• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya strikes again, this time Game Informer is his victim

DemonNite

pSAyJFa.png

chrono01

This thread...THIS THREAD...is awesome. So many amazing posts.

Also, well done Kamiya [or should I say, "Koyima?"].

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You have this weird way of being simultaneously self-deprecating while acting like this is just one of those things that could happen to anybody.

Most high school students would have at least done some cursory research and thought about it and the excuse of tagging it as a rumor does little to mitigate the lack of those fundamentals in the first place.

The purpose of his tweet was not to convince Game Informer to write a story without verification, it was his stock response to getting asked about dates. The extent to which you were "trolled" by it seems to say more about your reporting skills.

Tags for this post: lol don't take this seriously I guess

I think that's the weirdest thing about this persona people have crafted for Kamiya on twitter. People just interpret things he posts in ways that fit it, regardless of his actual intent.

It was at its worst when people were intentionally posting dumb things to him on twitter and then screencapping him responding with his stock emotes or smileys and posting captions like "LOL THIS GUY" to describe them. There was a whole thread on Neogaf dedicated to this for a while. Basically harassing the guy with stupid questions and then laughing when he calls them idiots for it.

It's so weird to watch, and actually why I ultimately stopped following him.

It's not like every single person involved with games is following every single game developer and knows the ins and outs of their twitter personalities. Holy crap some of you guys are harsh.

The point isn't that he didn't know. The point is that he didn't bother to find out. He just read something and posted it. Worry about verifying it later

He didn't bother to follow up and ask Kamiya for clarification personally.(I mean you'd think this would be step one when you're on fucking twitter to begin with) Hell he didn't even bother to read his other tweets from that day/week apparently as Kamiya does that response at least 3 times a day.

I mean when he's not bothering to use basic cognitive processes to question the validity of the things he's reporting on, what's keeping a robot from doing his job? You could write a program that could scavenge and post information from twitter indiscriminately far more efficiently than a human could at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not saying he should get fired but it's weird as hell to just laugh this off. Alot is revealed by the quality of your work with a mistake like this.

Kusagari

I don't think the guy should be fired but this IS exactly why games journalism is a joke.

A guy bothers to write a stupid story about a clearly satirical tweet instead of taking 5 seconds and going "There's been nothing said about Wonderful 101's release date at all so Kamiya is, you know, probably shooting the piss on Twitter."

It shows a crippling lack of intelligence in reporting on such a simple matter. It's journalism 101 to not do something this stupid but then again 99% of games "journalists" never actually got journalism training or went to J-school did they?

Dawg

I had to log off a couple minutes after making this thread. I expected a few replies 'bout the typo etc but not this...

It's amazing.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I don't think the guy should be fired but this IS exactly why games journalism is a joke.

A guy bothers to write a stupid story about a clearly satirical tweet instead of taking 5 seconds and going "There's been nothing said about Wonderful 101's release date at all so Kamiya is, you know, probably shooting the piss on Twitter."

It shows a crippling lack of intelligence in reporting on such a simple matter. It's journalism 101 to not do something this stupid but then again 99% of games "journalists" never actually got journalism training or went to J-school did they?

And yet where's the intelligence in treating this -- THIS -- like the world's biggest fuck-up?

Kusagari

And yet where's the intelligence in treating this -- THIS -- like the world's biggest fuck-up?

It's not. I said the guy shouldn't lose his job or anything. But it's just another example of why games journalism is mocked.

The fact that the guys in this thread just laughing it off and not realizing how poorly this reflects on him as a professional only exasperates the issue.

Coxy

to be fair, not doing the absolute bare minimum fact checking on things that seem incredibly unlikely is a reasonably large problem with games journalism

As someone with both master's and bachelor's degrees in journalism, I'll say that I'd be really surprised if 50% of what we call "games journalists" nowadays have any prior experience or education in the field. They're all glorified bloggers.

EDIT: Okay that down there vvvvv is funny as hell.

duckroll

I don't have anything new to add to my ongoing disdain for how casual social media comments get passed as "news" these days without any proper research or use of cognitive functions by supposed journalists, so I'll just quote the last rant I made from the MGS5 thread:

I'm not really sure why tweets like this pass the bar for news articles personally. At the very least, shouldn't there be more research done to make the article more informative and reflective of facts?

Kojima tweeted a few days about the completion of the main motion capture part of MGS5. There were several tweets about it aside from this. First he compared game development with film making, and contrasted the two. The point was that for films, after principal photography is complete, the rest is post-production and editing, with the actual film content more or less done. For game development there's still much more to do. He also talked about the expanded international cast they used for motion capture acting this time, and how child actors tend to grow very quickly, and they seem more mature at the end of a filming session than before.

This is not a "game is delayed" tweet, it's not a "things are falling behind" tweet, and it's not a "here's an update on the progress of the game's development" tweet. It's just him giving personal thoughts about the milestone of finishing the motion capture sessions for the game.

I really hate the way internet "news" works where sites are encouraged to twist stuff into evocative headlines to get clicks, to get it linked in forums and social media, just so people think that there's something to read into from a goddamn tweet. It sickens me that information and technology are used in such flippant ways under the guise of "journalism".

Fuck everything.

Screen_shot_2013_05_02_at_11_07_37.png

I wonder if Game Informer will strike twice?

"Controversial game developer Hideki Kamiya has Tweeted again about the upcoming controversial Wii U exclusive, Bayonetta 2. We want to check with our sources first, but this does seem legitimate because as we know, Wii U is controversial and sucks and needs more games so this could be legitimate this time. Stay tuned to Game Informer for the latest."

GeekyDad

I don't have anything new to add to my ongoing disdain for how casual social media comments get passed as "news" these days without any proper research or use of cognitive functions by supposed journalists, so I'll just quote the last rant I made from the MGS5 thread:

And I don't have much new to add either in saying gaming news shouldn't measured alongside real journalism, so I'll quote myself as well:

There are no bigger issues in video-game journalism. Perhaps that's the point he's trying to make.

Stuff like this is what gets hits. It's what gamers like reading about, even when it's wrong or stupid. That's all advertisers care about. That's all sites like GI care about, therefore. It's meant to be fun. It's about games after all. Feeling disdain toward this sort of media is like getting mad at a pig for rolling around in its own shit.

qxvLXSm.gif

JDSN

Banned
Nothing particular different from this guy from the rest of the journalists, it seems western media has a hard on for taking Platinum's comments out of context.
nETTExU.jpg

faridmon

HAHAHA, I haven't laughed like this in ages. Thanks Kamiya!
Poor Inaba, now he have to write another letter of explanation of why its not coming out next week.

Beckx

HAHAHA, I haven't laughed like this in ages. Thanks Kamiya!
Poor Inaba, now he have to write another letter of explanation of why its not coming out next week.

Hahah, no.

@PG_inaba 5h
So it sounds like @gameinformer fell for one of @PG_Kamiya’s jokes. This time I get to laugh with him.

We all are, sir, we all are.

Then later, echoing JP from last week:

@PG_inaba 4h
Media (not just western, in Japan as well) who copy/paste tweets and say they are news aren’t doing any sort of journalism...

‏@PG_inaba 4h
They are just doing the same thing that the retweet button already does.

@PG_inaba 4h
Then they take those tweets and twist/spin them to sensationalize, or cover the fact that they haven’t done any actual reporting.

RaidenJackVoice: "We're done here."

(Inaba followed with a nice discussion in Japanese about TW101, but no reason to post the machine translation here. If anyone could do an accurate translation, that'd be great.)

Last thing, from JP about our intrepid reporter:

‏@PG_jp 15h
Sorry @Futterish! Karma for saying Anarchy Reigns was one of the worst games of the generation, perhaps!

Stuart444

@PG_inaba 4h
Media (not just western, in Japan as well) who copy/paste tweets and say they are news aren’t doing any sort of journalism...

‏@PG_inaba 4h
They are just doing the same thing that the retweet button already does.

@PG_inaba 4h
Then they take those tweets and twist/spin them to sensationalize, or cover the fact that they haven’t done any actual reporting.

He has a point (especially the comparison to the retweet button) but most media won't care so *shrugs*, whatever gets them their clicks is fine by them.

Besides that, only other comments I have for this thread:

The Koyima stuff: Hilarious XD.

The guy who posted this and who has posted in this thread: Nice to see he isn't defending himself that much and is instead just taking his 'lumps'. Better than trying to rationalize being fooled considering how obvious it would be with a glance of Kamiya's twitter account.

People should stop crucifying the guy. Let's hope he learned his lesson though.
It's really weird how something so unlikely didn't ring any alarm bells in his head. It's his job to keep up with everything that happens in this industry, how can you read that and not think "wait a second, this can't be right"?
I mean, not even enough suspicion to run it by a colleague?

Oppo

I'm tweeting this post ;) (And, I agree)

Burt

I don't know if this is trolling. I don't even know if I like this at all. He says the game's coming out next week, so Game Informer posts a blurb on it (that's hesitant to label it the truth). They check with the higher-ups, who say Kamiya was lying, so GI updates their article... and Kamiya sits in front of his computer cackling to himself?

It's just... kind of stupid. Any known name at a studio could do this, but they don't because they know it's stupid. I'd like to see how the reaction would differ if someone who wasn't Kamiya did this. Say... Jade Raymond tweeting that AC: Black Flag was coming out next week just so she could say to herself, "LAWL THOSE IDIOTS WHY WOULD THEY LISTEN TO ME?".

People would be mad.

Beckx

I don't know if this is trolling. I don't even know if I like this at all. He says the game's coming out next week, so Game Informer posts a blurb on it (that's hesitant to label it the truth). They check with the higher-ups, who say Kamiya was lying, so GI updates their article... and Kamiya sits in front of his computer cackling to himself?

It's just... kind of stupid. Any known name at a studio could do this, but they don't because they know it's stupid. I'd like to see how the reaction would differ if someone who wasn't Kamiya did this. Say... Jade Raymond tweeting that AC: Black Flag was coming out next week just so she could say to herself, "LAWL THOSE IDIOTS WHY WOULD THEY LISTEN TO ME?".

People would be mad.

Yes, if those were actually the facts, it might be weird. Those are, in fact, not the facts.

Burt

Yes, if those were actually the facts, it might be weird. Those are, in fact, not the facts.

What, in fact, are the facts? In fact, it would in fact aid my understanding of the facts if you could please explain the facts.

Beckx

What, in fact, are the facts? In fact, it would in fact aid my understanding of the facts if you could please explain the facts.

Next week...on NeoGAF...

(In context, Kamiya didn't "lie" and "say the game would be out next week" - he made a joke he's made numerous times. No one "contacted his higher-ups" at PG or even Kamiya; bizarrely they asked nintendo. I guess you could come out of this thinking "theyshould be very careful not to say things that can be taken out of context and misconstrued", but that's a bit silly.)

RiverBed

Banned
Stuff like this is what gets hits.

I've been thinking about that. The 'just get hits' mantra may have worked in the past when online sites were starting up (and still true for small/new sites), but today, online news is a real thing. So if big sites write lackluster material and make obvious 'hit bait' posts, wouldn't that repel their viewership both new and established?

It really baffles me how the biggest entertainment industry in the world could have such pathetic level of journalism. I know entertainment in general is a joke, but to the level of gaming press today (I refuse to call it journalism)? ....just, wow.

Top Bottom