• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC 2 - Full races

Azure J

I love that even without being in 200cc, Big Blue already looks amazing. Throw in Frantic mode and it's definitely going to be a hilarious raceway.

phanphare

Banned
You won't. I will avoid those damn breaks. I hate breaks, there should just be a more stronger drift if the game really cannot be played without choosing between breaking and bumping into walls. There is no brake in F-Zero X / GX either! (Or so I pretend, there is a button that lets you break, but what kind of crazy person would use that? Speedspeedspeed!)

also isn't the brake mapped to one of the face buttons? like I'm gonna take my finger off the acceleration to brake....psshhhhh yeah right

me and lakitu are about to be bros

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Who said anything about brakes in this game?

Just let go the acceleration.

Letting go the acceleration is also completely inacceptable. This hampers the speed. Either it is possible to drive through all courses without ever going off acceleration, braking or bumping into walls, or I'll be mad and demand another update that adds a stronger drift- Preferrably the one from F-Zero X / GX that actually makes you go faster when driving through corners :).

AdanVC

This DLC 2 is officially 100x better than DLC1 and DLC1 was already extremely awesome. MK8 developers outdid themselves big time with this new courses, new songs, characters, etc. It's like they mastered the game engine where MK8 was created and now they are just having fun creating the craziest and most beautiful looking stages. It would be a sin if this is the final DLC the game will receive. They need to announced DLC 3 at E3!!!

OR A FREAKING F-ZERO GAME!1

NwXNyhh.png

Kung Fu Lakitu
Yes please.

Ribbon Road is so good.

FUCKKK Nintendo just having the greatest time developing this game and including all kinds of crazy references such as this. I love it!!

I love that even without being in 200cc, Big Blue already looks amazing. Throw in Frantic mode and it's definitely going to be a hilarious raceway.

I completely forgot about frantic mode. Frantic + 200cc + Baby Park.

It's going to look like Call of Duty's Shipment map with 32 players.

I still have faith this is coming in the next DLC batch.

I really hope so. I haven't picked up the game yet because of that reason.

This DLC is urging me to get it and I probably will not too far from now, but I would have bought ASAP if it had a battle mode similar to DD.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Super Bell Subway is really dull, I agree, also a shame that turned out to be the "Super Bell" level instead of one that actually looked like something from 3D World.

Neiteio

Since no one will say it, Super Bell Subway may be the best designed track in this DLC.
Yeah, Super Bell Subway looks amazing. Branching paths, multi-level paths, trains you dodge, trains you can ride on, etc. I'm also loving the Old England vibe. Good stuff.

I think Big Blue might be the most impressive design-wise, though. The spiral at the start, fast lanes and slow lanes, split paths, overlapping paths, anti-gravity, boost rings, the water current, etc. And in terms of presentation, I love how the music isn't interrupted by each lap (unlike N64 Rainbow Road and Mount Wario), and I love the "Yeah, it's the final lap!" SO GOOD.

But the course that makes me happiest is probably Ribbon Road.

I've only seen two screenshots of it.

In any case, like DLC 1 I expect there to be stiff competition for "best track."

My favorite track in DLC 1 is Ice Ice Outpost.

A lot of people here don't like it.

That's the beauty of Mario Kart.

"One's trash is another's treasure" epitomizes this game pretty well.

Teknoman

Kung fu lakitu was also in Dragon Driftway.

Please don't let no battle mode deter you. The game is too fun and quality to pass up.

Errrr?!?! What's the point of bringing back Baby Park if they leave out the single most important part of it - the low divider in the middle. Shells flying all over the place was why I liked that one.

At this point, couldn't a new F-Zero game be built on the MK8 engine, using many of the MK8 assets? The two are almost one and the same now. It'd be like creating more DLC.

Serick

Married Member
This makes me regret that I haven't played Mario Kart in awhile. Will definitely be picking these up, Ribbon Road looks especially amazing.

javac

The thing that blows my mind is the amount of details in the background in this game, and it all just looks mindbogglingly amazing. Don't know how they do it. I ended up selling the game not too long ago begrudgingly but I need to buy it back asap.

i actually think it's the worst. look isn't' appealing and i hate traffic on the tracks. just not enough charm.

This is how I feel as well. I feel very meh about the Subway track. Looks incredibly boring from an aesthetic/design standpoint. It might be fun to play, though.

phanphare

Banned
This is how I feel as well. I feel very meh about the Subway track. Looks incredibly boring from an aesthetic/design standpoint. It might be fun to play, though.

agreed but I'm holding off judgement because some of the more boring looking tracks to me turned out to be really fun to race on

Once again the F-Zero track is the stand out (for me). It makes me feel like this (and the 200cc) is Nintendos answer for F-Zero fans. It is a sad, empty answer.

agreed but I'm holding off judgement because some of the more boring looking tracks to me turned out to be really fun to race on

Oh yeah for sure. I think it will be a fun track personally, but I'm just not a fan of how it looks. Especially when you compare it to something amazing like Ribbon Road.

i assume they wont change anything physics related for a true battle mode right? They only need to build the arenas....i wonder if the number of players is an issue here, Mario Kart DD was the closest to snes arenas without being the same arenas, specially that cake one. But 12 players battle mode might create challenges for build these.

lt519

Bad quality picture but I love the amazing attention to detail. Others have gone to great length to show how all the Mario Kart tracks exist in the same world and this subway track is actually racing underneath them all. We're at Golden Bell and you can see the various other tracks and names on the subway map list:

dvSpBmZ.png

I think the order is:

Yoshi Valley, Water Park, Toad Harbor, Golden Bell, Ribbon Road, Baby Park, Rainbow Road, Cheese Land, Yoshi Circuit

It's just cool how they tie game together so well.

Davey Cakes

My favorite track in DLC 1 is Ice Ice Outpost.

A lot of people here don't like it.

That's the beauty of Mario Kart.

"One's trash is another's treasure" epitomizes this game pretty well.
Ice Ice Outpost grew on me.

I'd order the courses like this:

1. Hyrule Castle
2. Mute City
3. Dragon Driftway
4. Rainbow Road SNES
5. Yoshi Circuit GC
6. Ice Ice Outpost
7. Wario's Gold Mine
8. Excitebike Arena

The top 4 are interchangeable though.

Oh wow that 200CC Baby Park. One lap is less than 10 seconds, there's 7 laps and the music goes faster every lap. Ahh my god I am going to curse a lot playing this.

Ok, look, just do this:

F-Zero Wii U is a downloadable title only, based on a very tweaked version of the mario kart engine. They release a pack of 5 tracks for 10 dollars each every month for six months, giving them time to design each track and see how well each pack performs.

You can buy a "season pass" for 50 bucks, but you get a discount if you bought the DLC for Mario Kart, bringing it down to 40 bucks.

Is it optimal? No, but if it allowed a new F-Zero to happen, I'd be all for it.
You start the petition to get this to happen and I'm right there beside you, buddy.

Pizza

is that a pink gold baby peach

CCpZ5LVVAAAjrfb.png:medium

Oh god I can't believe they did this. Dlc2 made Mario kart 8 go from my favorite Mario kart to an almost perfect Mario kart.

I sat around bsing before release about cheese land, baby park, ribbon road and neo browser city. They were all too perfect and too good to be true. Or so I thought.

Well played Nintendo, give me character dlc plz

Top Bottom