• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

I am thrilled by this news.

Marvel's mobile games, despite free-to-play issues, are really high quality. They each do completely different things, and are made with care and attention to detail.

I have a feeling Marvel's Telltale game is going to be Guardians of the Galaxy. I'd be down with that :)

Neoxon

Oh, yeah, I don't think they're going to do that in the most direct sense.

If Telltale is making a Thor game and wants Spider-Man to show up in an episode, and Insomniac has already picked out a voice actor and design or whatever for Spider-Man in video games, it's plausible they'll just use that, but I don't think they'll do anything on the scale of the MCU.
But what about something like MvC4, would they be bound to the Spider-Man design Insomniac made?

Marvel is not that dumb. The deal probably has duration like Star Wars games for EA like 10 years

I doubt that their deal is anywhere that long. Insomniac still has to prove that they can make a good Spider-Man game, their track record isn't exactly flawless. I also don't think it's a given that this game will be a financial success. The last Spider-Man game has been released on 3DS, WiiU, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One and PC. The new one will only be released on PS4. I really wonder what their sales expectations are.

619565boxart_160w.jpg
spiderman on the gamecube was my SHIT

It's funny how that looks like a PlayStation 3 and GameCube cover at the same time.

Oh, and I wonder what an Iron Man game made by Insomniac would be like... He might be a bit too OP for a video game, though.

And devs around the world start preparing their pitches, because who doesn't want to emulate what Rocksteady have accomplished? Gonna be interesting to see what comes out of these deals.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sucks that it's exclusive.
Sunset Overdrive was an epic hero-style game, I have no doubt in Insomniac.

This is very exciting. Ong sounds like a cool dude. I like that the games will be standalone like the Arkham series. Developers should be able to do what they want without having to worry about shipping their games at a certain date to coincide with a film release. And it means they can be more creative with their projects. I'm glad that the Sony/Insomniac Spider-Man will be a series. I think they'll be a good fit for Spidey. Thank God Activision is out of the picture. I look forward to seeing more Marvel games. It's about damn time.

I wonder if losing Spider-Man will signal to Activision that they need to stop underfunding dev teams, treating them like crap, and actually have respect for the IPs they have.

Like, have a greater commitment to quality across the board than exhibited in the past.

A Punisher game by Rockstar, that would be my cup of tea.

I don't think they'd ever work on an IP they themselves didn't create.

CHC

Kind of a shame they won't be coming to PC for 4K / 60 FPS / legacy / customizability, but if that's the price we play to get good Marvel games than so be it.

Anung

Un Rama

Plus I think The Punisher who focuses on guns shouldn't have terrible controls.

EDIT: Remembered Max Payne 3 which had great controls. Still doesn't feel like a good fit for the character though.

Kind of a shame they won't be coming to PC for 4K / 60 FPS / legacy / customizability, but if that's the price we play to get good Marvel games than so be it.

Where'd they say no PC?

Unless you mean just the Spider-Man games, then yeah, that's a shame, but are you gonna do?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder what this means for the future of Ratchet and Clank.

Tick-tock with it?

Insomniac seem to have a fairly productive pipeline at the moment. I could see them doing a a different game again after Spiderman - ala Ratchet or Sunset Overdrive - then maybe another Spidey, then maybe a game or two else... In fact I think they are multi-team now, what with their VR stuff too, so I think they could juggle at least a couple of regular franchises.

vg260

Because the same reasoning would still apply. As they said in their piece:

So when you're getting the Neo version, chances are that it's with all bells and whistles turned up, and not the framerate.

It depends what these "bells and whistles" are and how noticeable they are. While I do know they develop their game based on the best looking 30 fps game they can, that's with the fixed default hardware. We have yet to see how they will approach something like the Neo, which Sony is saying is for partially for enthusiasts they don't want to defect to the PC. (IMO 30 to 60 fps >>> "bells and whistles")

We shall see.

FelipeMGM

I wonder if losing Spider-Man will signal to Activision that they need to stop underfunding dev teams, treating them like crap, and actually have respect for the IPs they have.

Like, have a greater commitment to quality across the board than exhibited in the past.

Like they did with Max Payne?

Sesha

It's a shame Radical Entertainment is not what they once were. I'd love another Hulk game by them. Maybe Volition could do it justice.

…wait, I think I know what would be great. Hear me out, guys.

Planet Hulk, by Platinum.

tumblr_inline_mrsgwsfg5h1qz4rgp.gif

Phamit

They made a "The Warriors" game and worked on Max Payne 3. So there are exceptions and Punisher seems like good fit for Rockstar

Neoxon

It's a shame Radical Entertainment is not what they once were. I'd love another Hulk game by them. Maybe Volition could do it justice.

…wait, I think I know what would be great. Hear me out, guys.

Planet Hulk, by Platinum.

tumblr_inline_mrsgwsfg5h1qz4rgp.gif
That would be amazing.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Actually now that I think about it, this is what I want to know too.

I mean, Marvel/Disney owns his property in comics, tv shows, and now movies, but what if Sony worked a deal out for the franchise on video games in return for the deal for movie rights going back to Marvel Studios?

If the partnership works,w e could potentially even see Disney working with Sony on other things since they dont have a game studio any more.

Yfw Disney and Sony vs Nintendo and Universal.
vs Microsoft and Six Flags
Sony still owns the movie right. That hasn't changed.

Salex_

I think he means the Spider-Man game. And to be fair, Marvel did shoot down Capcom's request for a PC port in fear of people modding their characters. But seeing that Disney Infinity was on PC, maybe Marvel eased up on all that.

Damn, I hope Capcom asks them again now that they changed their stance on that. I don't have a last gen console anymore and I would love to be able to play umvc3 again.

F4r0_Atak

Capcom would have to renew the license first.

Do they have the money or will to do it?

......RIP my dream X-Men game.

Hulk/Wolverine tag team action game by Platinum then!!

I know that Platinum are usually great developers, but their latest track record seems to be a little bit off than their usual quality output. Also, no X-Men or FF games until Fox shares the movies rights with Marvel. Btw, who owns the Blade movies rights? Was it Fox or Sony?

Not just good, great games if not top tier ones. They are not content with just "good" games. Here's a quote to clarify this...

Summary:
  • Jay notes that in the past, they used to take about 30% of console game opportunities that are presented to them. These days it's more like 10%.
  • He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games. So far their two publicly announced partners are Insomniac and Telltale. He speaks very fondly of the LEGO games, but IIRC that's run out of the mobile licensing division.

Neoxon

Damn, I hope Capcom asks them again now that they changed their stance on that. I don't have a last gen console anymore and I would love to be able to play umvc3 again.
I'd imagine that Capcom would push for a PC version if they either try to renew the UMvC3 license or enter negotiations with Marvel for MvC4.

A goddamn shame if it's all going to be Sony and not multiplatform. At the end of the day it won't matter though, because eventually i will own all the consoles.

Top Bottom