• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson teases 'huge announcement' for Xbox BC on November 12th [Edit: Nope]

Wish Sony cared this much about a lot of things. But they don't and never will so ¯_(ツ)_/¯.
That said, BC is a far trickier proposition on the PS4 than it is the X1 and we've known this for awhile.

For sure. I feel shafted compared to Xbox on a lot of things when it comes to ps4 features

Oooh if it's somehow pc disc based BC with 360 games I'm gonna sell my Xbox One. If it's OG Xbox BC on Xbox One I'm extra keeping my Xbox One.

I'm going to pretend that this is a reference to fixing the store and I can finally buy 360 games with my Bing points. I doubt they'll ever do true BC with Xbox games, and it seems weird to announce the announcement of regularly scheduled BC games.

It's nice to want things.

If you're going to try to turn Sony's head on an issue, the best way to do it would be to keep things within the realm of possibility and reality.

It's perfectly understandable why the PS4 doesn't have BC, it doesn't make it any less annoying and a disadvantage over its direct competitor even if it wasn't ever feasible though.

Alienfan

I think it's going to be PC support, I doubt we'll ever see OG Xbox support, it seems like it would take a lot of money to invest, considering it's something that only a few would ever use/care about (I would be very happy though!).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Original Kinect support perhaps?

Could be this too.

Here's the possibilities that would all be pretty big.

1) OG BC
2) 360 on Windows
3) Multi disc getting digital releases
4) USB dongle with 360 wireless protocol opening door for 360 accessory game BC
5) Kinect 1.0 support for Xbox One opening door for Kinect game BC

Personally I'd be rapt with any one of those myself as they all apply to me in one way or another.

Namikaze

Even if BC comes to PC, I'd still want to keep my XB1 for Halo 1-5. Can't think of anything else I'd play on it though, hopefully MS keeps up the PC ports for their next set of exclusives so I can have the option of playing at 60fps.

Edit: Oh wow, original XB support would be amazing. Jet Set Radio and Shenmue would be a good start if they take that route...

Yudoken

Ok, who's betting on pc support?
I definitely not.

It would be so amazing though, especially if you could improve the resolution and performance.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Probably all three Mass Effect games, but hoping for Bully and Tales of Vesperia!

They've never nailed down a date for game announcements. Even RDR. This isn't to announce certain games being BC.

Possibly a CATEGORY of games like Kinect or Accessory based games. Or multi disc games getting digital releases (although Max Payne, Halo 4 and others already do).

Coda

Technically both should be possible in theory. But I'd wager you'd need to install a driver for your DVD drive?

Both would be amazing. I've really have had an itch to play Vanquish again

4fQ1WVJ.gif

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Both would be amazing. I've really have had an itch to play Vanquish again

4fQ1WVJ.gif

I don't think it'll be 360 on Windows 10 only because you'd have to restrict which PCs are capable. You're potentially cutting off a LOT of Windows 10 users.

There's also a lot of PC configurations out there thst the emulator needs to worry about. Too much work I'd say.

BC support on the PC would be incredible, but I don't know why they'd do it and what is in it for them at this stage.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
If the announcement is OG Xbox BC I hope they improve the performace of Kotor and Kotor 2. (I love those games but they were technical messes on the OG Xbox, and 360 BC only made them run worse).
The PC ports don't run that great on modern hardware either so they deserve some TLC.

Coda

I don't think it'll be 360 on Windows 10 only because you'd have to restrict which PCs are capable. You're potentially cutting off a LOT of Windows 10 users.

There's also a lot of PC configurations out there thst the emulator needs to worry about. Too much work I'd say.

Yeah I feel that 360 on PC is unlikely as well. The runner up announcement would be OG Xbox Compatibility on the Xbox One, I would actually probably buy one if they announced that and if all OG Xbox physical discs worked with no hassle, including imports.

If the announcement is OG Xbox BC I hope they improve the performace of Kotor and Kotor 2. (I love those games but they were technical messes on the OG Xbox, and 360 BC only made them run worse).
The PC ports don't run that great on modern hardware either so they deserve some TLC.

the pc version of kotor 2 was updated recently, plays great on pc now

Lazaro

Isn't the OG Xbox turning 15years this month? Could be OG Xbox emulation.

Might also be digital multi-disc 360 games.

C4Lukins

My guess. In order of likelihood.

1. Multi disk digital downloads that do not require the disk. You would still have to purchase said games digitally.
2. OG Xbox backwards compatibility
3. Emulation for previous Sega systems. Again you would have to rebuy the titles digitally.

That is all I got as far as major announcements. Oh and the PC backwards compatibility also, but that sounds like a ton of work with all the online aspects of their previous titles.

But it would make a lot of sense to create an online digital store for PC, and create emulators for those thousands of titles. But you have to get approval for each of them, and I doubt outside of some select titles, you would have any online capabilities. But maybe if they started with singling out single player exclusives, there is enough there to entice people.

My guess is Sega emulation of Dreamcast, Saturn, Sega CD, Genesis, and Master System on the Xbox One and maybe PC. It seems like the least work, with the highest upside.

I would rip into that and spend a ton of money if that was the plan. Add achievements and it could be huge.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Cool. If they allowed games to be patched with higher resolutions like 1080p and 4K. That would be dream come true stuff.

Watch it just be ME trilogy though. (I want a remaster)

BigDug13

It's nice to want things.

If you're going to try to turn Sony's head on an issue, the best way to do it would be to keep things within the realm of possibility and reality.

Ok well if Xbox is going to do BC for a two gen old system, where's our PS1 and PS2 BC? No cell excuse there.

Top Bottom