• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC 2 - Full races

AdanVC

Me when listening the new Big Blue theme

tumblr_inline_ng7uwrGapj1qlaliq.gif

I can't stop listening is so good good good helpp

Neiteio

Best retro track in the game. I'll fight you if you disagree.

It may be straighforward, but it's just so damn satisfying constantly drifting on all those turns.
Yeah, really bummed by GameXplain hatin' on this track. It's just a really great course with lots of twists and turns in a really slick setting.

Azuran

Banned
Yeah, really bummed by GameXplain hatin' on this track. It's just a really great course with lots of twists and turns in a really slick setting.

GameXplain hating? Get Ash in here so he can personally apologize to me for offending me!

RagnarokX

I really love the amount of detail on Ribbon Road.

Here's an overview of the whole course where you can see that it's divided into 3 sections/castles: red/pink, green, and blue.
i1Ve2wHAnLCP8.jpg

The red/pink castle has essentially a Princess Peach motif going for it with white bricks and pink roofs, red carpet for the road, and toy toads cheering from the sides. The towers are topped with pink flags with stars on them, but the stars have a space missing from the middle like launch stars. The toy toads are pretty much straight out of Mario vs Donkey Kong.
ibgCz8XqcQvVpT.jpg

When you enter and exit each castle you do so through a gate with an emblem representing that castle. Here we see the emblem for the Peach castle is a super bell; most likely because it is the bell cup. The wallpaper and starting line sign also feature super bells.
igQyWJ8amMQ8X.jpg

And of course the emblem for the green castle is Bowser.
ijSi8kKmGwHhU.jpg

The Bowser's Castle section is the shortest of the 3. It features Bowser-colored orange and black bricks with Bowser shells and black Bowser flags topping the towers. Mecha koopas roam around the road.
ib140ou0OPdDHZ.jpg

Finally you leap across a gap and fly into the next castle which is represented by a luma emblem.
ib03QA6E0bpF1b.jpg

This castle features white/very light blue bricks and light blue bricks and roofs topped with stars. Unlike the other castles the road isn't built on any kind of foundation and instead hangs from the multiple gateways as if it is floating in space. Multiple objects surrounding this section of track enhance the space motif such as the presents and bedsheet featuring stars and the part of the track that makes you look at the globe of planet Earth on the shelf.
iSpiABCq1osFT.jpg

ibgUhhRkMJTEMW.jpg

iDwiJR9oEyZob.jpg

Each castle also has a matching yarn yoshi in the Wooly World Amiibo colors watching over each one:
iCJUmuhz0XhKv.jpg

iwNDc3PGa6u8l.jpg

ibvtuTlB0n3Yn3.jpg

(There's also a second green and blue one watching from high shelves)

In this shot you can see that the track came in a toy kit. Baby Mario is playing with it in the box art.
iwNDc3PGa6u8l.jpg

Some of the gift boxes feature red and green shells and Mario 3D World Toad icons, except toad is red here.
ibaPWmEVkPObFh.jpg

And of course there are the numerous toy karts, the clown car jack in the boxes, the boomerang, Yoshi's Dice Game, etc. Great track.

Neiteio

Here's an overview of the whole course where you can see that it's divided into 3 sections/castles: red/pink, green, and blue.
i1Ve2wHAnLCP8.jpg

The red/pink castle has essentially a Princess Peach motif going for it with white bricks and pink roofs, red carpet for the road, and toy toads cheering from the sides. The towers are topped with pink flags with stars on them, but the stars have a space missing from the middle like launch stars. The toy toads are pretty much straight out of Mario vs Donkey Kong.
ibgCz8XqcQvVpT.jpg

When you enter and exit each castle you do so through a gate with an emblem representing that castle. Here we see the emblem for the Peach castle is a super bell; most likely because it is the bell cup. The wallpaper and starting line sign also feature super bells.
igQyWJ8amMQ8X.jpg

And of course the emblem for the green castle is Bowser.
ijSi8kKmGwHhU.jpg

The Bowser's Castle section is the shortest of the 3. It features Bowser-colored orange and black bricks with Bowser shells topping the towers. Mecha koopas roam around the road.
ib140ou0OPdDHZ.jpg

Finally you leap across a gap and fly into the next castle which is represented by a luma emblem.
ib03QA6E0bpF1b.jpg

This castle features white/very light blue bricks and light blue bricks and roofs topped with stars. Unlike the other castles the road isn't built on any kind of foundation and instead hangs from the multiple gateways as if it is floating in space. Multiple objects surrounding this section of track enhance the space motif such as the presents featuring stars and the part of the track that makes you look at the globe of planet Earth on the shelf.
iSpiABCq1osFT.jpg

ibgUhhRkMJTEMW.jpg

iDwiJR9oEyZob.jpg

Each castle also has a matching yarn yoshi in the Wooly World Amiibo colors watching over each one:
iCJUmuhz0XhKv.jpg

iwNDc3PGa6u8l.jpg

ibvtuTlB0n3Yn3.jpg

(There's also a second blue one watching from a high shelf)

In this shot you can see that the track came in a toy kit. Baby Mario is playing with it in the box art.
iwNDc3PGa6u8l.jpg

Some of the gift boxes feature red and green shells and Mario 3D World Toad icons, except toad is red here.
ibaPWmEVkPObFh.jpg

And of course there are the numerous toy karts, the clown car jack in the boxes, the boomerang, Yoshi's Dice Game, etc. Great track.
Quoting the whole thing since it's so nice that people should see it twice!

Excellent analysis!

Mory Dunz

agreed but I'm holding off judgement because some of the more boring looking tracks to me turned out to be really fun to race on

Ice Ice Outpost looked boring to me in its reveal, but playing on it has been really fun.

EDIT:
I just watched the ribbon road comparison vid.
um, wow. haha
It's almost not even a "retro" track at that point. It's basically a new level.

jgwhiteus

snip

This is what's impressed me so much about all the DLC tracks, and about Mario Kart 8 in general - it's the great amount of detail, but also specifically the amount of "creative" detail, as opposed to "technical" detail.

Like, a lot of games out there have technical detail - "ooh, I can see the individual threads on her shirt", or "each of the leaves on the tree is individually modeled." And that's certainly impressive and deserves praise (and MK8 has great technical detail too, don't get me wrong - love the little things like how mustaches and hair are animated, or how shells cast shadows on the track when they break).

But MK8's DLC has impressed me the most with its level of creative detail: "the Ribbon Road track uses iconography from previous Mario games on gift-wrapped boxes and wallpaper, and includes Amiibo toys in the background", "the subway uses custom Mario-themed graffiti art and subway ads and has an underground metro map that shows how all MK8 courses are connected", "Baby Park has original amusement park attractions that play off popular characters and locations and would actually be awesome in a real amusement park." Many / most players won't even notice these details as they're zooming by, but those who bother to take a look will find a lot of things to appreciate.

These are things that require a lot of thought, imagination, and humor from the development team, and also serve as a kind of a love letter to the Mario franchise and to fans as well. You could have a huge team of modelers working to make the most realistic surfaces ever in a racing game, and it still wouldn't make me smile the same way as when I notice a Kung Fu Lakitu poster just barely visible on a wall in the background. Just a huge and admirable amount of polish.

Banzai

Man these are looking great. Maybe the inclusion of Baby Park will finally convince some of my friends to make the jump from Double Dash.

Roo

This is what's impressed me so much about all the DLC tracks, and about Mario Kart 8 in general - it's the great amount of detail, but also specifically the amount of "creative" detail, as opposed to "technical" detail.

Like, a lot of games out there have technical detail - "ooh, I can see the individual threads on her shirt", or "each of the leaves on the tree is individually modeled." And that's certainly impressive and deserves praise (and MK8 has great technical detail too, don't get me wrong - love the little things like how mustaches and hair are animated, or how shells cast shadows on the track when they break).

But MK8's DLC has impressed me the most with its level of creative detail: "the Ribbon Road track uses iconography from previous Mario games on gift-wrapped boxes and wallpaper, and includes Amiibo toys in the background", "the subway uses custom Mario-themed graffiti art and subway ads and has an underground metro map that shows how all MK8 courses are connected", "Baby Park has original amusement park attractions that play off popular characters and locations and would actually be awesome in a real amusement park." Many / most players won't even notice these details as they're zooming by, but those who bother to take a look will find a lot of things to appreciate.

These are things that require a lot of thought, imagination, and humor from the development team, and also serve as a kind of a love letter to the Mario franchise and to fans as well. You could have a huge team of modelers working to make the most realistic surfaces ever in a racing game, and it still wouldn't make me smile the same way as when I notice a Kung Fu Lakitu poster just barely visible on a wall in the background. Just a huge and admirable amount of polish.

That's what I admire of Mario as a franchise/concept/icon
Nintendo has been so consistent on expanding the Mario Universe to the point spinoff projects can create their own worlds based on elements from it.
From stuff like coins and mushrooms to characters having their unique emblem to represent them.

They have over 30 years or history and elements to play with. No wonder Ribbon Road and many tracks in this game are filled to the brim with details we have seen in other Mario games.

Look at the Super Bell for example. It started as an power up in Super Mario 3D World and now it's and entire cup and track based on it.
It's building it's own legacy. Who knows... maybe it'll be an item in Smash 6, or a Board in Mario Party 11 or a collectible in Animal Crossing.

Mory Dunz

it's some what right cause you can get through that shit track faster on 200cc

Do the automobiles change speed on the different CCs in Toad's turnpike? I could check myself...but

If they do, it'd be cool if 200CC got like a super boost. And the outside cars were slightly slower than you. That'd make it interesting.

Banzai

What the game needs now, apart from battle mode, is a letting us select the number of laps for each race in VS.

Baby Park, 200cc, 50 laps.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement.

50 sounds like overkill, but you're right. Baby Park on 200cc with 15-20 rounds would be cool.

Neiteio

I like all of the Pack #2 tracks, including Neo Bowser City. I think it's just a solid layout with a really great aesthetic. I love rain levels and the look of slick pavement reflecting neon lights. :)

I like all of the Pack #2 tracks, including Neo Bowser City. I think it's just a solid layout with a really great aesthetic. I love rain levels and the look of slick pavement reflecting neon lights. :)

It's not my favorite by any stretch but it's not boring and abysmal like many say.

I think a lot of people look for flair and presentation and craziness over solid racing turns and layout.

Like 8's Rainbow Road; Is it off the charts insanely creative???

No.

Is it a track that involves a lot of skill???

You bet.

Roo

Baby Park is such a shitty, uninspired track.

Baby Park was mostly a technical choice.
The development team only had 1GB to play with and considering Ribbon Road and Big Blue are huge ass tracks and the 4 seasons in Animal Crossing, it makes sense they went with a small track to compensate the others.

Edit: Unless you mean as a whole, then yeah, I agree lol

Seiniyta

Baby Park was mostly a technical choice.
The development team only had 1GB to play with and considering Ribbon Road and Big Blue are huge ass tracks and the 4 seasons in Animal Crossing, it makes sense they went with a small track to compensate the others.

Edit: Unless you mean as a whole, then yeah, I agree lol

Baby Park still could end up having a bigger filesize then Big Blue. It depends how much texture space each track takes etc.

Azure J

Best retro track in the game. I'll fight you if you disagree.

It may be straighforward, but it's just so damn satisfying constantly drifting on all those turns.

Man, it'd be so damn hard to pick one retro course as the king of the retros given how Mario Kart 8 makes retro courses feel like stages in Mario Kart 12 with how crazy they become, but NBC is far from the first pick.

Wait does Baby Park's music up the tempo on every lap? That's incredible.

Sinceresly I would have taken the final lap chime out of it, Theres not enough time to hear the crazy version because the lap finish in like 5 seconds.
But yeah, loved the touch of upping up the tempo on each lap.

Top Bottom