanour too. Ryu is still Ryu, he won't start smacking his ass and thrusting his hips during his special moves.
This was a good explanation. Didn't consider that angle. I forgot R Mika literally has moves using her ass to sandwich opponent's faces, whereas Ryu is just same old Ryu in a different skin.

EDIT: Not that it makes her immune to criticism, that's not the point I'm making.

naaah, this does nothing for me, Ryu is just hot.
False equivalence. Mika moves contains all the attributes used to sexualize women. Ryu does not.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It does beg the question, is Ryu canonically gay now? Has he ever had a girlfriend in the lore? He certainly looks ready to take on Folsom.

It is less common, but most video game protagonists are good looking guys, such as Nathan Drake, Dante, Chris Redfield, and Commander Shepard. Others are more of super masculine grizzly types such as Marcus Fenix, Kratos, and Max Payne.

I personally do not have a problem with either character design. It's just confusing how one is considered a great achievement in gaming and the other is considered cringeworthy.

It's a bit like saying, 'why does everyone paint the fact that so many presidential nominees are white as a bad thing, but the fact that Obama is black as a good thing?'.

Only, more significant obviously.

Golnei

He could use a bit more of something down there.
Spend a couple of polygons to give him a bulge, Tecmo.

Developers' refusal to make the crotches of even sexualised male characters anything other than completely flat is the biggest obstacle to games being accepted as art.

Can someone explain to me why this is seen as perfectly fine to have a sexualized Ryu and every praises Capcom but last week when R. Mika was revealed and her outfit is sexualized everyone was shaking their heads and saying shame on Capcom and that it's just fan service to horny teenage boys?

Either both are fine, or neither are fine.

Are you really that thick skulled? You must be trolling. You can't actually be this ignorant, can you?

botty

Banned
It does beg the question, is Ryu canonically gay now? Has he ever had a girlfriend in the lore? He certainly looks ready to take on Folsom.

And he always avoids Sakura, who panders to the bizarre male school girl fantasy. Ryu being gay would also explain his obsession with fitness.
BKVhMbw.gif

And he always avoids Sakura, who panders to the bizarre male school girl fantasy. Ryu being gay would also explain his obsession with fitness.
BKVhMbw.gif

Ryu has always been gay in my head cannon. The hints have always been there. The way he's avoided Sakura, his platonic relationship with Chun Li, his very hands-on friendship with Ken.

Ryu and I matched on Tinder once tbh.

Trojan

Why not? I'm not a huge supporter of blatant fan service on either side, but if you're going to do it on the male side, you might as well balance it out on the female side.

Still waiting for Hipster Vega costume. Slap some skinny jeans, a fu man chu, and a cabbie hat on that dude.

Jeremy

I need an industrial fan to cool me down...

Really though I can't remember a time when I've thought a male video game character was just outright beautiful.

Golnei

One place Capcom got TN beat is dick jiggle

latest

A pity it didn't survive the transition to 3D. The level of loving care and attention given to the animation of Urien's assets in SFV will truly determine whether Capcom deserves to reclaim that throne.

Hyun Sai

Developers' refusal to make the crotches of even sexualised male characters anything other than completely flat is the biggest obstacle to games being accepted as art.

I don't follow. Many other medias don't show crotches on their tights clothed male characters, what this got to do with "art" ?

Gbraga

I don't follow. Many other medias don't show crotches on their tights clothed male characters, what this got to do with "art" ?

I can't believe you took that post seriously.

After people got so serious about the thread title, though, I suppose I should expect that.

Trigger

A pity it didn't survive the transition to 3D. The level of loving care and attention given to the animation of Urien's assets in SFV will truly determine whether Capcom deserves to reclaim that throne.

My god. Urien with proper jiggle physics....

jetsetrez

It's context. Hot Ryu is a first, a groundbreaking move. R Mika is just more of the same. Not to mention, one of them is a DLC costume and the other is the default.

It's a move towards equality and diversity whereas R Mika is just perpetuating staid, tired tropes. It would have been more noteworthy if R Mika was wearing sweatpants and a hoodie in her default costume.
This is so hypocritical. The guy you're responding to is right; either it's ok for both or it's shameful for both. That is equality. While we're at it, where are the think pieces decrying the shallow sexualization of "hot Ryu?" Or is there no equality in navel gazing?

Personally, I think he looks badass, but I'm perfectly fine with characters in fiction being sexualized for whatever the creator/audience wants, and if gay guys and women find him sexy or hot, awesome for them. But this is nowhere near the first of this happening, you're just trying to make it a big deal and revisionist history out so many other examples.

BPoole

Are you really that thick skulled? You must be trolling. You can't actually be this ignorant, can you?
You could have tried explaining, as several others did, instead of immediately going for personal attacks.

But yeah, people that responded to me already clarified why they're different. Calm down

orioto

Good Art™
Wasn't Ryu always very muscular? I'm not sure I understand how he was "ugly" before and now he's hot.

In SFIV he had a supe weird anatomy. That didn't look like a man chest at all.

That said he's not sexy to me cause way too fit, it's scary. I want to feed him cheeseburgers. But it's indeed the first time Ryu is presented with a legit male body.

Golnei

It can't be art unless there's dicks in it, I thought that was well-established by now. Even if you ignore the long and storied history of the male form in classical art, in games alone the heft and contour of Raiden's bulge in MGS2 was what enabled its subversive critique of the medium, and MGS4 only featuring a single stone cock held it back from becoming a satisfying conclusion to the series.

I see your hot Ryu and raise you one hot Mario:

best Nintendo commercial

Wrong hot Mario.

Kinyou

Secondly, there's a difference in how the characters are sexualised. This skin for Ryu was certainly designed to be attractive, but the way they did it was fairly subtle — all things considered the design is not that different from that SFIV design and no-one would call that other one "sexualised" (you can see many examples of people saying "but it's the same with a beard" in this thread). This isn't the male equivalent of huge bouncy boobs/ass. That extends to the character's demeanour too. Ryu is still Ryu, he won't start smacking his ass and thrusting his hips during his special moves.
Though I wonder if people would be even into that. Like, imagine this Ryu with the move set from Soul Calibur's Voldo.

Top Bottom