• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just 99 Xbox Ones were sold in Japan last week

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjonez18

As it stands now that's pretty much the gist of it. If Sony can't get the PS4 to sell at least half-decently in Japan this year with the games they're releasing I don't think there's much of a chance of a turn-around.

Well that won't be hard, because it sold half decently in 2015.

And they were all sold to marines stationed over there I bet lol. I love xbox one, but Japanese people are about as likely to buy an x1 as they are to buy a chevy. I don't think it has anything to do with the xbox lacking in any way. Just look at the previous generation. PS3 almost always had the inferior version of every game, but that's what they bought.

Brand loyalty really is interesting isn't it? I found myself early in this gen subconsciously rooting for the xbox one, as if I had some stake in its success.If I had a neogaf account back then I'm sure I would have been banned. lol

I was shocked to see how poorly Sega has done in its own country. Perhaps it's just how they're perceived to be not the major player and you end up being a tiny fraction.

Proxy

Hey man, don't shit on the box.

One does wonder if Microsoft will even bother to release their next console in Japan.

Well that won't be hard, because it sold half decently in 2015.

I guess we both have different ideas about what half decent is. It's certainly selling enough to keep it's head above water, I'm more talking about whether it can take that next step to 'take off' so to speak.

jjonez18

I guess we both have different ideas about what half decent is. It's certainly selling enough to keep it's head above water, I'm more talking about whether it can take that next step to 'take off' so to speak.

I'll accept that we may have different ranges for decent, but its definitely not "horrible" as the guy you quoted put it. Unless you were expecting PS4 to somehow start pulling PS1/PS2 numbers again. It's tracking with PS3 in the worst possible climate. Yes it needs to kick it into the next gear, but just like every other <2 year old console, it's best days are ahead of it.

Flintty

No it is mainly US centric with a bit of lip service to UK.

NFL, TV, America.

It's a console with a single region outlook

I'm sure they would have loved to have had some Sky Sports integration for top tier football in EU. Things might have been slightly different if they had but I imagine the cost (to MS) would have been astronomical.

Is the 99 bones sold in a week a new low record?

Honestly I don't even find this all that surprising, the XB1 might as well not exist in Japan.

If you follow the conversation and understand the context, you'll understand that post was sarcasm.

Fishook

Its not a surprise, Its like putting a long establish PC Franchise to consoles, then moaning they don't sell and vice versa. People like what no and trust. Its like how many people go abroad, and the proceed to buy the brands they no and trust, even though even if its expensive.

I am off to States in a couple of months, and will not be eating or drinking anything I can in buy in the UK within reason (branded goods) But that just me and part of the fun going to the States.

EGM1966

It's has almost zero titles of interest regionally that aren't on other consoles.

It has weaker versions of multiplatform titles.

It's big and bulky.

It's very US centric.

It's from the least successful brand.

The market it competes for is shrinking.

There are two other more popular brands with better games/features for the region available.

Last gen they taught the market most exclusive titles were actually timed.

MS couldn't have designed XB1 worse for current Japanese market if they'd tried.

It was truly DOA. That term is usually used hyperbolically but in this case it was actually true.

Rymuth

You have something on one of the admins here, don't you? Or what's your secret of not getting the boot?
Fun fact: I swear to you, I have long suspected he was a secret mod alt, possibly Evilore himself.

Guess his luck finally ran out.

Astery

news at 11?
Even at its best opportunity moment during the 360 big jRPG moneyhats against PS3's weakest period, it still wasn't worth the investment for MS, so just let it be.

redcrayon

I dont think its conpletely US centric, more anglosaxbox.
As a UK gamer, it's completely US centric.

Offering similar media plans across Europe for sports they actually give a toss about would have been very expensive though, but I don't think they realised how having so much focus on the U.S. would go down so badly elsewhere by making it look like other countries were being ignored in comparison. Sony tend to have a much more neutral approach to promoting the PS consoles.

jiggle

news at 11?
Even at its best opportunity moment during the 360 big jRPG moneyhats against PS3's weakest period, it still wasn't worth the investment for MS, so just let it be.
I think it was a great investment
Shocking they didn't try again really

Dark_castle

Xbox fans in Japan were like
wirXNSF.gif

Offering similar media plans across Europe for sports they actually give a toss about would have been very expensive though, but I don't think they realised how having so much focus on the U.S. would go down so badly elsewhere by making it look like other countries were being ignored in comparison. Sony tend to have a much more neutral approach to promoting the PS consoles.

What he said

The reveal was all America/TV focused

Turned me right off

Then the HDMI in creating lag problems for European users due to differing viewing Hz
Made the TV in function problematic for those that were interested in it.
(I believe that is fixed now though?)

mocoworm

US and European centric console, with (pretty much) zero Japanese / Eastern regional games ... doesn't sell well in Japan.

Colour me surprised.

MS need to pull out of Japan altogether and focus on their stronger markets.

redcrayon

US and European centric console, with (pretty much) zero Japanese / Eastern regional games ... doesn't sell well in Japan.

Colour me surprised.

MS need to pull out of Japan altogether and focus on their stronger markets.
Er, European? Really? They only have one strong market, the US (which, to be fair, is the strongest by a long way). Even the UK is now strongly contested after the US focus of the Xbox One.

The UK has similar taste to the US in games (the weekly charts are fairly similar outside of Fifa), but US-focused PR and advertising isn't the way to be the market leader here.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well facts are facts: Xbox needs to release more games where 1000 year old witches look like 12 year school girls who fall backwards a lot in their skirts

Maybe you should do more research? Loli games barely sell 50k, the games that actually sell are Mario, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear, and Grand Theft Auto just to name a few.

Notice what they have in common? It's certainly not 12 year old anime girls.

correojon

This. Focusing so much on the US and not providing similar things for the rest of countries make you feel "tier 2". On the other side you have Sony´s approach, which was very intelligent by selling the system as "4 the players".

Flintty

We laugh but at least people have a choice. Could you please imagine if Playstation was literally the only game in town?

Mr Stocks would be elated. Truly a dream come true for him. Until innovation completely stops and Sony stop pushing themselves.

That said, the door would be wide open for a magnificent Sega comeback.

Alo0oy

Banned
XB1- Bomba
Wii U - Awful
PS4 - Horrible

This is a quick summary of console sales in Japan.

Make sure to cite me if you use this post in any articles or discussions.

The PS4 is doing better than the PS3 did in the same timeframe, horrible isn't anywhere close to accurate, & neither the Wii U for that matter.

The PS4 is doing better than the PS3 did in the same timeframe, horrible isn't anywhere close to accurate, & neither the Wii U for that matter.
Really? I didn't know that. I wouldn't have said what I did before if I'd known that. By the tone of most posts I read I thought it was doing much worse.

Alo0oy

Banned
Really? I didn't know that. I wouldn't have said what I did before if I'd known that. By the tone of most posts I read I thought it was doing much worse.

It had a miserable first year, which is why there's a perception of "PS4 is dead", but it's been doing very well since games started coming out last March, & even better since the price cut & MGS5 launch.

Same thing with the Wii U & Splatoon.

evilr

Banned
Isn't this your Twitter account? Jesusfuckingchrist indeed.

Yes it is. Forgive me for basking in the glory that the original vision of Xbox One was dramatically declined by gamers around the world.

Without a doubt, it saved the industry I am very passionate about. Or at the very least I am still a console gamer as a result.

And by the way: I've championed the death of VR when Microsoft are not even in the game. Only Sony. Would a "Sony fanboy" really do that? I certainly wouldn't think so...

Jarnet87

Their only hope in Japan is to go all Sega Saturn and start getting Japanese developers to make a bunch of adult games and dating games.

Only 99 consoles in one week? I wouldn't even call that a bomba, to say it was a bomba implied people were aware of it. That's a straight up whimper.

If MS does make another console I think they'll need to step away from the Xbox brand and try a different approach with a new label. The Xbox brand is just way too American-eccentric. Not just for Japan (though it's an egregious example in this case), but elsewhere.

Ethnocentric pride at its greatest. How sad.

Oh I see so because Microsoft fucked up the Xbox brand and its selling very poor as a result I must be a Sony fan?

Jesus fucking christ.
Isn't this your Twitter account? Jesusfuckingchrist indeed.

Sure, if you look hard enough you'll find his twitter account, but I doubt most people will find him using only "evilr" on twitter/google.

He actually posted saying that is his twitter account.

japanese are nazis when it comes to consoles. they are super proud of their own stuff.

there was a super awesome article about that on eurogamer regarding this "problem".

lmao, the fun times never end here at GAF.

mNX.gif

Flintty

Yes it is. Forgive me for basking in the glory that the original vision of Xbox One was dramatically declined by gamers around the world.

Without a doubt, it saved the industry I am very passionate about. Or at the very least I am still a console gamer as a result.

You need to get over this. Xbox One turned out to be a good games console with many great games. You come across as unforgiving towards MS for (rightly or wrongly) trying to do something different. They didn't. It's done. Let it go. In addition to it being bad for the industry, if MS terminated Xbox operations it would also leave a lot of people jobless. Just enjoy your PS4 and move on in life.

T.O.P

Banned

That's the weakest come back i've ever seen

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

You say that as if the PS3 sold well. Lowered expectations and all.

I also doubt the PS4 is gonna have the legs of the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom