• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ok if yosuke can't stealth aswell as the chick, but he must be capable of some stealth, when you clear a camp or even during a mission, sometimes you get discovered but you wanna return to stealth to clear up some more enemies before going tank, or just because i'm in the mood for some stealth or in the mood for some action, i don't wanna constantly switch character.

If it is something like the girl having more stealth gadgets and hiding better between the crowd i'm ok with that, but i need at least the stealth basic functions for yosuke aswell, crouching, hiding into the grass, silent attacks from behind, a bow etc.
We don't know yet if Yosuke will be able to handle multiple enemies at once, but the trailer heavily implies that one wide swing from him can hit (or kill) up to 4 enemies.

Who knows, he might swing huge weapons like Guts.

AnvOI5ZC0JFofyl38SxjOTNuPUxBFRfAF782liUpgt0O2mpFMqs_eFzFDNF2Wb2AiIIIM5W9QdI2PWVSqsHHW5dS8MwAS33iH1e2_KYpjBPJH8BRVDAC7OybxPBBf_-CEv6QWcacdw0QDj3rqjO1laD9WE6Fk1RqWMb_zxjkT_o

GymWolf

Gold Member
I know. I'm saying according to their words, yes, you can do that full camp assault as one character. I was adding context that some story missions might force you to use both considering their relationship in the story.

This is exactly what they're doing as stated.

The answer to this is a soft no. To compare this to an RPG, Yasuke is a tank. Naoe is a thief/assassin. Maybe (and this is a big maybe), you could slowly walk up behind unsuspecting enemies as Yasuke and do a strong/critical hit, Souls-style, but we don't know yet if this is a thing. That's a level of nuance to the gameplay they probably won't get into until they show footage at their Summer Games Fest presentation.

They are saying that most of it you can play with either character, however there will be specific character story quests where you will be locked to one or the other.
Yeah i don't think they are gonna negate yosuke with basic stealth functions like silent kills etc, he is still a fucking assassin ffs :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

They can't force all the people who prefer to play as a man to play a fucking ASSASSINS creed as an action for the whole game.

He is probably gonna be worse at stealth, but still capable of doing it.

And the whole thing of going from stealth to action and viceversa is kinda of a staple of every open world game that has stealth, from horizon to tsushima to far cry to watch dogs (except the last one) to spiderman to mgs5 to bethesda titles to past assassins creed games etc, you always have a protagonist that can do everything, in some you have to spend skills points to make it good at everything, but it is possible.

Last edited:
It's not a movement... its people noticing and criticizing. The fact you think these things are a "movement" kind of tells everyone where your head is at.
I've been against SJW nonsense for over a decade. It is absolutely a movement.

It's best to acknowledge it is a movement, because then you can be on guard for what that means. It means we have lots of influences and content creators now that have a financial interest in making content to keep that movement going, even if it may not exist on the particular day they have to make a video. They are incentivized to make sure it's always something new to be mad about. In that way, it's actually exactly the same as feminism starting off as noticing and criticizing, but then turning into a movement that has to always have something new to complain about to justify it existing. The problem can never truly be solved.

In short, you can be anti-woke but be aware that people make a living off pumping this content out constantly and are prone to exaggeration / misinformation at times.

GymWolf

Gold Member
We don't know yet if Yosuke will be able to handle multiple enemies at once, but the trailer heavily implies that one wide swing from him can hit (or kill) up to 4 enemies.

Who knows, he might swing huge weapons like Guts.

AnvOI5ZC0JFofyl38SxjOTNuPUxBFRfAF782liUpgt0O2mpFMqs_eFzFDNF2Wb2AiIIIM5W9QdI2PWVSqsHHW5dS8MwAS33iH1e2_KYpjBPJH8BRVDAC7OybxPBBf_-CEv6QWcacdw0QDj3rqjO1laD9WE6Fk1RqWMb_zxjkT_o
I'm not talking about multiple enemies, i just want to be able to assassin people from behind, he probably has an assassin blade right?

StueyDuck

It's best to acknowledge it is a movement, because then you can be on guard for what that means. It means we have lots of influences and content creators now that have a financial interest in making content to keep that movement going, even if it may not exist on the particular day they have to make a video. They are incentivized to make sure it's always something new to be mad about. In that way, it's actually exactly the same as feminism starting off as noticing and criticizing, but then turning into a movement that has to always have something new to complain about to justify it existing. The problem can never truly be solved.

In short, you can be anti-woke but be aware that people make a living off pumping this content out constantly and are prone to exaggeration / misinformation at times.
It's really not a movement. Like maybe for 100 people it's a movement.

Most people just see the thing. Notice it because they can think for themselves and have an opinion and moves on.

Sure there's probably people watching baby boy or whatever that fat guy is called. But to say anyone who criticizes something as "being in a movment" is just using very obvious terminology to try paint a group of people a certain way.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So a shitty wikipedia article that doesn't even say that? Where does it say that he was forbidden to fight? Where does it say that he liked to present him at parties and have him do fun stuff?

I also liked the fact that you glossed over that part: Some people in the town thought that Nobunaga might make him as tono ("lord").

Luis Frois also mentions that he reportedly fought Akechi's forces with Nobunaga's people following his betrayal. The article says this:

After his lord committed suicide, he went to Nijō Shin-gosho, the residence of Nobunaga's heir, Nobutada, where he engaged the Akechi forces.[13][16] Luís Fróis's Annual Report on Japan contains the following statements:

A black man whom the visitor [Valignano] sent to Nobunaga went to the house of Nobunaga's son after his death and was fighting for quite a long time, when a vassal of Akechi approached him and said, 'Do not be afraid, give me that sword', so he gave him the sword. The vassal asked Akechi what should be done with the black man, and he said, 'A black slave is an animal (bestial) and knows nothing, nor is he Japanese, so do not kill him, and place him in the custody at the cathedral of Padre in India.

Yasuke was also bought in India by Alessandro Valignano. What would an African man have been doing so far from home? The likeliest explanation is that he was kidnapped from his homeland by slave traders and sold off to become a habshi, a slave soldier, in the region. It's also mentioned that he was tall and very strong and some experts believe he may have been a bodyguard to Nobunaga. This would make sense given the fact that most bodyguards at the time were ex military.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
The japanese think they have it bad. I am an alien and i cant even visit my home country Area 51 without getting shot and killed. Racists.

So a shitty wikipedia article that doesn't even say that? Where does it say that he was forbidden to fight? Where does it say that he liked to present him at parties and have him do fun stuff?

I also liked the fact that you glossed over that part: Some people in the town thought that Nobunaga might make him as tono ("lord").

Luis Frois also mentions that he reportedly fought Akechi's forces with Nobunaga's people following his betrayal. The article says this:

After his lord committed suicide, he went to Nijō Shin-gosho, the residence of Nobunaga's heir, Nobutada, where he engaged the Akechi forces.[13][16] Luís Fróis's Annual Report on Japan contains the following statements:

A black man whom the visitor [Valignano] sent to Nobunaga went to the house of Nobunaga's son after his death and was fighting for quite a long time, when a vassal of Akechi approached him and said, 'Do not be afraid, give me that sword', so he gave him the sword. The vassal asked Akechi what should be done with the black man, and he said, 'A black slave is an animal (bestial) and knows nothing, nor is he Japanese, so do not kill him, and place him in the custody at the cathedral of Padre in India.

Yasuke was also bought in India by Alessandro Valignano. What would an African man have been doing so far from home? The likeliest explanation is that he was kidnapped from his homeland by slave traders and sold off to become a habshi, a slave soldier, in the region. It's also mentioned that he was tall and very strong and some experts believe he may have been a bodyguard to Nobunaga. This would make sense given the fact that most bodyguards at the time were ex military.
I think Nioh recreates the beginning of that house scene, but leaves out the rest. Been a few years.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm not talking about multiple enemies, i just want to be able to assassin people from behind, he probably has an assassin blade right?
I dont think he has a hidden blade....if he does its probably like Origins or Odyssey style.

yep. 'fads' come & go. but! once a number of people take what should be a fad & manipulate it into becoming a reliable revenue stream? what should've been just a fad takes on a whole existence of its own. but that in no way means that you're not still dealing with something that's, in reality, nothing more genuine/authentic than just another silly fad...

It's not a movement... its people noticing and criticizing. The fact you think these things are a "movement" kind of tells everyone where your head is at.
It's a rather vocal group of individuals with the same talking points and ideals, rallying together against announcements, news, videos, etc involving a particular topic. I don't want to play word games here, so you can call that whatever you want to call it. I have eyes.
Just because people are seeing things that you can't doesn't mean they are riled up or astroturfed to do so.
I see them too. I just also see the truths of the matter when they are revealed. Both sides will plug their ears and cover their eyes because they truly and blindly stand for their movement, regardless of being right or wrong on a case by case basis. The fact that people operate in such a manner can lead to people riling up others and astroturfing.
But as always the best rebuttal is why do you feel people can't feel the way they feel?
I don't care what people feel or don't feel. They can do whatever they want. They just have to understand that they will be caught in a lie and make their case worse by doubling down. Again, I've told you and others here before all you have to do is realistically convince me of certain things with actual evidence and I can easily agree. Instead that's not what I see on a regular basis. It's finger pointing and claim-making with very little to no evidence and a hint of linking public profiles to say 'See! They have tattoos and are overweight! they must be on the other side!"

What the hell am I supposed to do with that type of information?
Why can't people call these things out?
I want them to call out the right things. Make. Stronger. Claims. That way when people like myself start doing research, we aren't finding a bunch of holes everywhere. I'm advocating for you to strengthen your position yet you still feel like all I want to do is counter you. No, I am merely calling you out on your info.

If it's bad info, that doesn't make me an 'enemy' it makes you less credible.
I haven't seen you call out anyone who is "pro DEI" and there's a few of them here. People calling other posters racist and nazis, haven't yet seen you call them out for astroturfing or being astroturfed? So practice what you preach
I actually have told a couple of people here to relax or take a break from posting when they start randomly insulting edgy posters and mods. They clearly have let things get under their skin. You can look at my post history to check.

Again, you keep trying to get me in 'see! you don't do this!' but then if you check, I do. I don't know what else you want from me. If you want to claim that I treat the people calling racists and nazis with kid gloves, then yes I guess I do. You know why? Because those edgy posters don't respond the same to 'hey man, take a break or cool off' with the same type of reaction.

You know what they do instead? Double down. Then double down again. Then double down again. And again. That can't be treated with kid gloves. At a certain point, one realizes that they're just dealing with edgier reincarnations of SlimeGooGoo and Fuz, over and over and over, and those guys didn't listen to reason.

Bigotry accusations against 2/3s of the forum is a pretty big statement. Since I’ve seen everyone here calling for the lead to be Japanese, do you think we’re just anti black racists, but cool with Asians? Thats an oddly specific accusation. I’m not even convinced such a racist exists.

How did you reach these conclusions?
It's more the "anti-woke" crowd, that look for anything to trigger outrage online, even when it doesn't apply. And a lot of racists hide behind their racism using the term "woke" instead. "Alan Wake 2 has a black female lead, not cool and super woke". I'm not saying most people in this forum are outright racists, but they want internet points for mentioning things they believe are "woke" when this not an example of that at all.

Last edited:
It's a rather vocal group of individuals with the same talking points and ideals, rallying together against announcements, news, videos, etc involving a particular topic. I don't want to play word games here, so you can call that whatever you want to call it. I have eyes.

I see them too. I just also see the truths of the matter when they are revealed. Both sides will plug their ears and cover their eyes because they truly and blindly stand for their movement, regardless of being right or wrong on a case by case basis. The fact that people operate in such a manner can lead to people riling up others and astroturfing.

I don't care what people feel or don't feel. They can do whatever they want. They just have to understand that they will be caught in a lie and make their case worse by doubling down. Again, I've told you and others here before all you have to do is realistically convince me of certain things with actual evidence and I can easily agree. Instead that's not what I see on a regular basis. It's finger pointing and claim-making with very little to no evidence and a hint of linking public profiles to say 'See! They have tattoos and are overweight! they must be on the other side!"

I want them to call out the right things. Make. Stronger. Claims. That way when people like myself start doing research, we aren't finding a bunch of holes everywhere. I'm advocating for you to strengthen your position yet you still feel like all I want to do is counter you. No, I am merely calling you out on your info.

I actually have told a couple of people here to relax or take a break from posting when they start randomly insulting edgy posters and mods. They clearly have let things get under their skin. You can look at my post history to check.

Again, you keep trying to get me in 'see! you don't do this!' but then if you check, I do. I don't know what else you want from me. If you want to claim that I treat the people calling racists and nazis with kid gloves, then yes I guess I do. You know why? Because those edgy posters don't respond the same to 'hey man, take a break or cool off' with the same type of reaction.

You know what they do instead? Double down. Then double down again. Then double down again. And again. That can't be treated with kid gloves. At a certain point, one realizes that they're just dealing with edgier reincarnations of SlimeGooGoo and Fuz, over and over and over, and those guys didn't listen to reason.
You sure talk a lot for being this "centrist" type of personality. I dont trust you

StueyDuck

Labeling is a fun thing people do when they wanna other certain people... sometimes people do just all happen to have a similar opinion. I'm sure we all have the opinion that murder is bad? Is that now a movement?

no one is wearing T-shirts and going to townhall meetings on ubisoft stinking up their games with DEI. They just notice it and say "well thats obviously bs"

But see you don't take any abject stance on anything, so why even call out anyone on anything.

Why do you get to decide what is the "right thing to call put" if a person feels this is the right thing for them then isn't that totally fine?

I mean that's a rather convenient excuse to not call out the other side of these so called movements.

To me personally an idiot on here calling everyone a nazi is far more egregious than someone criticizing a company because of what they are doing.

But again, I'll wait till I actually physically see this "both sides are bad" cause I've only see one side is bad so far in your books. So we'll see I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it to see if it truly happens.

Arachnid

Eh, fuck em. They get plenty of Japanese representation across gaming. Hell, the can just choose the Japanese option here too.

Like others have pointed out, the black samurai dude existed in history and he's shown up in games before.

Labeling is a fun thing people do when they wanna other certain people... sometimes people do just all happen to have a similar opinion.
I didn't label anyone. I called it a movement.
I'm sure we all have the opinion that murder is bad? Is that now a movement?
In some countries and in the past, yes it has been.
no one is wearing T-shirts and going to townhall meetings on ubisoft stinking up their games with DEI.
It's because, so far, this is a mainly online movement.
But see you don't take any abject stance on anything, so why even call out anyone on anything.
I'm calling out for fact-checking. I don't know how often I need to repeat it, so I feel like you're either playing games or spinning in circles.
Why do you get to decide what is the "right thing to call put"
I don't, the facts do.
if a person feels this is the right thing for them then isn't that totally fine?
If the sky is blue and someone keeps claiming to me that the sky is green and getting more and more riled up about it, they're fine to think that, but you have to understand how that looks from a perception standpoint of me literally looking up and confirming that indeed, the sky is blue.
I mean that's a rather convenient excuse to not call out the other side of these so called movements.
I just told you I did. I don't know if I need to repeat it, so I feel like you're either playing games or spinning in circles.
To me personally an idiot on here calling everyone a nazi is far more egregious than someone criticizing a company because of what they are doing.
I'm not going to buy into this. It's a classic tactic of 'my side looks innocent but they're being the meaner ones'. No, both sides have had their share of garbage that they've conveniently swept under the rug. It's disingenuous to pretend otherwise.
But again, I'll wait till I actually physically see this "both sides are bad" cause I've only see one side is bad so far in your books. So we'll see I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it to see if it truly happens.
Finally, a fair statement. I'll take it... (By the way I made a post in the thread about that one game dev lead saying she wouldn't hire white people for BS reasons, even saying how bad it was, but I guess that doesn't count as physical proof for some reason).

Moneal

I dont think he has a hidden blade....if he does its probably like Origins or Odyssey style.
They said in one of the videos that only Naoe will have a hidden blade.

Had to find it. Its at about 2 mins 50 seconds in on this video.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This place needs a debate forum. A place where two users can just go at it, then at the end other GAF members can vote on who was the winner. It would be a lot more constructive and fun. Maybe the winner can get a tag or a month of GAF gold.

Toons

1. This is a nothingburger if I ever saw one

2. Peopel of all backgrounds have been appropriating ninjas for ages. Whites, blacks, Latinos and everything in between have become ninjas in various forms of media. I dont care because ninjas are cool.

3. The Japanese being upset about this doesn't surprise me at all given their general perception towards people of African descent is.... questionable a lot of the time.

4. I find the argument that only Japanese can make games taking place in Japan with non japan originating individuals to be as ridiculous as saying Japan can't make media depicting Japanese people in European spaces. And they have many times.

Thats pretty much my thoughts on it. We all knew the reaction this was gonna get. It'll pass.

ManaByte

Gold Member
4. I find the argument that only Japanese can make games taking place in Japan with non japan originating individuals to be as ridiculous as saying Japan can't make media depicting Japanese people in European spaces. And they have many times
A game developer in Seattle made a game set in Japan that was loved and embraced by Japan and the developers made ambassadors of the island it was set on. So that’s bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom