• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Beer vs ECA Ambassador "Hip Hop Gamer" Twitter feud

codecow

I like hiphopgamer. I find his shows and interviews highly entertaining and I think he is a good representative for gaming consumers.

Let's face it, if you play online with randoms you meet many people that have just completely terrible and insane behavior all day every day and twice on Sunday. Compared to many of these folks, who presumably buy games, hiphopgamer is a scholar and a gentlemen even with his published transgressions taken into account. He does bring some of that attitude to the table and personally I find it refreshing that an entertainment product might not be taken completely seriously, especially if it was not intended to be so.

I'd generally rather hear from someone who has something positive to say about games than someone who is self-admittedly "annoyed".

pastapadre

Neo Member
One of my favorite HHG moments was after E3 when he hyped up NBA Live 13 and said that NBA 2K13 was in big, big trouble. This after seeing practically nothing of it. Of course, only a few months later, Live was deemed not good enough to be a $20 downloadable title and canceled and 2K13 went on to sell 5+ million copies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREHZKqUypA

Weacro

Neo Member
So I've have done my research on HipHopgamer and with the all eyes on the gaming industry. He would be the worst spokes person. Because his past actions (tweets, podcast ect.) he would lose all legitimacy in the eyes of the politicians and journalist. We are being vastly under represented and I have come to the decision to petition the ECA's decision. I will be compiling a list of names from gamers and those within the gaming industry and will sending them to the ECA. I hope many of you will be joining me in speaking out against this foolish decision. If you would like to speak out be sure to track my profile, I well be creating a Facebook page with more information within the week ( 17th - 23) also be sure to e-mail the ECA with your complaint and make your voice heard.

Homophobia, sexism, and ignorance should not and will not represent us.

Robertto

Neo Member
i used to appreciate marcus's opinion, but then i realised he became one of the whiny children he often complains about, maybe its because he feels he need to keep his "annoyed" character going, but hes contradicted himself so many times, on the things he complains about.

i dont hate marcus, just tired of listening to him.

i have never listened to one word hip hop gamer has ever said, he just appears to be a mega games fan and thats fine, but i dont care.

So, as posted above, HHG "responded" to Marcus and, according to his Twitter, to my criticism as well. But the thing is, he didn't address most of my points. I'll re-post them here:

After reading the entire thread, and having been familiar enough with HHG in the past to have an opinion, I've got to say that I'm so fucking tired of people using the straw-man arguement.

First off, people (mostly) do not hate HHG for his style. While most here would probably not say that they find it endearing, his title-wearing and overly enthusiastic ways are more just annoying and not the crux of why people think this is a stupid move on the ECA's part.

Secondly, being a "nice guy" does not excuse the absolutely putrid work he does. I expound on this later.

"But Kotaku/Joystiq/Polygon/whoever is just as bad lolz!" -- At least those sites make an attempt to at least appear unbiased and (bonus!) are able to write (somewhat) properly. But even this is irrelevant as this thread isn't about them. Please stop trying to divert attention away from the topic at hand.

Here is a selection of legitimate criticisms that I feel have not been adequately addressed by him or anyone in this thread:

He stole freebies from a show. Enough said on this, I feel. It's deplorable and no excuse is really good enough. He conveniently leaves this out when "addressing" criticism.

He called someone, among other things, a "faggot." Things happen, sure, but he clearly misrepresents what happened. Also, his defence of "what would you do?" is asinine. If I was told to STFU at a show that I was working at, I'd likely just tell the guy to calm down. The fact that he acts as if his reaction was the only reasonable response, combined with his apology being almost a year later, shows just how immature he is and how he really feels about what happened -- ie: he still thinks he was right.

As was said before, HHG's writing is putrid. Sorry, but as an editor for a (small) newspaper -- I'm an expert! :p -- his writing makes me cringe. That sorry excuse for a "review" of MoH:W was filled with more grammatical and punctuational errors than is even close to reasonable. The fact that he calls himself the "#1 journalist" yet he can't even use the proper "you're" is fucking sad, not to mention his complete inability to express why he likes a game.

There's also the fact that he plagiarized and then tries to play it off like he's "helping" other journalists by giving them exposure. This would be reasonable if he took news they broke, put his own spin on it and credited them clearly. Instead, he literally rips paragraphs from their articles and then plasters his name on the top, thinking a "from *********.com" at the bottom makes it okay.

Then there's the fact that he's a PR shill. The previous comments about Ninja Gaiden 3 are relevant here. Yes, you can disagree with someone about a game -- that's perfectly fine. But if the crux of your argument comes not from your own opinion -- which, as a reviewer, should be easy for HHG -- but from the game's PR, then you're either intellectually dishonest or easily manipulated, with the latter being my guess.

Finally, when he's criticised, he tends to play the race card. Look, racism does exist, and many deal with it daily. I'm sure HHG has unfortunately been involved in some in his life, and that fucking sucks. But by constantly accusing people of being racist, he lessens the whole issue and it ends up looking like "The boy who cried wolf."He takes any accusations of being unprofessional, which he is, as an attack on his race and calls his detractors racists -- despite no one else bringing it up. It's a pathetic shield that only morons can't see right through.

With all of this, it's no wonder that some people may take exception to a lobbying group to name someone like him an "ambassador." Because of this, there's a chance that someone will talk to him because the ECA backs him. In other words, someone who is incompetent, inarticulate, unprofessional, dishonest, easily manipulated, childish and (possibly) racist may be looked at as representing "gamers," thus reinforcing some stereotypes people have about people that play games. Sure, we know that the ECA and HHG are jokes, but does the random CNN/NBC/Fox News viewer?

For those labelling HHG detractors as haters, I feel this is as definitive of a list as any as to why we dislike this move and the logistics behind it.

Even the ones he did -- taking a ton of schwag from an event -- it's hearsay, so I can't really say one way or the other. But I doubt a lot of journalists would have brought it up like they did if they were begging people to take a lot of bags.

He didn't address his poor writing or his plagiarism, nor his tendency to be, for lack of a better term, a fanboy.

And then there's the fact that I still have an issue with his homophobia as was present not only in that incident at the Sony press conference but also on podcasts where he said homosexuals were against god (or something to that effect.)

But there's no point in dwelling on it anyway. I just wanted to say my piece. It's obvious that he doesn't want to change nor to address the quality of his work.

So whatever. Until he actually goes on a show and tries to represents "gamers," I can't really bitch too much more than I already have. *shrug*

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I like hiphopgamer. I find his shows and interviews highly entertaining and I think he is a good representative for gaming consumers.

Let's face it, if you play online with randoms you meet many people that have just completely terrible and insane behavior all day every day and twice on Sunday. Compared to many of these folks, who presumably buy games, hiphopgamer is a scholar and a gentlemen even with his published transgressions taken into account. He does bring some of that attitude to the table and personally I find it refreshing that an entertainment product might not be taken completely seriously, especially if it was not intended to be so.

I'd generally rather hear from someone who has something positive to say about games than someone who is self-admittedly "annoyed".

thats the problem, HHG never has anything bad to say about a game. thats a problem. every game has flaws and if the flaws are critical then they should be talked about dont you agree?

HHG sounds like an eloquent well behaved young man. Great diction and sentence structure...

Annoyed Gamer... whatever, "blah blah blah, i'm mad about something" and so on.

TaroYamada

I wouldn't expect somebody calling themselves the Hip Hop Gamer to be a particularly good ambassador candidate, I've heard of him but always avoided him explicitly due to his title.

HHG sounds like an eloquent well behaved young man. Great diction and sentence structure...

Annoyed Gamer... whatever, "blah blah blah, i'm mad about something" and so on.

It's so funny, I never knew who Hip Hop Gamer was before this thread, once I heard about him, I rolled my eyes, but then I watched two of his (past) shows, and my opinion about him totally changed, he seems like a cool dude, and the picture Marcus painted of him I found very unfair.

Not that I cared for Marcus and his half baked interest and knowledge in the game industry, I now respect him even less, if that's even possible.

So in a nut shell: thank you Marcus Beer for introducing me to another gaming "Journalist" Who actually happens to be ten times more entertaining, passionate and I dare to say in tune with the gaming industry than you ever will be. If it wasn't for Invisible Walls, I wouldn't care for your presence in this industry. (Surly that show can have a better host too.)

my only experience with HHG was his recent video of him demo'ing the Oculus Rift and it was awful. Nothing insightful all he kept saying was "WOAAAH THIS IS CAAARAZY Y'ALL!! CRAZY!". The guy demo'ing it for him seemed like he wish he was anywhere else but there. I don't get the appeal, but hell the guy must be doing something right so more power to him.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeahhhh... Not a fan of HHG. Or the idea of him "representing the industry". For someone who is proclaiming to want a "professional" discussion, he sure doesn't act very professional.

I remember he had a video from a distance, seeing Stephen Totilo playing some Wii game (that gladitorial fighting game??), and judging from his face alone, you could tell he wasn't digging it. Which... to be fair, it didn't look good. At all. Now remember, this is still HHG's video OF Stephen Totilo. He follows it up with an interview with the SEGA rep or whoever, and straight up asks him "YO, what was Totilo's problem, man?!"

Like... I get YOU are enthusiastic about it, dude, and that's great... but... calling out other people like that IN AN INTERVIEW for NOT being into it?? Like, what?? The rep just was put in this super fucking awkward position of being like "Well.. he can like whatever he wants... uhh...."

Since then, NEVER wanted to ever view that guy's content again. That... yeah. No.

That said, Marcus Beer is his own particular brand of asshole, and his content can mean just as little to me, whether I agree with his rants or not.

Cartman86

Banned
YouTube has made it possible for dumbass losers who would live on welfare checks otherwise to somehow become self-absorbed internet celebrities. What a world we live in.

Really? People like you make me say "What a world we live in." HHG is the kind of person I can't stand. Both as an entertainment persona and if his comments about homosexuals are anything to go by not as a human being as well. I recognize our common humanity so I hope he can evolve on these matters. People sweeping all his shit under the rug by dismissing them as simple character flaws that everyone has isn't a solution. This ignorant racist shit has got to stop though.

Welfare checks eh....

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup, good catch. Kinda proves HHG's point.

I think you may be misunderstanding what he means. I don't speak for him, but I'm fairly confident that he meant "people who are lazy, talentless, and who have no desire to improve their work would usually be on welfare," and not, you know, "he's black" or whatever you're trying to pin on him. He said it poorly, but what can you do? I don't think HHG would be on welfare without YT, but others are free to disagree. Hell, he already had a career in rap before he got into his current gig. Although . . . I feel the same about rap and talentless hacks, but I'll just stop there. :p

That being said, we both read something different so he's the only one that can express what he really meant.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hiphopgamer got in some more twitter arguments today based on some PS4 #shotsfired tweet or something.

I'm getting bored of this "he's the most passionate gamer" or whatever, it's patronising to a lot of people who are also passionate. His followers on N4G used to make me laugh

"I disagree about your remarks on the PC HHG"

"let the haters hate HHG, you keepin it real"

Ffs

spirity

Hiphopgamer got in some more twitter arguments today based on some PS4 #shotsfired tweet or something.

I'M GOING TO randomly talk IN CAPS YOU FEEL ME while i pose for a PHOTO in front OF A BMW as i point AT THE CAMERA #SHOTSFIRED LOL LOL

Top Bottom