• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[KH2 spoils] rock impacts important part of body used to cover hole in neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I left this thread looking at some post venting their frustrations.

I come back looking at the stuff of legends.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I would not assume such things about Kingdom Hearts. When Goofy died in KH2, his body was probably invaded by an alternate universe version of him. In this other universe, there would be a bloody conflict where the ill King Mickey's shady adviser, Xeavidanus, outlawed believing in friendship. The citizens revolted, but the the military deployed an army of Goofies, mass-produced from cloning vats with upside-down black hearts on them. This conflict was dubbed la Guerre de la Gawrsh. When the KH2 Goofy died, his consciousness was swapped with one of those Goofy clones that also bit the dust at the exact same moment. This clone, who is revealed to be called Emptinoth, is spying on the gang and relays information to Malificent, whom he refers to as "Mommy". He starts doubting his mission throughout the course of KH3 though, as he slowly learns that friendship might be worth believing in after all.
How did you find the script to Kingdom Hearts 3

Lynx_7

These two posts should be quoted or referenced any time someone goes overly "muh spoilers" on GAF tbh. Good stuff.

I think the whole thread should be linked to be honest. The laughs, the tears, the insightful dialogues about pop culture, narrative and spoilers. The music.

It's the complete package, man. You need to go through that emotional journey before the pay off.

I guess I should specify in this particular case (not putting story details in thread titles) there are no down sides. It takes a minimum amount of effort and has a pretty beneficial effect. I understand not everyone will feel this way, but people who want to discuss spoilers are free to do so and people who want to avoid spoilers are able to make more informed decisions.

I agree with your general premise though, and think there definitely has to be give to the take. Outrage can often be ridiculous, and there's only so much you can ask of an entire group of people with different ideas of what is and is not appropriate. I've seen it a lot, even on this forum. I just think there exists a happy middle ground, and that keeping thread titles a bit more vague can be a reasonable way to work towards it.

Except what the OP posted is not even an event that can be considered a spoiler. That's the whole point.

1. It doesn't change anything in the course of the story.
2. Goofy is in the publicly available KH3 trailers.
3. The only remotely significant thing it does is make you feel sad that Goofy met that "fate" (and only to be retracted not 15 minutes later). I mean, that is, if you're maybe 10 years old and is not genre savvy enough for that. Even then, WTH are you doing posting in GAF when the age limit for registering here is 13?

Even if the OP could have worded the title better ("Is the Goofy 'death' scene stupid or GOAT?"), it still does not change the fact that that scene is nowhere near spoiler territory if we're gonna use a smidgen of common sense and shouldn't even warrant a serious "OMG mark that spoiler!" reaction from anyone.

Age isn't a sensical metric; cultural relevance (ie "I am you father") and common sense/courtesy is what dictates what should be spoiler-tagged or not

Common sense would say that the scene the OP mentioned is not even spoilery by any regular people's standards considering that Goofy's in the sequel and that's available for the public to see, and Disney has never killed a flagship character (and by this I mean Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, etc) in any Disney-related media that I know of. And that's not in a "they have never done so SO FAR" sense. I mean, they just won't. Same as how Nintendo won't ever kill Mario in a plot-related incident. Lastly, It's been years since I last played KH2 but I don't remember that Goofy scene ever becoming relevant to the story. Hell, I even forgot that scene existed until now.

Philosophical question: Does it count as a spoiler if I've already beaten the game, but forgot about this scene, so in-turn, it's kind of been spoiled again?

unknown.png

FTFM

duckroll

I think the lesson that we hope that people will learn from mocking spoiler culture, is not that we should not respect each other when it comes to spoilers, but that it is very important to protect the practical concept of what a spoiler is, before it becomes nonsensical "feelings" without meaning.

I think that overall we try to be as responsible as possible when it comes to protecting people's experiences in a reasonable way. There are debates about whether gameplay spoilers are spoilers, and while not everyone would agree, things which are meant to be a surprise or not obviously stated or expected in a game, can reasonably fall under that guideline too.

What really becomes bothersome is when people let their preconception of how they could be spoiled dictate how they react to anything. That's a very bad habit and has to be corrected to operate in a community without seeming a bit, for lack of a better way to say this, insane or just annoying as hell. It's okay to hear or read something you think might be a spoiler for something you haven't experienced, have a "huh was that a spoiler?" moment, and then just move on and eject it from your mind. If you don't have a strong attachment to the work before, but suddenly let it bother you because now you think you know something you shouldn't, think of what a waste of time that is. Odds are when you eventually do consume that work, it's not even what you thought, or you will have forgotten it, or it was fucking nothing. Maybe it is a real spoiler, and maybe a part of the experience has be "ruined" but if it wasn't malicious and you still got a lot of enjoyment out of the work.... you would have saved so much concern and worry if you just... let it go from the start.

LET. IT. GO.

Life isn't about dodging spoilers, it's about enjoying all the other things which aren't spoiled.

Except what the OP posted is not even an event that can be considered a spoiler. That's the whole point.

1. It doesn't change anything in the course of the story.
2. Goofy is in the publicly available KH3 trailers.
3. The only remotely significant thing it does is make you feel sad that Goofy met that "fate" (and only to be retracted not 15 minutes later). I mean, that is, if you're maybe 10 years old and is not genre savvy enough for that. Even then, WTH are you doing posting in GAF when the age limit for registering here is 13?

Even if the OP could have worded the title better ("Is the Goofy 'death' scene stupid or GOAT?"), it still does not change the fact that that scene is nowhere near spoiler territory if we're gonna use a smidgen of common sense and shouldn't even warrant a serious "OMG mark that spoiler!" reaction from anyone.

I don't know how to respond to this other than to tell you what you consider a spoiler won't always be what others consider a spoiler, and keeping it out of the thread title is extremely easy. This seems to be more an argument of "I find these people's values silly" than anything else, and I'm sorry you feel that way. I just think given the amount of people that didn't like this a simple step that takes a few seconds isn't such a big ask. It's admittedly very hard to find out where the line is that's fairest to everyone, and I understand where your initial argument was coming from, though.

Maximo

I think the lesson that we hope that people will learn from mocking spoiler culture, is not that we should not respect each other when it comes to spoilers, but that it is very important to protect the practical concept of what a spoiler is, before it becomes nonsensical "feelings" without meaning.

I think that overall we try to be as responsible as possible when it comes to protecting people's experiences in a reasonable way. There are debates about whether gameplay spoilers are spoilers, and while not everyone would agree, things which are meant to be a surprise or not obviously stated or expected in a game, can reasonably fall under that guideline too.

What really becomes bothersome is when people let their preconception of how they could be spoiled dictate how they react to anything. That's a very bad habit and has to be corrected to operate in a community without seeming a bit, for lack of a better way to say this, insane or just annoying as hell. It's okay to hear or read something you think might be a spoiler for something you haven't experienced, have a "huh was that a spoiler?" moment, and then just move on and eject it from your mind. If you don't have a strong attachment to the work before, but suddenly let it bother you because now you think you know something you shouldn't, think of what a waste of time that is. Odds are when you eventually do consume that work, it's not even what you thought, or you will have forgotten it, or it was fucking nothing. Maybe it is a real spoiler, and maybe a part of the experience has be "ruined" but if it wasn't malicious and you still got a lot of enjoyment out of the work.... you would have saved so much concern and worry if you just... let it go from the start.

LET. IT. GO.

Life isn't about dodging spoilers, it's about enjoying all the other things which aren't spoiled.

And that great works of media are worth consuming even if you were spoiled on story moments, they are not simply defined by the *twists and shock value*.

Lynx_7

And that great works of media are worth consuming even if you were spoiled on story moments, they are not simply defined by the *twists and shock value*.
Also, knowing some tidbits of information beforehand might make you pick up on details and foreshadowing you otherwise might have missed had you watched it blind. It sucks when something legitimately important is spoiled to you because it robs you of that first raw reaction, but it shouldn't be enough to ruin a good story. Good narratives are so much more than that.

Of course, none of this really matters to Goofy getting hit by a rock.

Lynx_7

[KH2 spoils] mickey flustered by intense event, accidentally calls keyblade backwards

sensiblechuckle.gif

I actually only just rewatched the scene now and it's even goofier than I remembered.

Also, knowing some tidbits of information beforehand might make you pick up on details and foreshadowing you otherwise might have missed had you watched it blind. It sucks when something legitimately important is spoiled to you because it robs you of that first raw reaction, but it shouldn't be enough to ruin a good story. Good narratives are so much more than that.
People always say this. That's what my second viewing is for, not my first.

Twists and shock value aren't the (only) reason to avoid spoilers. Like I couldn't care less that I knew what happened in Split or Star Wars before seeing them. I actively seek out spoilers for MCU movies and Walking Dead episodes and discuss them in the spoiler threads before seeing them. But I tried to see The Witch as blind as possible.

Yes, a good story remains good even if you know what happens, I've enjoyed my favorite books/movies/show/games numerous times, but part of the thrill is enjoying the work as a whole, as it unfolds naturally and following along with the pacing and context of the work.

Lynx_7

Twists and shock value aren't the (only) reason to avoid spoilers. Like I couldn't care less if I knew what happened in Split or Star Wars before seeing them. But I tried to see The Witch as blind as possible

Yes, a good story remains good even if you know what happens, I've enjoyed my favorite books/movies/show/games numerous times, but part of the thrill is enjoying the work as a whole, as it unfolds naturally and following along with the pacing and context of the work.
I'm not arguing in favor of spoilers, I'm just saying that a story isn't ruined by it if you do happen to come across one. Specially when it can end up being something relatively minor within the larger context of the narrative, or it's pulled off in a way you might not expect. Sometimes people's reactions are incredibly disproportionate to the importance of what was just spoiled to them.

I don't know how to respond to this other than to tell you what you consider a spoiler won't always be what others consider a spoiler, and keeping it out of the thread title is extremely easy. This seems to be more an argument of "I find these people's values silly" than anything else, and I'm sorry you feel that way. I just think given the amount of people that didn't like this a simple step that takes a few seconds isn't such a big ask. It's admittedly very hard to find out where the line is that's fairest to everyone, and I understand where your initial argument was coming from, though.

It's more of like, "Using common sense, I can't believe people would consider this a spoiler" rather than saying people are silly for not agreeing with me/us that this doesn't warrant being considered as one While I agree that what one may consider spoiler might not be the same as another's, a common ground has to be established. Some put a statute of limitations. I've already written in an earlier thread what my criteria are. But I would think that, again, common sense should be used.

For example, branding the name of a sword or the name of a location a spoiler is ridiculous (barring it foreshadowing a plot point --- see my second post from this for an example); saying character A died or turned heel is not. The former happening more and more is what's causing the pushback against spoiler culture, and this thread is just a byproduct of that.

MoonFrog

Twists and shock value aren't the (only) reason to avoid spoilers. Like I couldn't care less if I knew what happened in Split or Star Wars before seeing them. But I tried to see The Witch as blind as possible

Yeah I mostly like being unspoiled and frankly I tend to prefer twists that I can at least half see coming. I want a strong narrative that is going somewhere. Sure sometimes people can turn things on their head in a totally organic way that makes you rethink what you thought you knew about a narrative, but that's hard to pull off well imo and usually the best twists aren't ones that surprise me, rather ones that confirm and sharpen a narrative.

What I like about not being spoiled is I like following that path of the narrative without my reading of it preconfigured by being spoiled. I like being taken wholly by the narrative itself to where it is going and not have to figure what I was getting from the narrative and what I was getting from knowing the end. Even if a twist is natural, you don't know it is going to happen.

That said, if I encounter a spoiler here it is almost always because I clicked where I probably shouldn't have clicked. Moreover, I don't expect to leave a discussion forum not sometimes encountering stuff I'd rather not know. But...I take that to be the risk of discussion in detail and for the most part GAF is pretty well marked.

It's the funniest scene in the entire franchise for me even though the game wants you to take it seriously lmao. I was dying for a good 3 straight minutes after Mickey's "They'll pay for this!"

TissueBox

LET. IT. GO.

https://youtu.be/8L86T6o8lZc

It's more of like, "Using common sense, I can't believe people would consider this a spoiler" rather than saying people are silly for not agreeing with me/us that this doesn't warrant being considered as one While I agree that what one may consider spoiler might not be the same as another's, a common ground has to be established. Some put a statute of limitations. I've already written in an earlier thread what my criteria are. But I would think that, again, common sense should be used.

For example, branding the name of a sword or the name of a location a spoiler is ridiculous (barring it foreshadowing a plot point --- see my second post from this for an example); saying character A died or turned heel is not. The former happening more and more is what's causing the push back against spoiler culture, and this thread is just a byproduct of that.

I pretty much agree with you, as I said prior, and I'm right there with you on gameplay details not being spoilers. I don't think this is necessarily as much a common sense issue as you make it out to be though, and that the content of the spoiler in this one particular case is largely irrelevant since the only real misstep in my opinion is placing story details in a thread title. Speaking personally, at this point I would put the onus on avoiding KHII spoilers more on those that do not want to be spoiled. The game is quite old, and if you go into a thread discussing KHII you're opening yourself up to a certain understood risk as a result of that age.

It's just that putting story details in the thread title doesn't really give someone the fair opportunity to avoid them, however big, small, relevant or irrelevant they might be. I can't think of a very good argument for it, where I think age could probably justify spoilers in the content of a thread known to be about KHII or otherwise marked for spoilers or whatever. A lot of people take each side to the extreme in a way that's fair to no one and I get the frustration, I'm mostly speaking of this specific case.

MoonFrog

it was me

it was me all along
Progressively spoiling the entirety of the game by title changes. Although tbh reading them i am somewhat curious about the game for the first time ever. The characters seem more unhinged and the scope more morbid than I thought they'd be.

ASaiyan

Banned
I used to spoil games for myself all the time before I'd finished playing them. Nowadays, I prefer to go into things blind - like, so blind that the two Pokemon that spawn in the first bush of Sun & Moon is something I don't want to know beforehand. But knowing this is my preference I will self-select away and blackout from the internet when these titles come around; people wanna talk about games and they're more than entitled to, it's my problem and not theirs. Recently I actually tripped over some spoilers for the final bosses of Sun & Moon and Persona 5 before finishing them, and that made me briefly shocked and sad, but I quickly exhaled and moved on. It didn't end up "ruining" the games for me, just some brief moments of surprise, and in the end I still loved my playthrough.

The original title of this thread was rather in your face and out of nowhere, in addition to being poorly worded as others have said. However, though I haven't played Kingdom Hearts, it seems clear from the OP that this isn't at all a major spoiler, but a little turnabout surprise in a 10 minute or so story section. I'd expect some low passion reactions to the effect of "Gosh OP, be a little more careful man" [*in the voice of Jeff Bridges as The Dude*]; that's probably what I'd do if I was shown a minor spoiler for a game I wanted to play, anyway. And the start of the thread was pretty much that. The overreactions, counterreactions, and parodies of both that followed are something else entirely.

That's my two cents contribution to this already legendary thread, lol.

Although tbh reading them i am somewhat curious about the game for the first time ever. The characters seem more unhinged and the scope more morbid than I thought they'd be.
If anything, this is what this thread has done for me too, lol.

nbraun80

agreed, didn't watch star wars until i was around 20 knowing full well of 'luke i am your father' line, didn't change a majority of the moments and enjoyment for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom