• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[KH2 spoils] rock impacts important part of body used to cover hole in neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
edit: on second thought, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe no need to joke about plot points in a thread where people are getting mad about spoilers

:(

Hektor

No, he is Xehanort from the distant future past from an alternate reality.

Just to avoid confusion,
do you mean Xehanort, Xehanort (pronounced chihanort), Terra-Xehanort, Ansem, Diz, No heart, Xemnas or Xemnas (pronounced chimnas)?

Actually spoilers

Pepboy

There is a hundred thousand times more story-driven content than you could ever plausibly consume in your lifetime, and more generated every second. What *is* the matter if some of it is "spoiled" for you? Spoiling does no harm to you in and of itself. The only reasonable personal concern about spoilers regards content you actually intend to consume, where the information revealed damages the experience you were hoping for.

Socially, considerations for your audience cannot realistically trend to "nothing can be spoiled," or life turns into a Key and Peele sketch. We rely on context and cues from cultural consciousness to determine what's acceptable in conversation.

A NeoGAF post can be tricky by comparison since any given post, or thread, will have thousands of diverse eyeballs on it, and we don't have the benefit of that real-world context, so we encourage (and in some cases, like currently airing TV show discussion threads, explicitly enforce) consideration about potentially spoiling others. However, this is a discussion forum, and without limits on what must be tip-toed around for the sake of an extreme edge case, we harm the capacity for and merit of discussion here.

You are not entitled to an impermeable protective bubble against all story details you haven't yet experienced first-hand -- anywhere -- and such a position would be detrimental to effective moderation here.

I mean its your forum so of course you can set whatever policy you want.

But I am curious, what in your mind is the cost of avoiding spoilers in thread titles?

The benefits seem pretty clear, spoilers upset some people who hope to play a game or were playing a game, as you outlined. I'm not saying everything needs to be spoiler​ free, but how would OPs thread been hurt by keeping it even a little vague in the title?

In this particular case, although most people could play KH2 13 years ago, many may not. Kh3 promotional material could mean a flashback sequence, or may be the spoiler sensitive would be avoiding such materials. Apparently this only spoils about 15 minutes of gameplay, but to what benefit does it accrue to the community?

Edit: put another way, could we get a way to mute selected threads from appearing? For example, I had previously muted OP but still saw a thread they created. If you aren't willing to ban over title spoilers, it might be nice to be able to preemptively exclude threads from muted folks. I didn't care about KH2 but I'm guessing​ other edge cases can be found by people like OP. Would also help me filter NeoGAF from threads I have 0 interest in, like Assassins Creed, Death by Standing, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

PrismStar

That video in the OP reminds me the fact that a majority of cutscenes in Kingdom Hearts series don't have any music. Really ruined many emotional cutscenes tbh I hope KH3 could improve this.

OP just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about spoiler culture
(I'm an expert)
, but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by
being an asshole
. If you spoil something on the internet, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the spoiler culture, after hearing about this,
is not going to want to play Kingdom Hearts 2, nor will they feel any magic if they decide to. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but OP has destroyed an entire experience with this move.

OP, publicly apologize and edit your post or you can kiss your thread making privileges goodbye.

Falk

that puzzling face
My personal take on the whole issue - no one's obliged to keep other's spoiler-free, but this goes more into the bigger umbrella of 'don't be jerks to other people who want a certain thing, if it's no skin off your back'. Other things under this umbrella called 'basic decency' is like you're not obliged to respond to a stranger asking for help in real life, but you don't need to go out of your way to be an ass to said person, either.

I think as far as moderation goes, we do what we can when it bugs a certain amount of people (maybe a very specific example here was myself trying to keep FFXV Uncovered event spoilers due to leaks out of a general discussion thread and contained in its own thread, in the hours leading up to the event) and we feel the moderation action adds up to a net benefit for a significant number of people, but I don't think any overarching 'policy' that everyone has to refer back to and adhere to is going to work simply due to the many factors and opines as to what constitutes an acceptable spoiler or not, as far as cultural relevance, time elapsed, etc. goes.

It's case-by-case, PM mods whenever something bugs you.

Also, WHERE'S THE NEW TITLE OLD MAN I NEED MY FIX

suddenly not as amusing when people know who's doing it

bigol

In KH2, a heartless causes rocks to fall, they hit Goofy on the head. Instead of checking his pulse or anything, they decide Goofy is dead and then Mickey literally says "they'll pay for this" and then you and Mickey going on a heartless killing rampage with several Final Fantasy protagonists (the only time where you fight alongside multiple FF characters in the entire series making it a Crowning Moment of Awesome... in what is supposed to be a sad moment).

It then turns out after you killed a bunch of that Goofy is actually alive. And then you do Kingdom Hearts Dynasty Warriors.

Genuinely though, I can't tell if this scene is supposed to be a parody of "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies" and death fakeouts or if it's played straight and is just abysmally bad. Is this scene the worst put together death fakeout in video game history? What are the worst death fakeouts in video game history?

The death fakeout in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XzlAwWkXQ

Seeking sense in Kingdom Hearts. This is nothing compared to the rest of the nonsense KH story is. And i like this series.

EDIT:Wait, the thread went for so long because of that "spoiler"?

CuNi

I just had classes and this is still going. Can someone help me catch up on the story that the title tells? Past 2h please.

Wazzy

Banned
This thread is full of some of the most bizarre reactions to a "spoiler" from years ago. I can understand stuff recently released but something from KHII? Seriously?

Edit: I love that it became a Goofy thread :lol

tumblr_inline_n4uuq6UALz1qg36k6.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1UhPMpWnc

I don't know how to feel

Linkura

Not going to comment on the spoiler issue, but OP is right, that is one of the dumbest things I've seen and makes me think I made a good decision in staying away from the series.

ramparter

Banned
It's very easy to defend the op for several reason (old game, not serious story, etc) but it would be easier for mods to have a general policy instead of examining per case. No spoilers in titles and everyone is happy.

ChazGW7

What really becomes bothersome is when people let their preconception of how they could be spoiled dictate how they react to anything. That's a very bad habit and has to be corrected to operate in a community without seeming a bit, for lack of a better way to say this, insane or just annoying as hell. It's okay to hear or read something you think might be a spoiler for something you haven't experienced, have a "huh was that a spoiler?" moment, and then just move on and eject it from your mind. If you don't have a strong attachment to the work before, but suddenly let it bother you because now you think you know something you shouldn't, think of what a waste of time that is. Odds are when you eventually do consume that work, it's not even what you thought, or you will have forgotten it, or it was fucking nothing. Maybe it is a real spoiler, and maybe a part of the experience has be "ruined" but if it wasn't malicious and you still got a lot of enjoyment out of the work.... you would have saved so much concern and worry if you just... let it go from the start.

LET. IT. GO.

Life isn't about dodging spoilers, it's about enjoying all the other things which aren't spoiled.

Could not agree more. The first page of this thread is a mess.

KAOz

Short bus special
It's very easy to defend the op for several reason (old game, not serious story, etc) but it would be easier for mods to have a general policy instead of examining per case. No spoilers in titles and everyone is happy.

Problem is that different people see various things as spoilers. Look at the "Man at Arms Sword of Artorias"-thread where the OP posted the title of the Youtube video and people went apeshit because a weapon that might or might not be in the game is a spoiler. Aswell as Artorias that might or might be a spoiler.

It would be really hard to find the exact definition in that case. I can understand "So and So dies" or "This happens", but people will still complain as they percieve spoilers differently.

Piers

This thread makes Kingdom Heart almost a gift
But yeah
Goofy getting hit by a random rock and Mickey thinking he's dead is one of the points where I loathed Square/Nomura's direction on the game.

Goofy and Donald in general miss a lot of their slapstick which is weird when the story could really use it. The only real slapstick I do recall is Donald freezing himself and...that was cut from KH2.

aravuus

Jesus Christ, I finished this damn game and none of this shit rings a bell at all.

Really? It's one of the sequences I've always remembered quite well, even though I also think the Goofy parts are too fucking goofy.

Maybe it's because you fight a real annoying asshole right before it and right after you have one of the cooler gameplay sequences of the series. Hard to forget.

Fake out or not, this was the most awesome moment in the series and I don't think it is diminished by it being a fake out really. The games, even up to that point, were basically nonsensical when it came to motivations anyway.

DNAbro

Played KH2 again recently and laughed pretty hard when he got hit. It was silly.

Also wow at number of pages in this thread.

Christhor

This thread makes Kingdom Heart almost a gift
But yeah
Goofy getting hit by a random rock and Mickey thinking he's dead is one of the points where I loathed Square/Nomura's direction on the game.

Goofy and Donald in general miss a lot of their slapstick which is weird when the story could really use it. The only real slapstick I do recall is Donald freezing himself and…that was cut from KH2.

There's quite a bit of slapstick in the first game actually, like Donald being crushed by the door that one time, both Donald and Goofy getting their asses kicked by tiny heartless after acting cocky that one time, Donald and/or Goofy not being allowed in boss zones because of invisible walls a couple of times.

The original got the Disney feel down a lot better than any of the sequels, especially before Donald and Goofy meet up with Sora, the the scenes in the intro at whatever the castle is called feels like classic Disney for the most part.

Falk

that puzzling face

Apparently it's also very easy to skim past the discussions on this exact issue.

Christhor

What...What is
Is this the plot for KH 3? Did the rock cause Goofy brain damage? Was Sora one of the murdered children? I never knew KH's supplementary material had such deep lore.

It's right in the video, the miscarriage made him like that.

I can't get over that Mickey swearing vengeance, triggering his anime transformation sequence and charging in to kill those bastards what got Goofy is a scene from a real video game.

Somebody conned Disney and Square-Enix into giving them millions of dollars to produce a game based on their fanfiction, and that someone managed to live the dream of countless teenage nerds the world over.

I was wondering why something like this had so many pages lol first page is laughable but surely ppl are discussing ops point and not complaining about spoilers for the next 17 pages right..right

ReiGun

I can't get over that Mickey swearing vengeance, triggering his anime transformation sequence and charging in to kill those bastards what got Goofy is a scene from a real video game.

Somebody conned Disney and Square-Enix into giving them millions of dollars to produce a game based on their fanfiction, and that someone managed to live the dream of countless teenage nerds the world over.

And that fanfiction became Square's #3 jrpg franchise.

Living the dream.

Apath

That looked like one of the worst cutscenes I have ever seen in a video game.
Terrible, forgetable, and has absolutely zero impact on the overall plot.

If this is considered a spoiler, mentioning any aspect of the game is a spoiler. Mentioning that Sora is in KH3 is a spoiler. If the thread title is a spoiler, no title can mention any specific plot element for any game, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom