• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This company needs to be burned along with everyone in it.

It’s really the best outcome for gamers . Get rid of a cancer in gaming.

Everyone in it?
Alot of their tech team is actually really good and dont even know what their tech is going to be used for let alone that someone wants to burn them alive because some game director/writer decided to use Yasuke as a deuteragonist with an Asian counterpart in an Assassins Creed game.

You might need to step away from gaming for a while if a company you clearly care little for, makes a game in a series you care little for, yet it still elicits this kind of a reaction.

Ubi really is the Netflix of gaming isn't it?

Hory sheet!

hqdefault.jpg

I fail to see the difference. Why is a Japanese company catering to European-Americans anyway? There are Asian-Americans of various types and very few games created by Asian developers in the same vain as white looking or white characters. I think Jill Valentine is part Asian/white and the Dino Crisis chick.

Also,the game is using Japan asa backdrop for a fancy setting. Something similar to happened in Halo which takes in parts of Africa.
Let's flip this around. Japanese developers are willing to put a white man as a protagonist front and centre but Ubisoft aka (the company hast all thy cultures and backgrounds) is unable to do the opposite for an asian man but are more than happy to represent every other Assassin based in their homeland.

You know, I would give this a pass had Basim become the main character in Vallhalla instead of that garbage, overpriced side game. It would've set the stage for the change in formula.

Last edited:
Everyone in it?
Alot of their tech team is actually really good and dont even know what their tech is going to be used for let alone that someone wants to burn them alive because some game director/writer decided to use Yasuke as a deuteragonist with an Asian counterpart in an Assassins Creed game.

You might need to step away from gaming for a while if a company you clearly care little for, makes a game in a series you care little for, yet it still elicits this kind of a reaction.

hqdefault.jpg

monty python wink GIF

Drell

I remember when Resident Evil 5 was announced and some black woman was complaining about the fact the game was about a white dude killing black people, which were actual zombies, while the setup took place in africa. They immediatly added a black character... I think Japanese should have the right to complain that this time it's about a black character killing japanese... But I guess asian people are less marginalized in the eyes of DEI people so nothing will be done, black people are always the victims...

There is a japanese lead protagonist in Shadows. But everyone is ignoring her for some reason.
Because Asian women in media clearly is mired in positive representation. Dare I say make her the front cover without Yasuke? Or is that too much for "representation". And exactly how much of a "lead" is she in a game that will play both ends in a Samurai based era.. hmmm.. I wonder based on Ubisofts passed offerings from Medjay, Spartans a Viking..

But yes, clearly Naoe will be the center stage as the "lead".

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yasuke isnt fictional.
Naoe is Japanese.

Edward was Welsh
Shay was Irish
Ezio was Italian (AC:R happens in Turkey)

Black Flag was designed around pirates, many of whom were of various nationalities and creeds during the golden age of pirates.

Rogue was designed around playing as an Irish American during the seven years war in and around America. This is still faithful to that era.

ACR is a direct sequel to brotherhood and ac2 where Ezio travels to the old stomping grounds for the brotherhood.

If you are going to try to play gacha, at least learn the history, setting, and drop the gaslighting nonsense.

Last edited:

Senhua

Didn't know Assassin Creed had such a passionate fanbase. Color me surprised.
For me, I'm asian and this is the first mainline AC with Asian settings.
I usually don't bother with the series as western history make me bored.
I only play up to 2 and even do not finish brotherhood. I play Origins until halfway though.

Last edited:

Fbh

Eh, the whole cherry picked screenshots of a handful of angry people on Twitter argument doesn't suddenly become valid because you agree with their point.
I don't really see the big issue. He is based on a real person and it helps set the game apart a bit. If you want a Samurai themed game with a Japanese male character it's not like there is a shortage, specially in recent years, we just had one come out a few weeks ago and it's very likely that Sony/Sucker Punch is working on another one right now.

I don't see how this is different to Nioh or The Last Samurai, both of which I enjoyed.

The only annoying part is the usual hypocrisy from both sides of the argument.

Doom85

That first tweet sounds as fucking stupid as anyone complaining about Chris in Resident Evil 5.

The MC is killing Japanese enemies because he’s in JAPAN, what, are only Japanese characters allowed to kill Japanese characters now? Must have missed that memo. Just like Chris isn’t racist for killing African zombies because he’s in, brace yourself, Africa!

And just like those dumbasses apparently weren’t aware Sheva existed, these new dumbasses are unaware the game has a co-lead who is a Japanese woman.

And anyone who tries to play the historical accuracy angle, bitch please, AC hasn’t been accurate with all this stuff for a LONG time.

Also, the title is a bit sus. We really generalizing ALL OF JAPAN with three measly tweets?

Bruh.

DelireMan7

Because Asian women in media clearly is mired in positive representation. Dare I say make her the front cover without Yasuke? Or is that too much for "representation". And exactly how much of a "lead" is she in a game that will play both ends in a Samurai based era.. hmmm.. I wonder based on Ubisofts passed offerings from Medjay, Spartans a Viking..

But yes, clearly Naoe will be the center stage as the "lead".
Honestly I don't enter "representation" topic because it's just a game and people are going crazy about everything.
People claims "No japanese main character" and me I see the trailer revolving around the Japanese female character... I am a bit confused.

The way see it is that Naoe is a japanese protagonist playing as an assassin. Basically what we want to play Assassin's Creed game. So she's kind of at the center game.
After they announced a dual protagonist, let's see how the repartition is done. I haven't play an AC since Black Flag so I don't know how they handle Dual Protagonist or combat.

Black_Stride

I remember when Resident Evil 5 was announced and some black woman was complaining about the fact the game was about a white dude killing black people, which were actual zombies, while the setup took place in africa. They immediatly added a black character...

That is some serious revitionist shit right there.

You cant honestly believe Capcom....yes that Capcom rework Resident Evil 5 to include Sheva after the initial outrage and made it in time for release?

Didn't know Assassin Creed had such a passionate fanbase. Color me surprised.

On GAF.......this is news to me too.
I was sure Ubisoft and everything they made were universally hate.....but it seems people care about the story enough to research the characters being used in them.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
This is like, the first AAA game I can think of with a black male lead since fucking San Andreas.
Yeah and I don’t have a problem with that, need to see more of how this story unfolds before making blanked statements. I’ts a video game not a documentary. I’ve played female characters, Asians, space marines, violent killers, and Springfield residents in games I’m ok with a black man.

Let’s hold the pitch forks and fire till we get more details ok?

lefty1117

Gold Member
I don't get it, doesn't Ubi always have that text that the game was made by a varied team of cultures and beliefs etc ... did they not have any japanese historians on the multicultural team?

Black_Stride

Black Flag was designed around pirates, many of whom were of various nationalities and creeds during the golden age of pirates.

Rogue was designed around playing as an Irish American during the seven years war in and around America. This is still faithful to that era.

ACR is a direct sequel to brotherhood and ac2 where Ezio travels to the old stomping grounds for the brotherhood.

If you are going to try to play gacha, at least learn the history, setting, and drop the gaslighting nonsense.

You said they were all locals......they werent.
Thats what I was pointing out.

Your justification for Black Flag and Rogue could easily be the same justifications for ACS.

Shadows is based around Yasuke and Naoe in Japan.
Yasuke is Black....historically in Japan.
Naoe is Japanese....fictionally in Japan.

Nobody is gaslighting you.
You stated they were locals, we can both read your post together and youll see it is in fact you attempting to gaslight me into thinking you didnt outright say all the previous games had protagonists who were locals.
Funny you further tell me to learn the history.
Lol.

//DEVIL//

Everyone in it?

hqdefault.jpg

Of course I do not mean it literally but….

Honestly ubshit been my most hated company for a while now, and somehow they keep getting worse. They are the prime leading example of woke / political correctness/ anti consumer and flat out shit.

When a company is like this, not a single fuck or tear is given and honestly they all can go to hell.

If devs were not happy they would have given the finger the management and left. But since they are sticking there , then they are part of the problem and approve of the crap they keep on pulling

So from my heart, they can all fuck off into a shit hole and get locked there forever.

Last edited:
Made in Japan by Japanese people who just thought a black samurai would be sick.

Shadows is made in the west by westerners who haven’t done their due diligence.
What does it matter? Is AC big in Japan? How much manga, anime and Japanese games that is NOT set Japan. Btw, Japan appropriates a lot of black culture and in a very distorted way. They even have a while subculture of people running around in tans and afros.

rofif

Banned
Black samurai is very cool because it reminds me of thundercat song.
But does it have to be realistic? it's a game.... yet it tries to be kinds historical.

Senhua

Yeah and I don’t have a problem with that, need to see more of how this story unfolds before making blanked statements. I’ts a video game not a documentary. I’ve played female characters, Asians, space marines, violent killers, and Springfield residents in games I’m ok with a black man.

Let’s hold the pitch forks and fire till we get more details ok?

And anyone who tries to play the historical accuracy angle, bitch please, AC hasn’t been accurate with all this stuff for a LONG time.
I agree with your point generally. So why not make Yasuke drive a porsche and using a gunblade while at it?
On the context: it's like to change Odin with Zeus in AC Valhalla
I assume western AAA developer games always like to make realistic games especially AC series which always retaining a degree of fidelity to historical events.

Guess I wrong then. If needed, even western AAA historical game can be as fan servicey as East Asians one.
Anyway this is just my personal opinion. So well if you like, why not? enjoy the game.

Last edited:
Made in Japan by Japanese people who just thought a black samurai would be sick.

Shadows is made in the west by westerners who haven’t done their due diligence.
What's your point? AC is a game made by Westerners. The Japanese can make games about black people set in Japan but Westerners can't? Does that mean the Japanese can't make games about the West?

Solidus_T

IRL Yasuke was so close to Nobunaga that he was practically his right-hand man. People concerned about a black samurai are ignorant. There are potential issues in how he could be depicted in the story with respect to his actual role, however

Black_Stride

Of course I do not mean it literally but….

Honestly ubshit been my most hated company for a while now, and somehow they keep getting worse. They are the prime leading example of woke / political correctness/ anti consumer and flat out shit.

When a company is like this, not a single fuck or tear is given and honestly they all can go to hell.

If devs were not happy they would have given the finger the management and left. But since they are sticking there , then they are part of the problem and approve of the crap they keep on pulling

So from my heart, they can all fuck off into a shit hole and get locked there forever.

Ubisoft LaForge doesnt even interact with design leads or any actual game development.
They just develop technologies......what happens to those technologies isnt really their concern.
They might not even know they are in the credits for a game cuz they are legit scientists and just keep moving forward.....but lets kill them too right?

But anyway.
You really need to get some fresh air.
Your hobby shouldnt be causing you this much mental anguish.
Ubisoft isnt that important in your life to wish harm on another person simply because they work for Ubisoft.
Its legit worrying to think theres people out there who think like you.

I agree with your point generally. So why not make Yasuke drive a porsche and using a gunblade while at it?
On the context: it's like to change Odin with Zeus in AC Valhalla
I assume western AAA developer games always like to make realistic games especially AC series which always retaining a degree of fidelity to historical events.

Guess I wrong then. If needed, even western AAA developer can be as fan servicey as East Asians one.
Anyway this is just my personal opinion. So well if you like, why not? enjoy the game.
People have been asking for a Japanese set AC game, and we get it finally, but only if it could be about an African person.

Anyway, when you think about it, this should ease the racism concerns for the remake of RE5. So it's not all bad.
The protagonist is Japanese. Btw, how many of you would be complaining if he was white?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I wonder what they thought about Afro Samurai.

I have huge respect for Japanese culture so I take their disdain to heart honestly. I didn't even stop to think how this could be offensive.

Last edited:
It is kind of weird they didn’t make the main character of a game set in Japan…. Japanese.
Yasuke is cool for sure, but this kind of smells like it had an agenda. Not that I’ll ever pay full price for this game lol, when it hits $15 or so, like all AC games, I’ll consider it. I did like Yasuke in Smaurai Warriors 5 though, that was nice addition. So it’s not like he’s terrible. But these days I feel like you have to second guess every decision companies make because people are scared of woke freaks. It adds this layer and quality of a disingenuous nature to the whole project. Because we will never be 100% sure what their motives are. Genuine creative decision, or woke pandering?

Now where’s Ghost of Tsushima 2 ?

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is actual cultural insensitivity by Ubisoft.

I wouldn’t buy any game doing something like this, regardless of overall quality.

I cannot support this whitewashing of history, and the constant attempt by Western institutions to destroy and villainise homogenous, safe and traditional societies.

If anyone quotes me to tell me that actually there was one single black Samurai: please go and fuck off.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But I guess if I had been waiting a decade for a Japan setting to be a Japanese Samurai I I can understand being a bit disappointed.

It's just hard to take the arguments in good faith. It feels like people are much more angry about the black guy than they are about the lack of of a Japanese guy. Especially when there is a Japanese protagonist.

The 'Black guy slaughtering hundreds of Japanese people' point. I can't touch that one. Maybe it's very valid, maybe it's a video game and it doesn't matter. I'll respect whatever side of that argument people choose.

At the end of the day if the game looks good and interesting I may buy it, if not, I'll very easily ignore it. All this stuff really won't factor into my decision at all.

It is kind of weird they didn’t make the main character of a game set in Japan…. Japanese.
Yasuke is cool for sure, but this kind of smells like it had an agenda. Not that I’ll ever pay full price for this game lol, when it hits $15 or so, like all AC games, I’ll consider it. I did like Yasuke in Smaurai Warriors 5 though, that was nice addition. So it’s not like he’s terrible. But these days I feel like you have to second guess every decision companies make because people are scared of woke freaks. It adds this layer and quality of a disingenuous nature to the whole project. Because we will never be 100% sure what their motives are. Genuine creative decision, or woke pandering?

Now where’s Ghost of Tsushima 2 ?
I actually agree, the male protagonist should have Japanese. But the negative response to Yasuke is rooted in racism as no one had an issue with Nioh.

Honestly this doesn't really matter. The game's not going to do well in Japan, regardless, based on series sales in that region. And it's also in no way made to cater to the Japanese console audience. The game is made to sell well in Europe and particularly North America.

Last edited:
When RE5 came out so many people lost their shit due to a black woman and a white man teaming up to kill black people/zombies, they even updated the game to add white enemies ffs.
But now when the same argument gets turned against a black man teaming up with an asian woman to kill asians, it's suddenly racist to complain about it... these culture wars suck so goddamn much

1554501686758.jpg
RE5 was also like 15 years ago and people pushed hard against the accusations.

Senhua

IRL Yasuke was so close to Nobunaga that he was practically his right-hand man. People concerned about a black samurai are ignorant. There are potential issues in how he could be depicted in the story with respect to his actual role, however
I'm not Japanese expert, very very far from it.
Even I know one of the most trusted and closed Oda retainer is Mori Ranmaru.

killatopak

Gold Member
The 'Black guy slaughtering hundreds of Japanese people' point. I can't touch that one. Maybe it's very valid, maybe it's a video game and it doesn't matter. I'll respect whatever side of that argument people choose.

It’s actually fine. It’s just that you best believe I would raise a storm if the opposite happened and people go up in arms about it. AKA RE5 outrage. Which is personal for me cause I’m a huge RE fan.

I better not hear a single peep about Chris killing zombies in Africa. Just a reminder, it’s probably next in line in the remakes since we just had 4.

Solidus_T

I'm not Japanese expert, very very far from it.
Even I know one of the most trusted and closed Oda retainer is Mori Ranmaru.
Same - I just know that he personally favored Yasuke - so much that depictions of Nobunaga typically have Yasuke somewhere in his crew

Black_Stride

Gotta love the edit warring at Wikipedia. History, serious business.

OeNZPIn.png

Hahaha oh my god.
Theyve actually locked it.

Ubisoft is breaking last years earnings easy work.
I was thinking maybe 8 million units, but now im thinking these guys are pulling 10 million.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Ubisoft LaForge doesnt even interact with design leads or any actual game development.
They just develop technologies......what happens to those technologies isnt really their concern.
They might not even know they are in the credits for a game cuz they are legit scientists and just keep moving forward.....but lets kill them too right?

But anyway.
You really need to get some fresh air.
Your hobby shouldnt be causing you this much mental anguish.
Ubisoft isnt that important in your life to wish harm on another person simply because they work for Ubisoft.
It’s legit worrying to think theres people out there who think like you.
Thanks for the concern. But honestly I am not even that bothered lol.

Just said what is in my mind regarding this shithole.
Being a 42 and have a family with 2 kids, I barely have time to play, let alone get concerned about stupid companies lol.

Last edited:
All of the racists are out in full force.

Look, I'm usually the first to call bullshit when diversity nonsense enters gaming (Spider-Man 2), but this isn't that.

Yasuke's a real person. AC/Ubisoft has NEVER been historically accurate anyway, so why are we expecting them to be now?

Oh right, because there is a black man in a game.

If it was Nathan Drake gunning them all down, nobody would bat an eyelid 🤣

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This is the dumbest post in the thread.

Mafia 3
Watch Dogs 2
GTAV
Assassins Creed Origins
Deathloop
Halo 5
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Spider-Man 2

Want me to keep going?
these games skipped my mind. But wow. a whopping 8. Some of which are over a decade old. And some of which you split screen time with other characters of other races.

And I like how you ignored the entire rest of my post.

Debate the rest of it

play the game or don’t. What a soft society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom