• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
In fairness, the way incoming damage works in the game now heavily favors ranged heroes while pretty much all melee heroes are boned in, say, cosmic terminals. And stacking defense and dodge doesn't really help as much as it should.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
In fairness, the way incoming damage works in the game now heavily favors ranged heroes while pretty much all melee heroes are boned in, say, cosmic terminals. And stacking defense and dodge doesn't really help as much as it should.

I put my post on the forums about the dodge cap. leave it at 100% avoidance (including debuffs/interrupts) and hard cap dodge chance. then add/leave 100% dodge powers on dodge-y characters like Spidey. It makes dodge useful but prevents users from stacking like 80% dodge making encounters trivial.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm posting from my phone causing some laziness. I meant I'm in for a Hawkeye and Cap only group for leveling.

nah i just assumed, its my bad. I just wanna play :p

Ploid 3.0

Is it true that you can get a instant level 60 in test center? If so how?

Holy crap. 10k G wow, and stuff costing 1g. <3 test center

inky

Yes, that's how most MMOs work

Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile allow you to patch and they can do maintenance while the game never goes down or only for a few minutes. Games should be doing this all over, but aren't right now for some reason.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well gonna make some dinner, fully expect to see "servers are up" posted somewhere in this thread when Im back

please?

KePoW

Banned
Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile allow you to patch and they can do maintenance while the game never goes down or only for a few minutes. Games should be doing this all over, but aren't right now for some reason.

Yeah but that's rare, and it's hard to do from what I hear devs say.

Rhaknar

done with dinner, no servers, thanks Obama!

edit:

Hi all,

We're extending today's maintenance for a minimum of three hours. This is to fix a few server performance issues we discovered very late in Test Center and will include additional performance improvements for all players.

We're going to be having a special community event - an AMA of sorts which I'll be making a thread for soon.

guess I wont be hitting 60 on Ms Marvel tonight, oh well

borghe

performance actually really sucked hard since the last patch. it sounds like the extended down time is to address that. granted I'm at work right now, but to me that's a great thing. :p

Wallach

Ryolnir said:
Hi all,

We're extending today's maintenance for a minimum of three hours. This is to fix a few server performance issues we discovered very late in Test Center and will include additional performance improvements for all players.

We're going to be having a special community event - an AMA of sorts which I'll be making a thread for soon.

Blargh. So be it, then.

Lord Phol

performance actually really sucked hard since the last patch. it sounds like the extended down time is to address that. granted I'm at work right now, but to me that's a great thing. :p

Not for me since I gotta hit the bed in 3 hours :/. Guess that means no game time for me this weekend x.x.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
AMA is going on forum now.

Has there been any discussions about adding BLADE to the character roster?

Yes! Blade will definitely be in 2015, if not 2014. But more likely 2015.

Will the drop rate for costumes ever be heightened slightly? in the near future

No plans.

Iron Spiderman costume ever planned?

Absolutely.

Any word on the Attribute System changes?

This is on the list for either February or March!

Have you guys decided on who you're going to put into the Advance packs?
It's between Rogue (very likely), Mr. Fantastic, Blade and 1-2 possible others.

Since we've got the Uru items, what about Stark-tech? Any ETA for that?
StarkTech should be testable in late February/early March and live with Dr. Strange in March.

Is Gambit going to be getting a mini review of sorts to address all of issues the community has brought up any time soon?

Absolutely. Didn't make this patch but we're working on a number of changes.

Also, how rare are Uru forged items supposed to be?

Pretty rare in this patch since they're a preview - more common in the future (but never common.)

Will Ms. Marvel's Binary costume ever be improved from her baldness?

I'm going to talk to the art team about this bug. Just for you.

When can we expect to see the future king thor costume and will it be enhanced? And is Silver surfer coming in the summer ?

Thor costume: soon. Not enhanced. Silver Surfer: dates aren't final for any Advanced Pack.

Anything new you can share with us about Moon Knight?
He's awesome. His attack animations will be particularly brutal.

Any chance to make Bovinheim cheaper or buy with ES a recipe for it ? or something else ??

There will be a recipe, yep.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Dang, was a few splinters away from getting a new random box. Oh well, guess it will have to wait until tomorrow.

borghe

Dang, was a few splinters away from getting a new random box. Oh well, guess it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I have about 240ish splinters. I've been saving for cyclops... but the gambling addict in me wants to throw at a random. currently don't have 15 characters, so you'd think my odds are good... but not having at the time 19 characters I got dupes the last two times (then bought two during the bogo, no dupes). pretty sure I used up my random luck on the bogo.

At least they're honest about the costume drop rates.

hopefully I'm not hurting anyone's feelings here.... but yeah... costume drop rates are what they should be. it's literally the main money maker for the game, and IMHO the only people who usually complain about the near-non-existent drop rate are people who really want unemployed2win. aka they want everything in the game while paying absolutely nothing.

so sick of the forum posts where it's like "I've been playing since launch as a free player. I will eventually buy a costume when one hits me I really love to support the game though." No, you won't. When that comes out you will just complain about drop rates. And will complain that we need more free stash space. etc

/rant, sorry.

inky

IMHO the only people who usually complain about the near-non-existent drop rate are people who really want unemployed2win. aka they want everything in the game while paying absolutely nothing.

Yeah... no. I complain a lot about them (if you haven't heard :p). I've played since launch -regularly- and I've given them about $300. I do think they are terrible, as I have yet to see 1 drop in all this time.

IMHO too, they are nowhere near where they should be. 1x100 hours of play isn't asking too much I think, let alone 1x700 hours, which is what I nearly have. They suck and should be ashamed about it.

KePoW

Banned
IMHO the only people who usually complain about the near-non-existent drop rate are people who really want unemployed2win. aka they want everything in the game while paying absolutely nothing.

Haha that's funny, and I agree with you. I don't understand those people who expect literally 100% everything to be free... that's basically a pirate's mentality.

I finally bought Cyke last night. Keep saving. Bouncing optics is Loki levels of awesome.

I mentioned this a page or two ago, but every single one of the bouncing powers needs to be nerfed. They are just way too strong and stupid.

It's not good game design for classes to stand in one spot and hold down one ability 95% of the time.

shock33

I agree with Inky, I think there should be costumes that only drop (and can't be bought), and the drop rates should be looked at, or they should be very very rare drops from certain mobs (like modoks chair as far as I can tell). I know when they first added the chase costumes I was genuinely amazed when I first saw someone with the cyke phoenix 5 costume.

I think I've seen one costume drop in the ~300 hours I've played since launch on and off (bought the ultimate pack before launch and the advance pack as I'm more than happy to support it given how much I enjoy it).

borghe

IMHO too, they are nowhere near where they should be. 1x100 hours of play isn't asking too much I think, let alone 1x700 hours, which is what I nearly have. They suck and should be ashamed about it.

I know it's the most despised response in existence, but RNG is RNG. I actually personally know two people who have had costume drops each with... umm... not 700 hours. Probably somewhere in the 100-200 ballpark each. And the posts on the forums of people with definitely under 200 hours.

I totally get the frustration, but I still contend the point that they are the ONLY real money maker (most people will either only buy a couple stash spaces, or even more cheaply I found out buy only a couple between crafting and hero spaces). Any positive change to the drop rate ultimately will affect their bottom line (both from actual drops, and the knowledge that the rate is increased so the more willing desire to just wait for drops). Just a counterpoint, not really trying to change minds.

I agree with Inky, I think there should be costumes that only drop

I actually agreed with this a few pages back, and still sort of agree with it. The problem (according to gaz directly) is that no one wants their ONLY chance to get their favorite costume to be left to RNG (hence the fail safe currency). Plus from a business sense it's money left off of the table. but yeah.... one of the defining things of an ARPG is that super rare cosmetic piece that shows "hey guys, look what dropped for me!!!!!!!!!"

I mentioned this a page or two ago, but every single one of the bouncing powers needs to be nerfed. They are just way too strong and stupid.

It's not good game design for classes to stand in one spot and hold down one ability 95% of the time.

Cyke, unlike Loki, can't really stand still and do it. He gets smeared so easily. But yes, I agree. Bouncing abilities are way overpowered. Heck, all self-targeting abilities are right now.

shock33

I agree in terms of normal costumes and not wanting people to be at the mercy of rng, it would be good to have something (even if it's an alt colour one - though I guess Marvel would step in) that is drop exclusive cosmetic though.

Heck, if they just put in more variety of visual effects it would be nice, or a way to customise the colour for example of the smoke/hex/lightning etc so there is a little opportunity to customise the visuals.

inky

I know it's the most despised response in existence, but RNG is RNG. I actually personally know two people who have had costume drops each with... umm... not 700 hours. Probably somewhere in the 100-200 ballpark each. And the posts on the forums of people with definitely under 200 hours.

I totally get the frustration, but I still contend the point that they are the ONLY real money maker (most people will either only buy a couple stash spaces, or even more cheaply I found out buy only a couple between crafting and hero spaces).

Well, it is despised due to reasons I've stated before and I'm not going to keep repeating. They weigh splinter drops, don't they? No reason they can't do the same with costumes so I don't take it as a valid response at all. They could and choose not to.

I thought Fortune Cards are there as well, are they not? You yourself said they are a "fair" whale mechanic, and as we all know, "whales" are the ones who keep F2P games alive. The few who pay for the many who don't. So now only costumes (fixed price, finite items that a whale can obtain rather easily instead of gambling for them) are the ONLY real money maker? 1 pack makes them as much money as several costumes combined without in fact guaranteeing even 1 costume, so I don't see it.

The truth is, in the end, I don't really care about their bottom line beyond how I've chosen to support the game, and I don't want to change minds either. The drop rates fucking suck by design. They are not "fair" or acceptable in any way to me, and as a player I am always going to complain about that, whether someone feels what I've paid for the game is enough or not.

Since we're waiting for servers to come up I figure I'd get some opinions on this from you guys. So with this new patch Gaz has implemented a new lighting system that IMO makes characters look worse. I made a comparison that you can see below that shows the darker overall look the new lighting has (it's most noticeable on red outfits and skin color).

Old lighting is on the left and the new on the right.

ryci.png

What do you guys think looks better?

Rhaknar

the left one looks like someone is shooting a spotlight on her, so I prefer the right one

Wallach

I really prefer the new lighting on most heroes. It improved the differences in texture and lighting detail on most costumes. There were a few where I thought they looked a bit odd, like Wolverine who looks a bit greasy now.

inky

I'd have to see it in game, but it does look worse for showcasing some details. They've always had this weird bloom effect and I remember white costumes especially suffered from that, tho, so maybe that is what they are correcting.

Sometimes I feel the game looks great (I remember taking HQ, non-lossy pics without the HUD and a lot of stuff added through NVIDIA Control Panel), and sometimes they just don't get the materials, or colors, or hues right at all. It is kinda inconsistent in that sense. The way models downgrade from their initial render plays a part too, but that is inevitable with a game of this scale.

borghe

yeah, I have to see it in-game as well. From a screenshot perspective obviously the old version looks "fancier/flashier". But that's not to say it's perfect (actually exaggerated may be a better description)

edit - I will say based on the screenshots, the new one looks more realistic(?) even if much more muted/subtle.

KePoW

Banned
The left pic does not look natural for an indoor shot (which is where it looks like you are).

Also you need to inject some AA bro!

inky

Meh, I don't think they answered any of my questions =/ LOL @ Nova, he still lives apparently.

Hopefully the game is up after I'm done walking the doggies.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Someday. Not sure on this sorry (items team is off designing stuff). No plans to expand Odin Marks. Relic auto stacking = yes!

best change ever apart from the lq sharing

vazel

Banned
I prefer my comic book heroes to be bright and vibrant. I don't like this new subdued lighting system that makes colors darker.

borghe

well ummm... damn. here I was thinking "thanks for downtime during work suckas!!!!! bwahahahaha"

gah.

I prefer my comic book heroes to be bright and vibrant. I don't like this new subdued lighting system that makes colors darker.

after looking at the pic above a bit more... subtlety difference aside, I'll say the costume actually looks better. the left pic is more washed out even if brighter. you can actually see the detail on her costume better (stitching, subtle light sources, etc) better in the right pic, even if it's darker (which IMHO may be the telling thing). Again, I'll have to see it in-game.. but even though the left pic looks bolder and more vibrant, there are more "improved aspects" of the right pic that end up putting it over. We'll see if I can ever connect to the servers again.

Top Bottom