• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad launches DDoS tool that lets anyone take down online services

I'm pretty sure you could find a bash script that does this for free on github or stackoverflow

it's not the functionality that you're paying for here, its the capacity/size of their botnet and as a result the size of the attacks you are able to send

a couple of servers running loic is trivial to mitigate

typically things like this start to fall apart when money is involved. hopefully that holds true here

Mononoke

Banned
You want government and corporate interests to further control the flow of information because script kiddies stopped your online video games? Wow.

What scares me is this is the exact thing that would do it. That would give the government justification to finally push it through. And when a lot of mainstream uninformed consumers are finally impacted and inconvenieced in a big way (like what happened on Christmas), they will be willing to allow it to happen. People doing these attacks might be making things worse for themselves in the long run.

Alienous

I'd be intrigued if they had made it free.

That would have sent a message. "We're capable, but people will do this sort of disruptive shit if they can, it's not just that we're implicitly evil".

Marcel

What scares me is this is the exact thing that would do it. That would give the government justification to finally push it through. And when a lot of mainstream uninformed consumers are finally impacted and inconvenieced in a big way (like what happened on Christmas), they will be willing to allow it to happen. People doing these attacks might be making things worse for themselves in the long run.

I think the troubling thing is not only your scenario but people actively championing regulation the entire internet because their video games were down for two fucking days.

I'm almost thinking this is a ploy to get companies to up their DDOS protection.

LS is probably composed of a bunch of cyber security company employees.

Alienous

I'm almost thinking this is a ploy to get companies to up their DDOS protection.

LS is probably composed of a bunch of cyber security company employees.

ibiXhL9EEpZdmT.gif

God damn, I think you cracked the case.

i-Lo

Sounds like a plot from MGS (or a tv show
Person of Interest
) where invested entities who oppose net neutrality have constructed an extraneous team i.e. Lizardsquad whilst they pull the strings from the shadow to instigate a chain of events that would lead to the fulfillment of their goal.

Klyka

Banned
Guys!

Guys!

If you take "Lizard Squad".
You have "Lizard" and "squad". What is a squad? A bunch of "people".

"Lizard".
"People."

LIZARD PEOPLE IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Marcel

Guys!

Guys!

If you take "Lizard Squad".
You have "Lizard" and "squad". What is a squad? A bunch of "people".

"Lizard".
"People."

LIZARD PEOPLE IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Call Alex Jones and Jesse Ventura immediately.

No, you're the one saying this only can affect our videogames.

DDOS attacks already happen all the fucking time, across different types of networks and sites. I'm not sure what Alan Moore magic cave you're living in if you don't recognize that.

What i really think is they set up a fake paypal thing to receive money, or stole someones account and have people send money there, they are not getting any money, all they are doing is getting more people infected and the money is being sent to some idiot into his paypal thing, probably unaware hes getting money, and maybe pointing the feds onto thinking someone else is the culprit. lol Maybe i'm thinking this to much but hey who knows right?

levyjl1988

Banned
I though FinestSquad took them down and arrests were made? What happened why are they still relevant now? Did I miss something in a thread?

vypek

I just don't see what is so special about this stresser compared to all the other ones that are readily available. There are tons of other booters/stressers, some of which are free. I'm very skeptical that this will have any true impact in the long run. But I guess we'll see.

Sounds like a plot from MGS (or a tv show
Person of Interest
) where invested entities who oppose net neutrality have constructed an extraneous team i.e. Lizardsquad whilst they pull the strings from the shadow to instigate a chain of events that would lead to the fulfillment of their goal.
In a weird way, it does to be honest. Really disturbing stuff.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
DDOS attacks already happen all the fucking time, across different types of networks and sites. I'm not sure what Alan Moore magic cave you're living in if you don't recognize that.

Sorry, not everyone subscribes to DDOS Monthly like you. Carry on Expert.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, I'm completely ignorant on the subject, but couldn't Sony block every single ip, and to get on, you would have to enter some captcha or something?

Only do this when they are being ddosed.

Something like this possible or would it not prevent anything?

Tacitus_

lol, trying to get paid for LOIC + botnet package?

Ok, I'm completely ignorant on the subject, but couldn't Sony block every single ip, and to get on, you would have to enter some captcha or something?

Only do this when they are being ddosed.

Something like this possible or would it not prevent anything?

Then they'd DDOS the login server... it's what happens naturally anyway when a big online game launches.

Top Bottom