• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq will not be reviewing Nier

Wormdundee said:
Anyway, the reason I posted was to say that Lost Odyssey is not anywhere close to being the best JRPG of the generation. I hate that game with a burning passion, hate it so much. The characters are fucking terrible, TERRIBLE. It has some of the worst costume design I've ever seen, and the battle system is boring as fuck. I got near the end and got locked into a situation where I could not beat the enemies required to progress. Because of how it was set up I couldn't go anywhere to level up. I was stuck having to fight these guys (which were impossible for me to beat) or to quit the game.

Guess what I did.

Fuck that game.
Agreed.
Lost Odyssey is the only game this gen i've tried, but failed to remain interested in on several different occasions. It's soulless and dull.

HiResDes

Wormdundee said:
I don't have much to say about the video. Justin fucked up and made a silly video, which was still pretty funny. It's not like he's constantly doing this, all his other reviews are fine, and he's hilarious on the podcast.

Anyway, the reason I posted was to say that Lost Odyssey is not anywhere close to being the best JRPG of the generation. I hate that game with a burning passion, hate it so much. The characters are fucking terrible, TERRIBLE. It has some of the worst costume design I've ever seen, and the battle system is boring as fuck. I got near the end and got locked into a situation where I could not beat the enemies required to progress. Because of how it was set up I couldn't go anywhere to level up. I was stuck having to fight these guys (which were impossible for me to beat) or to quit the game.

Guess what I did.

Fuck that game.
It's at least in the top 3, and by the sounds of it, you suck at the game...Bitter tears. But, hey what do I know I liked Enchanted Arms and the Last Remnant.

Curufinwe

The obvious problem with Joystiq doing this to Nier, is that they would never have the balls to do it to a big name game, even if it contained a section that was just as frustrating or "broken". It's a publicity stunt more than anything else.

Cep

Banned
Serious question: How many of y'all actually finish games you do not like?

Personally, I do not even buy games that I am not 100% sure that I am going to love.

That is what friends/renting/playing other games is for.

MCD

Yeah, getting stuck in LO near the end? sounds like someone suck.

both LO and FFXIII were amazing, haters gonna hate.

Cep said:
Serious question: How many of y'all actually finish games you do not like?

Personally, I do not even buy games that I am not 100% sure that I am going to love.

That is what friends/renting/playing other games is for.
Normally I only buy games after much research. Most of the time when I buy a full price game I know I will like it. Games bought at either $20 or below are the games I'm unsure about but still want to try.

The only game I really disliked but still beat was Eternal Sonata. I only beat it because I was stuck with it and wanted to see how bad it could get.

Cep

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Uh huh. And let me guess, you love ES?

Swing and a miss. :lol

Guess again.

Rahxephon91 said:
Normally I only buy games after much research. Most of the time when I buy a full price game I know I will like it. Games bought at either $20 or below are the games I'm unsure about but still want to try.

The only game I really disliked but still beat was Eternal Sonata. I only beat it because I was stuck with it and wanted to see how bad it could get.

Good policy. Personally, I do not even buy games full price (not matter how good).

I have made a couple of exceptions of late (Brawl, Madword, Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2) though.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Millions of things of all shapes and sizes to choose from. and yet we still find some insane need to tell the world that mine opinion on this or that is better than your opinion of this or that

you guys are so silly

KTallguy

Banned
Curufinwe said:
The obvious problem with Joystiq doing this to Nier, is that they would never have the balls to do it to a big name game, even if it contained a section that was just as frustrating or "broken". It's a publicity stunt more than anything else.

When I saw this post and started watching the video, I was under the impression that the fishing sequence wasn't optional. But since it is, I think it's terrible that he isn't reviewing the game any longer.

I think it's odd, since I think Joystiq maintain some pretty high ethical standards, especially when it comes to receiving gifts and accepting trips to press events. You'd think they would hold high standards to reviewing games. Justin should go on and try to play more of the game. Probably worth pointing out in his review that Nier isn't a good game for completion-ists and people with OCD.

Cep

Banned
HiResDes said:
People who senselessly throw out the word fanboy should be banned and ostracized, IMO.

I am down with this.

You and me will go on a crusade to rid these boards of these idiots.

Now all we need is a mod to join in and we can go about cleaning the Gaf, and then, the ENTIRE INTERNETZ!!!!!!!!!!!

*Laughs maniacally*

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I thought the video was hilarious.

I also think it's alright for him to quit playing the game. I'm sick of this "don't worry, the game gets better" mentality. Maybe I'm too old school but if I'm not having fun in the first hour I will refuse to go on.
This is why I will never be able to beat GTA 4

Sure, one could argue that it's his job to endure the pains of a game but I'd rather a reviewer take on a player's approach to a game rather than a "journalist's". Again, maybe I'm too old fashion but I don't want to read a review about polygon count or framerate...I want to know whether the game is fun or not. Years ago I used to read IGN reviews and then stopped after it became difficult to figure out whether the reviewer actually enjoyed the game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
IPoopStandingUp said:
Maybe I'm too old school but if I'm not having fun in the first hour I will refuse to go on.
That ain't old school.

You ain't old school.

Cred revoked.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
IPoopStandingUp said:
I thought the video was hilarious.

I also think it's alright for him to quit playing the game. I'm sick of this "don't worry, the game gets better" mentality. Maybe I'm too old school but if I'm not having fun in the first hour I will refuse to go on.
This is why I will never be able to beat GTA 4

Sure, one could argue that it's his job to endure the pains of a game but I'd rather a reviewer take on a player's approach to a game rather than a "journalist's". Again, maybe I'm too old fashion but I don't want to read a review about polygon count or framerate...I want to know whether the game is fun or not. Years ago I used to read IGN reviews and then stopped after it became difficult to figure out whether the reviewer actually enjoyed the game.

Who said the game gets better later? The game starts out good. I'm not sure whose point you're refuting here.

(Also, old school is the opposite, you dolt)

Dude could have just said he didn't like what he played and saved some face. Instead he embarrasses himself with his incompetence and then offers up lame excuses.

Cep said:
I am down with this.

You and me will go on a crusade to rid these boards of these idiots.

Now all we need is a mod to join in and we can go about cleaning the Gaf, and then, the ENTIRE INTERNETZ!!!!!!!!!!!

*Laughs maniacally*
Funny enough, I think he was referring to you, too. <3

matmanx1

Nier definitely has it's flaws. I don't think you'd have to look very hard in the official thread to see people talking about the (mostly) ugly graphics, some very bad jumping animations or even some tedious quests. And to be fair to the Joystiq guy the fishing stuff is not explained very well in the game.

However I am definitely a fan of the action RPG genre and Nier certainly gets the important stuff right and manages to add in some stuff that feels pretty fresh (for an RPG) at the same time. You've got some visceral and flexible combat, fast travel on foot or by boar, upgradeable weapons and spells via the word system (and raw materials for weapons), tons of quests, fishing, gardening, dungeons, interesting characters (if not always attractive), a compelling story and some damn good voice acting. And that's just the usual RPG stuff.

Cavia also managed to throw in a mini "text based" adventure portion, some bullet hell shooting bosses, some side scrolling platform scenes and even some top down dungeon crawling and resident evil 1 style creepy mansion stuff.

So, can you blame RPG 'Gaf for being a little excited about this game that sort of came out of nowhere and that everyone (including me) expected to be trash? I certainly won't but then again I've became a little bit of an apologist for the game. I'm realistic and I can see the flaws and the rough edges but I can also say I'm having alot of fun with the game and that it hasn't left my PS3 since I brought it home on Friday.

Wallach

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dude could have just said he didn't like what he played and saved some face. Instead he embarrasses himself with his incompetence and then offers up lame excuses.

Did you watch the video? I don't care what kind of gamer you are, the shit in this video is retarded. And apparently, the way you are supposed to do this is to go to some completely weird spot to fish instead of the water right next to the guy that gives you this task. Why is there water right next to this beginner quest with fish that take 5 minutes to catch? It's just amateur game design.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Dance In My Blood said:
That ain't old school.

You ain't old school.

Cred revoked.
Nooooooo!

thetrin said:
(Also, old school is the opposite, you dolt)
Pop in Contra, Mario, [arguably] Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Megaman...you jump right into the fun.

Yep, I hate Lost Odyssey and I'm really liking Eternal Sonata so far. I had to switch the voices to Japanese otherwise I would have to had kill myself because of Polka's voice. Other than that it's been pretty good.

And what does sucking have to do with being stuck in Lost Odyssey. I don't mean I got stuck in that I suck at fighting and I couldn't beat the guy. I was underleveled for the section and I could literally not go anywhere to level up a bit. I went to an area a little bit before I should have and could not physically leave it.

I'm fine with people thinking it's really good (I guess?), but I can't understand it. Probably the same way you can't understand why I would like Eternal Sonata. It's an opinion, I'm not telling you you're wrong. Can we not respect each others opinions on something as subjective as video games?

Haters gonna hate, u mad, etc.

GitarooMan said:
I couldn't care less if this guy reviews it or not, but Nier reeks of one of those "GAF-approved" games that makes tons of shitty decisions and has a lot of flaws (that are pointed out in reviews that are often categorized as "don't get the game" or "missed the point") but a core group at GAF loves its quirky charm and are falling over each other to tell everyone to get it. It happens like 3 or 4 times a year. This year so far we've had Deadly Premonition and now Nier.

Wallach said:
Did you watch the video? I don't care what kind of gamer you are, the shit in this video is retarded. And apparently, the way you are supposed to do this is to go to some completely weird spot to fish instead of the water right next to the guy that gives you this task. Why is there water right next to this beginner quest with fish that take 5 minutes to catch? It's just amateur game design.

Erm, no you've got it completely wrong. The area you need is directly next to where you get the quest. There is a big red X marking the location on your minimap.

Wormdundee said:
Yep, I hate Lost Odyssey and I'm really liking Eternal Sonata so far.
This is truly a disturbing universe.

But hey at least ES has one fan that seems to be sane and not have some sort of 2d complex. Going by the avatar this is.

Wallach

Baloonatic said:
Erm, no you've got it completely wrong. The area you need is directly next to where you get the quest. There is a big red X marking the location on your minimap.

Really? This is someone else from the NeoGAF official thread:

This cannot be reiterated enough:

When you first get your fishing pole and lure, DO NOT start fishing near the old man that gives you it.

Then DO NOT head left of him to fish on the pier closer to the huge fishing boat.

Please run towards the lighthouse, and instead of turning left in the caverns of the town to the lighthouse, continue running to the beach area where the kids are playing with the fat seals. Fish there.

Or else you will waste 40 minutes swearing at the top of your lungs at why fishing is SO GOD DAMN HARD!

What's the story?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Baloonatic said:
The story is whoever posted that is wrong.

Actually, I was only able to catch the Shaman Fish when I went to other beach (with all the seals on it) to the red X location. I wasn't able to catch anything besides cans near the guy on the dock or the beach to his immediate right (until after I caught the Shaman Fish at the red X location at the other beach).

I had more problems with the game's erroneous instruction to press A when the fish bites the lure on the 360 version. DO NOT DO THIS - you will lose the fish. Just pull back on the left stick and whittle away his health.

luxarific said:
Actually, I was only able to catch the Shaman Fish when I went to other beach (with all the seals on it) to the red X location. I wasn't able to catch anything besides cans near the guy on the dock or the beach to his immediate right (until after I caught the Shaman Fish at the red X location at the other beach).

I had more problems with the game's erroneous instruction to press A when the fish bites the lure on the 360 version. DO NOT DO THIS - you will lose the fish. Just pull back on the left stick and whittle away his health.

Interesting, I caught mine straight away where the X was. You must be able to catch it at both.

Wallach

luxarific said:

So, when you go to the area where you did catch this fish, is it always that speed?

Oyashiro

Ok, pardon me if this has been mentioned before, because I haven't read the entire thread. But I just want to say something.

I'm playing Nier right now, and I just recently got through that part. The reason the guy can't get the fish is because he's not in the right spot. You're supposed to follow the X on your map to a little secluded beach where you can catch the fish. It takes like 2 tries tops to get it.

Wallach said:
So, when you go to the area where you did catch this fish, is it always that speed?

Nope, it will only take that long with bigger fish. It's faster the higher your fishing rank is. The fish you need to catch takes 5, maybe 10 seconds.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Baloonatic said:
Interesting, I caught mine straight away where the X was. You must be able to catch it at both.

I only saw one X - on the Seal Beach. Maybe the Shaman Fish quest has two options for an X? Either it appears next to the Fisherman quest guy, or it appears on the Seal Beach?

It doesn't really matter - just check the mini-map or the larger map for the red X when you get the Shaman Fish quest and go there to fish. Don't immediately assume, as I did, that you can fish anywhere and catch the damn thing. You really need to fish at the X to catch it.

(That's the only fishing quest that comes with an X, btw. Everything else you have to search around for.)

*enjoyed fishing*

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Baloonatic said:
Nope, it will only take that long with bigger fish. It's faster the higher your fishing rank is. The fish you need to catch takes 5, maybe 10 seconds.

I have to admit that it's very satisfying to go back and whip up a shark or a marlin in a few seconds after you've upgraded your fishing completely, given the initial struggle to catch them.

luxarific said:
I only saw one X - on the Seal Beach. Maybe the Shaman Fish quest has two options for an X? Either it appears next to the Fisherman quest guy, or it appears on the Seal Beach?

It doesn't really matter - just check the mini-map or the larger map for the red X when you get the Shaman Fish quest and go there to fish. Don't immediately assume, as I did, that you can fish anywhere and catch the damn thing. You really need to fish at the X to catch it.

(That's the only fishing quest that comes with an X, btw. Everything else you have to search around for.)

*enjoyed fishing*

Ooooh, that would be interesting. Either way, the guy wasn't following the quest marker. If you look at his mini-map you can clearly see it in the corner :lol

Wallach

Baloonatic said:

Fair enough.

Unfortunate then, because this is negative publicity this game probably doesn't need. Seems like it could have been avoided easily enough.

Ridley327

It could stand to use any publicity, really. This has to be the softest launch that I think I've seen Squenix do for a mid-card title.

hamchan

Jesus Christ at all the Joystiq fanboys that are commenting on the article page.

That NrNisdeadsexy that commented is, in my view, right and yet he's getting voted down and attacked because he disagrees with the reviewer.

Calcaneus

Neir seems like something I could be willing to at least try, but I'm not made of money and I'm about three GAF JRPG darlings behind so that will have to wait.

faridmon

I can understand where he's coming from.

at least they were honest about and said '' this game is so crap that we don't give a bloody rat-ass''

:lol at people moaning in this thread.

hamchan

MCD said:
both LO and FFXIII were amazing, haters gonna hate.

and they both have terrible endings!!

faridmon said:
I can understand where he's coming from.

at least they were honest about and said '' this game is so crap that we don't give a bloody rat-ass''

:lol at people moaning in this thread.

From my understanding it's not the game that sucks but the reviewer.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The shaman fish took all of 15 seconds for me to catch. I don't get what the problem is.

Top Bottom