• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Admits Birth Control Program for Ethiopians (2010, new info 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qazaq

Banned
there is a titanic difference between anti-Semitic", or "anti government". Do you not understand that. This type of anti goverment agencies attacks are not just isolated to Israeli goverment .

this is here in United States ..

http://www.civilrights.org/archives/2010/10/1087-ny-racial-profiling.html

Study Shows Extensive Racial Profiling by New York City Police

does that mean this study (right or wrong) was trying to prove that ALL of Americans are prejudice people againt minorities ? Because the NY police department is racially profiling people?

Again, stop playing a victim. YOu are not a victim here, Jewish people are NOT victim here.

Look, you need to very carefully understand what I'm saying:

- I'm not saying people can't criticize the Israeli government.
- I'm not saying criticism of the Israel government equates to criticism of Jewish people.

But you're ignoring that, when it comes to Israel, there is a unique thing that happens where criticism of the Jewish state gets lopped in with genuine anti-Semitism, because people with an agenda do not disguise themselves as obviously as a deer in the middle of a road.

It does little things like this. Paints a picture, distorts what's really going on, presents only the absolute worst conclusions, and counts on people not questioning what they're reading.

This happens all the time.

People with genuine anti-Semitic feelings direct all their outrage towards Israel. What are they otherwise going to do, if they're in the Middle East? Go around and call all those New York Jews ugly names?

The Israeli government, unfortunately, helps themselves so little.

But instead of screaming for umpteenth time about how criticism against Israel does not equate to anti-Semitism... do you ever wonder why Jewish people ever feel this way? You don't think Jewish people can make the distinction? The fact is, many actual anti Semities, or even if they aren't that label, people with prejudice, preys upon people who AREN'T anti Semitic but know what buttons to push in order to make the world hate Israel.

Again, we have people here willing to believe at the blink of an eye that Israel has a eugenics program. That's absolutely nuts. Or is it more nuts that no one's willing to acknowledge how nuts that is, and on just how little evidence it's given?

Qazaq

Banned
So you're going on record, right here on the Internet, and claiming that Haaretz is an anti-Israeli/anti-semitic propaganda rag? Just so we're clear.

I have no idea what it is. I don't know what Haaretz is. I don't make any claims towards what Haaretz is. All I'm attempting to do is look at the article, what it's saying, what it's not saying, and look at the reactions to it.

It's not "alternate theory" -- it's basic questioning. Wanting basic facts. The fact is, any NUMBER of scenarios are possible -- because we don't have numbers.

We don't know.

Again, inflammatory, ignoring what might actually be really going on, and how there's a lot of grey and other factors at work here.

But we don't know what the other factors are, because we're given such scant evidence.

You are Glenn Beck at his chalkboard.

It is natural to question reporting, even wise. But you are not doing this. You are placing your any number of alternate scenarios on equal footing with the information that comes as a result of the reporting of Haaretz, directives from Israel's Health Minister director general, and the interviews of Gal Gabbay. They have interviews and quotes and context. You have theories pulled whole cloth from nothing.

Crazy.

Qazaq

Banned
You are Glenn Beck at his chalkboard.

It is natural to question reporting, even wise. But you are not doing this. You are placing your any number of alternate scenarios on equal footing with the information that comes as a result of the reporting of Haaretz, directives from Israel's Health Minister director general, and the interviews of Gal Gabbay. They have interviews and quotes and context. You have theories pulled whole cloth from nothing.

Crazy.

Is this an alternate universe?

We have an article that attempts to say Israel, very essentially, has a eugenics program. A systematic effort to make a group of women infertile based on racism.

So because I'm the one NOT jumping to the first conclusions of the article, because I'm NOT jumping to the obvious conspiracy theory... I'm Glenn Beck?

Yet everyone ignoring the insanely obvious holes and very loose dots that have to be pieced together to arrive at this insane conclusion... THAT is sane? How a quote from one or two women out of pro ported THIRTY FIVE out of hundreds of thousands equates to a government wide conspiracy?

But *I'm* Glenn Beck?

People scare me. This is why things like the Holocaust happen.

I mean the reporting of Haaretz didn't even give you actual birth number figures. Just a percentage and a day care worker's conjecture. THAT is what counts for hard facts, and concrete reporting?

The Israel's Health Minister mentioning for doctors to make absolute sure any women weren't being given a drug they didn't fully understand, and that doctors should use translators just to be safe... that's government systemic racism?

*I'M* the Glenn Beck?

genjiZERO

Qazaq.... good grief dude..... give it a rest. You sound... loony..... Your arguments haven't addressed Dreams-Visions statements at all. You seem to be arguing from a "we don't know everything so we know nothing" point of view. Just go to bed man.

Lucario

Blatantly ignoring a potential eugenics scenario and passing it off as anti-semetic propaganda? Extremely hyperbolic, but still a closer parallel than your ridiculous claims of anti-Israel conspiracy.

You cannot possibly think your arguments have merit when you continue comparing people to Hitler for implying that Israel is capable of fault.

beast786

The Israeli government, unfortunately, helps themselves so little.

You cant even hide your ugly anti-semitism. it's this twisted way, where people try to create this evil image of Jewish people. saying stuff like Israeli government can't help them self is dumb and stupid , which directly applies Jewish people don't know what they are doing and are ignorant of what's going on or are helpless as a nation.

Qazaq

Banned
Qazaq.... good grief dude..... give it a rest. You sound... loony..... Your arguments haven't addressed Dreams-Visions statements at all. You seem to be arguing from a "we don't know everything so we know nothing" point of view. Just go to bed man.

Why am I the loony one when we have people going "What a bunch of Ashkenazis"?

The figure "declined 57%" -- from what number to what number? This is basic shit here. But it's okay for everyone to keep rattling on about a eugenics program?

And yet I have no right to feel riled up or the least bit offended?

nib95

Banned

The figure "declined 57%" -- from what number to what number? This is basic shit here. But it's okay for everyone to keep rattling on about a eugenics program?

From the number taken by the same organisation 10 years ago. I'm assuming rounded to reflect population.

Qazaq

Banned
You cannot possibly think your arguments have merit when you continue comparing people to Hitler for implying that Israel is capable of fault.

So when people are willing to swallow what is being reported to them when obvious facts are missing, in order to paint a government (and, society, as many other posters here lumped both in) as evil? For yet another round of "apartheid" and "Nazi" comments?

Yes, peoples' refusal to question is indeed why stuff like the Holocaust happens. Because they're fed something that is shoddy at best, come to a conclusion, get riled up, forms impressions, rinse, repeat.

I have no idea about Haaretz. I'm not accusing them of being anti-Semitic. But this article, it's just absolutely nuts in what it's trying to say with so little evidence. It's a bad article, at lightest.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Hahahahaha, wow!

I very rarely ever have the chance to see Anti Israel = Anti Semitic in action, so this sort of fascinating to see for me.

And for the holocaust card to be drawn too! Fascinating.

beast786

So when people are willing to swallow what is being reported to them when obvious facts are missing, in order to paint a government (and, society, as many other posters here lumped both in) as evil? For yet another round of "apartheid" and "Nazi" comments?

Yes, peoples' refusal to question is indeed why stuff like the Holocaust happens. Because they're fed something that is shoddy at best, come to a conclusion, get riled up, forms impressions, rinse, repeat.

I have no idea about Haaretz. I'm not accusing them of being anti-Semitic. But this article, it's just absolutely nuts in what it's trying to say with so little evidence. It's a bad article, at lightest.

wait what?

ok , I think we are done.

Qazaq

Banned
From the number taken by the same organisation 10 years ago. I'm assuming rounded to reflect population.

...And what is it?

You're assuming. Exactly! We don't know.

It's literally absolutely basic fact. It's not some throwaway detail.

There are so many facts omitted in this article, but I just find the lack of actual hard numbers about the births so obviously egregious.

People don't think there's a difference if Israeli Ethiopians go from having 8 kids to 4 kids? Or from 4 kids to basically 1? Or that it matters in what context it's being compared to? Basic, basic stuff.

I have no idea what it is. I don't know what Haaretz is. I don't make any claims towards what Haaretz is. All I'm attempting to do is look at the article, what it's saying, what it's not saying, and look at the reactions to it.

You specifically said that the article in the OP, which you specifically said you read, reads like anti semitic propaganda.

You claim that their statistics lack context. (What does it matter if the number went from 10 to 5 or 6 to 3 or 4 to 2? Half is half. And they cite someone who works with Ethiopian children noticing their place of work becoming a ghost town.)

You claim that their sources lack credibility and/or their quotes are fabricated.

You claim they are making astounding leaps of logic from limited information.

You are putting the oldest Jewish newspaper in circulation under the microscope and claiming the author has an anti-Jewish agenda. I'm just asking if you mean it, because those are pretty serious accusations. If you don't mean it, don't casually throw it out there as a catch-all phrase to deflect discussion.

If you've actually been reading the comments, you've no doubt seen that these kinds of programs were widespread in the USA for decades. People make Nazi jokes because of the irony involved and because it's the only eugenics program ever covered in public education, but would it make you feel more comfortable if they just said Israel has policies similar to 1950's USA instead of 1940's Germany?

Qazaq

Banned
Hahahahaha, wow!

I very rarely ever have the chance to see Anti Israel = Anti Semitic in action, so this sort of fascinating to see for me.

And for the holocaust card to be drawn too! Fascinating.

Yes, please, feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Qazaq

Banned
You specifically said that the article in the OP, which you specifically said you read, reads like anti semitic propaganda.

You claim that their statistics lack context.

You claim that their sources lack credibility and/or their quotes are fabricated.

You claim they are making astounding leaps of logic from limited information.

You are putting the oldest Jewish newspaper in circulation under the microscope and claiming the author has an anti-Jewish agenda. I'm just asking if you mean it, because those are pretty serious accusations. If you don't mean it, don't casually throw it out there as a catch-all phrase to deflect discussion.

But I haven't been throwing it out casually. I hadn't mentioned Haaretz until you made me mention it. I'm saying, at the very lightest, it's a shoddily written article that wants you to think something very specifically -- without providing you much in the way of evidence in order to think it.

If you've actually been reading the comments, you've no doubt seen that these kinds of programs were widespread in the USA for decades. People make Nazi jokes because of the irony involved and because it's the only eugenics program ever covered in public education, but would it make you feel more comfortable if they just said Israel has policies similar to 1950's USA instead of 1940's Germany?

No, because, again, you're literally leaping to conclusions that have no basis in fact. Why are you so absolutely certain that of all things its a eugenics program?

I think I am in agreement with Qazaq and it doesn't surprise me that here (mostly a group that I would call "the new left") we see so many people making extreme exaggerations against Israel. Which seems rooted with the new lefts extreme support of Palestine (and in some cases Hamas) over Israel. Instead of standing up for our ideals and supporting countries that hold those ideals, we look at the amount dead, assume racism from Westerners/Western Governments (because of the media, Iraq [which was an altruistic war that was incompetently handled BUT eliminated a fascist regime that was responsible for AT LEAST hundreds of thousands of its own civilians killed] and our history with racism and continued racism within the US/Europe [Birth Certificate is a good example: though again partly exaggerated by the media or at least promoted to a degree that induces it] and ASSUME that if we do nothing and don't involve ourselves, Middle Eastern/African and other Third World countries will behave altruistic and democratic by themselves. The new Left is so eager to attack Christianity (as am I) but they hold back against the more extreme and fascist uses of religion with Islamic states. This is why we hear so much exaggeration against Israel and foreign involvement in the Middle East. And to wrap up back on this article, I am not supporting Israel, I am just agreeing with Qazaq that we shouldn't jump to conclusions (as most seem to be doing here). But of course Conspiracy and Jews go hand in hand with anti-western/capitalistic views.

genjiZERO

Offended? What? Why would you be offended by this? Are you the Israeli government? See, that's what you don't seem to be getting: criticizing the Israeli government isn't the same thing as criticizing Israeli people or even Jewish people. But I'm not wasting my time with this. Actually this whole thing is funny. Pretty epic meltdown man.

gonna go ly dow now

Dude, have solace that most people reading all this think you made some good points and argued pretty coherently.

Kad5

As an Iranian-American I can say that the Iranian government sucks. I also think the American government has a questionable foreign policy. I am neither anti-Iranian nor Anti-American.

nib95

Banned
...And what is it?

You're assuming. Exactly! We don't know.

It's literally absolutely basic fact. It's not some throwaway detail.

There are so many facts omitted in this article, but I just find the lack of actual hard numbers about the births so obviously egregious.

People don't think there's a difference if Israeli Ethiopians go from having 8 kids to 4 kids? Or from 4 kids to basically 1? Or that it matters in what context it's being compared to? Basic, basic stuff.

Haaretz is an age old, established and generally widely reputable news agency, though like all others, they can make mistakes. I can't read the article on the actual site (says I have to have an account), I can only read what is written in the OP, but if Haaretz makes such a claim, they will generally have very credible backing and research most times out of ten, this I can assure you. They would not risk the reputation of their establishment on such tom foolery or as you state, made up propaganda, especially on such a poignant article and damning claim.

akira28

Oh ...it's the Ethiopian Jews...when they say "immigrants' they're talking about the Ethiopians who claimed right to return aren't they? That's even worse.

beast786

I think I am in agreement with Qazaq and it doesn't surprise me that here (mostly a group that I would call "the new left") we see so many people making extreme exaggerations against Israel. Which seems rooted with the new lefts extreme support of Palestine (and in some cases Hamas) over Israel. Instead of standing up for our ideals and supporting countries that hold those ideals, we look at the amount dead, assume racism against Westerners/Western Governments (because of the media, Iraq [which was an altruistic war that was incompetently handled BUT eliminated a fascist regime that was responsible for AT LEAST hundreds of thousands of its own civilians killed] and our history with racism and continued racism within the US/Europe [Birth Certificate is a good example: though again partly exaggerated by the media or at least promoted to a degree that induces it] and ASSUME that if we do nothing and don't involve ourselves, Middle Eastern/African and other Third World countries will behave altruistic and democratic by themselves. The new Left is so eager to attack Christianity (as am I) but they hold back against the more extreme and fascist uses of religion with Islamic states. This is why we hear so much exaggeration against Israel and foreign involvement in the Middle East. And to wrap up back on this article, I am not supporting Israel, I am just agreeing with Qazaq that we shouldn't jump to conclusions (as most seem to be doing here). But of course Conspiracy and Jews go hand in hand with anti-western/capitalistic views.

So you are saying who is the Victim in this story? Just want to be clear.

Qazaq

Banned
Haaretz is an age old, established and generally widely reputable news agency. I can't read the article on the actual site (says I have to have an account), I can only read what is written in the OP, but if Haaretz makes such a claim, they will generally have very credible backing and research most times out of ten, this I can assure you.

And yet the "credible backing and research" is absent in this shit article.

Why would you be offended by this?

Because people who are actually anti Semitic and threaten to wipe out Israel do tend to love mixing in with those who just criticize Israel.

And frankly, because everyone's willingness to jump to "Eugenics" and "Nazi" at such scant evidence is offensive, yes.

Qazaq

Banned
Man, some of the Israeli's on this forum....hardcore bunch....

I don't mean this as a defense of the things the Israeli government does, but you know, when a country is established after a group of people has endured yet the latest attempt by the world to wipe them out, they don't fuck around, or let other people fuck them around.

And I'm not Israeli.

nib95

Banned
I don't mean this as a defense of the things the Israeli government does, but you know, when a country is established after a group of people has endured yet the latest attempt by the world to wipe them out, they don't fuck around, or let other people fuck them around.

Qazaq said:
And I'm not Israeli.

My bad.

genjiZERO

I think I am in agreement with Qazaq and it doesn't surprise me that here (mostly a group that I would call "the new left") we see so many people making extreme exaggerations against Israel. Which seems rooted with the new lefts extreme support of Palestine (and in some cases Hamas) over Israel. Instead of standing up for our ideals and supporting countries that hold those ideals, we look at the amount dead, assume racism against Westerners/Western Governments (because of the media, Iraq [which was an altruistic war that was incompetently handled BUT eliminated a fascist regime that was responsible for AT LEAST hundreds of thousands of its own civilians killed] and our history with racism and continued racism within the US/Europe [Birth Certificate is a good example: though again partly exaggerated by the media or at least promoted to a degree that induces it] and ASSUME that if we do nothing and don't involve ourselves, Middle Eastern/African and other Third World countries will behave altruistic and democratic by themselves. The new Left is so eager to attack Christianity (as am I) but they hold back against the more extreme and fascist uses of religion with Islamic states. This is why we hear so much exaggeration against Israel and foreign involvement in the Middle East. And to wrap up back on this article, I am not supporting Israel, I am just agreeing with Qazaq that we shouldn't jump to conclusions (as most seem to be doing here). But of course Conspiracy and Jews go hand in hand with anti-western/capitalistic views.

Um, what?

Because people who are actually anti Semitic and threaten to wipe out Israel do tend to love mixing in with those who just criticize Israel.

And frankly, because everyone's willingness to jump to "Eugenics" and "Nazi" at such scant evidence is offensive, yes.

If you're genuinely offended because people equate the questionable practices of the Israeli with "Nazis" then I feel sorry for you.

So you are saying who is the Victim in this story? Just want to be clear.

I'm saying the article has flimsy evidence and that nothing rash should be concluded on it. But many people on the new left ignore the entire situation and just focus on the negatives of Western foreign aggression. So that's all they see and that's all they want to see. It's the kind of people who start their argument about Iraq with "Yeah Saddam was a bad guy..." To loosely quote Christopher Hitchens, they have no idea what it would be like to live under his fascist regime, to be forced to applaud the execution of your own family members. To be in fear of your life to voice your opinion about his regime and handlings. They don't see this side (and I am not suggesting I know what thats like either, cause I don't) but when you phrase him as "yeah he was a bad guy" you are assuming you do understand and that you can weigh the post-Saddam Iraq against Saddam Iraq. All these attitudes that have been building up EXPLAIN why so many people call Israel nazis or a monster etc... The evidence is flimsy for those kind of comparisons and I can only explain those comparisons by general attitudes of the new left.

I'm not Israeli either btw.

beast786

And I'm not Israeli.

Wow, now the all of world is anti-Semitic

I say majority of that world gave there lives to save them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes, please, feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Nah, not gonna bother.

Look for Dreams-Vision for example; not gonna bother like him. You're consistent though, I'll give you that.

I'll just be here, entertained by your continuous replies to people. "The latest attempt by the world to wipe them out" for example; that's priceless.

The fact (?) that you are not Israeli makes it even more fascinating.

Qazaq

Banned
Wow, now the all of world is anti-Semitic

I say majority of that world gave there lives to save them.

I mean "world" in that there was another mass effort to wipe out the Jews on a global scale -- as has happened since the Jewish religion was founded. Jews are well aware of that history.

Qazaq

Banned
If you're genuinely offended because people equate the questionable practices of the Israeli with "Nazis" then I feel sorry for you.

It IS offensive -- because people are willing to do it at the shoddiest evidence presented to them.

Yes, it is fucking offensive.

beast786

I'm saying the article has flimsy evidence and that nothing rash should be concluded on it. But many people on the new left ignore the entire situation and just focus on the negatives of Western foreign aggression. So that's all they see and that's all they want to see. It's the kind of people who start their argument about Iraq with "Saddam was a bad guy..." To loosely quote Christopher Hitchens, they have no idea what it would be like to live under his fascist regime, to be forced to applaud the execution of your own family members. To be in fear of your life to voice your opinion about his regime and handlings. They don't see this side (and I am not suggesting I know what thats like either) but I am surely don't push someone as Evil aside by calling him just a "bad guy."

I'm not Israeli either btw.

What did one had anything to do with other. If you want to talk about Iraq war, Hitchens comment about living in fascist regime ect you can always start a thread and we would love to discuss it.

Qazaq

Banned
What did one had anything to do with other. If you want to talk about Iraq war, Hitchens comment about living in fascist regime ect you can always start a thread and we would love to discuss it.

We could, of course, also talk about the "Flimsy evidence" part which no one seems to care about but I've been shouting about all this time.

beast786

No one has denied that there is racism the Ethiopians have to contend with.

But, um, how does "certain landlords in southern Israel" mean governmet?

Lol, I love how quickly you can now differentiate between people and goverment . Amazing.

genjiZERO

It IS offensive -- because people are willing to do it at the shoddiest evidence presented to them.

Yes, it is fucking offensive.

No it's not. Offensive is the way the Israeli government treats Palestinians. Offensive is the way Ahmadinejad denies the Holocaust. Criticizing the Israeli government no matter how scant the evidence isn't offensive. Grow up.

It's relevant to the discussion, specifically Qazaq's point about why he finds conclusions made against Israel in this thread offensive. I believe its related to general feelings of anti-western foriegn involvement in the middle east and therefore the continued hatred against Israel for being a western force in that region.

Qazaq

Banned
No it's not. Offensive is the way the Israeli government treats Palestinians. Offensive is the way Ahmadinejad denies the Holocaust. Criticizing the Israeli government no matter how scant the evidence isn't offensive. Grow up.

Saying there's a government-wide eugenics program when there's almost no evidence is morally repugnant, illogical, offensive, and just plain fucking stupid.

Saying there's a government-wide eugenics program when there's almost no evidence is morally repugnant, illogical, offensive, and just plain fucking stupid.

Pretty much... hopefully more investigation will be pursued if there is a government wide eugenics program, but until there is evidence, acting like there is, could be considered anti semitic.

Lolz. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid buddy.

Demanding evidence is the opposite of drinking kool-aid. That's for people who refuse to acknowledge counter arguments against their beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom