• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead 'can fuck off into space' - Matt Lees talks about "Gigolo mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so, no. He tweeted that a couple hours ago, before Hatsuu's post.

Honestly though, I just feel like Matt's going off of Youtube videos for all his info on Gigolo Mode. Hatsuu or H.Protag: have review copies started going out yet? I'd imagine not.

Certainly none from XSEED. We're not the EU pub, though.

Tellaerin

I watched the video, and here’s my reply. I haven’t read the entirely of the thread yet, so please excuse my if I’ve missed something already written here! Also keep in mind this is my personal opinion, and is in no way reflective of XSEED Games, my employer.

(snip)

Wow. Just wow.

Before I read this, I thought Matt Lees was overreacting to something that seemed fairly innocuous. Now it looks like he deliberately misrepresented these segments of the game, which seem even less controversial than I imagined. (Being able to "look into someone's heart" to see what kinds of things they like actually seems kind of sweet, and it makes a helluva lot more sense than "you get clues by checking out her boobs".)

Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight.

KoopaTheCasual

Interestingly, I was reading through the 4gamer interview with Yasuda Yoshimi and it seems like the gigolo glasses were entirely his idea and had nothing to do with Goichi Suda.

Edit: Here's the full quote for proof.

Also:

Seems that there was a bit of internal conflict over the adult nature of the game too, so I'd abstain from the black/white "Japanese are all perverts" vibe that I see in this thread.

Aw man, now I feel bad. I was so ready to accept the glasses as Suda being extra pervy, but I'm glad he had nothing to do with the decision.

antitrop

Honestly, I'm not even sure what a preview copy is.. is it just a DVD with videos? Is it a single stage demo? No idea.
Whatever it is, it better have a fucking playable Gigolo Mode. It sounds like it does, as he states he couldn't record any of his own footage of it.

Pretty sure he played it, but obviously not to the full extent of the context.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sure, but before they responded most of us felt it was accurate as well.

Let's just wait to hear what he has to say.

If he replies here, it won't be for several more hours. His latest tweet says he's going to bed for the night. I tweeted Hatsuu's post to him, though. Here's hoping he shows up.

Wow. Just wow.

Before I read this, I thought Matt Lees was overreacting to something that seemed fairly innocuous. Now it looks like he deliberately misrepresented these segments of the game, which seem even less controversial than I imagined. (Being able to "look into someone's heart" to see what kinds of things they like actually seems kind of sweet, and it makes a helluva lot more sense than "you get clues by checking out her boobs".)

Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight.

I guess a certain outlet won't be getting further Xseed games for review from here on out?

ive picked plenty of girls up even started relationships just from oogling. not getting caught but wanting them to know you are. and trying to see into their hearts. meh

i thought shadows of the damned was a good throwaway title for dry periods. i still might get this for the same purpose.

hackdog

Banned
So he's calling the game shit because of an optional mode about mondo wanting to have sex with women. A mode that mirrors what takes place in real life bars where people regularly go to meet people of the opposite sex and have indiscriminate sex afterwards.
I don't fucking understand this dude.
Have you ever convinced a woman to sleep with you just by ogling her breasts?

Levito

Banned
You know I love Suda51, and I'd like to believe Killer is Dead's "Gigolo mode" isn't just pathetic pandering.... But ugh doesn't look that way.

Given some of the messaging in Shadows of the Damed(Parodying the damsel trope), and Lollipop Chainsaw(Objectifies men rather than women), I'm surprised he even wants his name attached to this.

dubq

Whatever it is, it better have a fucking playable Gigolo Mode. It sounds like it does, as he states he couldn't record any of his own footage of it.

Pretty sure he played it, but obviously not to the full extent of the context.

I would also like to know if he played an English version with English content and instructions, or just muddied his way through an untranslated Japanese "preview" copy.

Bricky

Still don't understand why you are inferring that it's okay for SR3 because it IS about being offensive and over-the-top.. how do you figure KisD isn't the same? Having a giant drill arm that you use to eviscerate the worlds most dangerous criminals, who then spray fountains of blood, seems pretty fucking over the top to me.

Suda's games are about as nonsensical and over the top as Saints Row. I say this as a fan of both.

It is hard to find the right words to make clear what I want to say, because of course they are both 'over the top' when we're talking about if they are ridiculous or not, but lets just say people actually being offended by something differs from something being offensive. I don't think anything in Saints Row 3 can be seen as offensive since the game doesn't act like it isn't offensive. If you asked Saints Row 'is this offensive?' it would reply 'of course it is, now turn your brain off and enjoy it'. If you asked the same question to Killer is Dead about Gigolo mode specifically however, I'm not sure if from what I've seen and read about it here if the reply would be the same or if the game is actually being offensive. If the latter is true, then I'm not okay with people saying 'it's just a video-game' as an justification.

Because of the above, my opinion is that Saints Rows 'over the top and offensive' is okay, while Killer is Dead's 'over the top and offensive' concerning Gigolo mode isn't. That's why we should remain open to have games like Saints Row 3, but shouldn't go as easy on something like gigolo-mode.

I hope you understand me this time. :p

Xamdou

I watched the video, and here’s my reply. I haven’t read the entirely of the thread yet, so please excuse my if I’ve missed something already written here! Also keep in mind this is my personal opinion, and is in no way reflective of XSEED Games, my employer.

- "You seduce women in a bar using X-Ray glasses."
Untrue. Mondo is modeled after James Bond ("Mondo" and "Bond" sound the same in Japanese), and his escapades with women were meant to be a reflection of the "man every woman wants" thing. Basically, as you progress through the game, women will call Mondo and beg for a date. You can go on these dates in locations that vary depending on the girl, not just bars, and yeah, you do what a dude who has only one thing on his mind does (not saying every dude, just that kind of dude) and stare at her a hell of a lot. The glasses are not used to seduce; they're used in a couple of ways, including as 'x-ray' glasses and to also look inside of her heart and figure out her likes and dislikes so you can give her gifts that she likes. It’s worth noting you can get by just fine without them.

- "She's referred to as a 'target'"
This is a half-truth. This is not a game where Mondo finds a chick and literally beelines towards her and relentlessly hits on her. The entire game is presented on a world map of sorts, and you scroll through various locations where you choose your missions. 'Targets' are the character you are directly interacting with for said mission, and it is used to describe both the girls in Gigolo Mode as well as your targets of execution in story mode. It's not exclusively to the women as the video makes it sound and shouldn’t be interpreted in a negative light.

- "By look at her breasts and crotch, she will, of course, like you more."
Worded incorrectly. It's true that you're basically ogling your date while she isn't looking, but if she catches you, she'll be hella pissed off. There's a meter on the right that's indicative of her mood, and if you stare too much, you obviously won't be having a very good date by the end. Some of these endings are pretty hilarious, and if you’re not into this whole Gigolo Mode thing, you might find them to be sweet justice.

- "If you are successful at checking out her nips, you gain the ability to use gigolo glasses."
Incorrect. Again, the glasses are unlockable or available as pre-order DLC.

- "ludicrously proportioned"
As a female, I'll say that's actually wrong as well. I actually changed the measurements myself in the English version to be a more accruate and proportionate reflection of their character models, since I know a thing or two about female measurements.

- "The more you stare at this woman's bosoms, the more you learn what her favorite things are"
Incorrect. The gigolo glasses DO tell you the things that she likes whether you decide to stare at her lingerie or not (hell, you can look to the side if you're uncomfortable for that part). You can also get a good idea of what each girl likes based on, well, them. Obviously a girl like Koharu, who is presented as very demure, is probably not going to like a flashy watch, and obviously a go-getter like Natalia isn't going to have any interest in a cute baby doll as a gift. Gift-giving is so ridiculously over-the-top like the rest of the game, and it's silly as all get-out. Don’t take it seriously, have fun with it.

- "But the selection of things that these women like is downright offensive."
Flowers - Not sure about how offensive giving a single red rose to a girl is. Cliche, yes, but hardly offensive.
Booze - You buy her a drink, it’s presented in the same manner as other gifts. You can give a Schnapps bottle as a gift though, but I don’t know, booze is a pretty sweet gift.
Money- INCORRECT, COMPLETELY INCORRECT. You can give a commemorative gold coin, and it does not translate to cash. You DO NOT giving cash to your dates as gifts. I cannot believe how inaccurate this is.
Worth noting that other gifts are like a Japanese fan, chewing gum, or a necklace. This video pulls pulls out the ones he finds offensive and sort of abstracts them.

- "They give you a present"
True, but he's making it sound like a trade, like, “Hey, thanks for the sex, here’s something in exchange.” The girls declare that they made a gift exclusively for you, which can be pretty interesting items. It's silly, but I interpreted Natalia as one badass chick when she made me a Drill Arm. Like, a complex device you attatch to your mechanical arm to bust walls and fight enemies. Coooooool.

- "Not about waving a flag of gender equality"
I have to admit, I hate this kind of card being pulled. Not every damn game has to be politically correct. This game actually does have characterized women outside of Gigolo Mode, including your boss whom you respect because she's business-smart and no-nonsense, your upbeat assistant, an elegant, mysterious woman, as well as targets for execution and clients who hire you to do the executing during story mode. In fact, more women are in story mode than in Gigolo Mode.

This is also Mondo’s story, a guy designed to be charismatic who cuts off heads and travels the world (and the moon, the freaking moon) for a living and meets beautiful women in the process. It’s not meant to be a politically correct game and doesn’t even try to pretend it is, which, I think, is far more offensive. And since I’ve played quite a few SUDA 51 games, I can say he’s never the type to be that politically correct in any of his work anyway- this game is, completely, a SUDA title. Is it kind of stupid? Yeah, it definitely is. You’ll either laugh at it or feel slightly uncomfortable; I was the former, as, like with anything else in a game that has tiger tattoos coming to life and unicorns and a Hansel and Gretel/Alice in Wonderland house, I noticed it was completely ridiculous. Purposefully so.

This video also doesn’t note that these missions, while a chance to gather unique and useful gifts, is completely optional. If you don’t like it and just want to play through the story? You can do that, it’s no problem. The story itself is high action, fast and furious, and full of unlockable abilities and twists and turns that do not ever require you to go on dates or try to ‘get lucky’.

I’m not going to say it’s wrong to be offended by it, but I also think he was giving misinformation and also taking it way too seriously, especially when he had some of the context of the game to go off of.

Thanks for responding Haatsuu!

This Matt guy is full of shiet, making a preview based on false information and even going as far as making a parody of it which itself isn't even funny. Preview's are suppose to be positive but his is just plain video game slander.

Can't wait for Suda's response to Matt.

I am not sure I agree with this guy because every male deserves that 14 year old moment in video games not everything needs to be PC, Mature and Respectable in games targeted as dudes going through puberty

I had my GOLGO 13 moment I'm just thinking if I was still 14 years old this mode would be just the thing for my 14 year old self. The review guy even said he played Hentai when he was 14 so yeah sounds like some bullshit

where are the men in this world? Stop the hypocrisy and men up to your perversions before you become one of those dark creeps who does real harm in society

Certainly, it looks like we've got another Dragon's Crown situation here, made worse by employees of the US publisher turning up and pointing out where he's wrong.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Do note that he's in Deep Silver's jurisdiction. He also has a GAF account, so remind me to bump this thread tomorrow and lead him in here for a formal response.

Yeah, I found that out after that post you quoted. I also tweeted him Hatsuu's post, so we'll see what happens.

Also, doing a quick search, all the previews I've seen around the web have been E3 previews. I'm honestly not trying to call Matt a liar here (hell, about two months ago I made a thread titled "Matt Lees (Videogamer.com) is awesome"), but the "preview copy" thing just sounds extremely suspect to me. Especially since Videogamer is a much smaller site than say, Eurogamer.

IrishNinja

Sounds like Suda51. I don't see anything wrong with it.

exactly...juvenile humor in a suda game?! after shadows of the damned?
its almost as weird as hearing people upset with the state of other folks picking each other up in bars/clubs for one-night stands, what's that about

wait this guy's on about fedorabros on his twitter now, okay cool we can just swap stereotypes i guess

- "You seduce women in a bar using X-Ray glasses."
Untrue. Mondo is modeled after James Bond ("Mondo" and "Bond" sound the same in Japanese), and his escapades with women were meant to be a reflection of the "man every woman wants" thing. Basically, as you progress through the game, women will call Mondo and beg for a date. You can go on these dates in locations that vary depending on the girl, not just bars, and yeah, you do what a dude who has only one thing on his mind does (not saying every dude, just that kind of dude) and stare at her a hell of a lot. The glasses are not used to seduce; they're used in a couple of ways, including as 'x-ray' glasses and to also look inside of her heart and figure out her likes and dislikes so you can give her gifts that she likes. It’s worth noting you can get by just fine without them.

- "She's referred to as a 'target'"
This is a half-truth. This is not a game where Mondo finds a chick and literally beelines towards her and relentlessly hits on her. The entire game is presented on a world map of sorts, and you scroll through various locations where you choose your missions. 'Targets' are the character you are directly interacting with for said mission, and it is used to describe both the girls in Gigolo Mode as well as your targets of execution in story mode. It's not exclusively to the women as the video makes it sound and shouldn’t be interpreted in a negative light.

- "By look at her breasts and crotch, she will, of course, like you more."
Worded incorrectly. It's true that you're basically ogling your date while she isn't looking, but if she catches you, she'll be hella pissed off. There's a meter on the right that's indicative of her mood, and if you stare too much, you obviously won't be having a very good date by the end. Some of these endings are pretty hilarious, and if you’re not into this whole Gigolo Mode thing, you might find them to be sweet justice.

- "If you are successful at checking out her nips, you gain the ability to use gigolo glasses."
Incorrect. Again, the glasses are unlockable or available as pre-order DLC.

- "ludicrously proportioned"
As a female, I'll say that's actually wrong as well. I actually changed the measurements myself in the English version to be a more accruate and proportionate reflection of their character models, since I know a thing or two about female measurements.

- "The more you stare at this woman's bosoms, the more you learn what her favorite things are"
Incorrect. The gigolo glasses DO tell you the things that she likes whether you decide to stare at her lingerie or not (hell, you can look to the side if you're uncomfortable for that part). You can also get a good idea of what each girl likes based on, well, them. Obviously a girl like Koharu, who is presented as very demure, is probably not going to like a flashy watch, and obviously a go-getter like Natalia isn't going to have any interest in a cute baby doll as a gift. Gift-giving is so ridiculously over-the-top like the rest of the game, and it's silly as all get-out. Don’t take it seriously, have fun with it.

- "But the selection of things that these women like is downright offensive."
Flowers - Not sure about how offensive giving a single red rose to a girl is. Cliche, yes, but hardly offensive.
Booze - You buy her a drink, it’s presented in the same manner as other gifts. You can give a Schnapps bottle as a gift though, but I don’t know, booze is a pretty sweet gift.
Money- INCORRECT, COMPLETELY INCORRECT. You can give a commemorative gold coin, and it does not translate to cash. You DO NOT giving cash to your dates as gifts. I cannot believe how inaccurate this is.
Worth noting that other gifts are like a Japanese fan, chewing gum, or a necklace. This video pulls pulls out the ones he finds offensive and sort of abstracts them.

- "They give you a present"
True, but he's making it sound like a trade, like, “Hey, thanks for the sex, here’s something in exchange.” The girls declare that they made a gift exclusively for you, which can be pretty interesting items. It's silly, but I interpreted Natalia as one badass chick when she made me a Drill Arm. Like, a complex device you attatch to your mechanical arm to bust walls and fight enemies. Coooooool.

- "Not about waving a flag of gender equality"
I have to admit, I hate this kind of card being pulled. Not every damn game has to be politically correct. This game actually does have characterized women outside of Gigolo Mode, including your boss whom you respect because she's business-smart and no-nonsense, your upbeat assistant, an elegant, mysterious woman, as well as targets for execution and clients who hire you to do the executing during story mode. In fact, more women are in story mode than in Gigolo Mode.

This is also Mondo’s story, a guy designed to be charismatic who cuts off heads and travels the world (and the moon, the freaking moon) for a living and meets beautiful women in the process. It’s not meant to be a politically correct game and doesn’t even try to pretend it is, which, I think, is far more offensive. And since I’ve played quite a few SUDA 51 games, I can say he’s never the type to be that politically correct in any of his work anyway- this game is, completely, a SUDA title. Is it kind of stupid? Yeah, it definitely is. You’ll either laugh at it or feel slightly uncomfortable; I was the former, as, like with anything else in a game that has tiger tattoos coming to life and unicorns and a Hansel and Gretel/Alice in Wonderland house, I noticed it was completely ridiculous. Purposefully so.

This video also doesn’t note that these missions, while a chance to gather unique and useful gifts, is completely optional. If you don’t like it and just want to play through the story? You can do that, it’s no problem. The story itself is high action, fast and furious, and full of unlockable abilities and twists and turns that do not ever require you to go on dates or try to ‘get lucky’.

I’m not going to say it’s wrong to be offended by it, but I also think he was giving misinformation and also taking it way too seriously, especially when he had some of the context of the game to go off of.

avatar quote for that ether, goddamn
someone should forward this to that nobody the OP is on about

dubq

It is hard to find the right words to make clear what I want to say, because of course they are both 'over the top' when we're talking about if they are ridiculous or not, but lets just say actually being offended by something differs from something being offensive. I don't think anything in Saints Row 3 can be seen as offensive since the game doesn't act like it isn't offensive. If you asked Saints Row 'is this offensive?' it would reply 'of course it is, now turn your brain off and enjoy it'. If you asked the same question to Killer is Dead about Gigolo mode specifically however, I'm not sure if from what I've seen and read about it here if the reply would be the same or if the game is actually being offensive. If the latter is true, then I'm not okay with people saying 'it's just a video-game' as an justification.

You're really splitting hairs with this line of commentary. Play the game in August and then come back and tell us whether or not the game "doesn't act like it isn't offensive." Right now, there's no sense in even debating it as one game is readily available and the other is not.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Instead I'll just say I love Senran Kagura & Katsuragi. Thank you for this post~~
I love Katsuragi!! She's such a badass, a real bro's bro.

Hey XSEED, can you bring Drakengard 3 for us?
I would give my first born to have my name on a Drakengard title. I imagine S-E will bring it over, though.

It'd be nice if we could go back to the days when a Suda/Grasshopper game involved talking about the indecipherable plot and visual imagery, instead of how hypersexualised the female characters are or how blatant the marketing relies on sex to sell the game.
So we had dinner with Suda and Shin (The producer) after E3, and since I've played the game more than anyone else, I had a lot of questions. This game is EVERY bit about crazy-ass plot theories. Before then I rambled to my co-workers and flooded their chats with crazy theories every time I replayed the game. I asked the two of them so many questions that our translator, my good co-worker, proclaimed that I was testing his Japanese. Suda just looked at me by the end and was like, "Wow...Y-You've thought about this a lot." They were both incredibly kind and real sports about my million and a half questions. Even got approval from the man himself for my measurement changes!

(Being able to "look into someone's heart" to see what kinds of things they like actually seems kind of sweet, and it makes a helluva lot more sense than "you get clues by checking out her boobs".)
It's not really romantic, honestly. The game is definitely sexual in nature over romantic. You get to see what they like thanks to the glasses, but the idea is that you can only see it thanks to the glasses (see through their clothes, into their hearts, etc.). I wouldn't look too deeply into that quote.

Gbraga

I would give my first born to have my name on a Drakengard title. I imagine S-E will bring it over, though.

Really? I'm not so sure after they complained about Tomb Raider selling millions. I hope you're right though. Or maybe not so you can get your name on a Drakengard title :D

Wensih

Really looking forward to Killer is Dead. It's a day 1 buy for me. I don't really care about this bar minigame. This whole sexism thing happens everytime a woman is featured in a videogame. It's just sensationalism now.

Bricky

You're really splitting hairs with this line of commentary. Play the game in August and then come back and tell us whether or not the game "doesn't act like it isn't offensive." Right now, there's no sense in even debating it as one game is readily available and the other is not.

Agreed, but this discussion wasn't really the point of my original comment anyway. My statement that we need a higher standard concerning possibly offensive subjects still stands without it. I only really used Saints Row to make clear non-serious, non-mature games should always keep a place in gaming.

Rubius

Great, more male feminist dribble. It's just getting sad at this point.

We need a female version where she look at his penis and jaw.
man-cleavage.jpg

Village

Thanks for responding Haatsuu!

This Matt guy is full of shiet, making a preview based on false information and even going as far as making a parody of it which itself isn't even funny. Preview's are suppose to be positive but his is just plain video game slander.

Can't wait for Suda's response to Matt.

Thats not true.

Gbraga

So we had dinner with Suda and Shin (The producer) after E3, and since I've played the game more than anyone else, I had a lot of questions. This game is EVERY bit about crazy-ass plot theories. Before then I rambled to my co-workers and flooded their chats with crazy theories every time I replayed the game. I asked the two of them so many questions that our translator, my good co-worker, proclaimed that I was testing his Japanese. Suda just looked at me by the end and was like, "Wow...Y-You've thought about this a lot." They were both incredibly kind and real sports about my million and a half questions. Even got approval from the man himself for my measurement changes!

And this is very very interesting, I really wasn't expecting that. I hope you can share your thoughts on a possible KID Spoiler Thread, looking forward to that. Do you have any info on a possible PSN release?

FourMyle

I kind of find myself agreeing with the people who think this is an overreaction. That said, Suda's gimmick of making these super wacky, hyper-sexualized games is kind of a drop in the bucket seeing just how staggering the amount of games which also fit into that category is.

But then again a lot of the people who completely dismiss this as "just another case of people being over-PC" will react the same way when something that's clearly racist/sexist and worth fighting against is brought up.

And quite frankly, I'd rather be thought of as part of the PC brigade than a republican/conservative drone who denies the suffrage (whether by being ignorant or just a bigot) of anyone who isn't like them, because I am as far from that as is possible. So I think the game deserves some criticism. Although it looks like the guy was wrong about a few things..

The Hermit

I trust Suda51 more than whats-his-face, so yeah, I will play and then see what's that all about.

Since I´ve played almost all his game I am pretty sure most of it are tongue-in-cheek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom