• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[KH2 spoils] rock impacts important part of body used to cover hole in neck

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck kind of thread have I woken up to?

OP, it might've been a dick move to just spoil this when the PS4 collection has only been out a month or two, and people have finally gotten an opportunity to play through them all for the first time.

Also the point of the scene
isn't that Goofy's obviously not dead, it's the reactions of the others to get you hyped to fight hundreds of heartless along the FF crew and then Goofy joking about how he gets hurt all the time, referencing his classic cartoon history.

Haters can hate, it's a great sequence and KH is great.

Toxi

Banned
tumblr_mrwy42B1y21rammdzo2_1280.jpg

Edit: Oh wow this thread

Mijdax

Banned

OP, it might've been a dick move to just spoil this when the PS4 collection has only been out a month or two, and people have finally gotten an opportunity to play through them all for the first time.

isn't that Goofy's obviously not dead, it's the reactions of the others to get you hyped to fight hundreds of heartless along the FF crew and then Goofy joking about how he gets hurt all the time, referencing his classic cartoon history.

Thanks, at first I wanted to comment how good this part of the game is but then I realised that most people who hate this scene dont give the game and the setup a chance in the first place. They probably started it up like "meh donald and goofy has nothin to do with final fantasy.... square died with Final Fantasy [insert random number]... damn u square. [insert random niche jrpg company here] is much better than u." and they never tried to invest much into the world in which this scene and all the cheesyness makes total sense

Sotha Sil

Also the point of the scene isn't that Goofy's obviously not dead, it's the reactions of the others to get you hyped to fight hundreds of heartless along the FF crew and then Goofy joking about how he gets hurt all the time, referencing his classic cartoon history.

Glad you cleared that up

Alienous

I don't know why people think they're the ones who should dictate what others should and shouldn't know about an experience.

Minor or major it's just bizarre to me that people take authorship over how others experience something, based on what they deem to be spoilers.

Give people the fair chance to hear it from the game rather than from you, at their own pace. Just a little warning as all it takes.

I don't care to any significant degree, it just seems like proper decorum.

i haven't replayed KH2 nearly as much as KH1 due to a scratch ruining Hallow Bastion, and only recently getting a new disc as my brother and i are cooping through. i can't wait to get to this scene.

EDIT: this thread is a mess

Marcel

I don't know why people think they're the ones who should dictate what others should and shouldn't know about an experience.

Minor or major it's just bizarre to me that people take authorship over how others experience something, based on what they deem to be spoilers.

Give people the fair chance to hear it from the game rather than from you, at their own pace. Just a little warning as all it takes.

I don't care to any significant degree, it just seems like proper decorum.

Murasaki dies in The Tale of Genji. Sorry to spoil a Japanese epic from the 11th century but that's how it goes.

Ydelnae

The "Minnie is fucking goofy" joke and the judgement video have sent my sides to the realm of darkness and they now await to be rescued in a soon to be released spin-off

The "Minnie is fucking goofy" joke and the judgement video have sent my sides to the realm of darkness and they now await to be rescued in a soon to be released spin-off
Did you just spoil a plot point? Did I need to know your sides where in the realm of darkness? Nomura probably would've shown that off in kingdom hearts 4.6: aftermath of the halfway point saga.

Spoiler tag this mane

Alienous

Murasaki dies in The Tale of Genji. Sorry to spoil a Japanese epic from the 11th century but that's how it goes.

You're not making a compelling point, other than 'If I don't consider it a spoiler it isn't', which can be applied as easily to 11th century texts as it can to a video game from 5 years ago. Or why not 3?

Alternately you could just, y'know, not. If you're revealing something to me I either already know about it or I don't. If I know about it what's the point in telling me? If I don't know about it what's the point in telling me? To prove to me that you've read it? What's the reasoning behind not allowing me to have a choice in whether or not I care to hear it?

Like, I wouldn't just tell someone how a Shakespeare play wraps itself up. I have nothing to gain by hijacking the twists and turns. Things enter the public domain, sure, but I've never been in a situation where I couldn't preface a statement with "You've read Othello, right?" before revealing something about it, in an attempt to avoid reducing the experience of someone who might, however unlikely, one day on a whim go into a theater to watch it.

Nothing motivates you quite like not being able to take a character death seriously. It's incredibly stupid.

You can criticise things you love.

oti

Banned

"It's not about the scene being horrible. It's about this horrible scene motivating you to continue on with your adventure."

Dude, I love KH, but everything about this is garbage.

lmao all the spoiler hysteria
Anyways like most of KH you kinda just need to take the inherent silliness of Mickey despairing over the """death""" of Goofy and going to fight an army of evil shadow demons over it at face value. It's dumb but entertainingly so.

Ascenion

This is ridiculous. If anyone actually thinks Disney....freaking DISNEY for Christ sakes, is gonna let Goofy actually have anything serious happen to him in any property or media they have any direct or indirect control over they need a serious dose of reality.

This is ridiculous. If anyone actually thinks Disney....freaking DISNEY for Christ sakes, is gonna let Goofy actually have anything serious happen to him in any property or media they have any direct or indirect control over they need a serious dose of reality.

Doesn't make it any better

Nightfall

This is one of the best threads ever. Almost as good as the God of War 3 Zeus Battle thing.

And the thread title... genius!

vypek

That scene was absolutely hilarious to me from the actual fakeout to the immediate anger and revenge reactions

Sapientas

I'm loving all the responses from people who just want to be outraged over a nothing thing. As if any of you give a shit about KH or the KH story. Lol. Spoiler culture is toxic shit and the sooner Thanos claims all your souls the better.
duckroll tells it like it is. I'm just praying here those first few pages were sarcastic reactions, cause if not I'm done.

Since I'm super late to the party, has anyone compiled a list of the edited thread titles? I've sadly only seen the most recent one.

People always say this. That's what my second viewing is for, not my first.

Twists and shock value aren't the (only) reason to avoid spoilers. Like I couldn't care less that I knew what happened in Split or Star Wars before seeing them. I actively seek out spoilers for MCU movies and Walking Dead episodes and discuss them in the spoiler threads before seeing them. But I tried to see The Witch as blind as possible.

Yes, a good story remains good even if you know what happens, I've enjoyed my favorite books/movies/show/games numerous times, but part of the thrill is enjoying the work as a whole, as it unfolds naturally and following along with the pacing and context of the work.

I actively avoid spoilers for new stuff. I really hate when youtube starts showing me all gamexplain videos like "all kirby bosses" (not hating on them, i love their content), I like to discover them while I play. Heck, i also actively avoid listening to music before I play the game. But I'm also able to let go if I get spoiled somehow.

That being said, I personally believe time is the biggest factor in all of this, at some point you have to let go and realise it's been 12 long years. Heck, 12 years ago I was 14, a kid. If it's something like Fire Emblem Echoes which has never been officially a avaible in English up until a few months ago I might understand a bit (though the game itself starts with a huge spoilerish scene lol), but KH2 is such a well-known game that you have to start expecting to not be invulnerable to spoilers after a point in time.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
While I personally don't care about Kingdom Hearts spoilers, it's amusing to me to see how selfish some folks can be.

Gaming didn't start and stop with your respective generation. That is to say, there are no doubt young people who either weren't alive when the original game released, or were too young to play through it. There were also a lot of people who either didn't own a PS2, or couldn't afford every game that released, whether it be a new release or a remaster.

This game just got a rerelease on PS4 not to long ago. There are people playing it for the first time. As silly as it seems, it's not too much to ask that spoilers not be posted in the thread titles. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to ask. If you don't want to spoil the thread contents, that's fine, but at least he considerate of gamers that may not be as old or you, or maybe haven't played the game before. You got to experience the spoiler moment fresh, and allowed to react to it how you did. Why not let other gamers get the same opportunity.

And no, it doesn't matter if it's an old game or not. Some people are experiencing it for the first time.

I mean, hell, I'm 37, and I still haven't beaten FFXII yet, and not for lack of trying (I bought it to play on my BC PS3, since I couldn't afford it when it released on PS2, then my PS3 died on me, twice, so I never beat it!), so I'm definitely still trying to dodge spoilers until I can play the remaster.

I just think it's a dick move to put spoilers in thread titles, even if it's a goofy scene like this, no pun intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom