• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Anth0ny

woooooooooooooooooooooow

As discussed plenty of times in other thread, the likes of Rime cost $10 more due to the cart prices. A $2-$4 increase in price for publisher means they need to increase price by $8-$10 to compensate for that increased charge.

I imagine we could either have

1) Full Game on a larger capacity cart costs $10 more than other versions, people pissed.
2) Part of game on cart, digital download required for rest, price parity, people pissed.

it's 1996 all over again

Shiggy

Out of all games a fucking Lego title comes with that type of caveat...lol ...

We will have to download 40gb of Fifa 18 data and 25gb for Skyrim because these publishers will be too cheap to use more expensive cards right ? lol

Look at the Rime thread and you'll see what happens when a Switch game is priced at a higher price than the PS4 and X1 versions.

Doomed either way.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well shit, that ends the debate about whether I should sell off my Wii U copy for this or not.

Something really rubs me the wrong way about forced data downloads. Whenever the Switch download servers are turned off, the cartridge is useless.

Griss

One day when Nintendo's servers are off the cart will be essentially worthless. What a joke.

Probably more than a decade from now, but still, one of the major advantages of physical media is its stable longevity.

Cleve

Where are all those "Just want it to work? Get a Nintendo!" folks.

Seriously, shit like this shouldn't pass cert. It was awful when tony hawk did it, and it's just as awful with this.

-shadow-

Wait... The game is 7GB and requires another 13GB download? I really hope Nintendo makes this impossible directly from now on, because like hell I'm going to be buying it like this!

This is nonsense...

a) It should let you opt for lower-res movies.
b) It's particularly shitty to pull this on a kids' game.

The cutscenes are all in real-time.

Look at the Rime thread and you'll see what happens when a Switch game is priced at a higher price than the PS4 and X1 versions.
Not sure if it ended up evolving into something else. But the problem most had was the fact that pulled that stunt and didn't just admit why. They hid behind some terrible excuse while they should've just been up front about it.

ASTROID2

Might as well just put a download code inside.

Fake edit: Wait a fucking minute. The Switch eshop says the game is 7.1 GB.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Guess I'm in the minority with a few others in here. I'd rather have pricing parity with all versions of the game instead of the "Nintendo tax" that many are griping about.

I look at it is a solid investment for my memory card for the Switch.

And I like collecting physical so I'll still buy the cartridge version.

Hope this does not become a trend. I was hoping a single 128gb SD card would be enough for the life of the console since i planned on buying physical versions of bigger games

This is a really gross precedent.

I was super interested in this and now I'm avoiding altogether. Lost a customer, WB.

Honestly, regardless of how well this game does, I can see this becoming a norm on switch very quickly.

I thought I would be able to put off getting a larger SD card for this thing by going mostly physical, but looks like I'll just have to get one sooner rather than later.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sincerly, I don't like this too much (and I'm being polite here) :(
And I fear WB won't even be punished (at least too much) at least for launch: this version of the game will sell far, far better than PS4/One.

nubbe

So they chose to go with the cheapest cart instead of the most expensive?

well, guess that's how big publishers strong arm to get down the media cost

That is some grade A bullshit.

What actually pisses me off most though is the implication for preservation of the game on Switch going forward. Yeah, iso files or whatever will probably be out there in the decades ahead, but if you get the physical Switch version of the game say, twenty years from now, and Nintendo don't have any support for its part of the eshop and games anymore... then this game is effectively rendered useless. If that were become a standard for physical games on Switch going forward - devs buying cheaper carts and making two thirds of their games download only - then that could be a huge chunk of the library completely fucked for post-lifetime usage. Even most PS4 and XBO titles will at least function with the base game on the disc, without any patches.

Guess I'm in the minority with a few others in here. I'd rather have pricing parity with all versions of the game instead of the "Nintendo tax" that many are griping about.

I look at it is a solid investment or my memory card for the Switch.

... What if their choice was either to do this or to not release a physical version at all? I mean, if they went download only no one would have been mad, so maybe that's kind of what they are doing while still pleasing the people who want a physical box? Is that a positive way of looking at it?

Perona

The Switch memory situation kinda annoys me more than the Vita's. SD cards are cheaper than Vita memory cards but with Switch games being actual console-y games they'll have bigger file sizes in general and eat through even a 128GB SD card pretty quick once more games come out. It's very likely that multiple will be needed.

Xando

Third Parties self-sabotaging their games on Nintendo consoles should just be expected at this point.Shame, because I was definitely going to buy this on the Switch.
It's not third party that decided to go with cartridges.

Either accept this or pay more switch tax.

This will affect sales massively. Online required on a 1 player game that's a physical release? Really?

Unfortunately it remains to be seen if enough people will actually care, and will it be possible to distinguish them caring about that from "people not caring about third party games on Switch", and won't those be the primary problem to WB anyway. It's weird Nintendo allowed this scheme in the first place, though I guess Tony Hawk 5 has set a precedent, sort of.

daffy

Banned
Did they really think this would slide? First off this game is old as gramama. Second its a full priced upres port. Thirdly no one else is doing this at this stage of the Switch lifecycle. I guess they thought we'd be starved enough to allow it.

But they thought wrong.

LAA

That's very sad.
Was leaning more towards getting it on the Switch at some point but moves like this...definitely doesn't persuade me.

The drawbacks of publishers being insanely greedy*.

I imagine this is a scenario where they either have the mandatory download, or price the game higher than the other platforms. They opted for the mandatory download. Why should they eat the cost on the Switch and make less per copy? Nintendo could step in and eat the cost for them, but they won't.

The drawbacks of publishers being insanely greedy*.

"Insanely greedy". It could be a significant added cost and we don't know how much those big carts cost. It's either do this or charge extra for the Switch version which also sucks. The storage situation on the switch is shitty and is a hidden cost for the consumer no matter how you look at it.

I imagine this is a scenario where they either have the mandatory download, or price the game higher than the other platforms. They opted for the mandatory download. Why should they eat the cost on the Switch and make less per copy?

LordKano

It's not third party that decided to go with cartridges.

Either accept this or switch tax.

No. The other alternative is the publisher acting like the others publishers and buy a bigger cart. There's no reason DQH1+2 is on a 32gb card and not this one.

ckaneo

Doomed either way.
We had a problem with them not giving us a straight answer on their prices.

If switch games cost more cause of carts, tells us it's because of carts. At least then the anger will be at Nintendo.

flkraven

Did they really think this would slide? First off this game is old as gramama. Second its a full priced upres port. Thirdly no one else is doing this at this stage of the Switch lifecycle. I guess they thought we'd be starved enough to allow it.

But they thought wrong.

What do you mean? It already 'slid'. This is how it's coming out.

Nintendo is going to have to make a difficult decision here. Do you potentially scare away publishers by forcing them to use larger and more expensive cartridges, or do you put it on the customer to pick up a SD Card and potentially damaging your reputation?

As for how you prevent that from happening, Nintendo could enforce a maximum download size for the first week of launch. I could see this getting ugly fast.

Cudos to WB for being a brilliant bastard of a publisher as always.

NSESN

I imagine this is a scenario where they either have the mandatory download, or price the game higher than the other platforms. They opted for the mandatory download. Why should they eat the cost on the Switch and make less per copy?
Why shitch players should deal with this bullshit?

I look at it is a solid investment for my memory card for the Switch.

I'm not too bothered by it but I don't think cartridge price is any reason to bump up the price of the game. If Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 (a game only being sold in Japan) can warrant a 32GB game card then WB can with a worldwide release. They probably just want to keep costs as low as possible, which means inconveniencing the consumer. Something like this doesn't kill me interest in the game because, well, I want the game. But I do think WB are being very greedy.

Anth0ny

I imagine this is a scenario where they either have the mandatory download, or price the game higher than the other platforms. They opted for the mandatory download. Why should they eat the cost on the Switch and make less per copy? Nintendo could step in and eat the cost for them, but they won't.

i wonder how long until third parties just don't even bother

I'll give it 6 months

BigEmil

'Internet required'

g9ueUQF.jpg

dXgOS6v.jpg
Literally unplayable if not connected to the internet? Damn
Really hope this doesn't become a trend

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The drawbacks of game cards.

Yup. I know some mentioned publishers but you think they would do this if it was disc media?

The pubs and Nintendo share the blame.

I mean like someone mentioned, more onboard storage and this isn't too bad.

Make the bigger carts required and this is a non issue. Just watch out for the bigger carts tax...

woooooooooooooooooooooow

it's 1996 all over again

Basically. With the added bonus of download culture.

RRockman

Banned
It's very, very, dissapointing. I sure hope that code is completely optimized and can't be compressed any further. It had BETTER be a flawless port as well.

WTF?!

This completely defeats the purpose of having a physical copy. Just go digital only.

Geez. This had better not become a trend. Heck, Nintendo shouldn't be allowing this in the first place, sets a very bad precedent.

Top Bottom