• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, July 11th

Shock32

I really appreciate the 95% of feedback from these threads that is constructive and interesting.

There will be some (what I think are fun) quotes on the performance of Crash in today's release.

Todd Bless.

tumblr_inline_n0i21ho15g1qd204w.gif

You're definitely right there for me I guess I feel even with good PR/Marketing it's almost never �� the truth. Ultimately it's just a field that I find were honesty will have to be bent at some points to push something (ofc that's not to say this is exclusive to marketing it's just as selling a product/service etc it rubs me the wrong way)

You are skeptical and discerning and there isn't any shame in it. That's a good way to be and more people like you keeps company's marketing and PR honest. I have been burned by buying into hype in the past and I have my own threshold of what sounds like candy coated bull.

Sometimes the best thing companies can do is shut up and perform/produce. Too much talk with little to no noticeable impact is a recipe for alienating a consumer base.

I'm sure someone has stated this already, but I'd like to state it again. I don't think the XB1X is going to do that well this fall, based solely on pricepoint.

For $500:
XB1S, PS4, Switch (pick 2) —OR— XB1X

It'll definitely sell, mainly to Xbox fans who are looking to upgrade, but to the average consumer... the above math makes the unit much less enticing.

Also, I can't wait for Crash numbers. Bring on CTR!

If Crash places highly on the chart it will be incredibly impressive. This is a revenue based chart now so Crash already has a $20 price disadvantage compared to many games and it also had 2 days of tracking

Zedark

If Crash places highly on the chart it will be incredibly impressive. This is a revenue based chart now so Crash already has a $20 price disadvantage compared to many games and it also had 2 days of tracking

Definitely would be a monumental achievement. From what we can glean from amazon monthly charts (the only, even if flawed, tool we have in terms of foreshadowing the true NPD results), Crash seems to have finished behind Horizon Zero Dawn and ARMS, though I am not at all sure that would translate to the general picture.

Bruno MB

I don't know if Crash Bandicoot is as popular in the US as it is in Europe, or maybe even more I don't have the data in front of me.

In case it is, I have little no doubt that Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy comfortably topped the US June top 20 revenue chart.

By highly on the chart, you thinking top 3?

Maybe how joke that the game "came in crashing and took the lead" and that was "not only unexpected, but n.sane"

:D
I'd allow it!

I can't say that I am not ever so slightly worried now lol.

sam12

When will Xbox executives wake up. Stop trying to only cater to their hardcore base, why not appeal to other gamers outside that base

Ex-Psych

Crash deserves all the success it gets. Hopefully it convinces Activision to do more legit Crash games.

I also hope ARMS is doing great as well. 1 million worldwide let's gooooo

Dynomutt

Crash deserves all the success it gets. Hopefully it convinces Activision to do more legit Crash games.

I also hope ARMS is doing great as well. 1 million worldwide let's gooooo

Curious how CTR would work. Would Sony not want that title an exclusive by any means? Especially after the success of Crash or did Sony trade that away for a 1 year exclusive deal on this remake? Interesting.

Kolx

Are these numbers really that big a deal to MS? They've made it clear that they really couldn't give two shits about hardware numbers anymore. That's no longer their strategy or focus.

I mean sure the console hardware numbers are not anything to be proud of compared to the PS4, but they're getting a head start on conquering the PC or play anywhere type of market, while Sony is still stuck on the console market.
Play anywhere is not supported by that many games outside of first party which is already small. Windows store is pathetic both in quality and popularity in comparison to Steam. MS is not going to conquer PC or even come close to doing to that with their current policy. Sony has more chance of succeeding at PC with their shitty service Now than MS does.

Bruno MB

Is there even public data for older Crash titles? I wouldn't be surprised if N.Sane debuts the highest.

I have checked if there was any leak on a public forum and I found LTD data as of January 2003 for the original trilogy.

[PSX] Crash Bandicoot - 2,741,213
[PSX] Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 3,100,190
[PSX] Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - 3,006,691

[PSX] Crash Team Racing - 1,839,410
[PSX] Crash Bash - 1,066,727

I didn't remember they sold so well, North America was definitely the biggest market for the franchise. Well, now I am 100% sure that Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy was the best-selling game of the month (NPD Value Top 20 Chart).

MS didn't even pretend to have a global launch though.
Totally irrelevant to a discussion of Nintendo's preparedness. Nintendo's problem is general availability, not regional apportioning. Microsoft shipped far more units in the immediate launch period, no matter where they were destined.

The Switch then, is not planning on the Switch being a failure. That 10 million forcast is far more realistic of what they would have sold had the Switch had the reception of the 3DS and Wii U.
The pre-pricecut 3DS and the WiiU were failures, so planning to match them is, in fact, planning to fail. It's also germane that Switch didn't have that type of reception, so preparing for such was wrong and has left the market underserved.

Consumer reaction isn't wholly predictable, of course. But there are ways to measure it, however roughly. I'm sure Microsoft's radical changes of policy with Xbox One before launch weren't whim, but driven by social metrics and purchase-intent projection. Nintendo chose to reveal Switch without pricing or preorders (if I recall correctly), depriving themselves of direct data about interest. The full details were announced so near to launch that there wasn't any time to react to what turned out to be ample demand. This was all under Nintendo's control.

Comparing it to the Xbox One is also pretty hilarious, seeing as that Microsoft didn't even have the balls to launch the system globally after it's E3 reception.
See above. Where they chose to launch is not the point. That Microsoft had millions more units ready, for any region, is the point.

And frankly, it's quite disingenuous to bring in your own expectations as a consumer when talking about how a company plans for the launch of it's new product. Next to consumers who want their product, Nintendo has to able to justify their forcasts to investors.
How on earth is it "disingenuous" to take stock of consumer feeling when assessing how well a company is meeting market demand? A satisfied (or at least satisficed) customer base is the sole foundation from which good news for companies and their investors flows.

It may be helpful to expand what I'm asserting. I'm not saying Nintendo should've been perfectly prescient about the reaction to Switch. What I'm proposing is that they should've built a plan that could flexibly react to a wide range of demand; should've pursued advance data to peg their projections well; and should've trusted in the efficacy of their improved software development plan and ramped marketing spend.

I have checked if there was any leak on a public forum and I found LTD data as of January 2003 for the original trilogy.

[PSX] Crash Bandicoot - 2,741,213
[PSX] Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 3,100,190
[PSX] Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - 3,006,691

[PSX] Crash Team Racing - 1,839,410
[PSX] Crash Bash - 1,066,727

I didn't remember they sold so well, North America was definitely the biggest market for the franchise. Well, now I am 100% sure that Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy was the best-selling game of the month (NPD Value Top 20 Chart).
Oh my. I thought UK was the biggest.

Ehker

Looks like positive Xbox earnings news for FY17 Q4, from Matt Brown of WIndows Central:

"Gaming revenue increased $44 million or 3% (Higher rev from software and services, offset by lower rev from Xbox hardware)"

"Xbox software and services revenue increased 11%, primarily due to a higher volume of Xbox Live transactions."

"Xbox Live monthly active users grew 8% to 53 million"

jmaine_ph

I have zero doubts in my mind about how Crash performed even after only being available for two days. The games sold great and will top the charts.

Welp, just got some PR from Activision:

“The fan response to Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy has been tremendous with the title landing at number one worldwide in physical game sales, even though it was only on shelves for two days in June (2). We’re thrilled that there seems to be a whole lot of people out there who love Crash as much we do,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Welp, just got some PR from Activision:

”The fan response to Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy has been tremendous with the title landing at number one worldwide in physical game sales, even though it was only on shelves for two days in June (2). We're thrilled that there seems to be a whole lot of people out there who love Crash as much we do," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision.

"The fan response has been...N. Sane."

Number 1 worldwide??? Cot damn!

Yea I realized later in my haste to get my joke out there...worldwide is not NPD...

We will see soon tho.

Well Activision is also talking about sold copies. It could theoretically be best selling game in US for last month but still chart lower in NPD chart because that is revenue based.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's possible it's not first due to how the charts are Value based, not Units based.

Still, it's incredible how well Crash has been selling.

Top Bottom