• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Which is? It's clear that some people won't mind, and others will disapprove.

I didn't complain about Rime having a $10 switch tax. And I still plan on getting it on switch, even though I have the ps4 preordered.

"Mind" is an understatement. You have people outright skipping games based on the Switch tax. WB opted for splitting the game in half for the sake of price and they receive equal amounts of crap for it.

The point I'm making is that Nintendo put 3rd parties in a complicated situation.

Mikey Jr.

The whole point of the switch was you buy the game card and you got going instantly. No installing to HDD or whatever.

This is even worse.....

Not only do you have to download the game, it also now takes up 13gb of your storage. Lol.

Unison

A side issue, but Nintendo insists upon price parity for digital/physical releases of games.

Going digital-only is a good solution to this issue, but I can see why a mass-market game like Lego might not want to do this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah to be fair DQH 32GB cart is possibly to explain why its priced higher, like $20 higher than a typical console game. I originally thought it was because of the two-game compilation.

Damn i hope this doesn't become commonplace.

While DQH I-II is priced higher than most of Switch's launch games, it's also true that in Japan pricing works differently, so much that the original DQH / DQHII were over 8,000 Yen each at launch.

Sycoraxic98

Neo Member
No. The other alternative is the publisher acting like the others publishers and buy a bigger cart. There's no reason DQH1+2 is on a 32gb card and not this one.

Yes there is. The 32GB cart is expensive. DQHI・II (only in Japan right now) is a very expensive cartridge, and doesn't have a multiplatform release. The Switch, and card format, are so new that economies of scale haven't kicked in to lower the cost of production; it's why the only sub-$40 retail release you've seen so far hasn't been from GameStop themselves with Has-Been Heroes, but that's another story.

They could release LEGO City Undercover on a 32 GB card, and be the second game globally to do so. They also would have to ship at a significantly higher upfront cost (at least $10 more,) just so they have literally any margin on the game. If they have zero margin, they have no reason to sell it to you.

Making the consumer front the storage cost is shitty. I don't defend it. But saying there isn't a reason it can't go with a 32GB card is disingenuous or misinformed.

ckaneo

Are we still playing the card "publishers should eat the extra cost". Why should they? Why would they? If anyone should take the extra cost, it's Nintendo.

Do you have any idea how much money it is? They're not manufacturing 100 pcs of the game.
They should just pass the cost off to consumers. Like I said, let Nintendo take the pr hit for games being more expensive.

And stop these shady backroom agreements that say physical and digital should be the same price. That makes no sense.

Gin

so question then.. what the hell is in the physical box ?

se7en.png

Ridley327

I honestly do wonder if this will become more and more prevalent on the Switch as time goes by. DQH1&2 seems like it's the only game that has shipped on a 32GB card, and that may have been instrumental in the crazy price that they launched it at in Japan.

Tripy73

On the other side DQH 1+2 is really expensive in Japan. But no idea if this has anything to do with the cartridge size. But RIME in comparison is also more expensive in Switch.

I really hope we don't see more examples like this. Such a shitty move. No buy from me.

Nop it's a normal price for 2 games. Rime is more expensive but Monster Boy and the cursed Kingdom no, therefore it's just a publisher decision.

Wil348

It's pretty shitty but I would much rather this than paying more compared to PS4/XB1. Still, I think I'll need a MicroSD card soon...

Installing is not the same as downloading. Come on.

Of course not but that isn't my point. The user asked what the point was in buying the physical version, the answer is the same reason as Xbox One and PS4 physical games. Gifting, collecting and reselling.

Robin64

It reminds me of the late pre-Steam days when some publishers started selling PC physical games with a disc that was just the launcher to download the game digitally.

Metal Gear Solid V was the best. The disc just contained an 8.78 MB Steam Installer exe file.

LordKano

Yes there is. The 32GB cart is expensive. DQHI・II (only in Japan right now) is a very expensive cartridge, and doesn't have a multiplatform release. The Switch, and card format, are so new that economies of scale haven't kicked in to lower the cost of production; it's why the only sub-$40 retail release you've seen so far hasn't been from GameStop themselves with Has-Been Heroes, but that's another story.

They could release LEGO City Undercover on a 32 GB card, and be the second game globally to do so. They also would have to ship at a significantly higher upfront cost (at least $10 more,) just so they have literally any margin on the game. If they have zero margin, they have no reason to sell it to you.

Making the consumer front the storage cost is shitty. I don't defend it. But saying there isn't a reason it can't go with a 32GB card is disingenuous or misinformed.

You have no evidence of that.

jonno394

They should just pass the cost off to consumers. Like I said, let Nintendo take the pr hit for games being more expensive.

And stop these shady backroom agreements that say physical and digital should be the same price. That makes no sense.

I'm sort of with you on this. If Nintendo want the device and games to sell so well, they need to take a bit of a hit and provide carts to publishers for as cheap as possible, or maybe even take a hit out of their licensing fee etc.

Nintendo are the tight arses here and ones to blame.

Seik

Banned
Are we still playing the card "publishers should eat the extra cost". Why should they? Why would they? If anyone should take the extra cost, it's Nintendo.

Do you have any idea how much money it is? They're not manufacturing 100 pcs of the game.
It's WB tho, if it was an indie studio, I could understand, but WB can eat a wagon of shit with this strategy.

This is even worse than patches that greatly improve the game. For example imagine a game ships with a huge bug (Pokemon X/Y saving bug) or bad controls (Bomberman kinda) if someone doesn't have an Internet connection or the servers go down years later, everyone will have to play the day 1 version. So it's just as important publishers get games right from the get go. Even something like Mario Kart 8 has been improved massively.. It had no map! It's just as important publishers don't get lazy if their game is getting a physical release.

is this really that bad? As long as this is the exception not the norm, with mandatory installs and updates we are living in a world where owning 5 to 10 physical games can fill up competing systems

How is it worse than Wii U? You can still play the game on Switch perfectly fine, you just need to download part of the game. Breath of the Wild has a mandatory download on Wii U, granted it's only 3GB but the practise isn't unheard of. I'm not defending WB, I think this is greedy as hell, but it's hardly an example of poor third party quality. I'm sure the game is fine.

Did Breadth of the Wild Wii U actually require a download? I was under the impression it was just a data install—no internet required.

Isn't this literally always the case though? Digital is just the RRP for the game which is why the physical version is often lower as stores try to undercut each other below the RRP?

Zomba13

But everyone said the built in 32GB was fine and you shouldn't worry about the size and to stop being cheap and buy a big memory card if you want to play digital games because 32GB was fine for carts!

"Mind" is an understatement. You have people outright skipping games based on the Switch tax. WB opted for splitting the game in half for the sake of price and they receive equal amounts of crap for it.

The point I'm making is that Nintendo put 3rd parties in a complicated situation.

They did. This is the only way I can see something like the Switch existing though? Games are big, and we have a system where a disc drive just wouldn't work. I think it's a shitty situation and maybe something Nintendo should have considered before designing the console.

13ruce

Banned
is this really that bad? As long as this is the exception not the norm, with mandatory installs and updates we are living in a world where owning 5 to 10 physical games can fill up competing system

What if you wanna play the game 15 years later when the servers are offline?

ckaneo

I'm sort of with you on this. If Nintendo want the device and games to sell so well, they need to take a bit of a hit and provide carts to publishers for as cheap as possible, or maybe even take a hit out of their licensing fee etc.

Nintendo are the tight arses here and ones to blame.
It's likely Nintendo is already subsidizing games on the catridges.

This is very concerning if more publishers are going to go this route. I can't think of a concept more antithetical to the idea of buying a physical copy than this.

If they're doing this because of price parity then I think Nintendo has made a major mistake in whatever they're charging publishers to make things, but if the publisher itself is just cheaping out then that makes them look bad. Either way, I'm not happy with this and I am probably going to avoid this one despite hearing good things about the Wii U version.

Effect

Do you not buy physical Xbox One and PS4 games? You have to install all of them.

That's not the same thing though. That's installing the game from the disc. You don't even have to be connected to the internet to do that. This situation is you buying the cart from the store and then having to downloaded the other half of the damn game! You don't even have the content on the cart you just purchase where as with the installing you have that content on the disc!

Did Breadth of the Wild Wii U actually require a download? I was under the impression it was just a data install—no internet required.

BoTW required an install.

hawk2025

Do you not buy physical Xbox One and PS4 games? You have to install all of them.

Both have 4TB hard drives attached to them.

I can't do anywhere near that with the Switch.

The Switch works as a console for me if I can conveniently buy and use cartridges. If it has all of the downsides of a home console and no advantages, it's a fundamentally flawed product.

Nintendo needs to get ahead of this and subsidize larger carts.

This is even worse than patches that greatly improve the game. For example imagine a game ships with a huge bug (Pokemon X/Y saving bug) or bad controls (Bomberman kinda) if someone doesn't have an Internet connection or the servers go down years later, everyone will have to play the day 1 version. So it's just as important publishers get games right from the get go. Even something like Mario Kart 8 has been improved massively.. It had no map! It's just as important publishers don't get lazy if their game is getting a physical release.

I completely agree. Back when, a release day was just that - everything that you could possibly play test for had to be checked, and checked again. Sure, minor bug fixes were made (looking at you, OoT) but otherwise, there was no internet connection. Devs are being pushed way too hard by publishers these days. I wish there was more balance.

Similarly, your reasoning is why I've started to move back to physical games.

I have a 3DS and a Vita and didn't habe to deal with any of this problems.
There was the case of World of Final Fantasy where both English and Japanese voice acting was a free DLC. The difference from this is you could play the whole game, it's just the voice acting that had to be downloadable separately because Vita game carts can only hold up to 4GB.

Top Bottom