• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us Remastered

autoduelist

Whenever someone calls something overrated, of course they are saying its their personal opinion that thing isn't as good as most peoole believe. If most people agreed it wouldn't be "overrated".

But thats the point. Anything you like less than most becomes `overrated'. It Lays blame at the feet of reviewers and other players - "its not me, everyone else is wrong". Its a terrible term, because barring rare exceptions like paid reviews, everything is correctly rated, give or take.

How does saying something is overrated help anyone? It's by definition the minority opinion, so it's not helping people who haven't played it decide whether to play or not, since statistically they will agree with the majority. All the word does is create antagonism where none is needed.

It's perfectly fine to disagree with most people. Just say, I didn't like it as much as most other people. Thats straightforward and to the point and does not inherently imply that everyone else is wrong.

Last edited:
I like how Ellie was like Maggie on TWD (scared, dependent on others and uncertain of herself) until she goes all hardcore on bunnies and a deer. She's one of my favourite characters in games now. Her innocence is fading fast! ;)

ruvikx

Banned
I enjoyed The Last of Us & finished it a couple of times on ps3. I didn't enjoy the remaster as much because A/I knew the game too well & B/some 'quirks' in terms of visuals were evident (at one point after escaping from the Quarantine Zone near the beginning of the game at night, the blacks were really washed out & ugly). Also, after a couple of playthroughs the forced walking sections were a real bore.

I also never played the DLC because the entire premise was based upon caring about Ellie & her origin story - which I didn't. I enjoyed the stealth encounters versus clickers & humans in the main game, likewise the occasional humor, such as the hilarious magazine scene in the car (sticky page!). But I wasn't engaged in the characters much, at all. The ending was also bittersweet, but I suppose some people might enjoy that sort of thing.

On a personal note I'd say the only parts of The Last of Us which are 'overrated' would be the characters & story (roadtrip daddy issues) & the begging, i.e. a forced run in one direction with very little player input which was supposedly 'awesome' because some people believe a video game should be judged based upon how it compares to a movie. F that. I'd rather play the Pittsburgh chapter > the intro sequence a thousand times.

Last edited:

agradine

Honestly, the Pittsburgh chapter was for me the nadir of the experience, or at least in the first half until
you meet the brothers.

Also, someone upthread started badmouthing
the fight against David
which is just bananas, easily one of the top set pieces in the game.

Different strokes, I guess.

ruvikx

Banned
Pittsburgh was the moment when the game stopped telling me what I should feel & actually allowed me to really 'feel' the world via giving me more freedom (the checkpoint area in particular was epic). I don't need cutscenes to dictate my experience, but rather I need gameplay which features individual epic moments detached from the 'holding hand' problem which afflicts many single player games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom