• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat [Mafia] |OT| Till Death Do Us Part

roytheone

Dear Diary,

It's been just over 8 hours since I last had a boner.
I don't know what's going on.
Maybe it's the pervasive, totally un-sexy shenanigans happening around me.
Maybe it's the slash fiction that really just hasn't happened just yet.
But please, fates. If you have any empathy, please return my boner.

-Ouro

Well, after that literature masterpiece I send to you during the MGS game, I would think any other slash fiction would just be disappointing.

Hey, Blarg and Kawl, could you please make sure to take some screenshots of your chats so I can frame it on my wall? Thanks much.

Warxard

Banned
Why did I think the couples would be secret? Oh well.

Either way, my little Boo was my first
kill
... well, in another life anyway. So we couldn't be happier!

Love can't be secret forever.

Neither can fake love either!

...and other shit too, but I'm getting ahead of myself really.

*Splinter

Love can't be secret forever.

Neither can fake love either!

...and other shit too, but I'm getting ahead of myself really.
Guys I know we joke about this kind of thing at times but I just want to be clear and let you all know for certain that I'm being deadly serious when I say that "fake love" is absolutely 100% assuredly and undoubtably a
#scumtell

cabot

The whitest teeth and the freshest mouth for making love in their little pod of a boat~!

image.php

Gorlak

Banned
That's why we're working on ship names XD

Perhaps we can vote on those officially by day 1

Why not restrict it to the first two letters of both names?

1. Kihy - [m] Kingkitty & [m] Hyperactivity
2. Kazi - [m] Karkador & [m] Zippedpinhead
3. Tiflu - [m] Timeaisis & [m] FluxWaveZ
4. Lago - [m] LaunchPadMcQ & [m] Gorlak
5. Blaka - [m] Blargonaut & [m] Kawl_USC
6. Ulbo - [m] UltraJay & [m] Boo Boo'n
7. Cofla - [m] Coppanuva & [m] Flame_AC
8. Splica - [m] *Splinter & [m] Cabot
9. TLCa - [m] TL21xx & [m] Camjo-Z NEW
10. Maba - [m] MagnumBoy20xx & [m] batsnacks
11. Reka - [m] Rest & [m] Karu
12. Kyre - [m] Kyanrute NEW & [m] Retroid
13. Elmi - [m] El Topo & [m] Miracle
14. Necza - [m] NeverForever & [m] CzarTim
15. Soty - [f] Sophia & [m] Ty4on

I know... extremely unsexy and boring. We need something pragmatic, on which Burb will ultimately have to decide. Can't go to page 1 and c&p names every time I want to change my vote (which may or may not be often).

eh, I don't like my own idea, does anyone have a better idea? Voting for pair numbers? Vote: Boat 4 =/

*Splinter

I think we'll just have to suck it up and type it out every time. Otherwise we'd just be looking up pairs every time someone voted.

Unless someone wants to writs a script just for this game...

Ty4on

Would it be that hard to add exceptions where voting for one of the lovers or a shipped name is the same as the pair?

Code:
For couple in couples:
    If name == couple.left or couple.right  or couple.nickname:
        name = couple.name

Sorian

Banned
Would it be that hard to add exceptions where voting for one of the lovers or a shipped name is the same as the pair?

Code:
For couple in couples:
        name = couple.name

It's something you could talk to Flush about. I know he is willing to play with the script if he has time and the change isn't a monumental task (I don't know how hard or easy this would be).

Coppanuva

Code:
For couple in couples:
        name = couple.name

I'm just guessing at this (and could be wrong, depends on how he built out the script), but I don't think the script actually takes into account whether or not the player name exists. It simply reports a list of everybody who got voted for and builds a timeline. I could do this (in proper formatting, which I'm neglecting here in order to make sure the tool doesn't actually pick it up):

VOTE: coppnuva

and it would record that as me voting for coppnuva, despite no player with that name existing. Similarly, a vote for "cnadioja" would be a vote on "cnadioja". We hit up that limitation before (and I've had to correct typos on names in my votes to allow the tool to run properly).

In theory it shouldn't be too hard to do, but it would pose a risk of maybe having bugs due to our weird format.

RetroMG

This is entirely the wrong place to put this, but I'd be willing to come up with a reward for anyone who can adapt the voting script to work on Outer Gafia.

Coppanuva

This is entirely the wrong place to put this, but I'd be willing to come up with a reward for anyone who can adapt the voting script to work on Outer Gafia.

I have a very basic one working right now for help in running Mario Party. I haven't gone and tested it on an actual thread yet, but so far it's been able to parse and retain votes on the VI thread. So it's not really an adaptation, but it is coming!

RetroMG

I think coppa was working on this for Mario party mafia?

I have a very basic one working right now for help in running Mario Party. I haven't gone and tested it on an actual thread yet, but so far it's been able to parse and retain votes on the VI thread. So it's not really an adaptation, but it is coming!

Nice! I remembered that you were working on one, but I wasn't sure where you were on it.

*Splinter

oo this will be super useful last month! :p

I kid, of course, that will be super useful in future games.

Coppanuva

oo this will be super useful last month! :p

I kid, of course, that will be super useful in future games.

Sorry man :(, wish it had been working then too. Real-time vote trackers are definitely nice to have.

I just meant I've been testing it there since it was the most accurate thread and I liked your vote format (so I decided to steal it vs Ouro's highlighting from MGS). It also doesn't authenticate the account, so it wouldn't have done anything for the AL thread. Authenticating a python script is doable, but I'm lazy and hate caching the login info.

Ty4on

I'm just guessing at this (and could be wrong, depends on how he built out the script), but I don't think the script actually takes into account whether or not the player name exists. It simply reports a list of everybody who got voted for and builds a timeline. I could do this (in proper formatting, which I'm neglecting here in order to make sure the tool doesn't actually pick it up):

VOTE: coppnuva

and it would record that as me voting for coppnuva, despite no player with that name existing. Similarly, a vote for "cnadioja" would be a vote on "cnadioja". We hit up that limitation before (and I've had to correct typos on names in my votes to allow the tool to run properly).

In theory it shouldn't be too hard to do, but it would pose a risk of maybe having bugs due to our weird format.
Yeah, I'm certain it doesn't care what name you use and just outputs a vote on whatever name you used. I'm also aware that by doing this you'd need to write in every couple with all possible names (60 in total if we only have one nickname).

While the list does make it more complicated, but with it in place though we could throw away invalid votes or put them in their own counter so they didn't mess up the normal counter. Maybe this'd be way too hard, but some sort of string compare would be really useful. Like "coppnuva" has "copp" in common with "coppanuva" and is a likely vote for him.
Authenticating a python script is doable, but I'm lazy and hate caching the login info.
I don't even wanna think about what that looks like.

Coppanuva

Yeah, I'm certain it doesn't care what name you use and just outputs a vote on whatever name you used. I'm also aware that by doing this you'd need to write in every couple with all possible names (60 in total if we only have one nickname).

While the list does make it more complicated, but with it in place though we could throw away invalid votes or put them in their own counter so they didn't mess up the normal counter. Maybe this'd be way too hard, but some sort of string compare would be really useful. Like "coppnuva" has "copp" in common with "coppanuva" and is a likely vote for him.

I don't even wanna think about what that looks like.

From memory it's not really that ugly in code, it's just some stuff dealing with storing local cookies to a session or something like that. I did it once to verify CSRF protection was in place on a site past a login screen and I think it's basically just doing a post and persisting the session (I'd love the votebot to post updated counts on a timer/by command, for users who don't have access to the site due to firewalls or whatever).

As for the string comparison part... I was actually wondering how hard that would be. I mean, it should definitely be doable (especially if you have a list of players to simply try a string comparison on), but it's definitely more work than the naive trick. It also might have some issues if we have someone hypothetically put in a vote for "Kark". I'm trying to think out how you would decide if that's a better match for Karu or Karkador. It matches the length for Karu, but it's alphabetically closer to Karkador (and could be a nickname), so it'd need to take that into account. Anyhow, that's something for another topic probably (or my own planning at least). I'll probably toss up a topic on Outer GAFia to discuss it and people can throw out ideas for it if they want.

Burbeting

Banned
For voting issue: I/We were thinking about making up nicknames for couples forster, but in it would have effectively meant everyone needing to learn 15 almost brand new names, and associate said names with multiple people, which I think would be much more confusing for the players than the system that is in place at the moment. However, good ideas are appreciated, since I know the way voting works right now is far from ideal.

Sophia

Uh.. we clearly lack LOVE in this thread!

Let's do this darling <3
4JOutCp.png

Oh Gorlak, darling, I can feeel the love in you. Come, bring that lover of yours on the launchpad and joins us here on the loooove boat of ours! Swim! Swim as fast your beating heart will allow! We shall have some glorious, exciting, fun under the pale moon~

For voting issue: I/We were thinking about making up nicknames for couples forster, but in it would have effectively meant everyone needing to learn 15 almost brand new names, and associate said names with multiple people, which I think would be much more confusing for the players than the system that is in place at the moment. However, good ideas are appreciated, since I know the way voting works right now is far from ideal.

I'm not too sold on nicknames myself. Regardless of what method is used, I'd prefer it if the names are easily available in the OP for the purpose of copying and pasting. Just so that any accidental/mistake votes are avoided.

Coppanuva

I'm not too sold on nicknames myself. Regardless of what method is used, I'd prefer it if the names are easily available in the OP for the purpose of copying and pasting. Just so that any accidental/mistake votes are avoided.

I agree with this. I'm not a fan of nicknames for votes at all honestly, and I'm worried it's going to lead to more typos in names than anything else. Especially with some of the names we've had before. If I have to remember which character in a given pairname is a number and which isn't I think I'll fail miserably. It's also even more to have to think about for us, and 15 additional names to memorize for the new guys (who already have 29 to learn).

Karkador

Banned
Why not just "K+Z" or "L+G" as shorthand for pairs?

This voting thing is going to make this kind of a mess. Typing out the full name is going to be a pain in the ass, especially on mobile.

Darryl

Banned
Vote: Zippedpinhead

Karkador & Zippedpinhead (3)
NeverForever (Karkador)
CzarTim (Karkador)
Darryl (Zippedpinhead)

Burbeting

Banned
I think I actually might adopt Darryl's system, although it means vote tallies won't have unvotes showing most likely, so people would need to check the unvotes manually (gasp).

Kark's system would be okay otherwise, but it would mean lot of Pairs look awfully similar (like K + Z and K + H).

Is Darryls idea okay for you people?

Top Bottom