• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojji

aslo gay, you can't make this shit up

SFyJ625.jpeg

I bet "he" will tell his pronouns to every NPC.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Pissing off the majority of Japanese players in a game about their own culture? Only Ubi can pull this off.

Then again, considering who the lead writer is, I'm not surprised:

And even with all this bullshit, the purple forum is still complaining:

5GFWsMu.png

A daily reminder that these people will never be happy, no matter what. Stop catering to the mentally ill.
wow just wow forcing kass tp be straight still haunts wtf get some help.

I can't decide if we're in the best or worst timeline..

Obviously all this agenda driven shit is awful on every level, detrimental to art and creativity, but, it brings such good content and funny drama, that's better than the shitty products these companies fart out :unsure:

It seems it is purely in itself made for entertainment.
What's the agenda? And how is it killing art and creativity?

SenkiDala

I don't get why they make it a samurai... I mean Yasuke have NEVER been a samurai...

And Japanese people must feel "ok we waited 20 years for an AC game in Japan and they make the hero... An African man ?".

I've nothing against a black protagonist, but in that situation it seems dumb. I tried to talk about it on X but I've been called a racist (even though my wife and daughter are black... anyway).

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Did they confirmed if yusuke is the fighting guy and the chick is the stealth character?

I hope they can do both things without much difference because going from stealth to combat to stealth again is something that happen in ac games and i don't wanna be limited to only one playstyle per character, i want the flexibility to do both.

How does the double character work? Do you chose at the beginning like odissey or you use one or the other depend on the mission or a gta5 switch?

No dude i'm talking about normal gameplay outside of story missions, if i assault a camp i wanna be able to do what i did in the past games without switching a character.

It would be moronic to limit only one gameplay style to one character, what if i don't wanna use the chick but i still wanna do some stealth? can i only play the entire game as an action game with yusuke? Fuck that.

The Samurai is gonna play like a Samurai. (mid/late game Odyssey)
The Shinobi is gonna play like a Shinobi. (closer to the classic games)

You cant use Naoe as a tank likewise you cant use Yosuke as a nimble ninja.

You can swap characters even mid mission if you want outside of the locked story missions.
Naoe can fight obviously but her fighting style isnt going to be the same as Yusukes.

I take it what you are worried about is, for when stealth fails you want to be able to quickly revert to the tank class and just beat everyone up?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't get why they make it a samurai... I mean Yasuke have NEVER been a samurai...

And Japanese people must feel "ok we waited 20 years for an AC game in Japan and they make the hero... An African man ?".

I've nothing against a black protagonist, but in that situation it seems dumb. I tried to talk about it on X but I've been called a racist (even though my wife and daughter are black... anyway).

It’s all the same extremist ideologues, mate. They will call anyone racist if you dare speak out against obvious BS. They will gaslight, move goalposts, and remain purposefully ignorant because they don’t want to engage faithfully, they just want to feel morally superior despite appearing the dumbest in the room.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
this is surely fake right?

Looks to be fake. Nothing on IGN twitter about this, which is why this is an image instead of a link.

There is, however, a post about "The historically accurate" Yasuke and why people should understand the importance, while trying to use revisionist history to explain it (for example, they claim Yasuke was a Samurai, however he was a retainer).

To be fair, I don't think game would have been a hit in Japan anyway because Japanese players have some decency and don't play Ubislop.

Black_Stride

SFyJ625.jpeg

Looks to be fake. Nothing on IGN twitter about this, which is why this is an image instead of a link.

Thats not what the twitter tick looks like anymore for official organizations.
Whichever generator you used for that needs to be updated.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
pac man GIF

I fucking miss these days.
Millions of people getting triggered over a fucking video game

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes AC is fiction based on reality... completely differente from fighting demons in a anime type of world...there is no need to be disingenuous to try and prove a fallen point. Try harder

Bernardougf Bernardougf has a point. I fought a Mudusa in Assassin's Creed. The series has a ton of fantasy and sci-fi elements. The historical stuff is also so outlandish that it might as well be fantasy like Nioh.

However, does it matter if it is fantasy? If a developer was making a game set in a fantasy West Africa, would it be okay to make the protagonist white? It would be fantasy after all. Serious question as well .

SFyJ625.jpeg

You absolutely can make it up because that's a fake tweet.

Black_Stride

To be fair, I don't think game would have been a hit in Japan anyway because Japanese players have some decency and don't play Ubislop.

True.

If people are really outraged they can just keep playing Rise of the Ronin anyway.

And you can choose to play two hot chicks in Rise of the Ronin so no need to look at Yasuke.
GJT0LK1a4AAoSZb

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Instead of give us a beautiful AC set in Sub-Sharan Africa made with people from there (or mostly since sadly I don't know a lot of studios there) for full accuracy and immersion for once, this is what we get: a black samouraï in Japan.

Totally accurate.
Schitts Creek Sleeping GIF by CBC

Last edited:
An Assassins Creed game bombing?
Especially part of the RPG-era.......not a chance.
Even the stand-alone expansion of Valhalla did like 5 million units.
This game is doing 10 easy work.....at the prices they are charging for all the extra extra editions and what-not a billion in revenue doesnt even seem out of reach.

How so?
What makes the game seem like a mixture of different countries.....care to point them out in the trailer cuz we have seen so little gameplay im shocked youve managed to gauge so much of the games authenticity from the CGI trailer.

Your 15 years living in Japan or studying Japanese history?
During this period in Japans history is exactly when a lot of ships would be arriving from the west, so port cities would actually have quite a number of foreigners.

And you are assuming they didnt hire any consultants on this title?

There is so little information about Yasuke stating such as fact is just as bad if not worse.
Even WIlliam himself its not recorded that he was some badass ass Samurai......but creative license and all that jazz.....we can allow it.
But Yasuke whose final title we dont know........he definitely cant be called a Samurai.

Yasuke was a retainer for Nobunaga and was allowed to hold his swords as an assistant. He did never fight, and was not allowed to fight because Nabunaga saw him as a friend (he actually was a slave) and liked to present him at parties making him do funny stuff (probably racist as hell).

The record of Yasuke ends where he was returned to the missionaries that owned a part of Japan and from there on there is no documentation of him anymore.

So yes, not a samurai, never did any fight, and was more like a joker person for Nobunaga. Now please tell me how this Ubisoft product is in any way accurate historically because they like to always claim so.

They literally put him in the game as a black token, and it’s impossible to hide in the public like you always do in AC games because 1, he’s literally the only black guy in the whole country, and 2, he was around 30cm taller than anyone else in Japan.

Last edited:

RickMasters

If the next game is set in ancient Africa I hope an Asian man is the main character. Of course, anyone that has a problem with that is in-fact a racist. I mean, who wouldn't expect or hope to play an an Asian man in a game set in ancient Africa?

They already set one in ancient Africa. In Egypt to be exact. But yeah….. would have Made more sense to have a Japanese main character and this guy be an NPC ally.

winjer

Gold Member

You can swap characters even mid mission if you want outside of the locked story missions.
Naoe can fight obviously but her fighting style isnt going to be the same as Yusukes.

I take it what you are worried about is, for when stealth fails you want to be able to quickly revert to the tank class and just beat everyone up?

This is just a curiosity, but historical Ninjas or Shinobi were just spies.
They could be anyone, from a gardener, a geisha or even a samurai.
What they rarely did was go around sneaking in the shadows, jumping roofs and murdering people.
What they actually did was to spy on an enemy Daimio. Then relay that information.
There was the occasional murder, but thar was relatively rare, as he objective was to gather information.

It's funny that both in the west and the east, around the mid XX century, spies have been made so over the top.
In the west with things like James Bond and in the east, with Ninjas.

IDKFA

Instead of give us a beautiful AC based in Africa made with people FROM AFRICA (or mostly since sadly I don't know a lot of studios there) for full accuracy and immersion for once, this is what we get: a black samouraï in Japan.

Totally accurate.
Schitts Creek Sleeping GIF by CBC

They did that. It was AC Origins. It just wasn't made by a African dev team.

StueyDuck

Looking at the amount of fact checking and correcting in this thread, I hope you'll understand why I take things on a case by case basis. Each side has massive flaws and liars that tend to pop up when conversations get more and more ridiculous over time.
I mean there's a rule about purposely spreading fake misleading news on gaf. You shouldnt have to be fact checking posts, The person will probably get warned or banned for a bit, much like Ive seen in other threads where people have done the same

But the fact that it was so easy to believe also tells you something 😉

but let me write your obvious response... "PeOpLe WiLl BeLieVe AnyThiNg is WoKe".

Black_Stride

Yasuke was a retainer for Nobunaga and was allowed to hold his swords as an assistant. He did never fight, and was not allowed to fight because Nabunaga saw him as a friend (he actually was a slave) and liked to present him at parties making him do funny stuff (probably racist as hell).
The record of Yasuke ends where he was returned to the missionaries that owned a part of Japan and from there on there is no documentation of him anymore.
So yes, not a samurai, never did any fight, and was more like a joker person for Nobunaga. Now please tell me how this Ubisoft product is in any way accurate historically because they like to always claim so.

They literally put him in the game as a black token, and it’s impossible to hide in the public like you always do in AC games because 1, he’s literally the only black guy in the whole country, and 2, he was around 30cm taller than anyone else in Japan.

Ive read enough about Yosuke to over the last two days to know....no one "knows" what the fuck they are talking about, so if they say hes a Samurai in this game, ill take it his a Samurai in this game.

He is the tank character so he isnt going to be doing the blending into the crowd thing............which modern games havent used either(sans Mirage), he plays closer to the modern games and Naoe plays like the classic games.
If the token black character is half the story....dunno if you can call them token anymore.
I havent played through it so I dont know if he is a pandered in character, but token black character he most certainly is NOT.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Never heard that. What is your source for this?

Never heard that. What is your source for this?

Or more to the truth with some Google translate:

Last edited:
I mean there's a rule about purposely spreading fake misleading news on gaf. You shouldnt have to be fact checking posts,
There's been almost non-stop fact checking in the AC Shadow threads.
The person will probably get warned or banned for a bit, much like Ive seen in other threads where people have done the same
I guess we will find out.

But the fact that it was so easy to believe also tells you something 😉

but let me write your obvious response... "PeOpLe WiLl BeLieVe AnyThiNg is WoKe".
Actually, I was going to point out that both sides have an agenda, but one side seems to be blinded to their own members pushing their own agenda under the guise of 'anti-agenda'. I don't understand how you can't see general misinformation, rumor spreading, hearsay, faked images, etc. as harmful to this anti-movement you believe in. Some of the people doing this are actively astroturfing in an attempt to get people even more riled up, in order to make that other side look much worse, facts and evidence be damned.

Actually, I was going to point out that both sides have an agenda, but one side seems to be blinded to their own members pushing their own agenda under the guise of 'anti-agenda'. I don't understand how you can't see general misinformation, rumor spreading, hearsay, faked images, etc. as harmful to this anti-movement you believe in. Some of the people doing this are actively astroturfing in an attempt to get people even more riled up, in order to make that other side look much worse, facts and evidence be damned.
"Kathleen Kennedy is actually about to get fired for real this time! Tune in again tomorrow to hear from our latest secret source."

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

I'm ok if yosuke can't stealth aswell as the chick, but he must be capable of some stealth, when you clear a camp or even during a mission, sometimes you get discovered but you wanna return to stealth to clear up some more enemies before going tank, or just because i'm in the mood for some stealth or in the mood for some action, i don't wanna constantly switch character.

If it is something like the girl having more stealth gadgets and hiding better between the crowd i'm ok with that, but i need at least the stealth basic functions for yosuke aswell, crouching, hiding into the grass, silent attacks from behind, a bow etc.

Last edited:

Deerock71

B-b-b-but that intro every time stating how every Ass Creed game is made with diverse people of all cultures, religions, races, classes, pablum, etc.

IDKFA

Yes, he wasn't a Samurai and was a retainer, but he wasn't a jester like you've made him out to be.

Regarding him fighting, he wasn't in the thick of battle because that wasn't his role, but there is a record of him fighting at the Honnō-ji Incident. According to our source, after the death of Nobunaga, Yasuke went to the residence of Nobunaga's son, Nobutada, and attacked the forces of Akechi Mitsuhide. Yasuke was convinced to stand down and was then sent back to the Jesuit missionaries.

This piece of information comes from a single source, the Portuguese missionary Luís Fróis, who was close to Oda Nobunaga. Although it's unclear if Fróis was an eye witness to this event, it's still a credible primary source and most likely a true event.

simpatico

If this was another white European instead of Yasuke, 2/3's of this forum would not give a shit. But because he is black, we have a problem. That is the reality
Bigotry accusations against 2/3s of the forum is a pretty big statement. Since I’ve seen everyone here calling for the lead to be Japanese, do you think we’re just anti black racists, but cool with Asians? Thats an oddly specific accusation. I’m not even convinced such a racist exists.

How did you reach these conclusions?

Black_Stride

However, does it matter if it is fantasy? If a developer was making a game set in a fantasy West Africa, would it be okay to make the protagonist white? It would be fantasy after all. Serious question as well .

Serious answer.
No problemo.
Assassins Creed Conquest set in Southern Africa (biased) during the Scramble for Africa one of the protagonists is English, Portuguese or Dutch the other is a local.
I bet you the SADC region would be celebrating so hard.

StueyDuck

There's been almost non-stop fact checking in the AC Shadow threads.

I guess we will find out.

It's not a movement... its people noticing and criticizing. The fact you think these things are a "movement" kind of tells everyone where your head is at.

Just because people are seeing things that you can't doesn't mean they are riled up or astroturfed to do so.

But as always the best rebuttal is why do you feel people can't feel the way they feel?

Why can't people call these things out? I haven't seen you call out anyone who is "pro DEI" and there's a few of them here. People calling other posters racist and nazis, haven't yet seen you call them out for astroturfing or being astroturfed?

So practice what you preach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom