• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This is like, the first AAA game I can think of with a black male lead since fucking San Andreas.

It's clearly not (Deathloop is another that springs to mind) but I get your point. There have not been many games with a black protagonist. Even fewer native American, South Asian, Middle Eastern etc. It's mostly a white affair, which is really odd when white people are a global minority.

I'd like to see more representation, as long as it makes sense in the setting. For example, I've always wanted an RPG that leaves the medieval European fantasy troupe and is set in a mythical version of South America or Western Africa. That's diversity. Telling stories based in the history, culture and traditions of other parts of the world rather than just Europe. Even with games set in a modern real world setting, I want to see some more diversity. How many AAA games can you name that have a Native American or South Asian lead?

Yes AC is fiction based on reality... completely differente from fighting demons in a anime type of world...there is no need to be disingenuous to try and prove a fallen point. Try harder
The reality of a precursor society that left behind super high tech artifacts like the apple of Eden. You literally have a hi tech Atlantis, healing rods, the Sphinx,
mGr8RZAb9gTST2MsLpoxcM-1200-80.jpg.webp
Cyclops
Zqf8RfhmEUMHtbmWTLCYhH-1920-80.jpg.webp
, Medusa,
assassins-creed-odyssey-medusa.jpg
and super humans in the game. Where have you been? And it's portrayal of the Assassins and Templars is FAR from accurate. Stop playing yourself.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The tag would be:

The Master-Debater

loooool yes! That's an amazing idea, although the loser would also need a tag. That's what this place needs. A place where two users can thrash it out in a debate then we, the GAF hivemind, decide who is the victor.

Perrott

This is the same Ubisoft that made a Prince of Persia game that also starred a black man, because didn't you know there were so many black people in ancient Persia LMAO
But, weren't black (or somewhat black) people the majority in ancient Persia though? After all, wasn't it an empire that operated out of Middle-East territories for the most part?

It's clearly not (Deathloop is another that springs to mind) but I get your point. There have not been many games with a black protagonist. Even fewer native American, South Asian, Middle Eastern etc. It's mostly a white affair, which is really odd when white people are a global minority.

I'd like to see more representation, as long as it makes sense in the setting. For example, I've always wanted an RPG that leaves the medieval European fantasy troupe and is set in a mythical version of South America or Western Africa. That's diversity. Telling stories based in the history, culture and traditions of other parts of the world rather than just Europe. Even with games set in a modern real world setting, I want to see some more diversity. How many AAA games can you name that have a Native American or South Asian lead?
You have Tales of Kenzera, created by the guy who voiced Bayek in AC: Origins, but apparently no one is buying it. Oh well...

Braag

But, weren't black (or somewhat black) people the majority in ancient Persia though? After all, wasn't it an empire that operated out of Middle-East territories for the most part?
There undoubtedly were black people in the Persian Empire, but I doubt the core Persians were black. After all, Iran is modern day Persia and the people there are far from black.
My Iranian colleague was a little annoyed by the black Prince of Persia protagonist and said "After seeing what they did to Egypt and Cleopatra, it seems like even we aren't safe from being turned black in the media".

LMAO wut

Modern Iranians look like what ancient Persians looked like

Recent population genomic studies found that the genetic structure of Iranian peoples formed already about 5,000 years ago and show high continuity since then, suggesting that they were largely unaffected by migration events from outside groups. Genetically speaking, Iranian peoples generally cluster closely with European and other Middle Eastern peoples. Analyzed samples of Iranian Persians, Kurds, Azeris, Lurs, Mazanderanis, Gilaks and Arabs cluster tightly together, forming a single cluster known as the CIC (Central Iranian cluster). Compared with worldwide populations, Iranians (CIC) cluster in the center of the wider West-Eurasian cluster, close to Europeans, Middle Easterners, and South-Central Asians. Iranian Arabs and Azeris genetically overlap with Iranian peoples. The genetic substructure of Iranians is low and homogeneous, compared with other "1000G" populations. Europeans, and certain South Asians (specifically the Parsi minority) showed the highest affinity with Iranians, while Sub-Saharan Africans and East Asians showed the highest differentiation with Iranians.[133]

Before you ask, modern Egyptians are also genetically basically identical with ancient ones

Persians were never black and neither were Egyptians

Cleopatra wasn't black either, she was Ptolemaic Greek

Last edited:

Drell

That is some serious revitionist shit right there.

You cant honestly believe Capcom....yes that Capcom rework Resident Evil 5 to include Sheva after the initial outrage and made it in time for release?
I didn't talk abnout Sheva. I was talking about them including more diverse population because it was racist to shoot only black zombies in black africa...

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yasuke is a very interesting choice as protagonist, but he's a bad choice as a member of the Assassin's Creed,

Naoe makes sense as a Shinobi, she's a common villager and most people wouldn't think of her as an assassin let alone as a capable fighter. Connor from AC3 was a Native America, he could still blend in but he still had problems with being noticed.

Meanwhile Yasuke was the only Black Person in the entirety of Japan in Edo period, he's like the worst possible choice of an assassin you could ever pick, as soon as the portuguese came with him to Osaka the entire city found out about him in the span of a couple days, that's how Nobunaga hired him. He has the same energy as a chinese dinasty warrior in ancient Rome, you would be unable to walk around unoticed.

I mean, a whole point in Ghost of Tsushima was Jin hiding his identity so he could remain unnoticed as The Ghost.

Last edited:

Toons

A game developer in Seattle made a game set in Japan that was loved and embraced by Japan and the developers made ambassadors of the island it was set on. So that’s bullshit.

Did it feature non Japanese protagonists? If so, fine by me. Im glad Japan embraced it, I just wish they'd keep the same energy here.

Especially with japan, and larger asia in general have no problem inserting themselves into other cultural spaces:

dftVJrC.jpeg
Biehc5e.jpeg
Qxy4nKd.jpeg

I dont see this as cultural appropriation, I see it as cultural appreciation. This offers unique perspectives on old things and new ways of telling stories and engaging with different people.

Even the newest street fighter game made in Japan takes HEAVY heavy cues from African American culture, displaying grafiti and playing hip hop music in the background.

Last edited:
I don't get why they make it a samurai... I mean Yasuke have NEVER been a samurai...

And Japanese people must feel "ok we waited 20 years for an AC game in Japan and they make the hero... An African man ?".

I've nothing against a black protagonist, but in that situation it seems dumb. I tried to talk about it on X but I've been called a racist (even though my wife and daughter are black... anyway).
I feel you this, I understand the Japanese not getting a male protagonist. It seems like the West loves crapping on Asian men. However, Yasuke being portrayed as a "samurai warrior" is something even the Japanese media has done.

Mortisfacio

Banned
Yeah, having issues with black characters in games set in Japan but not white characters in games set in Japan is definitely racism.

Is there a white character in Japan in this game that we know of? I don't see one, and would equally be upset, but if not then I'm not sure why the whataboutism is brought up.

PsyEd

Well if the game comes with a year worth soylent...it's prolly be playable then and acceptable to see it disappear from the game list in a year or two.

who gives a f with the same 10 accounts everyone keeps posting think.

Ubisoft didn’t know? there’s a ban on making a video game about this interesting historical character. What will the Japanese do? But play the 30 year + of Japanese developed games about non-black Japanese characters, the horror.

What will Ubisoft do,10 japanese twitter accounts are upset, such a lost from such a large market that is the Japanese gaming market. clowns everywhere.

Yasuke is a very interesting choice as protagonist, but he's a bad choice as a member of the Assassin's Creed,

Naoe makes sense as a Shinobi, she's a common villager and most people wouldn't think of her as an assassin let alone as a capable fighter. Chronor from AC3 was a Native America, but he could still blend in but he still had problems with being noticed.

Meanwhile Yasuke was the only Black Person in the entirety of Japan in Edo period, he's like the worst possible choice of an assassin you could ever pick, as soon as the portuguese came with him to Osaka the entire city found out about him in the span of a couple days, that's how Nobunaga hired him. He has the same energy as a chinese dinasty warrior in ancient Rome, you would be unable to walk around unoticed.

I mean, a whole point in Ghost of Tsushima was Jin hiding his identity so he could remain unnoticed as The Ghost.
Ah, for once, a critique of the character based on a rational look at gameplay rather "anti-woke" outrage. I agree with you, I don't think Yasuke should have been the protagonist, but not because he's black, but because he isn't Japanese. I think he would have made a cool NPC with which to interact but the character should be Japanese. Given prior AC games, that would only be fair.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ah, for once, a critique of the character based on a rational look at gameplay rather "anti-woke" outrage. I agree with you, I don't think Yasuke should have been the protagonist, but not because he's black, but because he isn't Japanese. I think he would have made a cool NPC with which to interact but the character should be Japanese. Given prior AC games, that would only be fair.

Different people being thrown into different cultures always makes for a fascinating story, just go watch your average Isekai. But when you do this improperly the story just sucks, and it seems to be the case with Shadows. In my opinion Ubisoft only choose Yasuke because he's black and was a real person.

Senhua

I cannot wait for ending which Yasuke is the Japanese god reincarnation all along with his long lost love life noue ushered the new era of Japan with his became the first Black Japanese emperor in history.

BANZAI BANZAI BANZAI YASUKE the DAIKOKUTEN

440px-Descriptive_catalogue_of_the_collection_of_Buddhist_art_in_the_United_States_National_museum_%281921%29_%2820863366652%29.jpg

Here's how popular media in Japan depicts history:
bWrWYcQ.jpeg
IaUD7Wm.jpeg
7vGoaFq.jpeg

YnIOcN2.png

Last character is a dude btw
Honestly, the Fate version of human history is way cooler than the real one. In real human history, Kratos just kills all the Greek gods, the End. I mean wait

Also I learned more about history from Fate than I ever did in school, this is a damning indictment of the Murrican educational system 😂

Last edited:

Toons

Honestly, the Fate version of human history is way cooler than the real one. In real human history, Kratos just kills all the Greek gods, the End. I mean wait

Also I learned more about history from Fate than I ever did in school, this is a damning indictment of the Murrican educational system 😂

Your mistake was relying on the school system when we have the internet.

Theres so much important history of our own country try that our school a timely hide from us as children its not even funny

And im sure this games Yusuke will also be way cooler than the trailer Yusuke was as well. Coolness >>> accuracy

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I will just leave this here

if they do it right, It can be fucking cool. I dont care if the man is black or pink or white. Just dont do it TOO SERIOUSLY

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This just sucks. Black culture appropriating Japanese culture written by white race grifters. I want no part in this even though I suspect this ge will sell very well despite (or because of) the controversy. Pease out.
zipKcFe.gif

From what I can see the nioh protagonist was actually based off a real white samurai.

And Yasuke is made up?

Boss Mog

aslo gay, you can't make this shit up

SFyJ625.jpeg
Beyond parody.

Truly a slap in the face to all those who waited over a decade for a Japan AC game. I don't care if the game is the best AC game, I won't be purchasing it, even from the bargain bin. Most of the people I've talked to feel the same way so I hope Ubi isn't hoping to sell a lot of these. Ghost of Tsushima 2 is coming soon enough if I need to scratch that itch.

simpatico

It's more the "anti-woke" crowd, that look for anything to trigger outrage online, even when it doesn't apply. And a lot of racists hide behind their racism using the term "woke" instead. "Alan Wake 2 has a black female lead, not cool and super woke". I'm not saying most people in this forum are outright racists, but they want internet points for mentioning things they believe are "woke" when this not an example of that at all.
We found out that Remedy did hire consultants to work on Alan Wake 2. On an enthusiast gaming forum, why is it unusual that hobbyists are upset that people with no interest in the art form are having so much of an influence on it?

RAIDEN1

This is what on a similar level you would never get a Rockstar making a game like Red Dead Redemption from a native american perspective, for a change, I mean how often has that community been represented, the original Prey had something going there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom