• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima's new game will be published by Sony, is also coming to PC, not Silent Hill

A lot of questions asked, a couple answered.

A PS4 console exclusive title, being published by SCE on console. Not really shocking news. Would have been very shocking if it were published by Microsoft and an Xbox One console exclusive.

Well, I look forward to seeing more about this game in the coming year(s).

Beefy

It's pretty amazing that some people are so insecure that they call for a ban on factual statements so that their sensibilities are not offended.

No.

It's just an estimation (or a "guess" if you want) based on the fact that -- unlike some people, seemingly -- I don't for a second believe that any publicly traded corporation does anything for any other reason than self-interest.

Sony are publishing it aren't they? So more sales would be a good thing for them?

so last gen people got angry when ms was moneyhatting certain projects, and this gen, people love sony for moneyhatting sf5 and this new thing.

am i missing something?

great to hear that kojima found a new home/found a new studio.

The reason people were upset was MS was busy paying studios to not release games on other platforms instead of funding new Ips.Towards the end of 360 lifecycle there was only Halo 4 while Sony kept pumping out first party IP's.

Well that and there is a difference between moneyhatting and funding/publishing a game.Atleast dont abandon exlusive inhouse IPs its lazy and only hurts the gamers.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They probably wanted Silent Hills so they could cash in those overreaction views, anyway.

Hey, I wanted Silent Hills because I'm a huge horror enthusiast who loves the world of horror, and P.T. was extremely promising. Though to be honest, if the project does get revived not related to SH and under a new name, I'd be quite happy, since my biggest problem with the project ironically was it having the Silent Hill name.

There are passionate horror lovers out there, like myself. And most of us are on PC, since horror only really existed on PC for the last 10 years with a few exceptions, and most horror games release/released on the platform during the last few years.

maxiell

Sony could keep this off PC if they wanted to, and prohibitive cost is not the reason. The whole point of Kojima's relationship with Sony going forward is that he is not told what he has to do with the game by other people.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jesus, Tizoc knew what he was doing calling the pc version definitive. It was bait to get people riled up. I'm sure it will be the best version, but look at what the thread now.

I'm glad this is coming to PC too, and hope he's given the freedom to do what he wants and isn't pressured in to doing a metal gear or silent hill like.
The issue is posts like that set a narrative. It's bad form and does nothing productive for the conversation. Jokes can be jokes at the right time. There was nothing really compelling or funny about staying what is known.

Durante

Sony are producing it aren't they? So more sales would be a good thing for them?
Well, if Sony will be publishing the eventual PC version, then this would be the reason. That would still be self-interest, of a different kind.

I expect more of a Alan Wake situation, with Sony publishing on console and the developer self-publishing on PC later on.

kneePat

Well, look how the thread turned out, just a war between plattforms.

I just see people saying 'Yes! I get to play this on my PC and I think it will be the definitive experience', and then other people have become upset by this. It's not some indictment against the PS4 to be of the opinion that playing it on the PC is better for them. This thread is great news.

SparkTR

Sony could keep this off PC if they wanted to, and prohibitive cost is not the reason. The whole point of Kojima's relationship with Sony going forward is that he is not told what he has to do with the game by other people.

I'm pretty sure it was Sony's decree there not be an Xbox version.

Good. I am curious if Sony will publish the PC version or of it will be self published on Steam. I wonder who owns the IP. Also interesting to point out its a 1 game deal and not Sonys standard 3 game deal but I guess Kojima is not your run of the mill developer you give the standard contract too. Doesnt rule out that they could extend to multiple games but I guess KP wants to keep options open and its just a interesting observation.

Now lets ruin a fun day with PC master race bullshit because everyone LOVES that.

MtZ9N.gif

entremet

Not quite.

People were obviously happy that Kojima's new game was coming to the PC.

That's the point of the topic!

Officially announcing that it will come to PC.

If they called it superior, so what?

That's their opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

Again, I don't get the defensiveness. People can't express that opinion?

BPoole

I'm super interested to see what Kojima has in store. He must have so many ideas that he could never make come into fruitition within the Metal Gear series.

LiquidMetal14

Not quite.

People were obviously happy that Kojima's new game was coming to the PC.

That's the point of the topic!

Officially announcing that it will come to PC.

If they called it superior, so what?

That's their opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

Again, I don't get the defensiveness. People can't express that opinion?
This isn't official. It's likely but until then I would consider this a rumor.

Well, if Sony will be publishing the eventual PC version, then this would be the reason. That would still be self-interest, of a different kind.

I expect more of a Alan Wake situation, with Sony publishing on console and the developer self-publishing on PC later on.
Considering Sony is already announcing a PC version, doesn't it imply that the publishing deal involves it? Seems kinda weird to announce that the game will come out for PC if they have no hand in it.

Of course it's self-interest, but so is everything in this industry. Partial exclusivity is likely cheaper and there's money to be made on PC without cannibalizing PS4 sales, it's simple as that.

fantomena

I hope it will be a horror title and since I know Kojima is a huge sci-fi fan (he loves Star Wars) it would without a doubt have sci-fi elements in it.

Hektor

Why would PC gamers have a meltdown, isn't MGSV the only game from Kojima on PC? Or did PC gamers all of the sudden become massive Kojima fans lol?

Where is the Funhaus guy? -_-

lma fucking o.

Not only are MG1+2, MGS1+2+V on PC, the very first Metal Gears were originally MSX exclusives.

Quonny

I mean, do people think it's okay to go "can't wait to play this on my PS4 at 1080p instead of 900p on a Xbox for the better experience!" in a thread about a game going multiplatform?

That's bait. It's unnecessary. Even if it's true, you're just poking the other side for no reason. It might be unfairly harsh to PC gamers but there is the stigma of a superiority complex and everything they say will be taken in the worst possible way.

But who cares. I'll play it on my console and be happy, while those who care about getting the better experience will spend the money and get that experience. Everyone wins.

Teletraan1

Banned
It's not needed.

And having the definitive version is subjective based on the settings you can have the PC version on.

See, this discussion have completely destroyed the thread.

I game primarily on PC and never see the need to come into these threads swinging my dick around with smug language that is just there to rile people up and destroy any meaningful conversation. If you paid more than $299-399 for your PC then great enjoy your superior port because you paid for the ability to have it be superior. No shit the game should look/run better on more expensive hardware unless the developers were a total fuckup.

aravuus

All I'm seeing is one guy calling the PC version definitive and a bunch of others whining about weird stuff

I don't think calling the PC version superior is instigating platform wars or any bs like that, cause.. They kinda tend to be? Technically speaking.

I know the PC masterrace bullshit is insufferable, but I'm not seeing anything like that going on here.

I'm personally happy I'll be able to play the game on PC since it'll sooner or later run better than any console version, but it sounds like I'm not allowed to say I'm happy about it because of that

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He thinks he is so above it he doesn't even acknowledge "platform warriors". To him it's just "console warriors".

Aaand apparently he doesn't even think that even factual statements can make you look bad depending on context. Or at least pretends not to.

Its not whether PC technical superiority is factual* or not, its about whether somebody inferring that "their" version is going to be the best is annoying to everyone else.

The question was why "definitive" as a term is considered by some to be annoying, and I explained why.

*Which is why I referenced AK, as an example of an outlier case where the expected "technical superiority" is irrelevent.

LiquidMetal14

It's confirmed by a Sony employee in the OP.

It's not official PR if that is what you mean.

If it is a true rumor, the OP sure didn't label it as such.
I will get it on PC if multiplatform at launch but I definitely want to hear it in a more formal setting. A community manager has the scoop on something this big? I would think that something that someone more important would announce.

I mean, do people think it's okay to go "can't wait to play this on my PS4 at 1080p instead of 900p on a Xbox for the better experience!" in a thread about a game going multiplatform?

That's bait. It's unnecessary. Even if it's true, you're just poking the other side for no reason. It might be unfairly harsh to PC gamers but there is the stigma of a superiority complex and everything they say will be taken in the worst possible way.

But who cares. I'll play it on my console and be happy, while those who care about getting the better experience will spend the money and get that experience. Everyone wins.

This post sums it up nicely.

galvenize

Anyone care to comment on the "It's not Silent Hills" bit?

It'd be amazing if it turned out to be something like "umm yeah we're not making Silent Hills anymore, but I'm working on this new project in collaboration with Del Toro. Oh and we also have Norman Reedus."

Eolz

I will get it on PC if multiplatform at launch but I definitely want to hear it in a more formal setting. A community manager has the scoop on something this big? I would think that something that someone more important would announce.

It's not a scoop, since Sony's terminology has been pretty clear this year, and it has likely been done quickly to stop getting questions like these every day.

fantomena

Anyone care to comment on the "It's not Silent Hills" bit?

It'd be amazing if it turned out to be something like "umm yeah we're not making Silent Hills anymore, but I'm working on this new project in collaboration with Del Toro. Oh and we also have Norman Reedus."

I really hope it's some sci-fi horror title, at least a horror title.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Man, people should just avoid a thread if the topic make them sad.

What's the problem in people saying that the PC version possibly will be the "definitive" one? And seriously, definitive is such a subjective word.

If the game has a mp component and i prefer to play on consoles that makes it the definite version for me. If i'm the type of gamer that wants the technically best i'll choose the PC one, simply as that.

Common it's like being mad that someone says that a Ferrari is faster than an Corolla. It's just the way it is.

Top Bottom