• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bitpill

Have fun with these watered down games that are all inclusive. Thankfully we're at a point in game development where there will be more indie publishers down the line, making games that are actually good.

If there isn't one SHEEEEEEEEEIT from the fictional black samurai, did they actuarially get his character dialog right?
giphy.gif

Griffon

People are quick to forget that Nioh initially received kind of a similar reaction. Culture war wasn't as strongly in play back then, but if it was done today it would be the same circus.

Last edited:

Toons

You should try Vinland Saga before posting bait cringe. It's surely ten times more accurate than anything in AC Valhalla while being both manga and anime at the same time.

Bait cringe? I think its pretty relevant.

Yea theres much more accurate portrayals of history coming out of Japan and there's accurate portrayals of history that come out of western media still too.

They don't all have to be historically accurate. Thats not an actual virtue of quality or anything, never has been and thats my point, as well as the fact that Japan has nk issue twisting history for narrative or cultural reasons(fate is just a major example far from the only one).

Toons

People are quick to forget that Nioh initially received kind of a similar reaction. Culture war wasn't as strongly in play back then, but if it was done today it would be the same circus.

You're probably right, and much like with nioh none if its going to matter when the next big controversy comes up. All of these tend to be short lived, no one is still arguing about nioh.

What will matter is if its a decent game or not

Griffon

To add to that tho: in the particular case of AC:Shadows, we all perfectly know why Ubisoft has chosen this character. You can bet your ass that it was mostly because it fits their aggressive activism message.

The issue at play here is intent. And we've got a lot of recepts on what those people think and why they do what they do. The benefit of the doubt is long gone and buried.

Last edited:

DanielG165

This is especially egregious after we just had an absolute tour de force of a series in Shinobi, and an open world samurai/ninja game that did it right in GoT. Come on, Ubisoft.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Who the fuck care? They are fucking fictional video games and as far as I’m concerned devs can do whatever the fuck they want with their own games.

If devs lose their freedom to make what they want just because bunch of whiners on internet then gaming industry really is fucked.

Also this coming from someone who has no interest in this game.

Last edited:
It's not clear why Ubisoft decided to make an AssCreed game set in Japan in the first place, considering that we are currently drowning in open world games set in Japan and nobody asked for an AssCreed game there after both Ghost of Tsushima and Rise of the Ronin have already been released and both are good games which star an actual Japanese protagonist in feudal Japan
This, and why do they hire woke ass 50 pro noun lead writer. Are all genz game , movie and show writers, woke infected? Wtf...

I didn't think it was possible, but there are actually random westerners in her comments trying to explain why she is wrong about her own lineage and retainers.

This is peak FF XIII meme levels of hilarity.

So westerners are not allowed to tell her about retainers but westerners are allowed to make a game about a retainer? Nice logic bud. Your defense of this turd is admirable dear westerner.

So westerners are not allowed to tell her about her own retainers
"Why no you're wrong about your own family The Cockatrice The Cockatrice , instead let me describe your own family history to you because you don't understand it ...you see, on a hot summer day..."
but westerners are allowed to make a game about a retainer?
"Hey, let's pick a cool historic figure and make them cooler in a historical fiction video game"

If you think the above two are the same, then I'm just not sure what to say man.

"Why no you're wrong about your own family The Cockatrice The Cockatrice , instead let me describe your own family history to you because you don't understand it ...you see, on a hot summer day..."

"Hey, let's pick a cool historic figure and make them cooler in a historical fiction video game"

If you think the above two are the same, then I'm just not sure what to say man.

Im pretty sure historians would know better about my great-great-great-great-grandfather than me and thats probably the case for a lot of people. We both know Ubisofts intention was not to make him cooler and the reason why he was picked. Thats the issue. If From Ninja or From Software made this game, no one would care because we would know their intentions would be genuine. THATS the issue. Ignorance is bliss i suppose. Feel free to consume your pandering generic AAA food citizen.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Y'all done pissed off descendants now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

did anyone actually bother to look at this account, just a few scrolls tells you everything you need to know.

I didn't think it was possible, but there are actually random westerners in her comments trying to explain why she is wrong about her own lineage and retainers.

This is peak FF XIII meme levels of hilarity.
I thought we were all about the facts, nothing but the facts. but now you are praising a random tweet from a random person who very clearly has an activist profile...

hmmmm...

We found out that Remedy did hire consultants to work on Alan Wake 2. On an enthusiast gaming forum, why is it unusual that hobbyists are upset that people with no interest in the art form are having so much of an influence on it?
Yeah, because what kind of developer would make a game that has a black woman as the main character? Incel losers be like "It has to be because the consulting firm forced them to do it". Just lolz

Consulting firms don't re-write or force a studio to do anything. They consult. And if you are a Finnish studio developing a game set in America it is probably wise to hire a consulting firm

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Consulting firms don't re-write or force a studio to do anything. They consult. And if you are a Finnish studio developing a game set in America it is probably wise to hire a consulting firm
Yeah, Remedy never made any games based in America before..

..What the fuck did I just read?

What universe are we in today?

Im pretty sure historians would know better about my great-great-great-great-grandfather than me and thats probably the case for a lot of people.
That's...kind of unfortunate man. You should look into your own history when you get the chance. You might find some interesting info. Also, you still didn't get my point about intent. To explain, one intent is telling someone they don't know something about a subject they have a high percent chance of knowing about since it involves their own family, and the other point is wanting to do cool stuff with a moment in history. The two don't coorelate.
I thought we were all about the facts, nothing but the facts. but now you are praising a random tweet from a random person who very clearly has an activist profile...

hmmmm...
Can you answer what activism has to do with her own family history?

Doesn't it get boring waiting to dunk on someone?

StueyDuck

That's...kind of unfortunate man. You should look into your own history when you get the chance. You might find some interesting info. Also, you still didn't get my point about intent. To explain, one intent is telling someone they don't know something about a subject they have a high percent chance of knowing about since it involves their own family, and the other point is wanting to do cool stuff with a moment in history. The two don't coorelate.

Can you answer what activism has to do with her own family history?

Doesn't it get boring waiting to dunk on someone?
Xv1kIQC.png

This is her own bio, so tell me, how is she a historian? Where is her facts coming from? again we cared about the facts earlier but now we take her word for it because "Trust me bro"

Yeah, because what kind of developer would make a game that has a black woman as the main character? Incel losers be like "It has to be because the consulting firm forced them to do it". Just lolz

Rockstar Games is based in the UK and has consistently made games which understand America better than most Americas do for over 20 years, long before anyone had invented DEI consultancies

Griffon

Remedy did it because they needed the money. Let the the initially white character get blackwashed by consultancy grifter firms in order to get easy DEI fundings.

Nervous Episode 1 GIF by The Office

Hudo

This series died when Patrice Desilets left anyway. The last hurrah of the then already dying series was Unity (AC Rogue, AC3 were mid. AC4 was not a good AC game) and nothing else of note has come since.

It's best to not expect anything, so you won't get disappointed. And if, for some magical reason, Ubisoft manage to actually make a good AC game by mistake, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This is her own bio, so tell me, how is she a historian?
Never said she was.
Where is her facts coming from?
Her own family history. You should ask her about it. I'm sure there are quite a few people from Japanese families who have extensive record or were told their family history.
again we cared about the facts earlier
Still do. That doesn't change.
but now we take her word for it because "Trust me bro"
Read my first post about it, I said verbatim: "I didn't think it was possible, but there are actually random westerners in her comments trying to explain why she is wrong about her own lineage and retainers."

The idea of it is funny. But you're so laser focused on dunking that you're trying to catch me in an oopsie moment. C'mon, let's keep going.

200.gif

rofif

Banned
Who the fuck care? They are fucking fictional video games and as far as I’m concerned devs can do whatever the fuck they want with their own games.

If devs lose their freedom to make what they want just because bunch of whiners on internet then gaming industry really is fucked.

Also this coming from someone who has no interest in this game.
I am actually with you on this one.

Yasuke is a very interesting choice as protagonist, but he's a bad choice as a member of the Assassin's Creed,

Naoe makes sense as a Shinobi, she's a common villager and most people wouldn't think of her as an assassin let alone as a capable fighter. Connor from AC3 was a Native America, but he could still blend in but he still had problems with being noticed.

Meanwhile Yasuke was the only Black Person in the entirety of Japan in Edo period, he's like the worst possible choice of an assassin you could ever pick, as soon as the portuguese came with him to Osaka the entire city found out about him in the span of a couple days, that's how Nobunaga hired him. He has the same energy as a chinese dinasty warrior in ancient Rome, you would be unable to walk around unoticed.

I mean, a whole point in Ghost of Tsushima was Jin hiding his identity so he could remain unnoticed as The Ghost.
agreed. now naoe as lone protagonist? would've been a return to old school assassin's creed, before lead characters (bayek, kassandra, eivor) became 'warriors who just sorta also happen to be assassins'. which would've been very nice, & very welcomed, personally...

StueyDuck

Never said she was.

Her own family history. You should ask her about it. I'm sure there are quite a few people from Japanese families who have extensive record or were told their family history.

Still do. That doesn't change.

Read my first post about it, I said verbatim: "I didn't think it was possible, but there are actually random westerners in her comments trying to explain why she is wrong about her own lineage and retainers."

The idea of it is funny. But you're so laser focused on dunking that you're trying to catch me in an oopsie moment. C'mon, let's keep going.

200.gif
hahahaha aaaaah mate you are so full of shit. You chat out both ends of your mouth.

StueyDuck

And there it is

lebron-james-rejected.gif
i mean you can't even humbly admit that you had a bias from the start.

I'd have respect for you if you'd just own up to it, having conflicting views is fine but your holier than though attitude is as we all see now, a load of BS.

not even a "shit, you know what i didn't check her profile, she might be wrong".

geeez.... well i know now to not really pay much attention to you in these topics.

Stafford

Beyond parody.

Truly a slap in the face to all those who waited over a decade for a Japan AC game. I don't care if the game is the best AC game, I won't be purchasing it, even from the bargain bin. Most of the people I've talked to feel the same way so I hope Ubi isn't hoping to sell a lot of these. Ghost of Tsushima 2 is coming soon enough if I need to scratch that itch.

BREH......

It's fake.

simpatico

This series died when Patrice Desilets left anyway. The last hurrah of the then already dying series was Unity (AC Rogue, AC3 were mid. AC4 was not a good AC game) and nothing else of note has come since.

It's best to not expect anything, so you won't get disappointed. And if, for some magical reason, Ubisoft manage to actually make a good AC game by mistake, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Honestly we would all be fine if AC2 and Brotherhood were the only AC games ever released. Drop ACIV with a different name and take out the future stuff. Both those titles would have higher public sentiments than the lolcow the series has turned into. Twitter is tearing them to shreds. Just read the comments of literally any AC:S tweet.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

The confusion is in the word 'retainer'. I had to look into this originally because my background is 14th and 15th Century England and France, not Japan, and the word 'retainer' has a different meaning in Japanese history.

In Japan, a retainer wasn't a court jester who carried around their lords shit as a lot of people are suggesting. They were important figures from military leaders or people who participated in administrative roles. We know very little of Yasuke life, but according to our Portuguese sources we're told Oda Nobunaga was very fond of him and made him a koshō (Land estate manager). He also was given a short sword and would have had to know how to use it to some degree.
People are just getting confused with the word 'retainer'. Truth is, although Yasuke was probably not a Samurai, he was well loved by his lord, was given a important responsibility and went to fight for his lord when Nobunaga was betrayed.

Honestly, I really don't have an issue with Ubisoft using Yasuke. He was a real figure, but also as this is a fantasy game and so little is known about his life, then why not make him a bad ass Samurai? Works for me.

Gambit2483

I can see why Japanese gamers could be miffed...

Imagine if they created an AC based in Historical Africa, and the MC was portaryed as a Tribal Warrior based on a European guy that historically existed...as a butler. Imagine the outrage from basically everyone.

i mean you can't even humbly admit that you had a bias from the start.

I'd have respect for you if you'd just own up to it, having conflicting views is fine but your holier than though attitude is as we all see now, a load of BS.

not even a "shit, you know what i didn't check her profile, she might be wrong".

geeez.... well i know now to not really pay much attention to you in these topics.
"How do you know that she knows about her family history"

It's not that hard. Google is even easier. Here are some samples:

Moneal

Honestly, I really don't have an issue with Ubisoft using Yasuke. He was a real figure, but also as this is a fantasy game and so little is known about his life, then why not make him a bad ass Samurai? Works for me.
See this is why I actually dislike them using him for the main character. He is the first real historical figure to be a main character in an AC game. Even Naoe isn't real. So why him?

StueyDuck

"How do you know that she knows about her family history"

It's not that hard. Google is even easier. Here are some samples:

prove these are facts? again we want only facts. How does this prove that She knows what Yasuke and retainers were?

Edit: also this goes back less than 100 years. You realise that is a bit different from say over 400 years?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom