• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

Qwyjibo

I had so much trouble buying and then downloading Killer Instinct for PC through the Windows Store. I'm not surprised people are staying away from it. At first I couldn't even see a "buy" link for the game. Just let me give you my money! Then after logging out and logging back in a few times for whatever account I needed to have, it finally came up only to time me out constantly. It was a mess.

Just a note, the game has worked perfectly once I finally was able to download and install it but I've never had that kind of a problem on ANY other digital PC service (Steam, Origin, Uplay).

I like this

That's why Gears UE is dead on PC

How long until Phil Spencer releases games on Steam?

I think MS is going to stick with the Windows Store until the end regardless if they could sell 98% more on Steam. The fact that the games are tied to UWP regardless is more of an issue than anything else because it restricts user-controlled modding by design.

Also, there aren't any 3rd party cd key sites to my knowledge that are selling games on the Window Store for cheap unlike Steam, Origin, and Uplay.

MS would be better to allow their UWP games to be sold on Steam and have them like Uplay games.

Good. Hopefully Quantum Break bombed hard too on PC. Not touched it since I bought it because of horrible performance/UWP. Remedy needs to get it out on Steam.

Nordicus

Just makes business sense for MS to earn 100% of 2% than 70% of 98% bros.
himZD0M.gif

LordRaptor

Also, there aren't any 3rd party cd key sites to my knowledge that are selling games on the Window Store for cheap unlike Steam, Origin, and Uplay.

That's because there is literally no functionality built into the store to support that; you can generate a limited number of 'promo' codes for an app, and that's it.

Again, even if you are conceptually fine with UWAs and what they represent, and consider the W10 store 'just another storefront", this is elementary level shit it doesn't get right.

Oh, but next big update includes download progress bars!

People are open (to varying degrees) to Battle.net, uPlay, Origin, GOG, buying Minecraft direct & countless MOBAs or MMOs with a standalone client.

It is a rejection of the Windows App Store more than it is people being exclusive to Steam.

Yeah, it's simply because the Windows App Store is complete garbage. Just like GFWL was. You'd think that someone at MS would say that they should at least be able to have a product that is better than their last attempt.

I like this

That's why Gears UE is dead on PC

How long until Phil Spencer releases games on Steam?

If their titles aren't selling as well then they better hurry or else they are just losing lots of potential cash.

I don't even think PC gamers have an issue with buying MS made games, it's more of an issue with the store itself that people are avoiding in it's current state.

Though I suspect that the decision is more than Phil Spencer call.

Three

They already have a 70% cut. Even 100% if they sell it from their site. I mean, it's downright stupid and it shows it. I don't see how in the world these 30% more compensate for 98% less sales.

Well it kind of doesn't especially as it clearly failed to attract people to the store but the aim for store exclusive games (RotTR isn't one) is/was to get people to use the store by force. If a high profile game is ONLY available on their store then you are more likely to sign up and use it. That, say, 740,000 (Steam RottR) lost sales may be made back by a %30 cut on 5,000,000 other games that group may buy over a lifetime. It was to get people to buy from them but it's really not panning out as they expected.

Grief.exe

Yeah, it's simply because the Windows App Store is complete garbage. Just like GFWL was. You'd think that someone at MS would say that they should at least be able to have a product that is better than their last attempt.

It's inexplicable to me that this is literally GFWL2, but worse in some aspects.

MCD

Store will get better with more games at least from MS.

Win10 anniversary update is making it better too. Time will tell if MS will keep pushing or give up halfway through.

Just makes business sense for MS to earn 100% of 2% than 70% of 98% bros.

You know, the funniest thing is they may have got 100% of 10 dollars copies instead of 70% of 50 dollars copies :")
100% of revenue on 2% of copies sold at 80% off :")

It's inexplicable to me that this is literally GFWL2, but worse in some aspects.

I don't see one aspect where it's better than GFWL or on par. It's literally worse everywhere.

Bl@de

Win10 anniversary update is making it better too. Time will tell if MS will keep pushing or give up halfway through.

Yep "//build" will make it super awesome guys. We promise...

Im gonna throw my wing of optimism here. Steam wasn't that great when it launched either. And I know MS should be held to a high standard and there is no reason for their lack of basic functionality.

But I'm sure MS will eventually make it close to the quality of what steam offers. I doubt they'll ever get where steam is but look at how they've improved the x1 interface?

I'm not buying anything from their store but I'm hopeful that it'll get better.

cyress8

Banned
If they did not screw up Games for Windows Live, they might have had better success selling on a new storefront. Too many remember the headaches from GFWL. I still cannot easily play GTA4 because of it.

Here's the problem: MS needs Win10 and UWP to be somewhat successful for them and their ongoing future plan. If this fails, what happens next?

Not really. I mean, they obviously want all their products to be part of one ecosystem. But, their phones are as dead as can be, so I doubt it will matter much. They still dominate the OS market either way.

Grief.exe

Great.

More Microsoft PC games stuck on some arbitrary DRM scheme.

619ViLelyYL.jpg

univbee

Well they gave up halfway through implementing DVR functionality into the Xbox One so the smart money is on waiting for them to deliver.

Nzyme32

Not particularly surprising. PC Gamers tend to latch onto Steam like it's their one true savior.

Which is nonsense when considering the success of everything that doesn't use Steam - including many of the most popular PC games, and even those that are on multiple services, such as Witcher 3 selling more on GoG than on Steam (at least in the first months according to GoG / CD Projekt)

LordRaptor

My enduring theory is after the Xbox division fucked GFWL up so badly that when they went cap in hand to Papa Real Microsoft asking for money to build an all new GFWL from scratch they were told to fuck off so they just latched onto the mobile appstore instead.

Aurongel

It's just crazy that the leader of PC operating systems can't make a decent online storefront for PC games.

They couldn't do it for Windows Store 5 years ago, the writing was on the wall since Windows 8 failed to light the world on fire with regards to its' integrated ecosystems.

Vertti

Good because it gives at least a little hope that some day Microsoft puts some effort on its pc store platform. I'm happy that xbox exclusives are also for W10 but not going to buy a single game before all problems are ironed out.

I know it probably means I'm never buying a game from windows store...

aeolist

Banned
thank god

can't imagine the alternate timeline where the store is a massive success on PC and microsoft has an even worse stranglehold on that platform

Cels

I'm still a little miffed that only the Win10 version has rumble trigger support. They should have made it available on steam too.

Oh well, the win10 version got the sales it deserved...

ZSeba

even if you think the concept of UWA is completely fine and that the W10 store is just another storefront;
- you can't preorder titles. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't buy it now.
- you can't wishlist titles. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't sign up for any follow up information like a release date.
- you can't view an unreleased titles landing page. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't even find out more information about it.
So all marketing campaigns outside of "THIS IS OUT NOW AND YOU CAN BUY IT NOW" are literally wasted money.

I mean, this is just elementary level shit

Also, developers have to wait for their patches to get certified by MS, going by what's been happening with Quantum Break

Zedox

Zedox LOL. I'm just playing.

LOL. smh.

I'm not surprised that RoTR would sell that much on Steam. Majority of users are there. I'm more surprised that people think that would it would be anything else like that. Especially how poorly the shape of the store is compared to Steam right now.

It's no surprise. A lot of people aren't going to leave Steam, a very popular service in which everyone has been involved in & invested in for years, just to buy games from the Windows store.

It's not realistic.

belmonkey

I was just thinking last night that a game that goes for $60 on the Windows store would be more profitable if sold on Steam for $10. I guess that was probably too optimistic.

wapplew

Here's the problem: MS needs Win10 and UWP to be somewhat successful for them and their ongoing future plan. If this fails, what happens next?

I don't think they'll give up half way. They already giving latest OS for free, they are betting on digital storefront to make money.

Top Bottom