• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Beer vs ECA Ambassador "Hip Hop Gamer" Twitter feud

Kusagari

Mercus Beer after Kojima's VGA speech :

"If you wanna come and present a video at the video game awards in the US learn the fucking language so you can say your speech...learn it...biggest fucking insult of the night was him up there dicking around not able to speak the language...""

What a fool!

Wow.

This puts his Kamiya rant in an entirely new context.

"If you wanna come and present a video at the video game awards in the US learn the fucking language so you can say your speech...learn it...biggest fucking insult of the night was him up there dicking around not able to speak the language...""

What a fool!
That guy is a piece of shit.

What a fool!

Was this the same episode where Marcus Beer basically called Kojuma an asshole for having his team apologize for not being able to complete Metal Gear Rising? Can anyone find the episode? It might have been a different one. I can't remember the exact phrase but I know he insulted Kojima and basically called him an asshole.

Orca

YouTube has made it possible for dumbass losers who would live on welfare checks otherwise to somehow become self-absorbed internet celebrities. What a world we live in.

I think that blame falls on TLC (for Honey Boo Boo and a ton of other crap) and whoever it was that greenlit Jersey Shore.

Was this the same episode where Marcus Beer basically called Kojuma an asshole for having his team apologize for not being able to complete Metal Gear Rising?

Yes it was the same episode where he called him an asshole (among other things: "the guy [Kojima] can suck my balls..")

Can anyone find the episode? It might have been a different one. I can't remember the exact phrase but I know he insulted Kojima and basically called him an asshole.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/tphfih/invisible-walls-episode-190 (Marcus' rant starts at 46:18)

What a fool!
That's really bad. You can not like Marcus Beer and still not like HHG, though; it's not like anyone has to pick sides.

Mesoian

I wasn't aware of Marcus Beer before this thread.

They're both terrible, and honestly I have no idea how either of them have deals at their respective publishers. If I was the senior editor on staff, I would have dropped them both.

xenist

Marcus Beer has my eternal loyalty for calling EA's Frank Gibeau a "rank bastard" for his "let's get social gaming in to every game" bullshit on Weekend Confirmed. Made doubly great by his accent. Hearing Garnet sucking air was so fun.

HHG is a joke. And a bad joke too.

meta4

What a fool!

Yup. I hate that guy. A racist prick. I really felt sorry for Kojima in that episode.

Damn... and he has room to talk about someone else.

Where is the DyslexicAlucard police force on this?

At which point did I say a single positive thing about Beer?

I brought up the plethora of issues with HHG because people were either blatantly ignoring them or completely unaware of them and were saying that "people just hate on him because he's enthusiastic/said 'faggot' once" etc. etc.. I'm not reading anyone saying, "People only hate Marcus because he's British/loud." Not to mention the order of magnitude difference between the skeletons in HHG's closet Vs. Beer's.

So nice try.

mcdoomington

Neo Member
Can we just ignore both of them and let their internet drama go on somewhere else?

At this point, I'd say there's more Internet drama in this thread than there is between HHG and Beer.

lifHnjX.jpg

I remember when the "Hip-Hop Gamer" was up and coming. Essentially all he did was take the top articles off of N4G, combine them into one segment and use a title with sensationalism to get a lot of clicks. He rarely did the research himself, a lot of his content was wrong and half-baked.

I haven't watched him in years so I don't really know where he stands now or what he does. I can say though if he is following similar patterns he shouldn't represent gaming.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm reading this thread and I can't stop thinking "Who the hell is hiphopgamer?"

fvng

What a fool!

He gave a response to your specific post on twitter

I know I don't like HipHopGamer (other than for my aforementioned unintentional-lols) and I've never heard of this beers guy until now.

What's really troubling me is that I can't decide when name I hate more.

HipHopGamer

AnnoyedGamer

God they are both just such fucking putrid names. Completely generic terms that don't even really make any sense without context. HipHopGamer... like he only plays games with hip hop in them. Or he is hip hop, and he is a gamer. Does anyone say "hi, I am hip hop!" And AnnoyedGamer. Is he annoyed that he is a gamer? Is he annoyed with the games? Is he annoyed by other stuff and is a gamer.

And is there a worse word than gamer?

I hate these people.

It was during last year's Wedbush E3 event that the alleged theft took place. Unfortunate stuff. Suddenly there were many fewer gift bags than there were people on the guest list, and organizers were understandably upset.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOh, so it was HipHopGamer who took those 12 gift bags from GDC last year! I remember hearing about that on the Bombcast, but they wouldn't say who actually did it.

Speaking of stealing bags - how about the Intel/Pachter E3 '12 party where HHG and his friends made off with a few dozen Intel/Razer gift bags? Talk about poor form...

Is this the same event that is being talked about? Or does this guy go to multiple events and do this?

Either way, I don't normally pay attention to these reporters. And the more I hear about them, doesn't leave me with a great impression. I don't think I would want either one as a representative for me or my gaming habits.

jaosobno

What a fool!

So Marcus fucked up. How odd, one would think he's infallible when listening to his rant against HHG.

By reading the post above one can easily find traces of xenophobia and racism. So DyslexicAlucard, see how easy it is to crucify someone as soon as they slip up?

rvy

Banned

What a fool!

Hey, dipshit. Do you know how to speak fluent Japanese? No? Then shut the fuck up. You do? Then stop being an asshole about it.

What a fool!

seriously? damn, now I hate him forever. won't be watching anything he's hosting from now on. what a prick.

KissVibes

Banned

What a fool!

Is he talking about the 2011 appearance? If so, I can see a reason to be annoyed. Not to such a degree but its frustrating seeing anyone speak a language they aren't good at when a translator can easily do the job.

Baby Milo

YouTube has made it possible for dumbass losers who would live on welfare checks otherwise to somehow become self-absorbed internet celebrities. What a world we live in.

that is an interesting thought about a guy who worked his ass off to get where he is

So Marcus fucked up. How odd, one would think he's infallible when listening to his rant against HHG.

By reading the post above one can easily find traces of xenophobia and racism. So DyslexicAlucard, see how easy it is to crucify someone as soon as they slip up?

I've already addressed your false equivalency and straw-man argument. That's not even mentioning the fact that HHG was announced the ambassador, not Beer.

If you do not get it at this juncture, then there's no point even addressing you any longer.

remnant

Banned
I've already addressed your false equivalency and straw-man argument. That's not even mentioning the fact that HHG was announced the ambassador, not Beer.

If you do not get it at this juncture, then there's no point even addressing you any longer.

Many people here, and yeah i would include you just shatted on HHG for being this terrible person, the ECA should be ashamed, blah blah blah for like 8 pages. Now the shoe's on the other foot.

get it?

jaosobno

An eloquent non-answer. But you are correct, we should definitely stop addressing each other.

Hokhoku

Banned
"I will kick your ass, pussy bitch punk faggot"

Hahaha this is ridiculous....

The are many ways to prove you are right and cursing isn't one of them....

El-Suave

The part about the gift bags really cracks me up - is the video game press that's arguing about missing gift bags here (apparently including Giant Bomb) the same people that recently strongly argued that PR presents and publisher gifts mean NOTHING to them?

You can't have it both ways.

Hey, dipshit. Do you know how to speak fluent Japanese? No? Then shut the fuck up. You do? Then stop being an asshole about it.

While Microsofts E3 conferences had some cringy worhy Kinenect sections, they were always professional. I personally didn't mind Kojima's English, but I can see how someone would. Speak English well, or have a translator.

He gave a response to your specific post on twitter

Link?

xenist

When one is adressing the public in a business setting one should be expected to have a minimum level of comfort and ability in articulation. Hero worship does not factor in this.

Or would you prefer it like:

When U are the speaking of the public haz to make senz. Or 1 maek fan.

The part about the gift bags really cracks me up - is the video game press that's arguing about missing gift bags here (apparently including Giant Bomb) the same people that recently strongly argued that PR presents and publisher gifts mean NOTHING to them?

You can't have it both ways.

I think the issue they had was with someone taking advantage of the situation more than the "Oh, no, I don't get free stuff." It perpetuates a stereotype of greed and makes them all look bad.

Also, I think the statement about PR gifts was more about people thinking that those items buy favor. It's insulting to someone to say they can be bribed, especially in an industry where your career lives or dies based on your integrity. Doubly so when you work for a website that started because someone was fired for refusing to bow to publisher pressure because said publisher bought ads on the site.

Like Adam Sessler said, your statement is no different than saying "Do you fuck your mom?"

Top Bottom