• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson/MS issues an official statement regarding Used Games on XBox One

RPGCrazied

Wouldn't it be better just to come clean and tell it how it is? Do they really not know how it'll work or something? Gosh I sure hope so. I'm still think its going to be anti consumer.

Just because they allow you to trade used games, DOESN'T mean they wont have this activation code policy in place where you would have to pay near full price. They maybe have something in place where a retailer generates a new code. So you would be SOL if you personally gave/sold a game to a friend.

outsida

They should just realize at this point that they have lost control of the message. People are out for blood. Either tell the truth or shut the hell up until you're ready to give the full details.

cluderi

I know they dont comment on rumors but cant they read the reactions to accurate ones? They had time to prepare statements...

Also Sony is very quiet about this which I dont like one bit. Perfect time to counter with a consumer friendly policy if there is one...

When there's a massive shitstorm going on most people stay inside and wait it out rather than go outside in their "look at me" clothes and get dragged in. Not saying they are or aren't going to have a system but why make yourself a part of this story more than you have to.

Vashetti

Banned
The fact that they had to issue a statement means they know the general vibe out here so lets hope that will change what they planned on doing originally.

We can at least hope.

Microsoft does what Microsoft wants.

Their attitude is #dealwithit

steveovig

They're probably getting pressured and paid by the publishers to go through with this thing. It's a big gamble for them I bet but if they can pull this off, they'll be raking in tons more cash.

Wouldn't it be better just to come clean and tell it how it is? Do they really not know how it'll work or something? Gosh I sure hope so. I'm still think its going to be anti consumer.

If it wasn't then they would have simply said so long ago. The way they keep dodging around the question means it's only bad news.

Sean*O

Lying assholes, don't wait for E3 if you are truly worried about misinformation spreading.. Why would you wait?

I don't buy for a second that there was any confusion amongst MS reps.

Demote him to First Sergeant Nelson for that typo.

Take away his Jeannie.

If it wasn't then they would have simply said so long ago. The way they keep dodging around the question means it's only bad news.

Lying assholes, don't wait for E3 if you are truly worried about misinformation spreading.. Why would you wait?

I don't buy for a second that there was any confusion amongst MS reps.

Yes, they are obviously stalling and all the people saying "wait until it's confirmed" would have us waiting until launch.

Good to hear. The whole thing will probably be resolved at E3 from what they're implying.

It's no doubt gonna be nerve-racking for the Microsoft employees presenting on stage at their press conference knowing that the press and gaming community have all eyes on them eagerly waiting for answers.

Darknight

WTF that "official statement" is just saying what we know already and keeping the "our policy is still pending blah blah more info to come". They are not addressing what gamers want to know.

Seance

Banned
Glad MS came out in front of this and were able to put us message board gamers at ease. Glad everythings been cleared.

link1201

"The ability to trade in and resell games is important to gamers and to Xbox"

I don't care about this as much as letting my brother or relative borrow a game I own, and play it WITHOUT having to pay a fee of any sort. How ridiculous. That needs to be gone.

This is very true...I really don't want to spend money just to let someone borrow a game.

It elicited a chuckle (well, more like a snort/chortle) from me, realizing he was a junior as well. Juniors calling out juniors. The Xbone is bringing the boys to the yard.

actually I wasnt a junior until Bishoptl juniored me right before posting his amusement about it. abuse of power thats cool 0.o

plufim

The video game industry, tired of merely announcing future announcements, has now reached new heights: statements which are announcing future statements.

Xbudz

Nothing has been cleared.
Microsoft are just getting more difficult with wording.

You do not own the Xbox One games you buy if you are forced to authenticate then over and over again.
I will not pay full price to be treated like a criminal.

Ingeniero

At least they have acknowledged that the gamers opinion is not positive and plan to do something about it.
Here's hoping for the best.

Curufinwe

Actually I was thinking of a ban bet; I am willing to accept a ban if he still has his job in one year from now.

I don't see why they would fire him or why he would want to leave. This PR disaster isn't his fault. Everything he's saying on the subject must have been dictated by those above him.

Gold Member
That cleared nothing up at all.

If there was no fees or most of the shit people were worried about was not true they would come straight out and say it, why deal with the negative publicity?

Spun bad news incoming...

What the hell Microsoft? I log into Gaf, see this thread at the top and think 'Finally, finally they spelled it out for us!'

This is How Not to Do PR 101. Although, I loved the 'paste' typo after his 'Q&A' with gamers where he was caught pasting in PR answers.

MS: "Everyone stop overreacting! We haven't even told you idiots how used games will work yet, gosh!

Us: "Alright then, could you please tell us how it works?"

MS: "........no."

bhlaab

I just want to clear things up: It's like bits, on the disc. And you take those bits, and that's on an account. But not your friend's account! If you friend has an account those bits need to go to your friend. Those bits will be on his Xbox One. But then the bits will not be on your Xbox One. To get the bits back on your account you need to take the bits from your friend's account, which will be on the disc, and transfer the bits from the disc onto your own account. If you don't not do that, there won't not be a fee, or not.

cluderi

"Look, let me just confirm that we may confirm that we might clarify our intention to clarify things at a later date. Now that's dealt with can we move onto how you can watch TV with our exciting new watercooler"

They really should. It'll hurt, but then it's done and they can concentrate 100% on the nice stuff. Like presenting games.

I would generally agree but the negative attention they have seen must've put them in full blown panic mode. I for one am happy they are in panic mode as it might make them change their shit policies. If they kill used games I hope this shitbox goes the way of the dodo.

They really should. It'll hurt, but then it's done and they can concentrate 100% on the nice stuff. Like presenting games.
They're taking an opposite tack.

iptOcj0KETe9a.gif

DoomGyver

If they hold off on hard details about their strategy until E3 this current cloud of negativity will overshadow any awesome games they show. A storm is brewing.

C-DubSP

Neo Member
If MS waits until E3 for their so called clarification, that is time better spent for games. Damn MS these days, is like playing Scrabble and starting off with nothing but Ls, they just stay losing.

Satchel

Banned
Anyone else think this COULD work like the Playstation 3 activation/deactivation system?

Harrison said he will be able to give his disc to his son who will be able to play the game in another console.

Now remember, Microsoft took away the family pass thing, and it was speculated this would be re-tooled for Live 3.0. Maybe Microsoft will have a new system where by you become the "main" account holder, and you can add 3 other gamertags to your "family". All 4 of these gamertags can then play the 1 bought game working under the assumption they all live in the same house.

If this was the case, it could actually be a cool way to have a bunch of friends split the cost of games that you'd all get to play. One guy nominates as the "main" account, nominates his 3 buddies as family. All 4 split the cost of games and they all get to play them. Of course online multiplayer games would still be bought by all, but for more single player focused games, it could be cool.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Reminds me so much of recent mouth breathing mandatory-ness.

"Aren't you grateful?"
"Now shut up and go to the real money auction house"
"Please Understand"

I have a feeling Sony is going to be pulling the same types of shenanigans and then I'm going to snuggle up all nice and cozy with Nintendo (and my PC).

Nibiru

Banned
They are having so much trouble communicating the plans because the plans suck balls and the consumers are too smart to buy all the bs.

Top Bottom