• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk Xbox 720: Xbox World shares everything it knows about the next console

bridegur

I'd love to be interested in the next Xbox, but MS seems to be going further and further down the hole of only catering to FPS players and the casual audience. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

Oh, I believe we'll see a couple new IPs next gen. My point was that their last E3 showing didn't seem to be focused on the games.

Well they had a new system coming out in 18 months, and weren't ready to talk about that yet. They have games in the pipeline, just nothing they wanted to talk about at the end of the 360's lifespan. Notice that almsot every major 360 game is coming out in Spring?

Reiko

Banned
Well they had a new system coming out in 18 months, and weren't ready to talk about that yet. They have games in the pipeline, just nothing they wanted to talk about at the end of the 360's lifespan. Notice that almsot every major 360 game is coming out in Spring?

And Ryse from Crytek was mysteriously missing.

Sandfox

I'd love to be interested in the next Xbox, but MS seems to be going further and further down the hole of only catering to FPS players and the casual audience. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

That's what's bothering me about them. I want a good adventure game, platformer, or RPG and they just aren't providing exclusives in those genres and focus more on either shooters or kinect games while paying off devs to give them advantages when it comes to big name third party games. My purchase of their next system depends entirely on their new IPs at this point.

Proelite

Any link pointing you to that kind of information will lead you to the fake rumors. We dont know what is in devkits, and even if we knew, only early PC-based devkits are out there. In ~2 revisions developers will finally get devkits with hardware thats comparative to the real deal.

We'll hear about what was in the dev kits pretty soon.

I'll put my reputation on the line that they're amazing. :D

KageMaru

It featured Halo 4, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Fifa 13, Madden 13, Fable: The Journey, Gears of War: Judgment, Forza Horizon, Tomb Raider, Ascend: New Gods, LocoCycle, Matter, Resident Evil 6, Wreckateer, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Dance Central 3 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. In addition to that, they also announced Nike+ Kinect Training, a few new service partners, Xbox Music, SmartGlass (which can be used to enhance games, among other things) and IE for Xbox. I'd say that's still rather focused on games.

Yeah I just skimmed the conference on youtube and out of the hour and a half, roughly a half hour was spent not promoting a game, talking about features and apps.

So, yeah, definitely not focused on games at all.

We'll hear about what was in the dev kits pretty soon.

I'll put my reputation on the line that they're amazing. :D

You have a reputation to put on the line? =p

For those not in the know, is this good, bad, or what? How does that stack up compared to the current-gen consoles, the 360, PS3, and Wii U?

Well, as I said in another thread, going with an X86 AMD CPU does not seem the best solution for a gaming console. First off because in a traditional X86 CPU there is a lot of useless silicon that would just increase complexity, size, heat, and power consumption without any actual benfit in terms of gaming. Second because Jaguar cores are not very powerful. Third because with the same budget you could have a very powerful customized PowerPc CPU designed for what is really needed for gaming. So unless AMD is making a heavily customized CPU for Sony and Microsoft, I think that MS will go with IBM and PowerPc again. Without to mention that an IBM CPU would mean little backward compatibility issues.

KageMaru

Shieetttttttt.

lol

Well, as I said in another thread, going with an X86 AMD CPU does not seems the best solution for a gaming console. First off because in a traditional X86 CPU there is a lot of useless silicon that would just increase complexity, size, heat, and power consumption without any actual benfit in terms of gaming. Second because Jaguar cores are not very powerful. Third because with the same budget you could have a very powerful customized PowerPc CPU designed for what is really needed for gaming. So unless AMD is making a heavily customized CPU for Sony and Microsoft, I think that MS will go with IBM and PowerPc again. Without to mention that an IBM CPU would mean little backward compatibility issues.

There's no reason AMD can't be working on custom CPUs based on Jaguar for the PS4 and 720. Based on rumors and what we know, there's a good chance this is happening.

Durante

Well, as I said in another thread, going with an X86 AMD CPU does not seem the best solution for a gaming console. First off because in a traditional X86 CPU there is a lot of useless silicon that would just increase complexity, size, heat, and power consumption without any actual benfit in terms of gaming. Second because Jaguar cores are not very powerful. Third because with the same budget you could have a very powerful customized PowerPc CPU designed for what is really needed for gaming. So unless AMD is making a heavily customized CPU for Sony and Microsoft, I think that MS will go with IBM and PowerPc again. Without to mention that an IBM CPU would mean little backward compatibility issues.
X86 is not really an issue. And well, Cell was a very powerful CPU customized for gaming, and third party developers weren't particularly enamored with it.

Jacobi

Banned
Buying a next-gen console will be difficult. Sony has the better exclusive games, but might dissolve their console department later...
I just wish Sony and MS would work together...

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Buying a next-gen console will be difficult. Sony has the better exclusive games, but might dissolve their console department later...

No they wont. Its their only division that makes money.

aegies

Any link pointing you to that kind of information will lead you to the fake rumors. We dont know what is in devkits, and even if we knew, only early PC-based devkits are out there. In ~2 revisions developers will finally get devkits with hardware thats comparative to the real deal.

Correction: no website has published actual numbers, or numbers they feel are correct, because believe it or not, there are sourcing requirements to this kind of thing. It's really fucking difficult to get people to go on the record, or to even go on background with ID confirmation. Also, personally speaking, there are other things I've heard directly from developers and PR that I can't repeat because it's NDA'd, and stoking GAF isn't worth me getting someone fired over.

That said, I'm pretty certain about some information that hasn't been linked to a source.

Reiko

Banned

Polyphony Digital X Turn 10 - The World's Finest: The Complete Driving Simulator.

McHuj

Correction: no website has published actual numbers, or numbers they feel are correct, because believe it or not, there are sourcing requirements to this kind of thing. It's really fucking difficult to get people to go on the record, or to even go on background with ID confirmation. Also, personally speaking, there are other things I've heard directly from developers and PR that I can't repeat because it's NDA'd, and stoking GAF isn't worth me getting someone fired over.

That said, I'm pretty certain about some information that hasn't been linked to a source.

I do have a question. How can something like number of cores/clock/gpu be traced back to someone at this point?

At this point aren't there probably hundreds of people spread across many developers that know this stuff? I would imagine any company that has put out a AAA title for a current console has next-gen devkits/information at this point. I can't imagine game company X would be told some information for the CPU/GPU and game company Y would be told something different? I guess I'm really surprised more hasn't leaked.

I do have a question. How can something like number of cores/clock/gpu be traced back to someone at this point?

At this point aren't there probably hundreds of people spread across many developers that know this stuff? I would imagine any company that has put out a AAA title for a current console has next-gen devkits/information at this point. I can't imagine game company X would be told some information for the CPU/GPU and game company Y would be told something different? I guess I'm really surprised more hasn't leaked.

Alot of it comes down to professionalism. In my previous career I was privy to a good deal of secret information, and we never discussed it out of a feeling of professional obligation.

There's no reason AMD can't be working on custom CPUs based on Jaguar for the PS4 and 720. Based on rumors and what we know, there's a good chance this is happening.

Can AMD rival an IBM offering? I am not sure of that.

X86 is not really an issue. And well, Cell was a very powerful CPU customized for gaming, and third party developers weren't particularly enamored with it.

The problem is not just power, the problem is size and cost. A traditional X86 CPU is much more expensive and bigger than Cell or Xenos.

That's a hard question to answer without knowing the final chips both companies would be offering, no?

I think a lot depends on what level of customization AMD would be willing to provide.

Wouldn't a Power 7 CPU be bigger and more expensive than a Jaguar based CPU though?

I don't think IBM would use a derivate of Power 7, they have many different designs they can use.

iceatcs

Poor MS. Everyone expect them to release more powerful, more RAM, cheaper and coming before Sony.

Quite lot of pressure to keep those expectation from people, otherwise lot of disappointment possibly.

KageMaru

I think a lot depends on what level of customization AMD would be willing to provide.

Exactly, which is why I don't think we should dismiss an AMD CPU against an IBM CPU.

I don't think IBM would use a derivate of Power 7, they have many different designs they can use.

True, but again that leads to the question about customization again. =)

Poor MS. Everyone expect them to release more powerful, more RAM, cheaper and coming before Sony.

Quite lot of pressure to keep those expectation from people, otherwise lot of disappointment possibly.

I really don't think many are expecting either console to be more powerful than the other, or at least to the degree that's worth mentioning, and I really don't think anyone is expecting the next xbox to be cheaper.

iceatcs

I'm sorry but I do think there are quite quite lot of them expecting next xbox to be best of all (Power, cheap and ready).
Even some think MS to dominating the nextgen market by far.

Not saying those expectation are way off. I'm just saying some of those expectation will give MS huge pressure or lead yourself more disappointment.

I'm sorry but I do think there are quite quite lot of them expecting next xbox to be best of all (Power, cheap and ready).
Even some think MS to dominating the nextgen market by far.

No one expected the Wii to dominate sales this gen when it was first revealed. Who knows what can happen next gen. Microsoft can come out and surprise everyone.

Not really, Unlike Sony they won't have to deal with the whole Yen/USD issue.

Microsoft have advantage over Sony when it come to cost/price.

iceatcs

No one expected the Wii to dominate sales this gen when it was first revealed. Who knows what can happen next gen. Microsoft can come out and surprise everyone.

It won't be surprise because look like so many people include myself assume next xbox will dominate so well too.
It will be surprise or disappointment if it was other-way ---> Just like PS2 to PS3.

Proelite

The only thing I can say for sure is that the next Xbox will be powerful, don't know about cheap, first, or most successful.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the next Xbox will be powerful, don't know about cheap, first, or most successful.

These are my expectations:

-Watch Dogs and SW 1313 visuals as launch titles or launch "window"
-$350 for a "basic" SKU and $400 for a "premium" model

As long as those 2 things are there, I'm more than happy.

Some attention to AR is long overdue imo. I thought it would be more realized with Kinect but it never really came to fruition like I thought it would

Dueck

Banned
At the end of the day, you can't be more than $100 over your competition (this only applies to releasing a vastly superior machine), and you can't have the 67.8% (or whatever it was) reported fail rate that the 360 launched with. That's something you only get away with once.

I'll be sold on my next system within the details. I don't like gimmicky controls, digital distribution, or always-on DRM. I want to feel safe that my purchase won't break the first year I own it. I also realize DD is the future, but outside of Steam and iTunes I don't trust it...

I ditched MS, but that doesn't mean they can't win me back. It was just a comedy of errors when I had a 360 (made worse by how OCD I am with looking after my things). I do still prefer Sony's first party stuff, and I feel that MS had a better stable of exclusives with the original Xbox than they did with the 360.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Well, whatever this thing ends up being, I hope it's awesomesauce.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

1st is accurate.

2nd I'd say they would start at $400. But hey, if they can get it out cheaper than that... yay.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

That's an interesting thought, and quite true now that I think about it. And no, yen/usd conversion won't make much of a difference here. MS would have to eat a lot of per unit losses to make a scenario like this possible, and I'm not sure if they'd be willing to, given their most recent product pricing (Win 8 tablet).

What I'm expecting is that Sony will release a machine that will be weaker in terms of power, but cheaper, or not cheaper but will come with something bundled that will make the machine 'irresistable' in the same way that Wii was when it launched. I think there might be some truth to that rumor of them bundling the machine with the augmented VR visor w/ semi-transparent screen.

So you expect launch games to match PCs that have $350 graphics cards(JUST the card), with the entire console having a launch price of $350? What? There will be SW1313 and Watch Dogs at launch potentially, but they will not have the textures, AA, 1080p, or IQ of their PC counterparts. As others have said, it's thermally and cost-wise impossible. You'll have some magic being done a few years into the consoles life, but they will obey thermal dynamics and other principles of physics and cost.

I think you are one of the people in the other threads talking this nonsense lol, I thought I recognized your avatar. Regardless, this article is a load of bunk. Of course the next xbox will be powerful, it's been nearly 10 years since the xbox 360. But seeing a game(especially one developed primarily on pc) run on a gtx680(or two) at E3 and going "that's going to look sick on the next xbox!" is accurate. Saying "that's going to look exactly the same/better on the next xbox!" is inaccurate.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The next Xbox excites me the most of all next-gen consoles as I feel it has the most potential to innovate.

So you expect launch games to match PCs that have $350 graphics cards(JUST the card), with the entire console having a launch price of $350? What? There will be SW1313 and Watch Dogs at launch potentially, but they will not have the textures, AA, 1080p, or IQ of their PC counterparts. As others have said, it's thermally and cost-wise impossible. You'll have some magic being done a few years into the consoles life, but they will obey thermal dynamics and other principles of physics and cost.

I think you are one of the people in the other threads talking this nonsense lol, I thought I recognized your avatar. Regardless, this article is a load of bunk.

It's not really fair to compare an open ended platform to hardware in a closed, controlled platform like the 720/PS4.

Sure, I'm not expecting them to match PCs inch for inch. But I'm definitely not expecting a significant difference like multiplat games right now.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

I think you are one of the people in the other threads talking this nonsense lol, I thought I recognized your avatar. Regardless, this article is a load of bunk

Pretty sure hes not suggesting its going to match a PC set to ultra.

Top Bottom