• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead 'can fuck off into space' - Matt Lees talks about "Gigolo mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I watched the video, and here’s my reply. I haven’t read the entirely of the thread yet, so please excuse my if I’ve missed something already written here! Also keep in mind this is my personal opinion, and is in no way reflective of XSEED Games, my employer.

- "You seduce women in a bar using X-Ray glasses."
Untrue. Mondo is modeled after James Bond ("Mondo" and "Bond" sound the same in Japanese), and his escapades with women were meant to be a reflection of the "man every woman wants" thing. Basically, as you progress through the game, women will call Mondo and beg for a date. You can go on these dates in locations that vary depending on the girl, not just bars, and yeah, you do what a dude who has only one thing on his mind does (not saying every dude, just that kind of dude) and stare at her a hell of a lot. The glasses are not used to seduce; they're used in a couple of ways, including as 'x-ray' glasses and to also look inside of her heart and figure out her likes and dislikes so you can give her gifts that she likes. It’s worth noting you can get by just fine without them.

- "She's referred to as a 'target'"
This is a half-truth. This is not a game where Mondo finds a chick and literally beelines towards her and relentlessly hits on her. The entire game is presented on a world map of sorts, and you scroll through various locations where you choose your missions. 'Targets' are the character you are directly interacting with for said mission, and it is used to describe both the girls in Gigolo Mode as well as your targets of execution in story mode. It's not exclusively to the women as the video makes it sound and shouldn’t be interpreted in a negative light.

- "By look at her breasts and crotch, she will, of course, like you more."
Worded incorrectly. It's true that you're basically ogling your date while she isn't looking, but if she catches you, she'll be hella pissed off. There's a meter on the right that's indicative of her mood, and if you stare too much, you obviously won't be having a very good date by the end. Some of these endings are pretty hilarious, and if you’re not into this whole Gigolo Mode thing, you might find them to be sweet justice.

- "If you are successful at checking out her nips, you gain the ability to use gigolo glasses."
Incorrect. Again, the glasses are unlockable or available as pre-order DLC.

- "ludicrously proportioned"
As a female, I'll say that's actually wrong as well. I actually changed the measurements myself in the English version to be a more accruate and proportionate reflection of their character models, since I know a thing or two about female measurements.

- "The more you stare at this woman's bosoms, the more you learn what her favorite things are"
Incorrect. The gigolo glasses DO tell you the things that she likes whether you decide to stare at her lingerie or not (hell, you can look to the side if you're uncomfortable for that part). You can also get a good idea of what each girl likes based on, well, them. Obviously a girl like Koharu, who is presented as very demure, is probably not going to like a flashy watch, and obviously a go-getter like Natalia isn't going to have any interest in a cute baby doll as a gift. Gift-giving is so ridiculously over-the-top like the rest of the game, and it's silly as all get-out. Don’t take it seriously, have fun with it.

- "But the selection of things that these women like is downright offensive."
Flowers - Not sure about how offensive giving a single red rose to a girl is. Cliche, yes, but hardly offensive.
Booze - You buy her a drink, it’s presented in the same manner as other gifts. You can give a Schnapps bottle as a gift though, but I don’t know, booze is a pretty sweet gift.
Money- INCORRECT, COMPLETELY INCORRECT. You can give a commemorative gold coin, and it does not translate to cash. You DO NOT giving cash to your dates as gifts. I cannot believe how inaccurate this is.
Worth noting that other gifts are like a Japanese fan, chewing gum, or a necklace. This video pulls pulls out the ones he finds offensive and sort of abstracts them.

- "They give you a present"
True, but he's making it sound like a trade, like, “Hey, thanks for the sex, here’s something in exchange.” The girls declare that they made a gift exclusively for you, which can be pretty interesting items. It's silly, but I interpreted Natalia as one badass chick when she made me a Drill Arm. Like, a complex device you attatch to your mechanical arm to bust walls and fight enemies. Coooooool.

- "Not about waving a flag of gender equality"
I have to admit, I hate this kind of card being pulled. Not every damn game has to be politically correct. This game actually does have characterized women outside of Gigolo Mode, including your boss whom you respect because she's business-smart and no-nonsense, your upbeat assistant, an elegant, mysterious woman, as well as targets for execution and clients who hire you to do the executing during story mode. In fact, more women are in story mode than in Gigolo Mode.

This is also Mondo’s story, a guy designed to be charismatic who cuts off heads and travels the world (and the moon, the freaking moon) for a living and meets beautiful women in the process. It’s not meant to be a politically correct game and doesn’t even try to pretend it is, which, I think, is far more offensive. And since I’ve played quite a few SUDA 51 games, I can say he’s never the type to be that politically correct in any of his work anyway- this game is, completely, a SUDA title. Is it kind of stupid? Yeah, it definitely is. You’ll either laugh at it or feel slightly uncomfortable; I was the former, as, like with anything else in a game that has tiger tattoos coming to life and unicorns and a Hansel and Gretel/Alice in Wonderland house, I noticed it was completely ridiculous. Purposefully so.

This video also doesn’t note that these missions, while a chance to gather unique and useful gifts, is completely optional. If you don’t like it and just want to play through the story? You can do that, it’s no problem. The story itself is high action, fast and furious, and full of unlockable abilities and twists and turns that do not ever require you to go on dates or try to ‘get lucky’.

I’m not going to say it’s wrong to be offended by it, but I also think he was giving misinformation and also taking it way too seriously, especially when he had some of the context of the game to go off of.
Well, I guess that's that.

I'm never surprised when someone misconstrues information to suit their needs. Thought Matt was better than this.

It's gameplay that is actually respectable in a suda directed game

That remains to be seen. So far, it looks like Lolipop Chainsaw with more colors, and more cringe-worthy attempts at humor. It's got a cool concept and a lot of style, which keeps me interested, but with a lot of reservations.

Again... this Matt Lees dude was simply using a controversial topic for hits to his video. His reactions, his lying, his molding of the truth. It all reeks of "I got this one in the bag" Especially with the fact that the game isn't even out to the general public, probably figured no one could defend it. If it's an opinion piece he surely could have waited to release this video AFTER the game was available to everyone.

Video game journalism 101.

abadguy

Banned
That remains to be seen. So far, it looks like Lolipop Chainsaw with more colors, and more cringe-worthy attempts at humor. It's got a cool concept and a lot of style, which keeps me interested, but with a lot of reservations.

It looks nothing like Lollipop Chainsaw, a game that Suda didn't even write by the way, ( that was James Gun) gameplay actually looks a lot better. Gameplay looks closer to NMH and aesthetically looks like a prettier Killer 7.

I watched the video, and here’s my reply. I haven’t read the entirely of the thread yet, so please excuse my if I’ve missed something already written here! Also keep in mind this is my personal opinion, and is in no way reflective of XSEED Games, my employer.

Untrue. Mondo is modeled after James Bond ("Mondo" and "Bond" sound the same in Japanese), and his escapades with women were meant to be a reflection of the "man every woman wants" thing. Basically, as you progress through the game, women will call Mondo and beg for a date. You can go on these dates in locations that vary depending on the girl, not just bars, and yeah, you do what a dude who has only one thing on his mind does (not saying every dude, just that kind of dude) and stare at her a hell of a lot. The glasses are not used to seduce; they're used in a couple of ways, including as 'x-ray' glasses and to also look inside of her heart and figure out her likes and dislikes so you can give her gifts that she likes. It’s worth noting you can get by just fine without them.

This is a half-truth. This is not a game where Mondo finds a chick and literally beelines towards her and relentlessly hits on her. The entire game is presented on a world map of sorts, and you scroll through various locations where you choose your missions. 'Targets' are the character you are directly interacting with for said mission, and it is used to describe both the girls in Gigolo Mode as well as your targets of execution in story mode. It's not exclusively to the women as the video makes it sound and shouldn’t be interpreted in a negative light.

Worded incorrectly. It's true that you're basically ogling your date while she isn't looking, but if she catches you, she'll be hella pissed off. There's a meter on the right that's indicative of her mood, and if you stare too much, you obviously won't be having a very good date by the end. Some of these endings are pretty hilarious, and if you’re not into this whole Gigolo Mode thing, you might find them to be sweet justice.

- "If you are successful at checking out her nips, you gain the ability to use gigolo glasses."

As a female, I'll say that's actually wrong as well. I actually changed the measurements myself in the English version to be a more accruate and proportionate reflection of their character models, since I know a thing or two about female measurements.

- "The more you stare at this woman's bosoms, the more you learn what her favorite things are"
Incorrect. The gigolo glasses DO tell you the things that she likes whether you decide to stare at her lingerie or not (hell, you can look to the side if you're uncomfortable for that part). You can also get a good idea of what each girl likes based on, well, them. Obviously a girl like Koharu, who is presented as very demure, is probably not going to like a flashy watch, and obviously a go-getter like Natalia isn't going to have any interest in a cute baby doll as a gift. Gift-giving is so ridiculously over-the-top like the rest of the game, and it's silly as all get-out. Don’t take it seriously, have fun with it.

Flowers - Not sure about how offensive giving a single red rose to a girl is. Cliche, yes, but hardly offensive.
Booze - You buy her a drink, it’s presented in the same manner as other gifts. You can give a Schnapps bottle as a gift though, but I don’t know, booze is a pretty sweet gift.
Money- INCORRECT, COMPLETELY INCORRECT. You can give a commemorative gold coin, and it does not translate to cash. You DO NOT giving cash to your dates as gifts. I cannot believe how inaccurate this is.
Worth noting that other gifts are like a Japanese fan, chewing gum, or a necklace. This video pulls pulls out the ones he finds offensive and sort of abstracts them.

True, but he's making it sound like a trade, like, “Hey, thanks for the sex, here’s something in exchange.” The girls declare that they made a gift exclusively for you, which can be pretty interesting items. It's silly, but I interpreted Natalia as one badass chick when she made me a Drill Arm. Like, a complex device you attatch to your mechanical arm to bust walls and fight enemies. Coooooool.

I have to admit, I hate this kind of card being pulled. Not every damn game has to be politically correct. This game actually does have characterized women outside of Gigolo Mode, including your boss whom you respect because she's business-smart and no-nonsense, your upbeat assistant, an elegant, mysterious woman, as well as targets for execution and clients who hire you to do the executing during story mode. In fact, more women are in story mode than in Gigolo Mode.

This is also Mondo’s story, a guy designed to be charismatic who cuts off heads and travels the world (and the moon, the freaking moon) for a living and meets beautiful women in the process. It’s not meant to be a politically correct game and doesn’t even try to pretend it is, which, I think, is far more offensive. And since I’ve played quite a few SUDA 51 games, I can say he’s never the type to be that politically correct in any of his work anyway- this game is, completely, a SUDA title. Is it kind of stupid? Yeah, it definitely is. You’ll either laugh at it or feel slightly uncomfortable; I was the former, as, like with anything else in a game that has tiger tattoos coming to life and unicorns and a Hansel and Gretel/Alice in Wonderland house, I noticed it was completely ridiculous. Purposefully so.

This video also doesn’t note that these missions, while a chance to gather unique and useful gifts, is completely optional. If you don’t like it and just want to play through the story? You can do that, it’s no problem. The story itself is high action, fast and furious, and full of unlockable abilities and twists and turns that do not ever require you to go on dates or try to ‘get lucky’.

I’m not going to say it’s wrong to be offended by it, but I also think he was giving misinformation and also taking it way too seriously, especially when he had some of the context of the game to go off of.
Very informative post. Thanks :)

The bold part sounds very promising.

Lunar15

I do think its sad that japanese video games have to increasingly rely on sex and perverted stuff to sell their games, but mainly because their games are often really good, or are at least grounded in good basics.

I hope this can change over time, but it doesn't look good.

KTallguy

Banned
I know, that's what I'm saying. Talking about how they should focus on combat instead is perfectly valid, and I agree with that.

Of course I don't expect anything close to that. My first reaction to the first trailer of Killer is Dead was "please don't suck", so yeah, not high standards for a game from those guys when it comes to combat, but it would be wonderful to have Platinum-quality gameplay in a game with this beautiful art direction.

Yeah... well. I played it at E3 and it's not terrible! I actually enjoyed myself after I got used to it. Very visually confusing at first. Very No More Heroes inspired mechanically, with some added oomph... basically.

As for the schlocky minigame/scene:

1. God of War is essentially the same thing.
2. Everyone knows that Suda is a T&A perv., it's the same as Tarantino's foot fetish.
3. Japanese people are more accepting of pandering in general, and this isn't being published by EA.
4. This stuff is plenty offensive but it has a right to exist.
5. There are a lot of pandering/male gazey games in the industry already so it's more fuel for the fire.
6. Once enough games on the other side of the spectrum are made, and the industry stops being dominated by male power fantasy/T&A/headshots/oogling, people will stop complaining, because the oogling will be a small part of the overall industry.
7. I didn't buy Lollipop nor Shadows but I'm interested in this game. I hope it turns out well.

PS: Can you stop quoting that entire post? It's huge.

Marjar

Banned

I'm very glad this was posted.

And I'm very disappointed in Matt Lees now. At least he makes good E3 videos.

prwxv3

Discussion shouldn't be dismissed but people are barking up the wrong tree here. This IS exploitative, no question, but that's the point. It's trashy anime exploitation. Asking for anything more from this game is like asking for movies of the same ilk to not be exploitative or objectify women/men as sex objects. It's tongue in cheek, it's ridiculous, it's cheap, it's B movie, it's dumb. This game doesn't mean the downfall of Suda 51 nor should it necessarily be a target for this feminist uprising we've seen in recent years. It's a niche title for a niche market that has just as much right as any other immature toned game to exist.

You want to argue woman's roles and how they're treated in games, go look at games trying to be even slightly serious but still objectify the female characters or dress them up in nonsensically sexual clothing. I'd love to see female characters treated with the same "respect" that male ones are, but Killer Is Dead is not the kind of game I'm going to take up arms against.

This.

So he was blatantly wrong on most of it and gave us all the wrong context. Lovely.

Bricky

So why does Killer is Dead need to fall into the higher standard TLOU category and not the SR3 category? Why does SR3 get a free pass?

It doesn't need to fall in the TLOU category (which treats every possible offensive subject as mature as it gets in a video-game), but we should have a certain standard when it comes to something like sexism and women in gaming. Saints Row 3 get's a free pass because it IS offensive and over-the-top when it comes to subjects like violence and sexism, but doesn't act like it ISN'T being offensive. It's very self aware in that sense. The whole point of the Saints Row franchise is 'being extremely over-the-top and offensive', which like South Park, makes a lot of things which are usually offensive a lot less offensive (which is quite ironic when you think about it). There is a subtle yet important difference though between 'being silly/wacky/not serious' like Suda 51 games and 'being completely over-the-top'' like Saints Row. The latter allows you to do almost (there are always some lines you can't cross) anything while remaining acceptable since you are pretty much offending everything anyway, while just 'being silly' doesn't justify any of that. You can put racism in South Park, you can't put racism in The Simpsons
(or at least not to the same degree, but I hope you catch my drift)

It's just Suda... of all people... if someone think this is out of place for Suda, I think they never got what he was about.

Everything that's ever been in a grindhouse film from the 60s or 70s: gore, girls, sex, leather jackets, machetes, rape, monsters, badasses, revenge..... you should fully expect each and every one of these things referenced in a Suda game at some point.

Doesn't excuse it, if you are offended by those things. But the "I've lost respect for Suda now".... really??

Being honest here; I've never played through most of Suda 51 games, so I'm not gonna act like I know why he wasn't offended by him before. I guess it is because he, like most gamers, doesn't really care about a bit of sexism, violence etc. without context but this is just tasteless. Once again; the fact that it's 'a Suda 51 game' or just a game in general doesn't justify anything.

Pretty much unenforceable without resorting to censorship by force.

I don't like censoring artistic expression.

I'm completely against censorship and if you ask me people like Suda 51 should be able to create whatever the fuck they want. I'm only saying I would like to see a general change in people's stance on subjects like this. Not to the point where they overreact like Matt Lees, but at least to the point where we can all agree this isn't okay just because 'it's a video game guys!'. I'm not acting like 90% of the gamers still have that opinion, but it should become the exception rather than something a lot of people still use as an argument in cases like this.

Oh Kettle why are you so black?

Allright, I agree that makes me a bit of a hypocrit. :p I was refering to people who used 'his games are still great' as arguments though, while my own post simply pointed out that this guy knows his stuff and isn't some 'dumb nobody' some people mad him out to be. The '(and funny)' made it seem biased though and wasn't really needed anyway.

I literally laughed out loud at the capitalisation of "RESPECTABLE", what a ridiculous turn of phrase.

Why so? I wanted to emphasize that word since that is the only thing Matt Lees attacks Suda 51 on, not his career or anything else.

psykomyko

You just set off a nuclear fucking bomb on this joke of a video.

After reading this, the video comes off even more ridiculous with the scene of him throwing dollar bills at a female version of himself on the couch. My eyes just rolled out of my head.

Yup.

Tellaerin

I just watched the video.

Matt Lees' rant came off as hyperbolic and a little silly. The "gigolo mode" he described made me shake my head and chuckle. It sounds like an ironic take on the singles bar scene more than anything. A fair number of people - of both genders - go out to bars and clubs looking for casual hookups, rather than searching for a soulmate. It's kind of hard for me to get bent out of shape over the fact that the game has you controlling a "playa", or that you can charm female characters you meet at bars into the sack. It's not like this doesn't happen every day in the real world. I think making that interactive is an interesting way of presenting that side of the character, and it's interesting to see how people will respond to that.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that Suda51 didn't take it further, requiring players to navigate dialogue trees and choose the most effective pickup lines to get their "targets" in the sack rather than just trying to check them out without getting caught. Make it a more pointed satire of the whole "pickup artist" subculture. Though I suppose the fact that the minigame's mainly focused on covert perving says something about the protagonist's personality too, which leads back to my earlier point.

Yeah, this video was definitely some sensationalist crap. He made it sound a fuck ton worse than it was and definitely misconstrued things to fit his agenda.

Edit: Christ this was overblown on his part.

dubq

It doesn't need to fall in the TLOU category (which treats every possible offensive subject as mature as it gets in a video-game), but we should have a certain standard when it comes to something like sexism and women in gaming. Saints Row 3 get's a free pass because it IS offensive and over-the-top when it comes to subjects like violence and sexism, but doesn't act like it ISN'T being offensive. It's very self aware in that sense. The whole point of the Saints Row franchise is 'being extremely over-the-top and offensive', which like South Park, makes a lot of things which are usually offensive a lot less offensive (which is quite ironic when you think about it). There is a subtle yet important difference though between 'being silly/wacky/not serious' like Suda 51 games and 'being completely over-the-top'' like Saints Row. The latter allows you to do almost (there are always some lines you can't cross) anything while remaining acceptable since you are pretty much offending everything anyway, while just 'being silly' doesn't justify any of that. You can put racism in South Park, you can't put racism in The Simpsons

Still don't understand why you are inferring that it's okay for SR3 because it IS about being offensive and over-the-top.. how do you figure KisD isn't the same? Having a giant drill arm that you use to eviscerate the worlds most dangerous criminals, who then spray fountains of blood, seems pretty fucking over the top to me.

JordanN

Banned
Seems like a Suda video game.

Also, I don't get how the money thing is offensive. Does the game really say only women like money or women are incapable of liking it? I'm sure if I presented a $1000 to a girl, she'll take it in a heart beat. But this speaks for all humans, not a gender.

I was about to say I love you but someone else already beat me to it, amazingly.

Instead I'll just say I love Senran Kagura & Katsuragi. Thank you for this post~~

I don't think it's 'highly subjective'. There will always be people who don't get it, but it's usually pretty obvious when a work is taking a particular stance as a way of proving a point, rather than simply expressing those views wholeheartedly.

I've seen too many artists being labeled as fascists, nazis, sexists, pedophiles, necrophiles, misogynists, homophobic, heterophobic and what not, and rarely has it ever been anything more than an offended moral horizon. And it's always subject to concurrent or adapted moral and cultural values. Stuff like Triumph des Willens or Birth of a Nation both saw a lot of different cultural and moral values that they were compared against, despite both being blatant racist works.

But that's the thing. Art means different things to different people in different places at different times. It's intentions are secondary to what society does with it. To condemn any single approach to deliver whatever message an artist might have is a complete disregard for how culture in itself works.

Vice

Being honest here; I've never played through most of Suda 51 games, so I'm not gonna act like I know why he wasn't offended by him before. I guess it is because he, like most gamers, doesn't really care about a bit of sexism, violence etc. without context but this is just tasteless. Once again; the fact that it's 'a Suda 51 game' or just a game in general doesn't justify anything.

I'm completely against censorship and if you ask me people like Suda 51 should be able to create whatever the fuck they want. I'm only saying I would like to see a general change in people's stance on subjects like this. Not to the point where they overreact like Matt Lees, but at least to the point where we can all agree this isn't okay just because 'it's a video game guys!'. I'm not acting like 90% of the gamers still have that opinion, but it should become the exception rather than something a lot of people still use as an argument in cases like this.

Suda's games are about as nonsensical and over the top as Saints Row. I say this as a fan of both.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
He's basically calling Hatsuu a liar then?

I don't think so, no. He tweeted that a couple hours ago, before Hatsuu's post.

Honestly though, I just feel like Matt's going off of Youtube videos for all his info on Gigolo Mode. Hatsuu or H.Protag: have review copies started going out yet? I'd imagine not.

Xamdou

Who is this Matt Lee guy? He literally just bashed Suda's next big game. I am waiting to see Suda's hilarious response to this guy's Killer is Dead preview!

antitrop

I don't think so, no. He tweeted that a couple hours ago, before Hatsuu's post.

Honestly though, I just feel like Matt's going off of Youtube videos for all his info on Gigolo Mode. Hatsuu or H.Protag: have review copies started going out yet? I'd imagine not.
I never even thought about that, I was actually assuming that this guy had a review copy this entire time.

I don't even know when this game is coming out, I don't want to play it. If this guy hasn't even played the game yet then... Jesus Christ. My head would explode.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I never even thought about that, I was actually assuming that this guy had a review copy this entire time.

I don't even know when this game is coming out, I don't want to play it. If this guy hasn't even played the game yet then... Jesus Christ. My head would explode.

The game's still like a month away. That seems a little early for people to have review copies.

Erethian

It'd be nice if we could go back to the days when a Suda/Grasshopper game involved talking about the indecipherable plot and visual imagery, instead of how hypersexualised the female characters are or how blatant the marketing relies on sex to sell the game.

But I think the days of Grasshopper doing sound work for other titles so they can put together a shoestring budget for something from the fevered mind of Suda (with minimal sales prospects) is long gone.

EVOL 100%

GHM isn't even trying these days and I'm very disappointed about the direction this game seems to be going but this guy blatantly lying doesn't jive with me.

Nanashi

Banned
Interestingly, I was reading through the 4gamer interview with Yasuda Yoshimi and it seems like the gigolo glasses were entirely his idea and had nothing to do with Goichi Suda.

Edit: Here's the full quote for proof.

安田氏:
 ジゴロミッションの「ジゴログラス」ってありますよね。服が透けて見えるやつ。実は,あれは僕の考案なんですよ。

Also:

安田氏:
 そうです。もし,このまま実装していたら間違いなく“発売禁止”になってたでしょうね。新さんは,とても気さくで温厚な人なんですが,この時ばかりは本当に怒ってましたね。彼とはそれまですごく仲良くやっていたのに,少しだけ険悪なムードになりました。「角川ゲームスさんも,とことんやろうって言ったじゃないですか!」なんて言われて(笑)。

Seems that there was a bit of internal conflict over the adult nature of the game too, so I'd abstain from the black/white "Japanese are all perverts" vibe that I see in this thread.

Gbraga

I think he did play it, at least a preview copy.

dubq

He says they have a "preview" copy in the video..

MormaPope

Banned

Quoting this excellent post because this info needs to counter the ridiculous soapbox Matt Lees is standing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom