• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad launches DDoS tool that lets anyone take down online services

cannot or should not? there's always a loophole...

TO THE INLINE SKATES!
hackers_1995_rollerblading.jpeg

That is the SHITTIEST movie i have ever seen.

Occam

May I ask why you are advertising this here? This is the kind of news that should not be reported. And it has little to do with gaming, either.

May I ask why you are advertising this here? This is the kind of news that should not be reported. And it has little to do with gaming, either.

Yes this is advertising it, but at the same time it's making people aware, which will follow to companies like Sony and MS to maybe start doing something about it. And this has everything to do with our gaming or has it not affected us?

BokehKing

Banned
thread whining always ends well
Is it thread whining? I agree with the person you're putting down, why advertise something that can affect us one day down the line, someone who takes the console wars a little too far, we shouldn't be giving them the attention they want

Marcel

Is it thread whining? I agree with the person you're putting down, why advertise something that can affect us one day down the line, someone who takes the console wars a little too far, we shouldn't be giving them the attention they want

you could always, say, report it to the administration rather than have a meta-conversation with me about it.

CaptainABAB

Couldn't Microsoft security researchers sign-on and use this service to attack a honeypot, thus identifying the compromised sources and potentially blocking them in the future?

NZerker12

Seriously, people who decide to ruin other peoples Christmas and relaxation time for the "lolz" are some of the biggest dicks going right now and now, they pull this crap.

I know it is wrong, but sometimes I really do wish harm on these assholes.

Or at least get whats coming to them.

There are hundreds if not thousands of vendors that host botnets/stressers literally all it takes is money.However in recent months the competition has been fierce with stressers attacking rival competition.They've also started locking and restricting the Paypal accounts of any new customers to these stresser/botnet services.

They will learn soon there is no honor among theives.Looks like psn and Xbox Live will need to invest in many many more servers to help mitigate future attacks.

To anyone *stupid* to purchase this:

Do you really want these guys to know your financial information (even fake)? If you're buying this to screw them over... it sounds like they're petty enough to use money to cover their shortcomings (i.e. pay for someone who does know how to hack and find out your information). Anyone paying for this service will be screwed over, even if you have best intentions.

Klyka

Banned
To anyone *stupid* to purchase this:

Do you really want these guys to know your financial information (even fake)? If you're buying this to screw them over... it sounds like they're petty enough to use money to cover their shortcomings (i.e. pay for someone who does know how to hack and find out your information). Anyone paying for this service will be screwed over, even if you have best intentions.

When I bought the premium package I was assured that I had now become an officially recognized hacker.
They even sent me an electronic certificate marking me as a "master bater" which, if you know the lingo like I do, is a powerful hacktivist wizard.

system11

You want government and corporate interests to further control the flow of information because script kiddies stopped your online video games? Wow.

Sure, let's go with the trivialisation of serious infrastructure and business disruption, not to mention preventing millions of people who have paid for a service, using it. It's minor. Just games. Barely even a crime.

The guy is right of course, the more people like LS abuse things, the more accepting customers will be of the need for restricted access. I'm already of the opinion that home network connections should come mostly restricted, with users having to request that certain things are unblocked if they need them. 4 in 5 users or more would never even notice. It's that or ALL ISPs start to implement some kind of auto scanning and blocking of machines acting in a suspicious manner leading to false positives. Alternatively we could recignise that at present most bad traffic comes from certain sources, and block them en masse or cease peering, entire providers and countries blocked leading to a progressively fragmented internet. Which do you prefer?

Shrugging and saying "oh well, thats capitalism - it's only games anyway lol" is not a solution.

LoveCake

I'm sure that "tool" won't take over your PC and steal your shit. Please use it, dummies.

People do sometimes have more than one PC though for example, i put Linux on my old Laptop to mess about with & i use it for Tor, the only thing on this laptop is a Firefox browser with bookmarks, there is nothing on it for anyone to steal, so if i wanted i could pay for one of those packages & go to my local free wifi hotspot & DDoS something, if it did take over my laptop i would just have to re-install Linux & Tor.

It will be interesting to see if there is a upsurge in attacks in 2015 though.

Alx

That's not censorship.

It is. It may not be abusive censorship since the admins have the right to do it, but it's still blocking information.

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions.

Not all censorship is bad (at least in theory... but it may depend on who you ask)

lord pie

Nothing ever felt right about these attacks. An attack the size they performed requires a highly coordinated group of non-idiots with a lot of patience and self control, or a lot of money. A bunch of pre-teens typically have neither.

My suspicion was someone with a lot of disposable income was paying for the attacks, while letting a bunch of these wannabe-hackers take the credit (and the fall).

I obviously have no evidence at all. But it just doesn't feel right how it's currently presented. You now have this same group trying to cash-in on their infamy. It just feels like another stage in a larger plan to me, another way to divert attention.

Then again maybe I give them too much credit and they are just trying to make their money back. An attack the size they pulled off likely burned through a lot of zombies and almost certainly cost a significant amount. I seriously doubt it's their own network they are reselling however.

Occam

Hehe.

It would be ludicrous to ban threads about them. The more you know and all that.

I generally agree that knowledge should be unrestricted, but what more is there to know in this case? These criminals aren't gifted hackers with a secret manifesto on how to make the world a better place. They are script kiddies, they do it "for the lulz" and they are attention whores. And now they are trying to make money by becoming criminals for hire. I think that's the full extent of it.

Handy Fake

I generally agree that knowledge should be unrestricted, but what more is there to know in this case? These criminals aren't gifted hackers with a secret manifesto on how to make the world a better place. They are script kiddies, they do it "for the lulz" and they are attention whores. And now they are trying to make money by becoming criminals for hire. I think that's the full extent of it.

I think most people would want to know the reason why they can't get on PSN or Live though. I find it most handy and informative to have the facts of who to blame for being an utter spunkbubble right at my fingertips.

Occam

I think most people would want to know the reason why they can't get on PSN or Live though. I find it most handy and informative to have the facts of who to blame for being an utter spunkbubble right at my fingertips.

Yeah, that is a dilemma.

Wow, making it an actual service is ridiculous. Hopefully this doesn't catch on to the masses.

Who besides hackers would want to pay for this??? I'd rather buy a game.

vypek

Wow, making it an actual service is ridiculous. Hopefully this doesn't catch on to the masses.

Who besides hackers would want to pay for this??? I'd rather buy a game.

Actual hackers wouldn't pay for this either. There are actually other services and tools like this already available. Only inept people would pay for this.

Vlade

It is. It may not be abusive censorship since the admins have the right to do it, but it's still blocking information.

Not all censorship is bad (at least in theory... but it may depend on who you ask)

to quote a gaffer, it depends on how you define semantics.

are we at least agreeing that harmful horseshit should not be propogated?

Cornbread78

Someone go spy on Dennis Dyack's and Reddit's transactions, the last laugh may be theirs..lol

magnumpy

apparently they weren't doing it for the LULZ. they were doing it for cold hard cash. which is at least a more understandable motive.

Top Bottom