• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 on PS4 has 3min 30 sec loadings (post Day One patch)

Nimby

Banned
Damn that sucks. When is it ever okay to have a game load for over 3 minutes? I would have reset by then.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The initial load of the game is large - akin to GTA. Subsequent loads are shorter. This is not news. This site is reaching for a news story.

This. Some open world games take a ton to load and then stream from then on. One long load is much better than a tons of smaller ones (Fallout 4).

bombshell

The rational thinking part of me is guessing that this abnormally long load time is the game trying to communicate with the servers (yes, servers) and I've read that they are very hit and miss right now, even for something like opening the map.

This. Some open world games take a ton to load and then stream from then on. One long load is much better than a tons of smaller ones (Fallout 4).

The world had already loaded. This is from a death state. It shouldn't need a long load after the game has already started.

If the other GAFer is correct, then this might be an issue localized to the PS4 only (and PC for whatever reason, but lesser so).

Did it ever cross your mind that he might already have the game? It's widely available in Europe already.

No, because he never presented any evidence of that, and the video in the OP did. So who should I believe?

To clarify, and I don't know why I need to do this anyway, I don't believe every single load is like this. It's apparently random, and because it's from a death state, it's probably not a normalized load like when you boot the game. Most people here are of that same opinion.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The rational thinking part of me is guessing that this abnormally long load time is the game trying to communicate with the servers (yes, servers) and I've read that they are very hit and miss right now, even for something like opening the map.
Yeah that's definitely possible. I remember The Last of Us had that problem.

nynt9

What's up with the comments on the video about Xbox astroturfers on gaf or something?

Also these load times are horrible.

Durden77

Welp, I'll just have to not die then.

Nothing will keep me from this game. This is a bummer, but as long as it's only for deaths I can deal. Most of my time will be spent making grapple contraptions anyway.

I do hope they can lower the time with patches though.

If you had watched it, you wouldn't have made your original post. This is very clearly not an initial load screen.

I posted it like that as the initial load is proven to be long by multiple sources across all platforms. Even PC's with SSD. This news/video is from one source, who is using an accusatory style of writing, and using the word "cunt" on Twitter. Hardly seems like something to panic over. I am not saying the video is a fake, this is more an error than a repeatable issue IMO.

Burt

This probably has something to do with the servers. People in the impressions thread are talking about the game hanging for ~1 minute just to access the map because of server stuff. I'm watching the SE-sponsored Lirik stream and he just died, game loaded in 8 seconds. He has a beastly PC, but I still can't see load times taking 25 times as long on consoles.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

This is what I'm thinking too. Seems like it's trying to handshake the server and getting no response and waits until it gets one... It's not actually loading.

Blanquito

Single studio internal game engines are always the best.
Seriously... What drives a studio to create their own anymore?

Isn't unreal open enough now to literally change the source code if you have a license?

I guess one may be offset by the license fee, but you would figure that in the end you'll save money by having better official support, many more people/studios using it and documenting it, etc.

Hoje0308

Banned
Ugh...I hope that's a bug or something that can be addressed easily with a patch. I've spent so many hours looking at loading screens this year.

I really need to stop reading youtube comments, or find an app to convert them. Fuck. Also that's pretty atrocious.

That was my exact thought as I let my eyes drift down into the muck, and now you've been quoted too. Someone is a little too invested in their plastic box of choice.

Ridley327

So this might be affected by online servers? That would be very believable, especially after how much of a mess MGS5 was early on with the servers dramatically impacting access to your iDroid and load times between the game world and the ACC.

antitrop

How were the load times in Mad Max? That would be important to consider, because this was made by Avalanche's sister studio in NY.
I played Mad Max on PS4 and wasn't overly bothered by them. They're weren't anywhere even close to as long and as often as something like Fallout 4.

Vex_

Banned
Why are you guys reading the youtube comments? Like, what are you even looking for? You know they are going to be ass, so why read ass?

No one to blame but yourselves.

On the Xbox One(WD 1TB external HDD)was 40 - 50 seconds when you first press new game. After that any death during the game was 15-20 seconds so I guess it depends on where you install the game? Who knows.

I posted it like that as the initial load is proven to be long by multiple sources across all platforms. Even PC's with SSD. This news/video is from one source, who is using an accusatory style of writing, and using the word "cunt" on Twitter. Hardly seems like something to panic over. I am not saying the video is a fake, this is more an error than a repeatable issue IMO.
He's talking about being called one himself. What the hell are you on about.

This probably has something to do with the servers. People in the impressions thread are talking about the game hanging for ~1 minute just to access the map because of server stuff. I'm watching the SE-sponsored Lirik stream and he just died, game loaded in 8 seconds. He has a beastly PC, but I still can't see load times taking 25 times as long on consoles.

This is why everything you read about a game up to a week after launch must be taken with a grain of salt.

Shredderi

That's not a long loading time or a brutal one. That is the single worst loading time I have ever heard of in a game. Holy fuck how can a death load be so catastrophically long?

ironcreed

Banned
The initial load of the game is large - akin to GTA. Subsequent loads are shorter. This is not news. This site is reaching for a news story.

Yeah, most of the footage I have watched was deep into the game and out in the world. I never saw any excessive loading times that would cause me to flip my shit. Certainly not 3 minutes or it is something that I surely would have picked up on.

Hoje0308

Banned
Way more worried about their frame rate impressions. I plan on waiting until later in the week to buy it anyway, so I guess I'll go with whichever console performs best.

bombshell

I will be playing on Xbox One, so good deal.

Reading the other thread I'm sure it's server hiccups and not the game loading that long. It's also on both.

Played both the PS4 and Xbox One versions, XBone has a much more solid framerate but looks slightly muddy and aliased, but PS4 is a lot clearer IQ wise, but drops frames like it's going out of style.

On both consoles, loading times are vile. Like, 5 minutes before respawning. I got up, made a sandwich, ate it, and it finished 30 seconds or so afterwards, and no, I'm not joking.

Actual game is just JC2 with some ramped up visual flair and a loads more destruction, which for me is worthy of GOTY haha, but YMMV.

Kathian

Banned
That's awful. GTA got it right years back. Are they loading an old save and then applying it to the world? Add in a hospital. Done. We've already worked out how to do this! Just what the heck.

Did you even read what you linked?

He's not using it, he's saying people are using it against him.

Top Bottom