• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario 3D World new pics

The change in opinion towards this game is insane. There might be three negative comments in the first five pages, and one of them is from a guy known to have an agenda regarding this game.

Seeing this thread in comparison to the E3 one is really cool. I'm glad Nintendo finally won people over with what's going to be a really great game.

VanWinkle

Looks INCREDIBLE. Really impressed by the turnaround this game has made since the insanely disappointing E3 showing. Of course, some of the Nintendo fans will defend anything Nintendo, so there was some of that back then, but now nobody even NEEDS to defend it. It looks great.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The change in opinion towards this game is insane. There might be three negative comments in the first five pages, and one of them is from a guy known to have an agenda regarding this game.

Seeing this thread in comparison to the E3 one is really cool. I'm glad Nintendo finally won people over with what's going to be a really great game.

the baffling cold reception at E3 was really out of proportion, as if EAD Tokyo's monstrous portfolio suddenly didn't count arse anymore. Sure, it was a bad showing, but how could anyone possibly think that Nintendo would screw up a mainline Mario game?

Coolwhip

Banned
I like how Nintendo games in HD basically look like Toy Story. Playable toys. Or in the case of Wind Waker playable cartoons. Good stuff.

BigDug13

the baffling cold reception at E3 was really out of proportion, as if EAD Tokyo's monstrous portfolio suddenly didn't count arse anymore. Sure, it was a bad showing, but how could anyone possibly think that Nintendo would screw up a mainline Mario game?

It really looked like they moved a 3DS sequel over to Wii-U at first though, that was the big issue. The graphics have since been moved to a whole other level since. It looks fantastic now.

But there was nothing baffling about its reception at E3.

-PXG-

95997_Cat_Mario_01.jpg

95982_Items_1_.jpg

Dem Goombas look insanely good.

This + others already posted = GODDAMN its beauuuutiful!

Nintendo games in HD. Serious shit bruv. That first shot is lovely.

Man, this game looks fucking glorious. At least I don't feel as bad about being down on this game when it was revealed during E3 because it seems the majority of people felt the same. I'm so glad that I was wrong though, it has just shot my expectations through the roof. Now I can see this game possibly being better than Galaxy if they keep showing the degree of variety that has been thrown at us the past few weeks.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Given that the loudest voices in the anti-3D World brigade from E3 til the new trailer are still shooting their mouths off about it, I am ready to accept the fact that much of the "backlash" was drummed up trolling. Not that many people weren't disappointed, but it was the same 3-5 guys spamming every thread with dissertations on how the game was an affront to the industry that made the reception seem worse than it was.

Axonometri

Looking awesome!

Not to diminish the amazing art and over all look but Why are the cloud trails solid? Why can't they add alpha to the marshmallow poop trails? So they don't look like every character has a whip cream can stuck up his honker. I don't think it would conflict with the art style to have a few technical flavors. I am sure the Wii U can handle this.

Second... What is with the aliasing? I would assume from what I can make out from these shots that they have enough reserve power for at least a low level anti-aliasing pass?

Second... What is with the aliasing? I would assume from what I can make out from these shots that they have enough reserve power for at least a low level anti-aliasing pass?

Probably to maintain 60fps. The amount of characters on screen should be taken into account I suppose. If 4 players are playing and each one picks up a Cherry or two...

Can you start up the system and game with a pro controller? I remember I could do this with the wii remote. Not sure which controller I should get.

mattx5

If you had shown me this game in 1990 and said this is what Mario is going to look like in the future I would have cried tears of joy.

I loved Mario 64, Sunshine and the Galaxy games. But this looks like SMB 2/3/World translated directly to 3D.

The more surreal the Mario game, the more I love them, and this seems to have supercharged all the surreal elements like suits, warp pipes, POW blocks, chargin chucks, etc. of the 2D games.

Lumyst

I've seen those pow blocks that blow up glass bricks in a chain reaction, what are those for? Can't just be for eye candy :p

Seriously, if someone had shown me these screenshots and told me they were from Super Mario Galaxy 3, I would've believed them. In a way, I actually think this could end up being a better Mario game than those ones, as superb as they are. Something about 3D Land felt more like an authentic Mario experience than the Galaxy games, but just needed a bit more variety to it to be truly something special. This will be that game, apparently. This will justify many Wii U purchases for some, and give many others a reason to pick one up.

Axonometri

Probably to maintain 60fps. The amount of characters on screen should be taken into account I suppose. If 4 players are playing and each one picks up a Cherry or two...

Right... Good point. Looking back through the shots A couple that stood out at first look like they are shots with camera zoomed in or they are cropped shots because the size of the jaggies is awful large. Too large for 1280X720 I think.

Excellent point though... I honestly would take gameplay like 10 to 20 player characters and 10 NPC over anti-aliasing.

Looking at these screens give me the exact same feelings I had when I was a kid looking at Mario 64 in Nintendo Power!! I simply can't wait to share this with my kids.

Top Bottom