• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Admits Birth Control Program for Ethiopians (2010, new info 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromat

Again I will say that you guys are taking one article based on one organization and then blaming an entire country for being basically Nazis.

So according to this logic, because of Abu Ghraib the United States is an anti-Muslim, human rights violating psychopath nation. The very fact that this accusations are leveled in an Israeli newspaper by an Israeli organization means that the country cannot be as morally bankrupt as everyone here is happy to agree on.

Really? I quite remember when Israel created refugee camps for a few months back and there was a thread on neogaf where people were equating those detention camps with Nazi concentration camps with the goal of demonizing the Jewish people. How did I come to the conclusion? Well because at the same time Italy also created detention camps for illegal refugees that were coming from North Africa and yet the "champions of human rights" on these boards did never mention it once and only cared to focus on Israel.
Were the posters to which you are referring made aware of said Italian refugee camps?

You have demonstrated lack of awareness, not lack of care. Unless you can provide some sort of evidence that said posters knew about and deliberately ignored the Italy story while acutely upset about the Israel story.

Also, moral relativism sucks. Don't employ it. It makes you look dishonest.

Same way that no one really cares that 60 thousand people are dead in Syria but when Israel killed 6 people on a boat there were 100 pages of supposed "champions of Human rights and anti war" users demonizing Israel and Jews and passionate calls for action to be taken.
You're kinda new here, so trust me when I say that people fucking care that thousands are dying in Syria. That is simply an ignorant statement.

Again I will say that you guys are taking one article based on one organization and then blaming an entire country for being basically Nazis.
People are indicting government officials and their stooge doctors, not the people at large. Absorb the difference.

You guys are killing me softly with these straw men and relativistic arguments.

Cromat

You guys are killing me softly with these straw men and relativistic arguments.

See the first page. "Most ironic country", "basically Nazis" etc. The bottom line is this: the government in Israel and the people of Israel never initiated a eugenics program against the Ethiopian community. Some sort of medical prejudice is behind this policy being enforced, but it's not widespread institutional racism. Just relax.

Also if you don't think Israel gets harsher treatment in this forum... well what can I say.

bjb

Banned
So I'm reading The Israel Lobby right now by John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt. Link

God damn. What a fucking corrupt mess both nations are (Israel and the US). Except I don't get it, though. The United States provides Israel with so much support:

Since the October War in 1973, Washington has provided Israel with a level of support dwarfing that given to any other state. It has been the largest annual recipient of direct economic and military assistance since 1976, and is the largest recipient in total since World War Two, to the tune of well over $140 billion (in 2004 dollars). Israel receives about $3 billion in direct assistance each year, roughly one-fifth of the foreign aid budget, and worth about $500 a year for every Israeli. This largesse is especially striking since Israel is now a wealthy industrial state with a per capita income roughly equal to that of South Korea or Spain.

Yet in turn, the AIPAC has seemingly endless resources to lobby and influence / dictate U.S. policies that favor Israel. Where the fuck is AIPAC money (revenue) coming from? The book certainly mentions that they (Israel) sell our secrets and technology to China. Is Israel using America's money to lobby, or is it largely private citizens (rich Jewish Americans) perpetrating the strong-arming.

Also this next point is utterly disturbing:

The Lobby also includes prominent Christian evangelicals like Gary Bauer, Jerry Falwell, Ralph Reed and Pat Robertson, as well as Dick Armey and Tom DeLay, former majority leaders in the House of Representatives, all of whom believe Israel’s rebirth is the fulfilment of biblical prophecy and support its expansionist agenda; to do otherwise, they believe, would be contrary to God’s will

What in the fuck?

Teva

Banned
It's also a flawed excuse because the situation in Israel and the occupied territories is a great source of grievances for a billion Muslim people and in a very unstable region of the world. You can't just brush it off as Western media focusing on something insignificant and blowing out of proportions. It's already out of proportions so media scrutiny is a given.

It's not Darfur or Rwanda where hardly anyone cared, despite the seriousness of those situations.

It grieved a billion Muslims when the Jews restored a 600 year old Synagogue which the Jordanians destroyed during the Jordanian occupation of Jerusalem.
It also Grievs a billion Muslims that Jews have a link to the land of Israel. Should the Jews give up their heritage and ancient monuments in order to appease a billion Muslims?
There were more Jewish refugees from Arab countries than Palestinians from Israel and the Arabs stole more Jewish land from the indigenous Jews who were expelled than Israel did Palestinian so don't try and make this situation one sided.

params7

Banned
See the first page. "Most ironic country", "basically Nazis" etc. The bottom line is this: the government in Israel and the people of Israel never initiated a eugenics program against the Ethiopian community.

The comparisons are reaching, no doubt, but they come since it was even allowed to happen in the first place. Something this atrocious should not even be possible in this day and age. Specially given history and Israel.

params7

Banned
It grieved a billion Muslims when the Jews restored a 600 year old Synagogue which the Jordanians destroyed during the Jordanian occupation of Jerusalem.
It also Grievs a billion Muslims that Jews have a link to the land of Israel. Should the Jews give up their heritage and ancient monuments in order to appease a billion Muslims?
There were more Jewish refugees from Arab countries than Palestinians from Israel and the Arabs stole more Jewish land from the indigenous Jews who were expelled than Israel did Palestinian so don't try and make this situation one sided.

Yeah that justifies breaking up Palestine and expanding on their borders today. If you truly believe this, why not just carry out a full invasion and take all of it, map your borders and stick to it once and for all? I think it'll look better too. Rather than carrying this slow continental-drift style expansion into Palestine.

Teva

Banned
The comparisons are reaching, no doubt, but they come since it was even allowed to happen in the first place. Something this atrocious should not even be possible in this day and age. Specially given history and Israel.

Your comments only serve to water down the horrors of the Nazi regime.

So according to this logic, because of Abu Ghraib the United States is an anti-Muslim, human rights violating psychopath nation. The very fact that this accusations are leveled in an Israeli newspaper by an Israeli organization means that the country cannot be as morally bankrupt as everyone here is happy to agree on.

And all I'm going to say is that I made a couple of long posts on the previuos page acknowledging that because nations are made up of many people with diverse political opinions, it is quite possible for countries (like the USA, or Israel) to create laws and perform actions that a large part (or even a majority in some instances) disagree with, or even find morally reprehensible.

So when I argue that the Israeli government is being naughty, please don't take that to mean "fuck all Israelis". Just as criticizing my government, or a particular politician, or a particular state, does not literally mean that I wish someone would just get rid of America. I like it here!

Can you imagine how absurd the US poligaf thread here would be if no one ever conceded that the government made mistakes?

And yet in this very thread we have one poster who simply refuses to believe the story because it disagrees with his world view, and another who only thinks it's being discussed because people love picking on Israel. Trying to shut down political discussion when it's troubling is counter intuitive, it's precisely when trouble arises that we need discussion.

Your thoughts are really all around on this. Let's make it simpler for you.

Do you recognize there is an unresolved conflict between Palestianians (and other Muslims by proixy) and Jews? Leave the BS about your trip to Israel and how everything was peaches. Just yes or no. Assuming your answer is yes, do you recognize that there was and there still is an effort to foster some kind peace process between both parties like the Oslo accord of 1993 with the Palestinians or the peace treaties between Israel and Jordan/Egypt? I'm assuming yes is your answer again.

Leave trivial issues about synagogues or victimhood olympics. My point is simply that general issue matters to the Arab world. No excuses. No judgement call. Just recognizing a reality that exists and why it matters.

bjb

Banned
Your comments only serve to water down the horrors of the Nazi regime.

Or a reminder that Israel isn't immune to inhumane acts against other ethnicities / religions. For example:

In the same way, the creation of Israel in 1947-48 involved acts of ethnic cleansing, including executions, massacres and rapes by Jews, and Israel’s subsequent conduct has often been brutal, belying any claim to moral superiority. Between 1949 and 1956, for example, Israeli security forces killed between 2700 and 5000 Arab infiltrators, the overwhelming majority of them unarmed. The IDF murdered hundreds of Egyptian prisoners of war in both the 1956 and 1967 wars, while in 1967, it expelled between 100,000 and 260,000 Palestinians from the newly conquered West Bank, and drove 80,000 Syrians from the Golan Heights.

During the first intifada, the IDF distributed truncheons to its troops and encouraged them to break the bones of Palestinian protesters. The Swedish branch of Save the Children estimated that ‘23,600 to 29,900 children required medical treatment for their beating injuries in the first two years of the intifada.’ Nearly a third of them were aged ten or under.

Teva

Banned
do you recognize that there was and there still is an effort to foster some kind peace process between both parties like the Oslo accord of 1993 with the Palestinians or the peace treaties between Israel and Jordan/Egypt?

There was a peace effort up until the PA decided not to work with Israel on achieving a peace plan . I'm still wondering why Abbas never responded to Olmerts peace plan 4 years ago which basically gave the Palestinians what they wanted.....he even wanted to create a highway that would stretch from Gaza to the west bank in order to connect the territories.....

goomba

Banned
Zionist Israel will be looked back on just as Apartheid South Africa is now.

Im hopeful that true democracy will occur , having one state with equal rights for Palestinians and Jews alike (what a concept!). I think it was Gaddafi who coined the name "Israelestine"

There's obviously a serious story here, but one detail makes me doubt at least some elements of it -- depo provera isn't "controversial", it's not "long-term", and although it has been associated with bone density loss, the article portrays it as if there is a horrible drug, un-approved, wild and dangerous. I know many people on depo provera, and at least in the country where I live, it is not treated the way this article treats it.

Now, again, that's not to say anything about the troubling social aspects the article treats, the apparent racism at play, etc. I'm just saying that the article is not neutral in its presentation of depo provera.

Like all birth control there are side effects and some women cannot handle the drug at all very well and the side effects do not stop until the shot wears off. So imagine headache, nausea, irregular bleeding, depression, appetite loss (or gain) for 12-14 weeks. Then it happens all over again because you don't know you're being subjected to this stuff. Not to mention if you want to have kids you can't. It's pretty controversial to subject women to birth control without their permission, especially one in which they're undergoing symptoms of a drug they're unknowingly taking over and over. I can't imagine the stress of trying for a child and thinking you're fucking barren because the doctors are fucking with your hormones unbeknownst to you. Not to mention your period just up and stopping out of nowhere, that's got to be a shock.

There was a peace effort up until the PA decided not to work with Israel on achieving a peace plan . I'm still wondering why Abbas never responded to Olmerts peace plan 4 years ago which basically gave the Palestinians what they wanted.....he even wanted to create a highway that would stretch from Gaza to the west bank in order to connect the territories.....

Just curious, did Israel do anything wrong, not just with the peace process but in general? If possible, list mistakes that are not along the lines of "they were too nice" or "they were fools to believe Arafat". You know, real mistakes.

I'm only asking because you're pretty one-sided about Israel.

Cromat

Zionist Israel will be looked back on just as Apartheid South Africa is now.

Im hopeful that true democracy will occur , having one state with equal rights for Palestinians and Jews alike (what a concept!). I think it was Gaddafi who coined the name "Israelestine"

What will that country be based on? What will be the flag? What will be the anthem? Will the IDF and Hamas be joined into one army? What will be taught in schools? How will the budget be allocated? How will foreign policy be decided?

The single state solution is not a solution at all. It's will quickly devolve into a civil war and bring us to the exact same situation we're in now.

The only viable solution is two states, like in the Clinton parameters or the Olmert-Abbas negotiations of 2008. It will happen, if not today then tomorrow. It requires an alignment of the political situation for both Israelis and Palestinians. I'm willing to bet that it will happen in the next ten years.

Dead Man

But Israel *is* allowing them to emigrate as freely as economics will allow (their biggest concern is integrating people into society properly - I hope that you can at least understand that you can't just transplant people from one part of the world to another without any problems along the way). You make it sound like the government of Israel is deliberately trying to keep Ethiopian Jews out of the country *because* they are dark skinned when there is no evidence to support that claim. This is your own projection that you are applying to the situation. I strongly, strongly suggest you actually read up on the history of Ethiopian Jews before you make anymore comments in this thread.

My projection? I think you may need to learn what words mean before you start using them. All I am doing is saying Israel did them no special favours, they are entitled to live there since Israel is the homeland for the Jews. I make it sound like Israel is expecting a pat on the back for doing the bare minimum because that is exactly what is happening. Well, you are expecting people to pat them on the back anyway, Israelis in general tend to be a more individual lot.

What will that country be based on? What will be the flag? What will be the anthem? Will the IDF and Hamas be joined into one army? What will be taught in schools? How will the budget be allocated? How will foreign policy be decided?

The single state solution is not a solution at all. It's will quickly devolve into a civil war and bring us to the exact same situation we're in now.

The only viable solution is two states, like in the Clinton parameters or the Olmert-Abbas negotiations of 2008. It will happen, if not today then tomorrow. It requires an alignment of the political situation for both Israelis and Palestinians. I'm willing to bet that it will happen in the next ten years.

Jesus, really? You really think they can't live together? There is no way for them not to go to war over a flag and curriculum? There are no 2 states that are viable now, there is no viable Palestinian country. Israel has ensured it is going to be a one state solution of some kind.

sphagnum

Banned
Also this next point is utterly disturbing:

The Lobby also includes prominent Christian evangelicals like Gary Bauer, Jerry Falwell, Ralph Reed and Pat Robertson, as well as Dick Armey and Tom DeLay, former majority leaders in the House of Representatives, all of whom believe Israel’s rebirth is the fulfilment of biblical prophecy and support its expansionist agenda; to do otherwise, they believe, would be contrary to God’s will.

What in the fuck?

A popular reading of certain biblical prophecies regarding the end times is that Israel must exist, because the "abomination that causes desolation" (the Antichrist) is said to sit in the temple and proclaim himself God. As there is no temple, the prophecy can't be fulfilled yet. If the Palestinians were removed from the equation and a temple allowed to be built where the Dome of the Rock currently is, which is the traditional site of the ancient temple, then the prophecy could move along.

I remember how excited my youth group leaders were about this prospect when I was a child. It's funny how the same people fear Barack Obama for being the Antichrist - wouldn't that be a good thing since it would bring back Jesus sooner?

jaxword

It's funny how the same people fear Barack Obama for being the Antichrist - wouldn't that be a good thing since it would bring back Jesus sooner?

Logic doesn't work.

You may as well ask why bothering to live at all since heaven is so infinitely greater than this sin-cursed world. You'd WANT to die sooner, why waste time here?

GusBus

My projection? I think you may need to learn what words mean before you start using them. All I am doing is saying Israel did them no special favours, they are entitled to live there since Israel is the homeland for the Jews. I make it sound like Israel is expecting a pat on the back for doing the bare minimum because that is exactly what is happening. Well, you are expecting people to pat them on the back anyway, Israelis in general tend to be a more individual lot.

I'm lost.

That aside, I think this is indeed a very troubling issue, though I would like more evidence of government coercion or support before jumping to conclusions.

That's naive because settlement policy in West Bank makes a two state solution increasingly less likely. That's the point of the policy in the first place: create a fait accompli on the ground and a future Palestinian state impossible in the West Bank. And then what?

The one state solution becomes the only other solution left by default.

But Israel is perfectly content as things are now. Palestians in the West Bank are neutered. Settlements continue. Gaza is bottled up. There's no reason for peace and no mood for it either. Israel is too powerful and the Palestinians are too weak.

lol, if these are the principle concerns for you with regard to a single state...lol.

how will they agree on a flag and anthem! KILL THE IDEA NOW. These are all matters that mature people can come to reasonable agreement on. The objective is much more important than any of those trivial issues, and people with a mind focused on coming together resolve such matters with reasonable speed.

Dead Man

I'm lost.

That aside, I think this is indeed a very troubling issue, though I would like more evidence of government coercion or support before jumping to conclusions.

What I meant was that he expected people to pat them on the back, but I have no idea where he is from. Actual Israelis are not a homogeneous whole and I wanted to make sure I said that. Probably not very clear though, sorry. Just got off night shift. Very tired.

Teva

Banned
That's naive because settlement policy in West Bank makes a two state solution increasingly less likely. That's the point of the policy in the first place: create a fait accompli on the ground and a future Palestinian state impossible in the West Bank. And then what?

The one state solution becomes the only other solution left by default.

But Israel is perfectly content as things are now. Palestians in the West Bank are neutered. Settlements continue. Gaza is bottled up. There's no reason for peace and no mood for it either. Israel is too powerful and the Palestinians are too weak.

That's why peace talks should continue between both opposing sides. What the PA is doing now is trying to bypass peace talks and is going straight to the UN to try and draw their own lines without consulting their neighbours that they are supposed to be working with.... It makes no sense.

Dead Man

That's why peace talks should continue between both opposing sides. What the PA is doing now is trying to bypass peace talks and is going straight to the UN to try and draw their own lines without consulting their neighbours that they are supposed to be working with.... It makes no sense.

Someone who was a clever dick might point out that that method seemed to work okay for Israel.

Teva

Banned
You asked for someone to be banned for pointing out how detrimental Israel's actions have been to Gaza. You don't really have a leg to stand on.

When someone generalizes an entire complex situation with HURR DERRR ISRAELIS ARE KILLING EVERYONE AND ARE BAD without even posting evidence for such claims then that claim is open for scrutiny by others. That kind of talk leads no where.
Maybe I should post about how Arabs are the heirs to the Nazi regime and are the root of all evil and are the root cause of this conflict then call anyone who opposes me a Hamas Terrorist since you seem to like that kind of rhetoric.

When someone generalizes an entire complex situation with HURR DERRR ISRAELIS ARE KILLING EVERYONE AND ARE BAD without even posting evidence for such claims then that claim is open for scrutiny by others. That kind of talk leads no where.
Maybe I should post about how Arabs are the heirs to the Nazi regime and are the root of all evil and are the root cause of this conflict then call anyone who opposes me a Hamas Terrorist since you seem to like that kind of rhetoric.

Arabs are a race. Israelis are not.

Teva

Banned
Arabs are a race. Israelis are not.

Arab isn't a race.
Semites are a race which Arabs and Jews belong to.
and many Palestinian Arabs were once Jews who were forced to convert during Malmuk and Ottoman rule.
Not sure what this has to do with anything TBH.

Kad5

^Indeed. There are two potential outcomes. A two-state solution (which seems the most realistic if Zionists want to keep a Jewish state) or a single-state solution which would consist of a secular democratic state not defined by any specific ethnic identity other than a semitic one (but this would effectively destroy Israel's identity and would be a majority palestinian state). I can't realistically see most Israelis agreeing to having their nation-state dismantled in favor of a unified semitic one. Personally I would prefer the single state but perhaps it could be similar to the UK where the jews have their own autonomy in a region of the new state and palestinians would have their own region unified under some kind of federal system.

I suppose I could see two separate palestinian states out of Gaza and the West bank potentially but I think that would just further complicate things.

Arab isn't a race.
Semites are a race which Arabs and Jews belong to.
and many Palestinian Arabs were once Jews who were forced to convert during Malmuk and Ottoman rule.
Not sure what this has to do with anything TBH.

It doesn't work that way, even if it is technically correct. When someone says "anti-Semite", they are referring to being against Jews. When was the last time you heard someone say "anti-Semite" towards someone who was racist against Arabs?

And since anti-Semitism is a bad thing, why is no negative connotation placed upon anti-Arab sentiments? In a lot of Israeli dialogue, you hear a lot of anti-Arab rhetoric but these Israelis do not get called on their racism. You can probably tune in to any channel in Israel or comments section online discussing Arabs in Israel and you'll find obvious racism that is not given a second thought but the idea that anti-Semtism being common in the Arab countries is seen as abhorrent when these Arab countries can in no way affect Jews whereas racist rhetoric against Arabs by Israelis is not given a second thought when Israelis and their government regularly play a largely negative part in the lives of millions of Arabs.

In fact, you'll find general accusations against Arabs as an entity on even Western programs that host Israeli commenters.

Also, it does have to do with what you have posted, as you conflated generalizing of Israelis to generalizing of races. A lot of people generalize nations because majorities do rule in democratic nations. People say that Americans are fat. Does that mean all Americans are fat? Of course not.

And if you really want to talk about forced conversion, you'll find that any nation that conquered another did bring along with it its fair share of forced conversion - including Judaism. But once again, you're making a general statement since Jews in the Levant pretty much were allowed to practice their religion in peace (in fact, under Ottoman rule, the quota for Jewish migrants was a lot higher than it was even under British rule). It was in Africa where they faced forced conversions when multiple competing caliphates appeared, with one side calling for forced conversion while the other side fighting against it.

Teva

Banned
^Indeed. There are two potential outcomes. A two-state solution (which seems the most realistic if Zionists want to keep a Jewish state) or a single-state solution which would consist of a secular democratic state not defined by any specific ethnic identity other than a semitic one (but this would effectively destroy Israel's identity and would be a majority palestinian state). I can't realistically see most Israelis agreeing to having their nation-state dismantled in favor of a unified semitic one. Personally I would prefer the single state but perhaps it could be similar to the UK where the jews have their own autonomy in a region of the new state and palestinians would have their own region unified under some kind of federal system.

I suppose I could see two separate palestinian states out of Gaza and the West bank potentially but I think that would just further complicate things.

I do believe this would be the better choice in the long run for both peoples but before it happens they need to find a way to break the mistrust between them.

I do believe this would be the better choice in the long run for both peoples but before it happens they need to find a way to break the mistrust between them.

A single state solution is something that would be the undoing of Israel, according to Israelis themselves. The foundation of Israel is that it is a "Jewish state" and since Arabs have a higher birth rate, they would eventually surpass the Jewish population and democracy would work against the Jewish population. This is one of the fears that Israelis have with a "one state solution".

You see a similar fear in some (racist) Europeans as well with regards to future demographics of Europe.

Igo

The Palestinians have never been offered full sovereignty, and they shouldn't except anything less.

Teva

Banned
A single state solution is something that would be the undoing of Israel, according to Israelis themselves. The foundation of Israel is that it is a "Jewish state" and since Arabs have a higher birth rate, they would eventually surpass the Jewish population and democracy would work against the Jewish population. This is one of the fears that Israelis have with a "one state solution".

You see a similar fear in some (racist) Europeans as well with regards to future demographics of Europe.

That's the thing. Jews in Israel believe that they can never be safe in a country unless they are the majority since they have been persecuted by so many regimes through out their history. The Palestinians need to break down the walls they have against the Jews and both parties need to accept each other as brothers under a united Semtic nation. Once that happens they need to create a constitution which will guarantee the security of all peoples in their country.

Too bad this will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom