• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat [Mafia] |OT| Till Death Do Us Part

cabot

I think the "no one died" is probably the most interesting thing I've read all day. I know most of the conversatiOn is about time/flux and blawl's mirror matchup.

Have any of us thought about the possibility that our loveless decided to NOT kill last night? It's only one potential option, but it's one that tends to get overlooked.

probably because its dumb, deciding not to kill at all is counter productive.

You may gain in a little confusion, but you delay your end goal to get the majority of town votes.

A very dumb scum team would choose to no kill.

UltraJay

I think the "no one died" is probably the most interesting thing I've read all day. I know most of the conversatiOn is about time/flux and blawl's mirror matchup.

Have any of us thought about the possibility that our loveless decided to NOT kill last night? It's only one potential option, but it's one that tends to get overlooked.

How often is that a good strategy for mafia? Getting kills is the only way they win. Hmm... Now why would they do that? To legitimize a scum member's claim, perhaps?

Wait, Time, didn't your team claim? And you're the one bringing this up?

UltraJay

How often is that a good strategy for mafia? Getting kills is the only way they win. Hmm... Now why would they do that? To legitimize a scum member's claim, perhaps?

WHY'D THE HE'LL DID I THINK YOU WERE TIME???

I'm sleeping now.

UltraJay

Everyone that just explained why no killing as mafia is bad gets scum points :p

How many times has a no kill order been issued in Gafia.

Seriously. I'm curious.

As for my mistake above. It still stands. Suggesting the scum team didn't kill is a scum move for me.

probably because its dumb, deciding not to kill at all is counter productive.

You may gain in a little confusion, but you delay your end goal to get the majority of town votes.

A very dumb scum team would choose to no kill.

Mafia not putting in a kill order is some fantasy shit. It doesn't happen.

Fair enough, and since it is always stupid for a doctor to claim, what are other options for no kill nights?

1-shot bulletproof? (I was one in woof 2.0)

It also makes us think how many killing roles? Did we just have any extra killing roles decide NOT to kill people? Do we only have a Mafia kill role? I want to hear what the other groups think are most likely. I personally think that scum was unlucky in their target and any other killing roles chose not to (or could not) kill last night.

batsnacks

maybe ill post my handwritten notes again so you can critically analyze them to see how scummy they are.

Hate you bats

giphy.gif

cabot

It also makes us think how many killing roles? Did we just have any extra killing roles decide NOT to kill people? Do we only have a Mafia kill role? I want to hear what the other groups think are most likely. I personally think that scum was unlucky in their target and any other killing roles chose not to (or could not) kill last night.

So, in mafia I'm reasonably sure SKs HAVE to kill someone, they can't do a no kill. I am currently working under the theory of no SK.

Coppanuva

Fair enough, and since it is always stupid for a doctor to claim, what are other options for no kill nights?

I'm not convinced we have more than 1 1-shot BP (Tim/NF's role is basically just a more powerful version of it). It's possible town has a blocker role, but that's typically a scum power role.

Coppanuva

So, in mafia I'm reasonably sure SKs HAVE to kill someone, they can't do a no kill. I am currently working under the theory of no SK.

I know when I was a SK in MGS I specifically had to kill. I'm not sure if there's been other SKs in GAFia games to compare to though.

Kyanrute

If there is a vigi, it is impossible atm to tell what happened with them. If there is a SK, their win goal and role would be something like "kill x before you die, no need to kill every night". No idea how reasonable such a role would be. Mafia kill was defended somehow; lucky doc/block being the more likely option compared to more x-proof roles imo.

Well it's not a great topic but I'm trying to kill Zipped's theory here, come on Kark. Give us some facts

I would like nothing more than to have some one say " I don't think there is an SK because of X". However, Kark had to kill in the first Mafia game (he just got roleblocked from night 3 on IIRC).

But I don't like thinking that the only reason we got no kills is because of a doctor, it just sounds so convenient

cabot

I would like nothing more than to have some one say " I don't think there is an SK because of X". However, Kark had to kill in the first Mafia game (he just got roleblocked from night 3 on IIRC).

But I don't like thinking that the only reason we got no kills is because of a doctor, it just sounds so convenient

It seems like you're looking for a more complicated option.

Occam's razor. I think a doctor/blocker has done the job for us, to think its something else makes it really complicated,

There are only 3 (main) reasons why there would be no kill. A doctor, a roleblocker, or a bulletproof

So just assuming its one may not be the best thing, however, as it is now, the odds swing towards the doctor guessing correcting or a high profile bulletproof player (odds are against roleblocking successfully night 1, at least in the situation we were in)

UltraJay

I willing to say there isn't a SK. With only 15 in all, that would be too powerful, plus the goal would be hella low. Most likely neutral role, if any, could be survivor.

That said, roleblocker, if we have one, don't be an Ourobolous (meaning don't reveal yourself, luckily catch a neutral sk after scum and town, and then roleblock the doctor next night, making people assume no doctor. Also that sk was about to kill scum, just reminding you)

AKA There being no kill today doesn't mean you found scum

Burbeting

Banned
el topo & giant panda (0)
cabot

launchpadmcq & gorlak (2)
giant panda
ultrajay

kingkitty & hyperactivity (1)
cabot

timeaisis & fluxwavez (1)
gorlak

15 Votes Needed for Majority

Flame_AC

I think it's more likely for there to be someone bulletproof then for a doctor to have guessed a target correctly. Unless mafia went for one of the revealed power roles and a doctor followed suit.

Do we think mafia would really go for a power role? And then there's Flux saying he didn't want a doctor to protect him. I'm not sure which is more likely, but I lean towards bulletproof over a bad mafia target and obvious doctor protection.

Gorlak

Banned
I think it's more likely for there to be someone bulletproof then for a doctor to have guessed a target correctly. Unless mafia went for one of the revealed power roles and a doctor followed suit.

Do we think mafia would really go for a power role? And then there's Flux saying he didn't want a doctor to protect him. I'm not sure which is more likely, but I lean towards bulletproof over a bad mafia target and obvious doctor protection.

But we lynched one bulletproof role. How likely is it to have two bulletproof (of the same alignment) in a game of 15 roles? Very unlikely.

cabot

But we lynched one bulletproof role. How likely is it to have two bulletproof (of the same alignment) in a game of 15 roles? Very unlikely.

Yeah sorry. I agree. I think this is a case of either doctor choosing right or blocker getting lucky. I don't think there is more the one BP role

Flame_AC

Yeah, that's what is really weird to me. I doubt there's a bunch of bulletproof roles, but yet I also doubt mafia would go for an obvious target under doctor protection.

cabot

Refute which line of thought?

I don't think zipped is right. I'm just wanting as much proof as possible that he's wrong

Flame_AC

Out of curiosity, do we think there could really be a serial killer and a mafia kill each night in a game of, functionally, 15 people. Wouldn't that mean the game would end very quickly?

Perhaps this is why there might be a lot of protection roles? If there is a SK that is?

Gorlak

Banned
Refute which line of thought?

I don't think zipped is right. I'm just wanting as much proof as possible that he's wrong

You've stated two times you don't believe in a sk. Now you are keen for anyone to corroborate your idea. You even asked Coppa to repeat sth. he said already. There is no benefit in assuming anything right now.
There should be even less incentive for you to convince others a SK does not exist, what exactly do we gain if we all forget about a SK?

Kawl_USC

Regardless of how it happened, there is only 1 way in which it could possibly provide us with worthwhile information in hunting scum, right? And that's if it was a roleblocker. Even if that were the case I still think them claiming wouldn't be there best bet as there is too many other possible explanations for no kill.

I get that it is obviously going to be the big topic of the at least this first day, but not sure how much good it does us to go down all these what ifs.

As far as other killing roles, I find it doubtful at least as the board stands now. One case of roles interacting for no kill is unlikely enough, two would be pushing the realm of the believable to me.

Still waiting on TimeFlux to check in.

Flame_AC

I was looking over my notes for the game and noticed something very odd about one poster. MagnumBoy has only posted 7 times in this entire thread, usually due to a vote or direct question and then disappearing again. I know it's very early in Day 2, but I want to bring this to attention and try and get him active again by getting his thoughts on the situation.

Batsnacks has been good so far, so I'm not holding this against him in a scum way, just want him to show up.

Vote: MagnumBoy20xx

Once he posts some and talks about the day and night, I'll move on to someone else.

batsnacks

I don't think there's a serial killer that's dumb why is anyone responding to no night kills with "well there might be a neutral killing role in addition to mafia."

I don't think there's a serial killer that's dumb why is anyone responding to no night kills with "well there might be a neutral killing role in addition to mafia."

If anything, the lack of any death should point to the opposite. I don't see the point of the current discussion.

MagnumBoy20xx

Neo Member
I was looking over my notes for the game and noticed something very odd about one poster. MagnumBoy has only posted 7 times in this entire thread, usually due to a vote or direct question and then disappearing again. I know it's very early in Day 2, but I want to bring this to attention and try and get him active again by getting his thoughts on the situation.

Batsnacks has been good so far, so I'm not holding this against him in a scum way, just want him to show up.

Vote: MagnumBoy20xx

Once he posts some and talks about the day and night, I'll move on to someone else.

Yeah, I haven't been very active, sorry.

I do think that it's interesting that we had no kill tonight, which I think was just dumb luck of someone (doc, roleblocker etc) guessing right.

I have noticed that some people think that there might be an SK, but I don't buy it. The game would go bye way too quickly if there could be two kills a night.

Gorlak

Banned
Hey Kawl, do you guys have a plan on how to proof you are town?

I get that (if you are town) you are in a difficult position. But up to now all you have done was claiming MillerTracker and saying "oh they visited us"... circumstances lead to the convenient thought: "hey that could be the doc, better to not reveal."
The problem with your situation is, scum would use the same explanation for no result today. Basically we are again at the point of "would scum claim early and risk their life?". Yesterday you two didn't do shit and laughed your asses off, that won't be enough for today. Note: I'm not asking you to reveal your target. But you need to step up your game!

I'm uncertain about your alignment.

El Topo

If anything, the lack of any death should point to the opposite. I don't see the point of the current discussion.

I think it's important to keep the possibility in mind, but there's no use in discussing it right now. It's possible though, see Archer mafia, where no one died in N1.

Top Bottom