• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

PixelatedBookake

c09bb7628163271237fd9fe8d5dc7dac.jpg

I should watch this lmaoooooooo

CazTGG

Kunckles the Reactionary.

Spoiler: Acknowledging current inequalities in a patriarchal society doesn't undermine feminism or progress, neo-reactionaries trying to "Well Actual, Lee..." women when discussing various gender-based issues does. If Knuckles were a true feminist, he'd be aware of current societal bias surrounding female athletes.

You worked with Robotnick once, Knuckles. I thought you'd learned something from him.

Ivan 3414

For all the talk about how important it is to introduce children to the concept of feminism, in all likelihood the entire scene is going to go over many, many heads.

So are the characters still the same age as their original versions? Cause Tails and Amy don't look like they're 8 and 12 respectively.

Kunckles the Reactionary.

Spoiler: Acknowledging current inequalities in a patriarchal society doesn't undermine feminism or progress, neo-reactionaries trying to "Well Actual, Lee..." women when discussing various gender-based issues does. If Knuckles were a true feminist, he'd be aware of current societal bias surrounding female athletes.

You worked with Robotnick once, Knuckles. I thought you'd learned something from him.
Once, two decades ago.

akira28

Knuckles, what the fuck?

I know Knuck is going for the rafters with his argument but it is high level feminism. Unfortunately it remains in the level of social theory instead of actual feminist practice where calling attention to the alteration of "assumed" gender roles in the positive helps to win the actual battle.

One day, calling it out will be passe, but we are not nearly there yet Knuckles, darling.

I think audience matters. Neckbeard Sonic fans aside, the show is aimed primarily at kids. Kids should be shown a world that treats both girls and boys as equals. Of course that isn't how it is, but gives children an ideal to look up to and internalize. By speaking about it, Amy directly shatters that illusion, so the show writers do what they themselves say shouldn't be done. Wait, what?

Most Sonic fans, at least the ones in the popular Sonic message boards that are moderated, are very accepting and progressive.

I know Knuck is going for the rafters with his argument but it is high level feminism. Unfortunately it remains in the level of social theory instead of actual feminist practice where calling attention to the alteration of "assumed" gender roles in the positive helps to win the actual battle.

One day, calling it out will be passe, but we are not nearly there yet Knuckles, darling.

He's truly ahead of his time. Already a 4th wave feminist.

chadtwo

Not really asking to get into a big thing about it...

But I've never really understood the concept of mansplaining. Like, does the man have to be wrong? Does he have to be condescending about it? Is it literally any time a man explains something to a woman?

As best I can tell, if either or both of the first two conditions apply it's considered "mansplaining." I wouldn't consider this a case of mansplaining, since he's not condescending or patronizing about it in a way that suggests female inferiority, and it's also not necessarily the case that Knuckles knows less about Amy than about feminism just because he's a man -- there are plenty of male feminist philosophers who are justified in explaining feminist theory to someone of either gender, for example.

Didn't Sonic have a future universe? Maybe Knuckles is speaking from that timeline perspective where gender equality is the norm XD

TissueBox

Imo no, doesn't really make sense as that implication underscores things that individuals can control, whereas equality comprises individuals, institutions, and cultures beyond a single person's capacity. Hence the fight for equaity; it's not one with the concept itself, but with the oppressor in a given era, locale.

Having read the thread - I have one request to ask of the universe:

Chances are the new Megaman cartoon is gonna be awful, but if it is, can it be like this, where it's so bad, it's good?

no he's probably wave 6 or maybe even 7 like how feminism will be in 2150. Where saying something like "lady racecar driver" will make completely zero sense.

True. The word "Gender" will be removed from Websters dictionary by then. It will only be referred to in history books

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But it is the exception and not the status quo. Before reaching normalization, awareness needs to happen, and the best way to do that is speaking up. Society as a whole needs to see that gender roles can and should be broken, and silence won't accomplish that. We need more people like Amy who aren't afraid of challenging the status quo and proudly stating so.

I don't even agree with what he's saying. I wish it were the status quo, but it's not at all. It's like declaring "racism is over". No, it's not, and as such we need to continue putting effort into resolving the issues and acknowledging victories along the way.

Not only do I dislike Children's shows attempting to indoctrinate my children, if they're going to try and pull this SJW stuff, they can at least come correct.

In this scene, Amy Rose is not applying for a job. She's playing a sport. With rare exceptions like mixed doubles in tennis ( notwithstanding the debate as to whether or not racing and equestrian are sports), we know that sports are segregated.

We are just two Olympics removed from when the ioc performed the gender test on a woman because she didn't pass the eyeball test with secondary sex characteristics....

We are weeks removed in that very same tennis world where one of the Mcenroe Brothers made a comment about Serena not being better than the men, to downplay her accomplishments. Andy Murray continues to Garner my respect for knocking that trash down. ( and I can't wait for Serena to come back and win a major after having a baby like Kim clysters did to tie Margaret Court... not that she has to but she will)

So no, gender equality is not being undermined when one celebrates a woman's accomplishment in sports over a man's. That would indeed be the exception.

Alternate version of this post: insert joke about WNBA.

Ash735

I can't believe grown ass people on NeoGAF are missing the intention of a characters joke on a show aimed at kids, ...just how, this is hilarious at this point how some are kicking up a massive fuss at something that's not doing what they assume it is.

CazTGG

I can't believe grown ass people on NeoGAF are missing the intention of a characters joke on a show aimed at kids, ...just how, this is hilarious at this point how some are kicking up a massive fuss at something that's not doing what they assume it is.

I knew someone would post this piss-poor defense eventually.

BosSin

In an ideal world knuckles is right. We should be at the point where gender equality doesn't need pointing out, unfortunately this isn't the case.

LotusHD

Banned

What's the "massive fuss" here

G.O.O.

Dunno, I think he's kinda right ?

Amy is basically self-depreciating by asking whether or not a woman can be as good as a man, he's saying that the question implies that women are inherently worse than men at sports and that she's setting herself as an exception should she succeed

So is it mansplaining if he's basically telling her she shouldn't feel held back by her gender ?

Ogodei

Was knuckles always supposed to be dumb AF? Or is it just Sonic Boom.

Sonic Boom has different characterizations than the mainline Sonic universe. Some better, some worse, all kind of different. Amy becomes a more assertive go-getter type (as seen in the clip discussed here), Knuckles was made into pure dumb muscle. Sonic's more inconsiderate than in canon (hearkening back to his old, old cartoon portrayal of being more of a trickster archetype than a hero archetype). Haven't seen enough to recall how Tails is different.

You could argue it's the writers of Sonic Boom (the game and the show) failing to understand how Sonic Team's portrayed Knuckles in the past (he was never stupid, just gullible and sometimes stubborn), but given the other changes, i think it's deliberate.

1upsuper

Not really asking to get into a big thing about it...

But I've never really understood the concept of mansplaining. Like, does the man have to be wrong? Does he have to be condescending about it? Is it literally any time a man explains something to a woman?

Imagine someone who has no idea what it's like to live your reality. Now imagine that person telling you how to deal with the problems you face. Mansplaining may be well-intentioned at times, but it's fundamentally ignorant and frequently condescending, from my understanding.
Did I just mansplain?

Order

There's always one

I think the writer's intention was good but fumbled the execution. For one they didn't think about it coming across as mansplaining.

Top Bottom