• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi sends notice that The Year of Luigi never ended...

RagnarokX

Making characters emote is art direction. They can be achieved with simple graphics. While it was more obvious in later games, Mario and Link were very expressive in their N64 incarnations.

Powerful hardware alone can realize a lot of things. Good art direction isn't one of them.

And according to the rhetoric of some, Wii U is severely underpowered, so I don't know what they're trying to prove. Are they saying that Wii U is, in fact, capable?

While the gaming community often acts like they are different things, art style is also graphics. Graphics is a much broader category than number of polygons and stuff. Hell, Epic Yarn won best graphics awards against HD games and that's a Wii game.

random25

TestyNeedyDugong.gif

This game should've been called Luigi Kart.

LimitedFreshAdeliepenguin.gif

Is this gif for real? As in a Wii U game actually looks like that? This may have singlehandedly sold me on the Wii U.

This is what makes me laugh when people say about how under powered the WiiU is compared to the PS360 generation, fact is that I don't think either of those consoles could have pulled off MK8 while maintaining a solid 59fps the game is simply gorgeous in motion and screenshots don't do it justice.

This thread is seriously the best thing ever on a Monday. Pretty sure we've got a slew of new gifs to use for the rest of 2014.

The slow-mo is the greatest feature. My friend and I raced as wario and dk yesterday. Every collision made for godly highlight reels.

I assume that you can't do manual slow motion on the youtube export huh? I might have to invest in a capture card for this game

It's the new hardware that makes the art direction possible.

This wasn't remotely possible on Wii. It is possible on Wii U and it's amazing.

Considering the expressions, effects and animations they were able to push out on GCN and Wii, (Smash Bros Melee & Brawl, Windwaker, etc) You'd be surprised. I remember F-Zero GX being quite the visual masterpiece as well.

Why am I constantly viewing this thread? It's only making the urge to purchase a Wii U greater.

Mine has honestly been collecting dust for a few months until now, but Mario Kart 8 is pretty amazing. Whenever I played a new track for the first time, I found myself saying "Wow" many times.

Considering the expressions, effects and animations they were able to push out on GCN and Wii, (Smash Bros Melee & Brawl, Windwaker, etc) You'd be surprised. I remember F-Zero GX being quite the visual masterpiece as well.

I guess the argument is more for the level of graphical fidelity more so than art direction. The artstyle could not have looked this beautiful or sharp without the Wii U graphics.

Top Bottom