• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Living in a world where a 7 is average

i thought this thread was about the scoring system when i read the title....

when a game get a 7/10 it's considered average....

anyway, i'm out

So many posters could not help but point out that the new uncharted dlc the main character looked off and not like they imagine how she should look in their heads. People are weird here but this one def stands out to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Ana's the most "out of the appearance norm" female character I can think of in recent memory and she's still a very attractive middle aged woman.
how-to-master-ana-the-newest-character-in-overwatch.jpg

DemWalls

Geralt looks like he's in his mid-30s, so the age Wild Hunt's writers made up for him doesn't really factor into this in any way. Ciri wears makeup, high heels and the flimsiest shirt in the world, none of which have anything to do with her age and are extremely ill-fitting to her role in the story and the places it takes her.

Don't see this as a defense, but I think the designers took the descriptions of the Rats' clothing as a starting point, and we know they never wore anything really fit for battle. Reading the books, I got the impression that they preferred to dress flamboyant, to the point of impracticality, and I can see Ciri still liking that "style".

Nevertheless, I can't wait to (also) have this

WFENqh9.jpg

in TW 4.

There're female and kids gorons in the new Zelda.

I haven't seen any female gorons; just that one who was confused as to why they were allowed in to the Gerudo village. Now, admittedly I didn't get to death mountain yet, so there might be some there, but Gorons have always been either male or arguably genderless (but using male descriptions for themselve) as far as I'm aware. Child Gorons have appeared before in Majoras Mask and Spirit Tracks, the implication being some sort of asexual reproduction.

Artdayne

Don't see this as a defense, but I think the designers took the descriptions of the Rats' clothing as a starting point, and we know they never wore anything really fit for battle. Reading the books, I got the impression that they preferred to dress flamboyant, to the point of impracticality, and I can see Ciri still liking that "style".

WFENqh9.jpg

in TW 4.

Well Witcher 3 did have this:

579a2aac29613b974fc493442e30af03.png

She is a pretty prominent character in the game.

Sakujou

Banned
iam sorry, but first of all: its the devs fault. if they wont implement it, how can you choose?

second: i dont care if i play an old man or an old woman or an alien: the story is needed, otherwise i will always choose the cutest/best looking character.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Couldn't agree more with the OP.

I'd love to see a female protagonist with visual flaws some time. You don't even have to make them ugly, just stop making them supermodels. Real flaws, not a perfectly positioned scar that just makes her look cute-tough and endearing. :p

Like the female protags in Joe Abercrombie's novels. Shy South has a gap in her teeth, Monza Murcatto is severely disfigured, Thorn Bathu is lean and muscular and has half of her hair shaved off. Even Ferro (his least compelling female character but also his earlier one, he's come a long way since) was not conventionally attractive, with spiky short hair, black skin (no, that's not a visual flaw at all, but considering how scared devs are of making WoC protags it might as well be :\), and a scar across all her face.

rzcQBCF.jpg

Remember this, guys? The comparison was even made here, in GAF, which is supposedly better than your average internet community about these issues.

Things aren't gonna change unless nerds stop behaving like fucking nerds. And we all know that's not gonna happen.
I do remember this. It was cringeworthy and embarrassing as fuck. She was still super attractive, too, and looked slightly older than in RE2 which is normal since it happens many years later, and people were going apeshit. Ugh. God forbid a pathetic nerd's favourite waifu gets aged up a little.

Evolution made us that way, there's nothing we can do about it now other than come up with a system of morality based on sexual modesty enforced by state censors. I think that was already tried.
LOL what is this shit?

DemWalls

Like the female protags in Joe Abercrombie's novels. Shy South has a gap in her teeth, Monza Murcatto is severely disfigured, Thorn Bathu is lean and muscular and has half of her hair shaved off. Even Ferro (his least compelling female character but also his earlier one, he's come a long way since) was not conventionally attractive, with spiky short hair, black skin (no, that's not a visual flaw at all, but considering how scared devs are of making WoC protags it might as well be :\), and a scar across all her face.

About this, I would really like to know precisely how Joe has them depicted in his mind, because yes, we know for example that Shy has a gap in her teeth (and red-brown hair, pale skin, freckles...), but it's also never stated that she's not good-looking. She may still be kind of a supermodel, just with a gap in her teeth.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
You honestly think One Direction, Justin Bieber, Backstreet Boys, Justin Timberlake, George Clooney, Harrison Ford et all would be equally famous if they were average looking dudes from next door?

I can't remember the last movie I saw, or game I played with ugly men in them. Even the geeky lone nerd types these days have bodies like greek gods.
And the gruff macho dudes are attractive in their own way. Besides, it's all escapism and art, it doesn't have to be like real life. In fact, I prefer it not to.

I'm gonna go listen to some PJ Harvey now. Not the prettiest woman in the world, but it's her music I into, so why would that matter?

CSJ

You honestly think One Direction, Justin Bieber, Backstreet Boys, Justin Timberlake, George Clooney, Harrison Ford et all would be equally famous if they were average looking dudes from next door?

I can't remember the last movie I saw, or game I played with ugly men in them. Even the geeky lone nerd types these days have bodies like greek gods.
And the gruff macho dudes are attractive in their own way. Besides, it's all escapism and art, it doesn't have to be like real life. In fact, I prefer it not to.

People like the OP (and maybe the op themselves) often don't care about facts like that.
I'm an ugly guy, balding has taken me over.

What do I want? Hair, I'd consider hair replacement surgery.
I've got the money, but I've been financially stupid before and I need to save for my future.

What else do I do? Go to the gym to try look better, I've been putting in 2 years of work in July and it's not anywhere near close where I want to be, the stress of home and work really kills my drive, it's so hard. I am/was skinny in most places but got a bit of a gut, I don't drink or smoke but it's hard to build muscle and eat enough and lose weight, it's one or the other.

I also wear glasses, again it's a personal image thing I can't stand but I also can't deal with contacts day in and out. It does my head in; also considered laser surgery but it's the money again.
I've got it, for all of these things; but is it really worth it? :|

We've all got problems, sometimes it's exactly the fucking same.
I really hate the idea it's brought up as one sided.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I'm gonna go listen to some PJ Harvey now. Not the prettiest woman in the world, but it's her music I into, so why would that matter?
I addressed this on the last page, mentoo™ doesn't discredit anything said in the OP. You think the director of Breaking Bad had women in mind when he shot all those scenes with Bryan Cranston naked?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I addressed this on the last page, mentoo™ doesn't discredit anything said in the OP. You think the director of Breaking Bad had women in mind when he shot all those scenes with Bryan Cranston naked?

All I see are poorly made arguments with pictures of an unusually handsome bearded man as proof of... Something. But silly me, I forgot that not being in complete agreement puts me in the "men too" department. Did I miss something? Might have, don't really have the time to fine comb discussion threads.

If you're not actually gonna respond, why respond at all?

Crossing Eden

All I see are poorly made arguments with pictures of an unusually handsome bearded man as proof of... Something. But silly me, I forgot that not being in complete agreement puts me in the "men too" department. Did I miss something? Might have, don't really have the time to fine comb discussion threads.

If you're not actually gonna respond, why respond at all?
Well there's a lot of text too, because if you haven't noticed this is a forum not a picture book, try giving the text a read.

petran79

Banned
One reason I refuse to take female characters seriously except in point and click adventure games,whether 3d,pixelart and FMV with real actors (except Larry games)

Differences with other genres in characterisation are immense.

Katsuhiro Otomo once said it was much more difficult to draw ugly women than pretty ones.

The best and most realistic women I've seen in anime were the protagonist and the hot springs owner in Niea_7.

Nipo

Are there many games where the male protagonist is an overweight slob? I can think of maybe one but it is usually a super buff solder, spy, killer of some sort.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
From the perspective of an artist who knows and follows many other artists, I can tell you that sexy women are probably the MOST popular form of human to draw/model/create. And I'm not sure it can be entirely blamed on patriarchy, while I dont have any statistics I can speak from my own fairly broad experience that people like to create/value sexy women seemingly more than they do sexy males (and I follow some female artists that do this too).

Of course it's fair to criticize inequality in representation. I just dont think it's any sort of "trend". Nor would I want to put stipulations on any creators vision even if it's unequal in it's representation.

Crossing Eden

Try harder.
Again read the text. You literally said all you see is pictures. Meaning the point, contained in the the text. Is completely lost on you.

Are there many games where the male protagonist is an overweight slob? I can think of maybe one but it is usually a super buff solder, spy, killer of some sort.
Michael from GTAV has a dad bod.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Again read the text. You literally said all you see is pictures.

I think you misunderstand. I went back through the pages, checked for posts by you, but found nothing of note outside of a very strange Logan montage.

Don't take everything so, well, literally.

And wow at that edit, lol. Clearly it takes little for you to assume people around you are blabbering idiots. So with that, you're not worth wasting my time on. Adieu.

Skinpop

Any time a game gives me the choice of character creation I try my best to make an as attractive man as I can. If we were to grade looks on the global, non-model scale I would be a 6 at best and maybe that's even stretching it, but when the game gives me a choice I want to make myself a 10. Do women not want to do this?
I always go for realistic ugly. Its more interesting and fun. Try it sometime, i think youll come to like those characters a bit more.

10/10 characters are just the most boring shit ever.

Mael

Based on my experience in this and other threads, I have compiled a handy bingo card for your posting satisfaction. Please, enjoy.

Damn even the bingo for feminism discussion is smaller than the male version!

Ontopic : Yeah it's all kind of weird that you can play as literally anything as long as your female protag is some bimbo supermodel rolling her ass around.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I always go for realistic ugly. Its more interesting and fun. Try it sometime, i think youll come to like those characters a bit more.

10/10 characters are just the most boring shit ever.

This is why Dragon's Dogma rocks. One of each.

Raven117

Gold Member

WFENqh9.jpg

in TW 4.

Wow, that looks like a modern Chris Lightfellow from Suikoden 3...and damn thats a fantastic design.

notaskwid

There was a post yesterday on /r leagueoflegends that garnered a fair bit of attention on this subject
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofle..._did_riot_stop_making_good_looking_ladies_as/

Unfortunately (or fortunately, maybe he noticed his own blatant sexism) the OP deleted his text where he complained about how riot (and I'm paraphrasing) "stopped creating hot girls" that were "remnants of a simpler time where games would appeal to him with characters on skimpy outfits".
Developers are indeed taking this issues into consideration. Of course, more must be done, and the more awareness to this, the better.

On the topic above, a Riot Designer called in:

In 2013 We made a conscious effort to shift away from the "hourglass girls" we had been making for years. We just had so many women in our game that could easily be described by, "Syndra, but in a different cosplay." We needed more variety. There are a lot of different ways to make compelling female characters that don't revolve around raw sex appeal. IMO having a large variety of female and male characters is really good for us. Lets us hit a ton of different niches which is important with a roster as big as ours.
That said, it's been a loooooong time (over 3 years) since we've made a new first order appealing female character (like Lux, Ahri, or Jinx). I think it's important we make another, not because "OMG SEX APPEAL," but because "I feel attractive" is a compelling character fantasy that a lot of players (men and women) really attach to. The key is the character's looks HAVE TO MAKE SENSE. Visuals should support the overall theme of a character, not be there in spite of it. The way Caitlyn looks makes no sense for a prim and proper sheriff. The way Ahri looks makes a ton of sense for a succubus.

Crossing Eden

I think you misunderstand. I went back through the pages, checked for posts by you, but found nothing of note outside of a very strange Logan montage.

Don't take everything so, well, literally.

And wow at that edit, lol. Clearly it takes little for you to assume people around you are blabbering idiots. So with that, you're not worth wasting my time on. Adieu.
It's about how during the movie industry, you get all kinds of variety in terms of appearance,
characters constantly being white not withstanding
, the point is that no one complains when a male character is old, no one photoshops a male character to look young or to have a more square jaw, no one complained that Logan went from super hot cheesecake to incredibly old man with grey hair and wrinkles, there's a stigma against women even remotely being portrayed that way in the gaming industry even when characters are young, people literally try to speculate that Bioware intentionally makes women "ugly" to appeal to a feminist agenda. Gaming culture when it comes to these is to put it bluntly, absolutely fucked up, cringeworthy, and immature regarding the appearance of women who aren't attractive enough.

Raven117

Gold Member
I mean...who wants to look at unappealing characters (mind the words...I said characters)? Also note, I said unappealing not sexualized.

Games are a version of fantasy. Many men and women alike enjoy the fantasy aspects of this.

While society ideals of beauty both from a female and male perspective are relevant and dictate alot of this, not sure what the solution is here.

Attractive characters = good/fantasy
Sexualized characters = bad

Just my .02

Crossing Eden

I mean...who wants to look at unappealing characters (mind the words...I said characters)? Also note, I said unappealing not sexualized.

Games are a version of fantasy. Many men and women alike enjoy the fantasy aspects of this.

While society ideals of beauty both from a female and male perspective are relevant and dictate alot of this, not sure what the solution is here.

Just my .02
Like I said before no one complained at all when Nathan Drake looked like this:
uncharted_4_drake_detail.0.jpg

Mael

Just my .02
Actually plenty of people don't mind looking at unappealing characters.
Heck movies with old slobs managed to be rather successful because everything else about the movie was great.
And appealing characters doesn't mean the same old shit in different cosplay and hairstyles.

CSJ

Based on my experience in this and other threads, I have compiled a handy bingo card for your posting satisfaction. Please, enjoy.

When your original post contains a statement that men don't have the same pressure to be attractive, that's where it started being a little one sided. You should have expected these responses after that, because that statement alone seemed wrong. It's like you can't imagine what it's like to be an unattractive male.
You may see it as an "us only" thing, I see it as a "we all" thing. Edit: Honestly, if you hadn't of said that I probably would have moved along. It was that one small part that just; irked me?

Raven117

Gold Member
Like I said before no one complained at all when Nathan Drake looked like this:
uncharted_4_drake_detail.0.jpg

That is still an attractive character. The issue is truly that designers (many of which are men, but hopefully the industry is making an effort to change this) struggle with making "attractive" women by not sexualizing them.

I do hope the industry pulls in more women designers, coders, writers, directors, owners, the whole bit. We are going to get some fantastic games because of it.

Raven117

Gold Member
Actually plenty of people don't mind looking at unappealing characters.
Heck movies with old slobs managed to be rather successful because everything else about the movie was great.
And appealing characters doesn't mean the same old shit in different cosplay and hairstyles.

Point is certainly good and well taken, but as a whole...truly as a whole...the attractive to unattractive radio skews HEAVILY to the attractive side.

Crossing Eden

And then you have ugly Trevor. Not Aloy "is ugly because she's not an 1000/10 goddess" ugly. Actually ugly.
Exactly.

I don't get your point here.
He looks attractive, if tired. And if no one complained, why did they end up making him more attractive in the final version of the game anyway?
He looks like a tired old man and even his square chin is succumbing to age, and they made him more attractive because like with everything else in the aesthetic they went for stylization over making it grounded,
and consoles couldn't handle the rendering style seen in that trailer...

Astral Dog

Aloy is so cool 😄
The movie industry is actually a shit ton better than this, the whole point of a shit ton of critically acclaimed movies is seeing characters at the lowest points in their lives, and that includes women. Sure you got the cheesecake that is the superhero, action movie, YA novel, and romance film schlock, but even then, we just got a film like Logan:
where instead of this:

we got this:
i think thats just because the actor got old and he is very popular ;P

But you are right as most videogames are focus targeted to teenage boys while movies are more abroad.
I saw a Goron in
that city where only women are allowed
, assuming that has to be a female Goron.

I didn't meet any female Gorons in Goron City. Are they elsewhere in the game?
Actually he is a male Goron,he was just wearing a wig and the Gerudos don't know any better. He is pretty confused why they let him in lol

Mael

When your original post contains a statement that men don't have the same pressure to be attractive, that's where it started being a little one sided. You should have expected these responses after that, because that statement alone seemed wrong. It's like you can't imagine what it's like to be an unattractive male.
You may see it as an "us only" thing, I see it as a "we all" thing. Edit: Honestly, if you hadn't of said that I probably would have moved along. It was that one small part that just; irked me?
Yeah, no.
A women who would do as little grooming as I do would be considered an unemployable slob while I'm considered as a tidy guy who's clean and all.
If there's one thing I don't mind about the ambiant racism of society is that no one ever mentions that my hair are a fucking mess because they can't notice when afro hair are unkempt.
The very fact that companies are pushing so much more products on women's apparence should tell you all you need to know about the pressure women have to always pretty up all the time.
Point is certainly good and well taken, but as a whole...truly as a whole...the attractive to unattractive radio skews HEAVILY to the attractive side.

Well yeah of course.
but at least there's a ratio, on video games...you would have to try to divide by zero :/

Top Bottom