• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Kilau

Gold Member
I wonder if the games could be compressed massively to fit on smaller, cheaper game cards but require an install to play.

Oregano

Dragon Quest Heroes does cost about $100 in Japan though.

Publishers wouldn't dare pull shit like this on any other platform though.

LordKano

I imagine this is a scenario where they either have the mandatory download, or price the game higher than the other platforms. They opted for the mandatory download. Why should they eat the cost on the Switch and make less per copy? Nintendo could step in and eat the cost for them, but they won't.

"Insanely greedy". It could be a significant added cost and we don't know how much those big carts cost. It's either do this or charge extra for the Switch version which also sucks. The storage situation on the switch is shitty and is a hidden cost for the consumer no matter how you look at it.

They should eat the costs because they're Warner Bros, not a small indie dev. We don't know how much cards costs but we know it's not a significant amount of money added to the cost.

Xando

No. The other alternative is the publisher acting like the others publishers and buy a bigger cart. There's no reason DQH1+2 is on a 32gb card and not this one.
DH devs must be willing to eat the extra costs then.

Unless Nintendo steps in and pays for production this will happen a lot

Steejee

I was considering picking this up, but not a chance in hell if 2/3rds of the game needs to be DL'd even with the gamecard. DLC, patches, eShop exclusives only for my Switch storage.

I 100%'d the WiiU one, but shit like this can't be tolerated.

Seik

Banned
"We didn't want to spend on big carts so we're letting you download the rest, thanks!"

It's shit, it basically makes the cart and the principles of a physical edition worthless.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Unfortunately it remains to be seen if enough people will actually care, and will it be possible to distinguish them caring about that from "people not caring about third party games on Switch", and won't those be the primary problem to WB anyway. It's weird Nintendo allowed this scheme in the first place, though I guess Tony Hawk 5 has set a precedent, sort of.

Following up my post from earlier

As of 21:44 GMT, Amazon charts

US

Switch - 171st
PS4 - 986th
One - 1,180th

UK

Switch - 59th
PS4 - 320th
One - 674th

Germany

Switch - 52nd
PS4 - 157th
One - 938th

France

Switch - 105th
PS4 - 1,023rd
One - 2,351st

It has to be seen how much this news could affect preorders, though.

Why shitch players should deal with this bullshit?

Ask Nintendo. It's on them to facilitate things for third-party devs/pubs and their consumers. This is clearly a case where the media used introduced a scenario where compromises need to be made in some cases.

Nintendo is going to have to make a difficult decision here. Do you potentially scare away publishers by forcing them to use larger and more expensive cartridges, or do you put it on the customer to pick up a SD Card and potentially damaging your reputation?

As for how you prevent that from happening, Nintendo could enforce a maximum download size for the first week of launch. I could see this getting ugly fast.

Cudos to WB for being a brilliant bastard of a publisher as always.

If you can't afford to fully release your game on physical media, then don't. Make your available on the digital store only. Or ship boxes with download codes to retail stores. At this point, what's the difference?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This move basically means that I won't be rebuying this game for a long time, if ever. Already 100%ed it on Wii U and was considering buying the game again, but if it's going to take up half my internal storage, then no.

I've been intentionally buying physical when I can on Switch to save space and put off having to buy a MicroSD for cost reasons, so I can't really support this decision. I can't believe they didn't even bother to at least use a 16 GB card and let only the last 4 GB be a download. That would at least be more acceptable.

I might have been willing to pay $10 extra if it was all contained on a cart. As is, I won't consider it until MicroSD sizes increase and prices drop.

If you can't afford to fully release your game on physical media, then don't. Make your available on the digital store only. Or ship boxes with download codes to retail stores. At this point, what's the difference?

This. I feel like this half-step is pretty shady. I'd much rather they just went all digital. That said, I'm glad someone noticed this early before I clicked buy on Amazon and assumed it was like every other physical game I've ever bought.

ckaneo

Yup. I know some mentioned publishers but you think they would do this if it was disc media?

The pubs and Nintendo share the blame.

Basically. With the added bonus of download culture.
Disc media already require mandatory installs on other consoles....

jonno394

They should eat the costs because they're Warner Bros, not a small indie dev. We don't know how much cards costs but we know it's not a significant amount of money added to the cost.

As said earlier, looking at pre-orders on amazon, the Switch version is by far the most popular. Amazing that they're not willing to bite the bullet on the version they're potentially going to sell the most of.

Lucifon

Eugh. Doesn't effect me as I have more than enough storage on my microsd but this is still bullshit to happen so early in the gen. Still going for the switch version but this better not become a thing.

Switch games aren't meant to require an install.

"Insanely greedy". It could be a significant added cost and we don't know how much those big carts cost. It's either do this or charge extra for the Switch version which also sucks. The storage situation on the switch is shitty and is a hidden cost for the consumer no matter how you look at it.

a port of a 2-3 yr old game isn't worth $60 to begin with. It should have been cheaper on all platforms than what they're asking for it.

Hattori

Banned
I'm gonna go ahead and cancel, full priced old port that's still 720p with all this fun baggage attached -- no thanks, I'll buy 4-5 indie/neogeo games instead

Ok I boycott all games with this fucking system. Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 on one card, Lego City needs to download 13gb for playing is a fucking joke.

On the other side DQH 1+2 is really expensive in Japan. But no idea if this has anything to do with the cartridge size. But RIME in comparison is also more expensive in Switch.

I really hope we don't see more examples like this. Such a shitty move. No buy from me.

jonno394

I'm hoping we get comments tomorrow from devs/publishers about this. I'm sure places like Eurogamer will pick up on this soon and enquire.

BTW you are even legally allowed to sell a game that can't work without a update?

It could be a small beginning area available in Undercover without the update.

Tony Hawk 5 shipped with 4.6GB on disc and a 7.7GB Day 1 patch.

Without the patch you could play the tutorial.

Santar

So buying the physical version of this is basically useless now. Man I sure hope this doesn't become the norm...

I don't usually get mad about stuff like this but wow that's a garbage way to get around using a higher capacity cart. Hope this doesn't become a norm.

Worse 3rd party quantity and quality than wiiu, I don't get it.
I do actually.

How is it worse than Wii U? You can still play the game on Switch perfectly fine, you just need to download part of the game. Breath of the Wild has a mandatory download on Wii U, granted it's only 3GB but the practise isn't unheard of. I'm not defending WB, I think this is greedy as hell, but it's hardly an example of poor third party quality. I'm sure the game is fine.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I hope the decision to go with carts doesn't encourage any third parties to abandon the platform.

I mean, it's a big upfront cost and if you're not sure you're making your money back on the game actually selling, that's a risk. Less so on competitor platforms.

I love the Switch, but stuff like this and the Switch tax are creating clear issues with the platform. Nintendo really needs to nip this in the bud, but I'm not sure how.

Midas

Are we still playing the card "publishers should eat the extra cost". Why should they? Why would they? If anyone should take the extra cost, it's Nintendo.

Do you have any idea how much money it is? They're not manufacturing 100 pcs of the game.

robjn3

Easy solution is for Nintendo to actually offer larger game cards to publishers at a discount or lower cost off their own backs. I know Nintendo may not profit as much but at least they don't hinder the customer and are also showing support for developers/publishers.

Kouriozan

Following up my post from earlier

As of 21:44 GMT, Amazon charts

US

Switch - 171st
PS4 - 986th
One - 1,180th

UK

Switch - 59th
PS4 - 320th
One - 674th

Germany

Switch - 52nd
PS4 - 157th
One - 938th

France

Switch - 105th
PS4 - 1,023rd
One - 2,351st

It has to be seen how much this news could affect preorders, though.
Yeah it'll be the best selling version by far, they really are acting greedy there.

flohen95

I have a 3DS and a Vita and didn't habe to deal with any of this problems.

And those games have pretty much always only cost 40$ to begin with (with a few exceptions from Atlus), a price that should easily be achievable for this game considering it's a slightly enhanced port of a game from 2013.

Lorcain

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that the cart of the game doesn't actually run the game. That's one of the main reasons people buy physical so they can just plug in the cart and start playing. It reminds me of the late pre-Steam days when some publishers started selling PC physical games with a disc that was just the launcher to download the game digitally.

daffy

Banned
Dragon Quest Heroes does cost about $100 in Japan though.
Yeah to be fair DQH 32GB cart is possibly to explain why its priced higher, like $20 higher than a typical console game. I originally thought it was because of the two-game compilation.

Damn i hope this doesn't become commonplace.

You know a lot of you have a tendency to come up with theories and then react to them as if they're fact. I'm not saying not to speculate, as that's all we can do, but it's a bit bizarre that you're indulging in what is essentially hypothetical anger (at the "reason", not at the fact we have a huge day 1 download, which is BS on WBs part)

Top Bottom